Apple will reportedly= hold iPad 2 event on March 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I'm thinking the Ipad 3 release in September is possibly the 6/7 inch Ipad Touch that was rumored earlier.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    It's worth pointing out that John Gruber, who originated the two iPad releases this year rumour, said (on Twitter) that the iPad in September wouldn't be the iPad 3. It'd be something that is sold alongside the iPad we're (supposedly) getting next month. He also said the date was pure speculation but hinted that a Retina Display was not. I think what Gruber's (generally reliable) sources have told him is that (a) the iPad 2 is coming next month but isn't going to have a Retina Display but that (b) the Retina Display is real. The September "iPad HD" rumour was just him speculating on how those two facts can be reconciled.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Frankly, I think Apple should call it "iPad" and then in fine print "(2nd Generation)" much in the same way the iPods are called iPods and if needed, a generation indicator. If Apple was really cool, they would not give it a name at all and just represent it with a tablet symbol, or in spoken form, "the magic tablet formerly known as iPad."
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

More like claims that he has told at most six months left to live.

Plus the subscription stuff and claims that Kindle etc are jumping ship. And Apple is going to get in trouble for antitrust. And so on.

Nobody wants/expects Apple to end up with any real threat of an anti-trust...they're too important to the industry(s) they mix in doing all the real ergonomics design and user interface R&D. The HPs and Motorolas and Dells of the world NEED them to do the advance work, so they can swoop in and 2nd phase commodify for Android/Windows markets. Same goes for the content providers--they decry their abusing about paying Apple royalties etc and lament their impotence in the face of iTunes' supremacy in digital distribution, but they KNOW that Apple has continually delivered them out of last century and has been correct in user habits and wants when it comes to digital content consumption. They don't have the intuition to make correct calls ahead of an Apple on redesigning their vertical markets, so they need them to go first and then they play catch up and set up their own proprietary sites.

In short, all the bitching and moaning by the other industry players is at best a mere pressure release valve as they are forced to catch up, and at worst a farcical facade for their actual lamphrey-style symbiosis w/ Apple as the shark that does most of the progressive swimming.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm thinking the Ipad 3 release in September is possibly the 6/7 inch Ipad Touch that was rumored earlier.

iPad 3, iPad Touch, or iPad Nano?

I suspect none of the above names assuming there will be such a device at all.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Meh, nobody cares. Who wants to sit around with a pad that can only view some web pages and run fart apps.

Now the Playbook... There is an exciting product launch. Can view ALL web pages, will have magazine subscriptions (unlike the iPad). Will have awesome apps like skype and Netflix (unlike the iPad)... Will be able to tether and create hot spots (unlike the iPad)... Think outside the box, do whatever whenever and let your wildest dreams come true.

Probably why Apple's stock is sinking like a stone right now.

Ha - troll post of the week.

Seriously thou - how long is Apple going to play castle? They are losing momentum and the PR war. Makes you wonder who will take the next big bite out of their logo?

Hmmm .. Here is what I did with my iPad today: (1) practiced the cello using metronome app on iPad, (2) practiced som cello e pieces
  • Reply 27 of 56
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Living in Vancouver is not the problem for Rain ... I'm also from Vancouver and will proudly admit to being An Apple "fanboy". The problem with Rain is the same as it is with all the other trolls .... very low self esteem. Why else the need to visit "someone else's house" and proceed to complain about everything they see? .... unless of course, it's his "job" .... but, in his case at least, I don't think anyone is desperate enough to hire someone with a "skill set" so limited.

It's true... satire is lost on the stupid.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:

Meh, nobody cares. Who wants to sit around with a pad that can only view some web pages and run fart apps.

Now the Playbook... There is an exciting product launch. Can view ALL web pages, will have magazine subscriptions (unlike the iPad). Will have awesome apps like skype and Netflix (unlike the iPad)... Will be able to tether and create hot spots (unlike the iPad)... Think outside the box, do whatever whenever and let your wildest dreams come true.

Probably why Apple's stock is sinking like a stone right now.

Ha - troll post of the week.

Seriously thou - how long is Apple going to play castle? They are losing momentum and the PR war. Makes you wonder who will take the next big bite out of their logo?

Hmmm .. Here is what I did with my iPad today: (1) practiced the cello using metronome app on iPad, (2) practiced some cello pieces from library of sheet music stored on iPad, (3) worked on a piece by ear using iPad version of Capo, (4) read the news and then this article on IPad, and composed present reply. Sorry, have no fart apps in this device.

And here're is what my nine-year-old son did with his iPad: (1) read part of a book, (2) made a painting, (3) looked up some movies on IMDB app. Sorry, he does havering fart app either.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Living in Vancouver is not the problem for Rain ... I'm also from Vancouver and will proudly admit to being An Apple "fanboy". The problem with Rain is the same as it is with all the other trolls .... very low self esteem. Why else the need to visit "someone else's house" and proceed to complain about everything they see? .... unless of course, it's his "job" .... but, in his case at least, I don't think anyone is desperate enough to hire someone with a "skill set" so limited.

Very Low Self Esteem. Self-appointed psychoanalyst? Just ignore the troll and it will go away.

