Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

We now have a president meeting with successful business people, for what? Photo opp, nothing more, nothing less. His stance on taxes and handouts isn't going to suddenly change. Nothing was gained from the last meeting with Steve and nothing will be gained from this meeting either.

Yet you say you would like to be a fly on the wall for this meeting. Were you on the wall at the last meeting? Was it painful do be so diminished in size, but not in intellect?

Seriously, we might get a bit more information out of this meeting, because it's a four-way involving at least one who might talk afterward. I am thankful that we have a president with the intelligence to pursue the meaning of the transformation that's going on the knowledge industry. A refreshing change from the last one, who apparently wasn't even curious about 'the Google' and 'the internets.'

Edit: Just heard that Larry Ellison will be there, among others. The meeting is said to be about what business can do to invest in the U.S. for job expansion. Clearly just a photo op. What publicity-tramps these guys are.
  • Reply 102 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I'm glad they are meeting, but I must admit that I found the title of the article hilarious.

"Apple's Steve Jobs"... like there is more than one prominent Steve Jobs that would be mentioned in an article from AppleInsider?

You wouldn't want anyone confusing Apple's Steve Jobs with that Stephen Jobs, 68, retired insurance salesman from Omaha, Nebraska who is sometimes mentioned on this site for no reason at all
  • Reply 103 of 121
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yet you say you would like to be a fly on the wall for this meeting. Were you on the wall at the last meeting? Was it painful do be so diminished in size, but not in intellect?

Seriously, we might get a bit more information out of this meeting, because it's a four-way involving at least one who might talk afterward. I am thankful that we have a president with the intelligence to pursue the meaning of the transformation that's going on the knowledge industry. A refreshing change from the last one, who apparently wasn't even curious about 'the Google' and 'the internets.'

Let me guess, you think you are an intellectual because you're able to make witty remarks?

You can keep living the pipe dream. From the babel you just spewed I'm going to also guess you have no idea yourself what this meeting is about. If the president had any interest in private business and how it all works he would have done it years ago before he became involved in politics. Now is not the time for on the job training...
  • Reply 104 of 121
    Quote:

After the last two years if that is what you believe I can't change your mind...

You got the last phrase right.

Ultimately we've got a glass half empty, glass half full thing going on here. People who are basically pessimistic predominate in the right, and those who are optimistic on the left. I know this is an oversimplification but social and psychological studies have supported it. We might as well be trying to talk the stripes off a zebra as to discuss our way to common ground here.
  • Reply 105 of 121
    Quote:

From the babel you just spewed I'm going to also guess you have no idea yourself what this meeting is about. If the president had any interest in private business and how it all works he would have done it years ago before he became involved in politics. Now is not the time for on the job training...

You are so wonderfully contradictory. In the same sentence you accuse your co-poster of not knowing what is going on in the meeting you imply that you do! I promise to quit babbling now even if the subject turns to Babel. Peace out.
  • Reply 106 of 121
    Quote:

After the last two years if that is what you believe I can't change your mind...

Given that I'll still toss a few softballs to you. How about the focus on how much water goes through my toilet whenever I flush it. How about the law which will soon dictate the type of lightbulbs I have in my house. How about other EPA regulations and endangered species acts which shut down an entire farming community because of a smelt.

I picked LBJ because that's about the time "the kid's" started taking over. Since you're pushing the race issue, it's also about the time that many once proud black communities self destructed with help from the federal government.

White and black people are both to blame for the problems then and now, democrats and republicans. Did your head just explode because I didn't go where you thought I was going with this? ...

No, your response is pretty typical. You don't care about clean water, global warming or biodiversity, most likely because you choose to deny they are real issues so it won't get in the way of how you want to live, or because you think they are problems that will be visited on someone else, so why should you care.

And, although it's convenient to blame poverty and it's attendant problems on the "Welfare State", there's little or no hard evidence to prove that causation. What you're doing is looking at a period of great change in all parts of American society and picking the ones you don't like as the cause of today's problems. You're also looking back over a period where for most of that time, the income gap between rich and poor has steadily widened. There are no golden days that we can turn back the clock to and magically reach paradise by simply undoing what's been done. That's the sort of simplistic thinking that leads to things like our recent financial meltdown.

