What's the deal between Eminem and Moby?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    fine

whine

it's all about you

spew spew spew

hell man, mother goose can rhyme. A four year old can make up rhymes.

rhyming is NOT poetry. I'm not even gonna start trying to teach you about poetry. Go to college and learn about it for yourself.

That isn't to say that rap can't be poetic. It can. But marshall mathers is just a rhyming dork. Dre does help him with some cool beats. But dre is good at that. marshall mathers is a dork. A dork that the media has marketed to rich little suburban kids who want to try to be 'tough' cause they've just got it sooo hard. Kids with their baseball hats on crooked are dorks too.

I was a teenager once too, sitting around the house. Drinking a 40 ounce. Writing rhymes. Getting up and swinging nunchuks. thinking we had it rough. Trying to be tough.

But that got boring so I worked hard and bought myself education.

Some of my old friends are still sitting in the same places, drinking the same beer, talking about the same people. I love those guys in a dusty old way. And when I see em, they always want me to 'do a poem' from the old days - but I don't.

And if I don't 'rhyme' for them, I sure as hell ain't gonna rhyme for you.

fine

whine

It's all about you

boo hoo hoo

Here, read up on some dylan thomas. marshall mathers put tries to put his words together the same way he does. where the words in middles of sentences sometimes 'rhyme'. mm is no dylan thomas. dylan thomas would've puked on him.

<a href="http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=151"; target="_blank">http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=151</a>;

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 66
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>That song is called "Cleanin Out My Closet", and it's tight.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I happen to like a lot of rap, but that song is stupid. I liked Eminem at one point and some of his songs are good but that definately isn't.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Tiger if you're a connoisseur of rap why waste time with Eminem? He is SO over the edge that I think people automatically assume he's good. Critics are practically falling over themselves to say ".. but he's good."

I personally liked his first CD. 2nd and 3rd, he should be shot. Probably will be, I can hope.

Notorious B.I.G., Tupac, Everlast, I like them more.

I mean, Eminem probably thinks MIDI is some kind of new drug! LOTS of people listen to techno by the way. Is Eminem jealous?

Something confuses me though... if you turn on MTV (sometimes MTV2 but they're so much better) all you see are dumbasses rapping about how much money they have. Does anyone actually listen to this? For years mainstream rap seems to have been turned into a parade of hot girls with big butts and a bunch of "bling bling" retards proud of the fact they don't have to work to be rich. It must be hard being a G-dawg with Bentleys, just because you can say "Area codes" on a mic. It's as bad a *Nsync. And these idiots probably don't even know what the word materialism means.

Tiger who else do you like? I'd post my list but I don't think my iPod (full) list would fit: I like everything (that is music, Ludacris is not music.)

I wonder why no one plays Celtic music. Now that stuff kicks some serious @ss!

Besides, Moby was in MacAddict
  • Reply 24 of 66
    personally, i like alot of moby's stuff, but then again, i listen to techno from all over the world, so being bald won't keep me from giving him a chance...

oh, and m&ms still a white-trash wannabe brotha.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>That song is called "Cleanin Out My Closet", and it's tight.</strong><hr></blockquote>

right, got the name wrong.

that only adds to the homophobe question...

• Reply 26 of 66
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    There are a lot of great rappers out there, real poets. They never make it big because they don't talk about money, cars, drugs and "hos". I think Eminem is well above the halfway mark as far as rappers go, especially for well known ones. But he still has no talent as a musician and just a little as a poet.

Eminem is like Microsoft. Windows XP does in fact work.

Moby is a lot like Apple. Everyone knows who he is, most people would listen to him on the radio. Unfortunately, only a niche group buys his albums because most people are too afraid to leave the more popular groups. Everyone is used to being told what to listen to. They're afraid of making a bad decision, even if the answer is right there in front of them.

Ok, the analogy isn't perfect, but it works for the most part.

Flame on!
  • Reply 27 of 66
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    "Still Fly" by the Big Tymers. Now that is good rap.

