Nokia rumored to shift toward Silicon Valley, Windows Phone 7

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

One final question why did you jump to this person's defence ?

One reason could be that in my time on this forum, he has never seen me go into mindless, whiny, useless diatribes that goes no where. This seems as good a reason as any. Can you say the same?
  • Reply 102 of 107
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Wow the vile spewing forth my direction !

Because you went off the deep end.

Quote:

Why ? I simply asked him/her/it why they put in xenophobia into otherwise what is a purely technical discussion. All I got from it and it's lackeys were drivel about my lack of intelligence, ignorance of history etc. etc. etc.

Because it wasn't xenophobic to claim that Finns aren't likely to ever let Nokia be sold to Microsoft or any other US company. The Finns don't hate americans or the US. That you went off the deep end because his example of Finn tenacity was them kicking Russian ass isn't his problem but yours. The Russians attacked with 21 divisions and got stomped by the Finnish defense losing 3500 tanks, 125K dead and 180K wounded.

Granted they did break the line and Finland would have gone down within months but they still got their butts kicked.

Quote:

idiotic rant deleted

• Reply 103 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

You obviously have little clue about Finnish pride and the Finnish sense of nationalism. Nokia is FInland and Finland is Nokia. You haven't gotten the memo yet. The two are intertwined. You are talking about a country of around 5.5 million people who speak one of the most difficult languages in the world, who were kicking the shit out of the Russians until Sweden decided not to allow allied overflight rights, who have some of the best Formula One drivers in the world, ski jumpers, cross-country skiers, Lasse Viren, etc.... Finland lost part of Karelia in the war and they still cry about this during the Veterans Day celebrations. No, Nokia will not be sold to anyone. Ever.

As a Sweden I can understand this. But, we live in disrupting times where history is beginning to have less grip on the present. On stage we see two former Microsoft colleagues, Elop and Ballmer conducting the Nokia presentation. At least the organisation info reveals that Jorma Ollila is still chairman of the board of Nokia.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reinterpret_cast View Post

As a Sweden I can understand this. But, we live in disrupting times where history is beginning to have less grip on the present. On stage we see two former Microsoft colleagues, Elop and Ballmer conducting the Nokia presentation. At least the organisation info reveals that Jorma Ollila is still chairman of the board of Nokia.

The odds of Nokia being purchased by a US company is about as high as Sony getting purchased by a US company. Or GM by a european company. Not impossible but unlikely.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Why bother with a purchase if you can place your people in key positions of control? I expect to see further appointments/hires of ex-MS personnel in the coming months, possibly even some shuffling of the board.

At some point Nokia management is simply an MS puppet regime, and MS gets anything they want without having to spend a dime. If the board will sit still for dumping Symbian and moving HQ to California, they're pretty much down for anything.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reinterpret_cast View Post

Exactly. Some of my Finnish co-workers have been heard to say: "WE WANT JORMA BACK".
  • Reply 107 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Your statement about the disruptive product is pretty much spot on. Ignore it and it will go away because we are too stubborn to change. Especially in a field where they dominated for so long. Not to mention companies like Motorola, with their crappy phones did not foster a lot of confidence in American cellular technology. It is/was a combination of your last sentence. You nailed it.

Arrogance is the flip coin of the finnish culture of being "the quiet underdog". Once you become successful and do it for long enough, arrogance/complacency does set in. That's what happened here. Many of the managers made a fortune in the dotcom boom and so lost a big part of their hunger as well. Also the lack of a real external competitor let the company's competitiveness focus inward (with known bad results). I had hoped, that they would have taken iPhone seriously a few years back and focused the energy outward instead of inward. Now we know they didn't. If they had, the story would likely have been different.

Personally I also think that a lawyer (OPK) or accountant should never be a CEO of a multinational giant. Focus goes the wrong way.

Had iPhone come from a Swedish company, the national rivarly would have made a difference much sooner I'm sure.