AT&T counters Verizon iPhone with new 'Mobile to Any Mobile' offer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

THESE PHUCKERs aren't giving ANYTHING away for free... you want the 'free' (i.e.; enter your credit card number here...) then upgrade to the $30 TEXT PLAN yeah right PHUCKOFF AT$T =I wil be canceling my ATT contract this THURSDAY ... GOODBYE att... see ya

I didn't ask why unlimited calling to mobile phones wasn't free. I asked why it was tied to a texting plan.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyepad View Post

I already love AT&T service, 5 bars everywhere I go, and ultra fast 3.5G internet.

This just makes it better

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Guess I'm one of the "fortunate" ones too then, since I've had 5 bars on AT&T for 4 years of iPhone.

And all the other 30/40 million iPhones on AT&T must be just "putting up with it"

Do either of you live in FL or in the south east region. I live in south florida and in FL att is king, their network no dropped calls , amazing signal strength even on iPhone, I've always wondered about the people that complain abut att if it's just a regional thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

I have been insulted on this site and the moderators don't give a stuff.

These people who insult should be banned, instead I am being ignored or belittled.

If these moderators cannot do their job properly, I think they should step down.

Come one ban me, this will be just like censorship, because you don't like criticism right.

Shut up Meg!
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

France has a problem with carrier collusion. They keep getting fined, but fines are less expensive than what their methods ill-gain them. IMHO, what's needed is a fine system where when you get fined, you pay both a fine and have to surrender all the ill gotten money in tax.

As long as it doesn't work this way, France will have prices way higher than its neighbours.

I'm not very good in english so i don't all understand what are you say, specialy the part with the taxes.But if i've been undersood what did you say,it's true there is a lot of probleme of collusion in france beetween the three carriers, there have already been ordered by the court for the periode 1998-2001 and 2004-2006.we will soon have a new carrier in 2012 and I hope things will change soon.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I didn't ask why unlimited calling to mobile phones wasn't free. I asked why it was tied to a texting plan.

because they want your money....

i already had unlimited family messaging. i have to since my 21 yr old daughter texts 7000 or so a month, and is on my plan. So it really doesnt cost me more it just adds a well deserved feature to my current plan.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Be sure before you start changing your ATT plan that you qualify. Spoke to 3 different ATT associates and got 3 different stories.

That's the ATT I remember, and refuse to go back to. Their associates are perfectly happy answering your question without regard to whether or not they actually know what the hell they're talking about. And if you're dumb enough to actually believe what an ATT rep tells you, but the bill doesn't reflect it, they just shrug their shoulders and say too bad. It's the customer's fault for believing the ATT employee. After being screwed over this way 3 different times for varying amounts of money, I finally lost my patience. I'm using an Android phone because I absolutely refuse to be an ATT customer anymore. When my plan is up maybe I'll try one of these Verizon iPhones..
  • Reply 26 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Back to the good old days of competition between carriers it seems. Before we know it we will have TV ads featuring several nerdy guys each representing a carrier doing wacky things and the cute, less nerdy one representing the advertiser's own brand ... oh wait a minute ...
  • Reply 27 of 43
    I just got off the phone with AT&T. If you have the 700 minute or above family plan and unlimited texting you are eligible for mobile to any mobile but apparently you have to call them to switch your unlimited texting plan to the new plan that includes mobile to any mobile. Just did it, not hard at all. Not sure what the plan is for single users.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    off topic but on-discussion: NYC and SF Bay have the most issues with ATT. i live in Connecticut and have never had a problem with ATT until i go into NYC. it's a pain there - at least 1 in 10 calls get dropped, and voicemails come through 15 minutes after someone calls [even though your phone never rings]. i can put up with it in the two days a month i spend in the city.

back on topic: can someone please link to a simple chart comparing the iPhone plans on ATT vs VZW?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oshioshi View Post

I think the pricing structure in the US for mobile communication is really sad.

I live in Austria, and i pay with the 3rd largest provider Orange for 1000 minutes free voice in all networks, unlimited voice to Orange, 1000 SMS to all networks, unlimited SMS to Orange, 3 GB of data without speed cap, and 300 minutes of active & passive voice roaming to/in all european countries plus some other a monthly fee of 18,80 Euro. And that includes all this. 18,80 EUR!

