Apple may be prepping iPad 3 for fall 2011 launch - rumor

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 104
    Either he is a paid plant for the likes of Google/HP/Motorola/MSFT/[insert name], or he is absolutely clueless.



    I can't believe that AI thinks that this even rises to the level of an interesting rumor.



    Given the iPad's momentum -- leaving aside the fact that it's the only game in town in a product category that it has created and owns -- there's no way that Apple would have come up with the much-discussed iPad 2. It would have just waited and come out with a newer/later one instead. Moreover, given how busy the rest of Apple's calendar is, the Feb/Mar announcement timeframe with an Apr/May release date for the iPad is too good to pass up.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post


    Yes, and I don't think it would be impossible they would do this either. Maybe they will go the way I've been speculating (and quietly hoping) they would go: differentiate the iPad line a little bit, offering a lower-cost version that's the iPad as we know it, and a more expensive high-end/HD iPad with a retina display. Instead of doing this straight away with iPad 2 they'd be smearing it out over 6 months. Of course this is just guesswork but to me it makes sense: keep the iPad buzz going throughout the whole of 2011, offer something the competition can't match (a tablet with retina display), without having to increase the entry-level price or cut into their own margins.



    I've been suggesting that Apple would do an iPad HD as part of the iPad2 launch, even explaining how it will help them improve display yields as they ramp production. But this might make more sense - they get an additional 6 months to work out yield issues and moving the iPad updates to fall makes sense.



    Those who argue that Apple needn't do this because the competition is so far behind are missing a couple of things. First, there will be a relentless onslaught of devices from other manufacturers competing for attention.



    More importantly, think about the difference between the iPod and the iPhone. Apple never gave anyone a chance to catch the iPod, going as far as killing their top-selling Mini to introduce the Nano. They were less aggressive with iPhone upgrades and never really delivered the "knock-out" blow to keep competition off-balance - the iPhone 4 came a full year late.



    I think Apple may be trying to recreate the iPod phenomenon with the iPad.



    Quote:

    I'm not so sure doing something similar would 'butcher iPad 2 sales' or make people feel 'screwed over' because they just bought the iPad 2: the way things are looking there will be next to no reason at all for iPad 1 owners to upgrade to iPad 2 anyway, and if the high-end 'iPad 2.5 HD' edition would be more expensive it would be targetting a different demographic.



    Yeah, these butchering sales and ticking people off arguments are overblown. This will not be a direct replacement for the device they bought; it will be a higher-end device with a higher price tag. May have some people rushing to sell their almost new iPad on eBay as they upgrade though.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Gruber is pretty much full of himself. like today. reminds me of the pompous old Cringley. the web does this to some people.



    iPad 3, when it comes early next year as usual, will certainly be a big technical leap ahead of what Apple has done before, and everything else in the market (like the iPhone 3GS was two years after the original 2G). the two huge advances that would be such breakthroughs are the much rumored retina display and a carbon fiber shell that cut the iPad's weight in half.



    this Fall, Apple has much more important innovations to introduce for its entire iOS ecosystem, not just the annual iPod refresh. remember, this will follow on the heels of the huge launch of OS X Lion in the summer.



    There has to be some kind of "anywhere" iTunes streaming coming, and probably the 2011 iPods - even the Shuffle? - will be able to access it via wifi or at least blutooth. certainly the wifi equipped Touch. but bigger than that for Holiday sales season, and a tie-in to the iPad that might generate the murmurs Siegler is hearing, would be enabling AppleTV to run a new third category of iOS apps. they might also run on the iPad, or use it for the UI interface, or both. this would take AirPlay and Apple TV to their full potential. Apple has no reason to wait beyond this year for this - the hardware is capable now.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    No technology company worth it's salt is going to care about pissing previous customers off because of a newer higher specced version coming out or they would never release anything. Nor does it collapse sales unless it is a confirmed release, not a rumour. There is a rumour (in fact it is more than a rumour) that there is an iPhone 5 coming out in June. Are sales collapsing? no. When will sales be harmed - when Apple offically announces the iPhone 5 - and for that reason they should announce much closer to release than they did last year.



    The mistake people here make is assuming that everybody reads tech sites. They dont care. An actual announcement is however, covered in full and on page one by non-tech papers and television news. That's when people notice. Last year Steve Jobs came onstage and joked about people recognising the iPhone. It was old news to tech heads because of Gizmodo's adventures in Pub crawling. What happened after the official announcement - sales of the iPhone 3GS collapsed ( as they later admitted in their conference call). We all knew about the iPhone 4, the rest of the world - potential iPhone buyers - did not care. The official announcement was when they took notice.