But, speaking of golden days and LBJ, maybe we should go back a little further. I'd like to see us return to Eisenhower era tax rates, things were certainly good then, weren't they?
  • Reply 107 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quite a bit of government money went into making Silicon Valley what it is, the culture out of which the personal computer and the internet grew.

I'm not saying Government is a bad thing - I'm saying giving government unlimited powers over your wealth is.

The OP wasn't advocating anything close to what you or any of the others are talking about.

He is advocating the confiscation of inherited wealth. In a few generations it would put all past, present and future wealth, all companies, all property, all product into the ownership of the government. Hence my original quote.

If you thought communism died when the Berlin wall collapsed - think again!
  • Reply 108 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, your response is pretty typical. You don't care about clean water, global warming or biodiversity, most likely because you choose to deny they are real issues so it won't get in the way of how you want to live, or because you think they are problems that will be visited on someone else, so why should you care.

And, although it's convenient to blame poverty and it's attendant problems on the "Welfare State", there's little or no hard evidence to prove that causation. What you're doing is looking at a period of great change in all parts of American society and picking the ones you don't like as the cause of today's problems. You're also looking back over a period where for most of that time, the income gap between rich and poor has steadily widened. There are no golden days that we can turn back the clock to and magically reach paradise by simply undoing what's been done. That's the sort of simplistic thinking that leads to things like our recent financial meltdown.

But, speaking of golden days and LBJ, maybe we should go back a little further. I'd like to see us return to Eisenhower era tax rates, things were certainly good then, weren't they?

So the fact that I am also an avid scuba diver means that I love diving in filthy water? The fact that the last two winters have been the coldest in recent years confirms the globe is warming? If some one doesn't agree with you then it is they who must change. Unlike you I look at the good in people and times and strive to bring them back.

You see nothing but the bad and think that everything can be controlled or dictated in to being fixed. It doesn't work like that. There are natural cycles in business and life. My beef is with those who deny the cycles or react the opposite as to how they should when they do occur thinking that they know best.
  • Reply 109 of 121
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Yes, but then Ballmer really should be there too, shouldn't he? I hear the xbox finally sells well, and is built there too, right?

Hmmmm? I don't recall mentioning a CEO's single name in my post.

Answer: No
  • Reply 110 of 121
    Quote:

The fact that the last two winters have been the coldest in recent years confirms the globe is warming?.

In the lower Himalayas it has been the warmest in recent years. Global warming is a misnomer. The more accurate description is climate change. Some areas that were colder are getting warmer, and those that were warmer are getting colder. Just depends on where you live (go) what you perceive. But average for the entire earth is a warming trend.

The vast majority of respected scientists with expertise in this area agree it is happening. A few outliers say otherwise. It's always that way. Same with evolution. Willful ignorance is very common.
  • Reply 111 of 121
    Quote:

So the fact that I am also an avid scuba diver means that I love diving in filthy water? The fact that the last two winters have been the coldest in recent years confirms the globe is warming? If some one doesn't agree with you then it is they who must change. Unlike you I look at the good in people and times and strive to bring them back.

You see nothing but the bad and think that everything can be controlled or dictated in to being fixed. It doesn't work like that. There are natural cycles in business and life. My beef is with those who deny the cycles or react the opposite as to how they should when they do occur thinking that they know best.

I'm sure you convince yourself that the water is clean, just like you've convinced yourself that it's been cold where you live so climate change isn't a problem. You see what you want to see, what makes you feel comfortable with your choices.
  • Reply 112 of 121
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Here's how the meeting will go:

CEOs: Give us more money! Cut our Taxes!

Obama: OK!
  • Reply 113 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Willful ignorance is very common.

I believe this ties in with what you were saying about pessimism. The conservative mindset generally looks backward toward what used to be certainties, but which have been obsolesced by newer knowledge and social mores. They thus cut themselves off from interest in the future, or even in present realities. The more progress they see around them, the more they fear the future and dig in against knowledge.

President Obama is meeting with people who have no problem with the future; in fact they are inventing it. (Thanks, Alan Kay.)

It is very simple.
  • Reply 114 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I mean, never mind that those patriots Reagan and Bush Deux are the two presidents that got the US into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on. We had to finance massive tax cuts for the rich and fight godless communism and Islamofascism. But now the $10 trillion of debt were are in is all the fault of "president" Osama - I mean Obama. Jeez. He wasn't even born in America. What does he know about red meat eating, flag waving America? Nothing. And the middle class, of course Obama is targeting that. Forget that the middle class has been stagnant since the mid-1970s, while the income of the top 1% in the US has grown stratospherically. Its all Obama! Now I'm off to watch that patriot Glen Beck on Fox News - the only channel I watch, except for when I have my head shoved up my own ass.