How much would this package cost in the US?

US cell networks have always sucked compared to the rest of the world. Slower and more expensive. It's not even a little bit it's a lot, like 3 to 4 times as expensive (see http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10307726-94.html)

I don't expect this will ever really change, too many people make money off of ignorant american families.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    BTW, this offer from AT&T is still a rip-off, because it requires you get unlimited text messaging. Anyone with half a brain on an iPhone is using Textnow or Textplus for FREE text messaging. Which is the way it should be– text messages are data, and should be part of your data plan, not a separate $20 charge.

This is essentially AT&T trying to trick people into paying for unlimited messaging, since they know if you have an iPhone you get get apps which give you msgs for free.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    textnow is not exactly as convenient as normal texting.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    What a little competition can do!
  • Reply 33 of 43
    To little to late....sayonara ATT
  • Reply 34 of 43
    I have Verizon Nationwide Unlimited Talk & Text plan to any mobile network and it gives me what AT&T is offering. I don't have to worry about who I'm calling. They also have plans that allow you to choose any of 5 or 10 numbers to call without using your minutes.

My unlimited plan has 2 phones and it's only $119 per month + the usual taxes and fees. I don't see that AT&T is offering anything better that Verizon doesn't already offer. btw: I live in cow country and AT&T doesn't even show up in our pasture!
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

textnow is not exactly as convenient as normal texting.

It definitely is not... neither is Google Voice (it is better at voicemail, but requires a seperate application than the phone). It is difficult to explain to most people that they should call you on one number & then text you on a different number; plain & simple.

Back to the topic at hand: I have a premier account & when signing on to the website, I am offered 4 different texting options.

1) iPhone Messaging Unlimited (the only choice when I subscribed) - $20

You?ve got unlimited data for your iPhone, why not get unlimited messaging? With iPhone Messaging Unlimited, you never have to worry about sending or receiving text, picture or video messages again. Send as many as you want, to as many friends and family as you want, as often as you want.

Prices are billed monthly and are valid for use in the U.S. only. Charges for international messages sent from the U.S. are $0.25 for Text Messages and $0.50 for Picture/Video Messages. Charges for usage while roaming internationally: $0.50 for each text message sent, $1.30 for each picture/video message sent. Standard rates apply to all incoming messages.

2) Messaging Unlimited (AT&T Recommends) - $20

The freedom to message any way to anyone

Unlimited text, picture, video, and Instant Messaging (IM) messages.

Text messaging

Private, to-the-point communication

Just type the message, pick a wireless phone number, and send

Picture and video messaging

Share a smile, a cute moment, or that thing you just have to buy

Snap the photo or video with your camera phone, pick a mobile phone or email address, and send

Instant Messaging

Chat real-time with IM on your phone

Use AOL® Instant Messenger, Yahoo!®, and Windows Live Messenger®

Learn more

More about messaging

Prices are billed monthly and are valid for use in the U.S. only. Charges for international messages sent from the U.S. are $0.25 for Text Messages and $0.50 for Picture/Video Messages. Charges for usage while roaming internationally: $0.50 for each text message sent, $1.30 for each picture/video message sent. Standard rates apply to all incoming messages. For full details on Messaging & Data Bundles, go to att.com/mediaterms. Unlimited Data package required for CV Video, XM Radio, MobiTV and MobiRadio users. Pay-Per-Use Charges: Text/Instant Messaging $0.20 per message; Picture/Video Messages $0.30 per message; Web browsing $2/MB Applies to new customers or customers who change voice plans, or cancel data plans on or after 7/31/09, otherwise 1¢/KB. MEdia? Net and Data Unlimited are not available on PDAs/Pocket PCs, RIM® devices or LaptopConnect cards. Additional subscription and download charges may apply.

3) Messaging Unlimited With Mobile to Any Mobile - $20

Unlimited Calling and Messaging to or from any Mobile in the U.S., Puerto Rico, or U.S.V.I. Messaging Unlimited includes domestic Text, Picture, Video and Instant Messaging.