    And Apple need to up their game this year, of all years. There will be dozens of Android announcements between April 2010 and April 2011. Hardware will matter. The iPad2 may look quite dated by mid next year. A retina display, where Apple have the supply of 9.7 inch high resolution displays sown up, well that will matter. That will show the rest of them who is boss.



    Two releases this year, makes sense.



    Oh my, we actually agree on something.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    It makes a lot of sense.

    1. Christmas purchases won't be regreted or postponed, because March/April's new model release.

    2. Apple could easly push sale of 1 year old model in summer under Back to School program

    What do you say?
  • Reply 46 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxijazz View Post


    It makes a lot of sense.

    1. Christmas purchases won't be regreted or postponed, because March/April's new model release.

    2. Apple could easly push sale of 1 year old model in summer under Back to School program

    What do you say?



    Very good...the christmas quarter is always the largest! You're right, it does make sense in that way!
  • Reply 47 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post


    Whenever the next version is on the verge of coming out, there should always be strong rumors afoot about the impending development of the version to follow. That way we can enjoy all these comments from people who have plans to purchase an iPad but want to hold off until they can get a version with still more bells and whistles. It's a great way to save money because they'll never end up purchasing a tablet until years down the road - when tablets themselves inevitably become obsolete as a form factor and product by the introduction of the next great game-changer.



    Congratulations to these brave folks - those who are willing to put their courage to the test by indefinitely delaying the their personal intersections with the iPad user experience.



    My wife and I envy them, since she and I - weak souls that we are - capitulated by each getting WiFi + 3G iPads on April 30, the day they went on sale. We call on those who are heroically holding off to pity us for our lack of fortitude. It has been a trying nine months, using our iPads continuously to support and supplement our daily activities. For those of us who have already crossed the iPad Rubicon, we can envy those who have never partaken of the experience. Consider our suffering should we be deprived of our daily iPad addiction now that we have enjoyed them so very much these many months.



    +++ QFT



    Why did you wait for the 3G version... I bought a WiFi, then a 3G... Gained a few months of misery.
  • Reply 48 of 104
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    +++ QFT



    Why did you wait for the 3G version... I bought a WiFi, then a 3G... Gained a few months of misery.



    The WiFi went on sale April 3 and the 3G on April 30, so you had perhaps 27 additional days of misery. Along with the income tax deadline, April must have been a tough month for you, Dick. My condolences.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post


    The WiFi went on sale April 3 and the 3G on April 30, so you had perhaps 27 additional days of misery. Along with the income tax deadline, April must have been a tough month for you, Dick. My condolences.



    Well, my brain has been addled by the extra misiry!
  • Reply 50 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    For heaven's sake, Gruber is making an educated guess based on some pretty sound reasoning. Doesn't mean that's going to happen, but it's not like some affront to decency that requires money be put down so that score can be kept.



    It's a ridiculous guess and it hardly sounds educated. It deserves ridicule. Apple is not going to release an iPad3 a few months after they release iPad2.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    It's a ridiculous guess and it hardly sounds educated. It deserves ridicule. Apple is not going to release an iPad3 a few months after they release iPad2.



    Again, by this logic Apple can never change their product rollout schedule, ever. Think about it. The product mix changes, the competitive landscape changes, Apple's income stream changes, but they can't do anything about it. Because they released a particular device at a particular point in time, they are required to wait one full year before an update, each and every time, forever.



    It seems to me that that's more ridiculous than allowing for the idea that Apple can release an update to a product at the six month point, which for some reason you imagine to be a violation of some fundamental principal. It really isn't.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    It's a ridiculous guess and it hardly sounds educated. It deserves ridicule. Apple is not going to release an iPad3 a few months after they release iPad2.



    Apple will not be releasing replacement devices, rather they will add to the line a high-end device with HD at a higher price. They could also offer a smaller device in the 7-8 inch range but I see that as less likely.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    This is not as crazy as it seems.



    1. The iPod is to all intents and purposes on its last legs, so having a major launch for it does not make any sense. The iPad is the natural successor to the iPod.



