Best Buy invites customers to 'discover' Apple's iWork '11 this Saturday

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The official Mexican website for retailer Best Buy has a special event devoted to iWork '11 scheduled for this Saturday, suggesting an update to Apple's productivity suite could be imminent. [Update: Best Buy has removed all references to iWork '11]



Update: Best Buy Mexico has since changed all references to iWork '11 to iWork '09.



"Discover everything you can do with iWork '11," the site reads in Spanish. Customers can visit Best Buy this Saturday between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. to apparently have a look at the software. The page was first reported by AppleBitch.



The page also refers to the software as the "new" iWork '11, providing even more evidence that the page is not a mistaken reference to the current version, iWork '09. Apple last updated its productivity suite in early 2009.



The box pictured on the page does not feature a date, and instead just shows the name "iWork" with the same logo and accompanying graphics featured with the last version of the software.



Last year it was suggested that Apple planned to release iWork '11 alongside the launch of the Mac App Store in early 2011. Providing evidence that Apple may have planned as much, the Mac App Store touted the "amazing new iWork" when it launched in early January, even though the version for sale was two years old.







Some have speculated that Apple could forego releasing the rumored iWork '11 on disc, and instead rely on the Mac App Store as part of an apparent effort to cease boxed software sales. However, the listing at retailer Best Buy would suggest that Apple will also sell an in-store version of the suite.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 42
    I've been looking forward to this. I really like iWork but numbers, specifically, has been too limited for my needs. Excited to see what's new.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Pages have been pulled
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Why would Apple let Mexican Best Buy show off their new software? Something's wrong here. Either Best buy put something out they weren't supposed to, or this is complete b.s.



    If it is indeed real, then I for one will be purchasing at least keynote, and possibly pages.



    BTW is it just me or has Best Buy been the source of a lot of slips lately?? Apple cannot be to happy with them.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post


    Pages have been pulled



    I don't know why you think that. If this is legitimate, the third computer screen in the image has a pages document.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Praying for iWeb update. Hoping to be able to post to my own blog page from my iPad or iPhone while traveling.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mebbert View Post


    I don't know why you think that. If this is legitimate, the third computer screen in the image has a pages document.



    The Mexican *WEB* pages; not Pages the app . . .
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Praying for iWeb update. Hoping to be able to post to my own blog page from my iPad or iPhone while traveling.



    It's not a part of iWork, and was neglected in the latest iLife update.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    I'm still waiting to buy the Family Pack of a new iWork. The 3 Family Packs I normally buy are OS X, iWOrk and iLife.



    The question I have now is IF Apple is going to deliver physical boxes for the Family Pack, or provide another method of buying the Packs.



    And maybe tie in a free trial of Bento - or even put into with the whole package.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post


    I'm still waiting to buy the Family Pack of a new iWork. The 3 Family Packs I normally buy are OS X, iWOrk and iLife.



    The question I have now is IF Apple is going to deliver physical boxes for the Family Pack, or provide another method of buying the Packs.



    And maybe tie in a free trial of Bento - or even put into with the whole package.



    My guess is there will not be a family pack box set and we might never see it's equivalent in the app store. But the price's are so good it's not really necessary. The way apple has been setting the price for the software in the mac app store it's cheaper or or at least on par with getting a family pack.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post


    And maybe tie in a free trial of Bento - or even put into with the whole package.



    http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/



    Here's your free trial, problem solved.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    1) Why would Best Buy be the first to show off the new iWork unless Apple pulls a surprise release sometime this week. If the surprise release does happen, then perhaps Best Buy and Apple Stores will both be having the new version in to show off.



    2) If Apple are to do away with boxed sales, there may be card with a download code for iWork, or alternatively iWork branded iTunes cards to add money to your account in order to buy said iWork. In which case, Best Buy would possibly stock these.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post


    1) Why would Best Buy be the first to show off the new iWork unless Apple pulls a surprise release sometime this week. If the surprise release does happen, then perhaps Best Buy and Apple Stores will both be having the new version in to show off.



    2) If Apple are to do away with boxed sales, there may be card with a download code for iWork, or alternatively iWork branded iTunes cards to add money to your account in order to buy said iWork. In which case, Best Buy would possibly stock these.



    Maybe the drug cartels are forcing the issue.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Praying for iWeb update. Hoping to be able to post to my own blog page from my iPad or iPhone while traveling.



    I'm pretty sure iWeb was part of the iWork package rather than the iLife package. I think the last version was iWeb '09. I couldn't find it on the app store. I'm guessing apple has quietly phased it out. I'd like to see Apple offer a much more in depth program.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post


    I'm pretty sure iWeb was part of the iWork package rather than the iLife package.



    No, sorry. Go here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTk5MjkxMjU



    From that page:



    Quote:

    iWeb and iDVD



    iLife ?11 also includes iWeb and iDVD for creating instant websites and burning your own DVDs.



  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post


    I'm pretty sure iWeb was part of the iWork package rather than the iLife package. I think the last version was iWeb '09. I couldn't find it on the app store. I'm guessing apple has quietly phased it out. I'd like to see Apple offer a much more in depth program.



    Absolutely not. As I said above, iWeb was always part of iLife. It was never part of iWork.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post


    I'm pretty sure iWeb was part of the iWork package rather than the iLife package. I think the last version was iWeb '09. I couldn't find it on the app store. I'm guessing apple has quietly phased it out. I'd like to see Apple offer a much more in depth program.



    iWeb is part of iLife, not iWork. The latest iLife 11 did come with it.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    And iWeb has even had an update patch as we've been typing these !!
  • Reply 18 of 42
    iLife '11 is going to be in Spanish?

    ¡Dios mio!
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post


    My guess is there will not be a family pack box set and we might never see it's equivalent in the app store. But the price's are so good it's not really necessary. The way apple has been setting the price for the software in the mac app store it's cheaper or or at least on par with getting a family pack.



    Uh, buying more than one license for software on the Mac App Store is wholly unnecessary. You pay once and you can install it on all your Macs without paying again, and receive all the updates for free Automagically*.





    *Unless a new Version is submitted as a new, separate App to the Store.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    The graphics used are for iWork 09. This may be a typographical error.
Sign In or Register to comment.