4) Messaging 1000 - $10

Stay connected anytime, all the time, 1000 text, picture, video, and Instant Messaging (IM) messages per month. Additional messages are 10 cents each. For a low monthly fee, Messaging 1000 gives you 1000 text, picture, video, and instant messaging.

Text messaging

Fast, fun, to-the-point communication

Just type the message, pick a wireless phone number, and send

Picture and video messaging

Share a smile, a cute moment, or that item you just have to buy

Snap the photo or video with your camera phone, pick a mobile phone or email, and send

Instant Messaging

Chat real-time with IM on your phone

Use AOL® Instant Messenger, Yahoo!®, and Windows Live Messenger®

Prices are billed monthly and are valid for use in the U.S. only. Charges for international messages sent from the U.S. are $0.25 for Text Messages and $0.50 for Picture/Video Messages. Charges for usage while roaming internationally: $0.50 for each text message sent, $1.30 for each picture/video message sent, and $0.0195 for each kilobyte used. Standard rates apply to all incoming messages. Additional charges for premium messages and content apply. For full details on Messaging & Data Bundles, go to att.com/mediaterms, Pay-Per-Use Charges: Text/Instant Messaging $0.20 per message; Picture/Video Messages $0.30 per message.

Why would they have 3 options that seem to be essentially the same thing? Obviously customers would want the most beneficial (choice 3) to them, if all else is equal. This reminds me of AOL, where you could still use their service for free, you just needed to call and cancel any automatic payments they were gladly accepting. Anyone else?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    I'm not sure who you people are texting, but my friends don't exactly have a problem sending their text messages to a "Dan text" entry saved in their addressbooks Or just replying to the texts I send.

Yes you have to explain it to them the first time, but its not like they have to keep typing in a special number. You get a dedicated phone number, save it one time and use it from then on. Simple.

Plus the apps have push notifications, emoticons, picture messages, custom ringtones, etc. If anything its better then regular text messaging.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    This is similar to Sprint's Any Mobile Any Time plans.They package their plans cleverly and bundle their messaging into the plan so doesn't look like a weird add on requirement.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    More, but who cares about few bucks difference.. if you cannot afford it do not buy it use the public phones...1000 sms? I burn that in 2 days.

of course it costs less your average income is way less than in US...how about housing?? it is sad that in Europe the average apartment/house cost 10 times one here in the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oshioshi View Post

I think the pricing structure in the US for mobile communication is really sad.

I live in Austria, and i pay with the 3rd largest provider Orange for 1000 minutes free voice in all networks, unlimited voice to Orange, 1000 SMS to all networks, unlimited SMS to Orange, 3 GB of data without speed cap, and 300 minutes of active & passive voice roaming to/in all european countries plus some other a monthly fee of 18,80 Euro. And that includes all this. 18,80 EUR!

How much would this package cost in the US?

• Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

because they want your money....

i already had unlimited family messaging. i have to since my 21 yr old daughter texts 7000 or so a month, and is on my plan. So it really doesnt cost me more it just adds a well deserved feature to my current plan.

No, it's to increase their revenue to make up for the loss associated with offering the free calls, plain and simple. Text messages are by FAR the least taxing form of communication on their network and by far the most profitable for companies. Any texting plan that costs extra is a huge ripoff, regardless of carrier, considering the minuscule amount of data used to transmit a text. Parents that have a text-addicted teen should not buy a stupid texting plan but instead charge the teen for going over the standard monthly allotment. A month or two of that will put the brakes on that problem and maybe get the cell companies to cut those ripoffs. On the other hand, maybe texting teens help keep rates lower for the rest of us.... naaaahhhhh!
  • Reply 40 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shooter2jim View Post

Parents that have a text-addicted teen should not buy a stupid texting plan but instead charge the teen for going over the standard monthly allotment. A month or two of that will put the brakes on that problem and maybe get the cell companies to cut those ripoffs. On the other hand, maybe texting teens help keep rates lower for the rest of us.... naaaahhhhh!

It's scary that a lot of teens have few, if any limits. I have someone that works for me, 24yrs old. Yesterday, he was receiving or sending a text 5 of the 6 times I walked by him. I felt I had to make him feel nervous about the status of his job, because that was ridiculous.