    2. A launch in the fall would gives the iPad a lot of hype at the time they want it, pre-Christmas, and no more the dilemma of should I wait until after Christmas b/c will launch a new one in the Spring.



    3. For those that say they cannot have two iPad launches in one year, it will destroy consumer confidence, just take a look at all those suckers at Verizon, We all know that iPhone 5 is to be announced in 2 - 3 months, so who in the right mind is going to buy an iPhone 4 at present? 2+ million at Verizon that is.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Again, by this logic Apple can never change their product rollout schedule, ever. Think about it. The product mix changes, the competitive landscape changes, Apple's income stream changes, but they can't do anything about it. Because they released a particular device at a particular point in time, they are required to wait one full year before an update, each and every time, forever.



    It seems to me that that's more ridiculous than allowing for the idea that Apple can release an update to a product at the six month point, which for some reason you imagine to be a violation of some fundamental principal. It really isn't.



    It's funny to observe some Apple watchers. Steve said something so it must always be so. Apple has always done it this way, so they will always do it the same going forward. I'm not sure why people get the idea that Apple is in any way rigid since they have demonstrated remarkable flexibility over the years.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    Another rumor with no substantiation. While the concept sounds good only time will tell. I would think another company would have to come up with a tablet that has some spectacular features that the IPAD doesn't for APPLE to release 2 tablets in one year.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    It seems to me that that's more ridiculous than allowing for the idea that Apple can release an update to a product at the six month point, which for some reason you imagine to be a violation of some fundamental principal. It really isn't.



    Apple plays chess, not checkers, like some other companies do. I'm pretty sure that they have their moves planned out far in advance. For them to do something as stupid and amateurish as the rumor suggests, well, I just don't buy into it.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    iPad 2 in april/march, and then in september iPad 2 with optional retina display (extra $100 or whatever).



    They did that with the macbook pros. They gave an option of an upgraded screen and it wasn't some big even or release, and the rest of the computer didn't change.



    Also it would be a great 'one more thing' for the iPod event, and since the iPad is literally a big ipod touch it's a perfect time.
  • Reply 58 of 104
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdorei View Post


    1. The iPod is to all intents and purposes on its last legs, so having a major launch for it does not make any sense. The iPad is the natural successor to the iPod.



    good god, man, the "iPod touch" IS really a mini-iOS tablet. the Touch IS the successor to the iPod. Apple just played a smart marketing game by calling it an iPod instead of a pad or tablet, to set up that succession in the market place. it already does account for 2/3 of iPod sales now. it is certainly not on its last legs.



    what becomes of the Nano and the Shuffle is an interesting topic about the technological future of such tiny gizmos. but i bet you blutooth ear phones are coming soon for them, maybe this year. getting rid of the wires is the first real problem to solve. probably within five years they'll be miniature media phones. heck, maybe next year.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Apple plays chess, not checkers, like some other companies do. I'm pretty sure that they have their moves planned out far in advance. For them to do something as stupid and amateurish as the rumor suggests, well, I just don't buy into it.



    Except you're not explaining what's "stupid and amateurish" about it. A new iPad in the spring, a new top end model in the fall. How is that a bad idea?
  • Reply 60 of 104
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post


    Yes, and I don't think it would be impossible they would do this either. Maybe they will go the way I've been speculating (and quietly hoping) they would go: differentiate the iPad line a little bit, offering a lower-cost version that's the iPad as we know it, and a more expensive high-end/HD iPad with a retina display. Instead of doing this straight away with iPad 2 they'd be smearing it out over 6 months. Of course this is just guesswork but to me it makes sense: keep the iPad buzz going throughout the whole of 2011, offer something the competition can't match (a tablet with retina display), without having to increase the entry-level price or cut into their own margins.



    I'm not so sure doing something similar would 'butcher iPad 2 sales' or make people feel 'screwed over' because they just bought the iPad 2: the way things are looking there will be next to no reason at all for iPad 1 owners to upgrade to iPad 2 anyway, and if the high-end 'iPad 2.5 HD' edition would be more expensive it would be targetting a different demographic.



    I'm all for it! An iPad with a retina display would be an instant buy for me, even if it were $100 more expensive than the non-HD version, and right now I'm still so happy with my iPad 1 I have no problem using it for another 9 months anyway.



    I don't think this September product release will happen. If they did do this the price difference would have to be more than $100 as the difference couldn't just be a retina display otherwise it wouldn't make sense.
Sign In or Register to comment.