" Gator boots with the pimped out Gucci suits

Ain't got no job, but I stay sharp

Can't pay my rent, cause all my money's spent

But that's okay, cause I'm Still Fly (Uh,Uh, Damn! Cause I'm So Fly)

Got a quarter tank of gas - in my new E class (In My E-Class Benz)

Cause that's alright, cause I'm gon' ride

Got everythang - in my momma name (We Got Everythang, In My Momma Name)

But I'm Hood Rich - dadah-dadah da-dah da-dah da-dah (Uh-Huh!)"
  • Reply 28 of 66
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Actually, I do like a few Eminem songs. Cleaning out My Closet is one of them. What's the song from the second "8 Mile" trailer though? Seemed like it might be named "One Shot" or something, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I like Moby too...
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Its not only the way eminem rhymes that makes me want to listen to him its the way his lyrics can flow with them. Another good rapper that could do this was Big L. I dont really care what any one else says i think eminem writes good lyrics, not only can he rhyme and flow alot of them are funny as hell...

EDIT: oops i didnt notice that matsu way to early in the morn for me

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: Mount_my_floppy ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 66
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Just to clarify my previous position. Eminem is not the artist in my estimation he is the art (whatever you may think of it) In that light it's a lot of fun, but it isn't 'real'.

"He rights good lyrics?" I didn't know good lyrics needed 'righting', does that mean he wrongs them?
  • Reply 31 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Actually, I do like a few Eminem songs. Cleaning out My Closet is one of them. What's the song from the second "8 Mile" trailer though? Seemed like it might be named "One Shot" or something, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I like Moby too...</strong><hr></blockquote>

The song is called "Lose Yourself", but I haven't been able to find it anywhere...all the versions I found were just the little part you hear in the trailer. I guess it'll come out whenever the soundtrack to 8 Mile is out.

-Mike
  • Reply 32 of 66
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Dylan Thomas is very underrated.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    so what's with Eminem and Christina Aguilerra?

Doesn't stop him collecting awards from her though . . . anyway, I thought he thought awards ceremonies sucked?
  • Reply 34 of 66
    talk about fags, do u guys know anything at all? personally most of you havn't a clue about any of this conversation and are using to try and make yourselves sound brainy on a topic of which you are clueless!

cleanin' out my closest is practically tame - homophobic lyrics? hardly!

the moby thing - well at least one of you out there has the right idea on it and explained it pretty well, apart from that just because you've heard the radio play u have an opinion well - hell no

as for the homophobic lyrics, they aint homophobic its just what all the wuss' say, well to be honest there aint that many but if your reeeeeeeeeally intreged by this fact well...

"my words are like a dagger with a jagged edge, to stab you in the head whether you a fag or les, a homosex, a mav or a transivest, pans address - hate fags the answers yes

homophobi na, you just heterophobic, starin at my jeans watchin my genitals bulge, thats my m0therf*ckin balls you better let go of em - they belong in my scrotem you better let go of em"

hmmm, well that was taken direct from the first verse of 'Criminal', personally i dont see what the big deal with Eminem is

1) its a parental advisory

2) it aint ment for kids

3) it aint meant for popheads - its rap damn it

sorry all for this bit of a rant, but its a touchy subject i suppose

one request, please dont ask pointless questions that make it soooooooooo obvious you dont belong in this convo, like the thing with christina agulira, jeeeeez
  • Reply 35 of 66
    I've been listening to Eminem since way before his first commercially successful album (The Slim Shady LP) came out, and I can honestly say that his new stuff seems tame to me. I don't know if I've just gotten used to it, or he's become a little tamer, but I don't even blink an eye when he talks about the "taboo" stuff he talks about. Just my 2 cents.

IMHO, I think rapping is closer to real music than techno. Anyone can spin records, but not everyone can rhyme words on the fly and still make sense.

-Mike
  • Reply 36 of 66
    hey gosset, u heard 'Murder Murder' or any of his early freestlye mixes
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Sure have- I have a bunch of the songs he did with Scam in the early 90s, as well as a bunch of unreleased stuff with D-12.

-Mike
  • Reply 38 of 66
    yeah, not bad - u reckon locked up tonight paved the way for his bigger success?
  • Reply 39 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by leviathan:

<strong>yeah, not bad - u reckon locked up tonight paved the way for his bigger success?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think so...being discovered by Dre is the main reason he's successful. If I remember the story correctly, Dre found his demo tape laying on the floor in some record exec's garage, played it, and liked it. But I could be wrong.

-Mike
  • Reply 40 of 66
    hmm, i dont think eminem has that kind of luck - i'm sure his lawyers can vouch for that