You've gotten so used to the darkness, I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you - but- it's still there!!
  • Reply 115 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Here's how the meeting will go:

CEOs: Give us more money! Cut our Taxes!

Obama: OK!

You forgot this part:

Obama: Now make a donation to my re-election campaign!
  • Reply 116 of 121
    Quote:

Willful ignorance is very common.

holy crap, this is the best quote I've heard in years!

Do you mind if I put this quotation with your name on my facebook!?
  • Reply 117 of 121
    Quote:

In the lower Himalayas it has been the warmest in recent years. Global warming is a misnomer. The more accurate description is climate change.

The vast majority of respected scientists with expertise in this area agree it is happening. A few outliers say otherwise. It's always that way. Same with evolution. Willful ignorance is very common.

Climate change is a misnomer. The general public use to call it "the weather". And it changes from time to time. Don't believe me? Instead of having complete faith in a few scientists, who have been exposed recently I might add, why don't you research the ice age. It is very easy and sometimes convenient to pick a specific point in time and say this is the reference point. Enough jumping around though. I went from making a joke about Steve visiting Obama to have race discussions and explain about global warming. It was fun but I gotta get back to work...

Quote:

I'm sure you convince yourself that the water is clean, just like you've convinced yourself that it's been cold where you live so climate change isn't a problem. You see what you want to see, what makes you feel comfortable with your choices.

I've spent some time traveling the world, maybe not as much as others here, but I've seen good and bad environmental conditions. Again, I'm done talking about pollution and anything else that may pop up other than Obama's photo opp/campaign donation meeting...
  • Reply 118 of 121
    Quote:

Climate change is a misnomer. Instead of having complete faith in a few scientists, who have been exposed recently I might add,

those "leaks" from PSU I believe you are referring to have been discredited. I actually went to PSU to study economics and I trust the integrity of their staff. Anyway.., this thread is full of ideologues, can we actually get back to the thread's topic?

Now that the meeting is over and the photos are out. I looks like some in the media tried to make it look as if Steve really bad health, but it doesn't really look that bad.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    Quote:

Climate change is a misnomer. The general public use to call it "the weather". And it changes from time to time. Don't believe me? Instead of having complete faith in a few scientists, who have been exposed recently I might add, why don't you research the ice age. It is very easy and sometimes convenient to pick a specific point in time and say this is the reference point. Enough jumping around though. I went from making a joke about Steve visiting Obama to have race discussions and explain about global warming. It was fun but I gotta get back to work...

I've spent some time traveling the world, maybe not as much as others here, but I've seen good and bad environmental conditions. Again, I'm done talking about pollution and anything else that may pop up other than Obama's photo opp/campaign donation meeting...

Sounds like you realize at some level that you're wrong but don't want to let go of you cherished beliefs, or have them challenged, just keep your head in the sand and take some cheap political potshots.
  • Reply 120 of 121
    Quote:

Sounds like you realize at some level that you're wrong but don't want to let go of you cherished beliefs, or have them challenged, just keep your head in the sand and take some cheap political potshots.

I apologize if I mislead you. I assume when I said good and bad you thought I was referring to what the rest of us call the weather, I was referring to pollution. I haven't been around a few thousand years to know what is and isn't normal weather for any particular place. Heck in the last 40 years I've been alive I've seen the cycle from long brutal winters, to (thankfully) much milder winters, and now we're back on the brutal cycle.

As for keeping my head in the sand, did you miss the part were for the last two years we've had snow in all fifty states? And that these are the coldest winters in the last few years? The scientists in State College are about as wacky as Joe Pa. The only difference being Joe is senile and scientists are on the pay. When somebody is getting paid to find global warming what do you think they are going to find? The hockey stick chart they developed can't "predict" recorded weather so why would you believe it to predict the future? Now that there is no warming we are now in to climate change. Forgetting the fact there has been little solar activity over the past few months (which contributes more to warming than anything else).

Any way enough is enough, I'm done. Obama had his photo op, Steve looks relatively healthy all things considered, you keep believing you're correct, and the rest of us will continue to live in the real world...