FWIW, I've had my iPad for a few months now and beginning to discover its limitations. Web Browsing IS, unfortunately, one of them. I don't care for flash, so I won't go there, but the inability to retain pages in memory drives me nuts. Why can't they just be swapped out and back in again? The kernel has virtual memory, right? It's the most advanced Operating System out there (I beg to differ but that's not the point).
  • Reply 30 of 56
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

iPad 3, iPad Touch, or iPad Nano?

I suspect none of the above names assuming there will be such a device at all.

There is a game pad being tested that is around 5 or 6 inch and may be 3DS. Stop linking it to ipod or ipad its neither of them, its a gaming device build specifically for games. It may have build-in physical game controllers that slide from behind the screen. They could call it iPlay

I got the feeling the rumours for the ipad 3 in fall is leaks of the gaming pad that is confused for a new ipad model

Gaming is coming to AppleTV too, so his an AppleTv app store. A game controller for the AppleTV is also in comming

imo all those things are for September at the earliest.

In 2012, once the AppleTV has enough apps and games, Apple is going to start on is TV set and merge AppleTV into a TV set.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

It's true... satire is lost on the stupid.

Perhaps if every one of your posts were not of the same negative ilk .... your "satire" would not be so "invisible" .
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PresidentVirg View Post

If this is true then the MacBook's revision will not be on Thursday. At least I think that. Apple does not announce nor launch multiple products at a close time. So its either the Macs or iPad in end of February to beginning March.

To be honest I can't afford either at the moment but if I had to choose which I'd go for iPad 2!

i think it's pretty likely that apple will release the new MBPs on Thursday, and then give us a nice breakdown on them before they introduce the ipad 2 next Wednesday. now on to one of my favorite activities, predicting upcoming apple products! and usually not being right

March 2

iPad2 (i think iOS 5 will big enough to obfuscate need for dual cores and other bullet point specs)

-faster single core processor, improved graphics

-500mb RAM

-dual cameras

-little bit thinner, lighter, aluminum

-little bit better battery

-NFC

September 2011

iPad Pro

-new, dark alloy body, thinner, lighter

-dual core processor, improved battery, cameras, and 1GB of RAM

-no retina

March 2012

iPad 3

-catch up to iPad Pro with everything, but retain traditional aluminum, no retina display

iPad Pro

-retina display

as for AAPL today:

i haven't read Andy Zaky's post yet, but is pretty obvious that apple's slide today was another blatant market manipulation so the powers that be can screw more small investors out of their money. this is getting into criminal territory IMO and should be investigated. the "stories" we saw today were blatant, quickly refuted lies. not to mention the publishing of a video today of steve wobbling a bit. it's pathetic that people stoop so low for easy money.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Someone had to step in for melgross, or this forum would be nothing more then a bunch of parasites agreeing that Apple is perfect, everything they do is perfect, they are incapable of not being perfect, all competition is flawed, all competition will be DOA, all competition is run by morons. - then have the gull to call out anyone who disagrees a 'troll'.

Sorry, but someone has to interrupt the 'feel good affirmation' of the shareholders standing around congratulating each other like they had something to do with Apple's success - and inject a tiny bit of common sense into the cult... or we would have no fun at all.

If anything, I'm saving the forum from being undeniably called the dreaded F.B. term. In fact, I might even be considered a hero for my clever and well spoken insight.

Yes, this forum needs a martyr from time to time.

... and for those of you who read this far and STILL don't 'get it', well, you probably never will.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Well, I read somewhere on this site that some people don't believe these"rumors" even if New York Times reports it and they won't believe anything until The Wall Street Journal reports it.

Well naysayers here is your wish:

About Kara

Kara Swisher started covering digital issues for The Wall Street Journal's San Francisco bureau in 1997 and also wrote the BoomTown column about the sector. With Walt Mossberg, she co-produces and co-hosts D: All Things Digital, a major high-tech and media conference.

Exclusive: Apple iPad 2 Event Set for March 2

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20110222/...t-for-march-2/

by Kara Swisher

Posted on February 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM PT

Brought to you by The Wall Street Journal.

© 2005-2011 Dow Jones & Company Inc.

All Rights Reserved

To those who care intensely about this kind of stuff?which would be pretty much everyone in the tech ecosystem?Apple will hold its much-anticipated event on March 2, where the tech giant seems poised to unveil a new version of its hugely successful iPad, according to multiple sources.

As in, iPad 2! Or, as BoomTown is now officially nicknaming it: iPad Too!

Analysts expect the iPad 2 to be thinner than its predecessor and feature an improved display, as well as front-facing camera and Facetime video chat support. And some reports suggest it will be powered by one of Qualcomm?s multimode chips and will run on both GSM and CDMA-based networks around the world.

In its last earnings calls, Apple said it had sold nearly 15 million iPads, since it went on sale last spring.

This is a very big deal, although Apple will be facing increased competition with the launch of a passel of tablets coming from numerous manufacturers, most of which are using the Honeycomb version of Google?s Android mobile operating system.

According to several sources close to the situation, the Wednesday date in a little more than a week is firm and will take place in San Francisco, the scene of many such Apple events.

In that case, the venue is likely to be the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.

It?s not clear when Apple will begin sending out its famous invites for the gathering, but I am guessing soon, in order to get the Apple faithful to the proper level of froth.

(The image above is from one of my favorite previous save-the-dates.)

Now that this date is confirmed?at least by me!?the next round of speculation will be around whether Apple CEO Steve Jobs will appear or not.

He is currently on leave to deal with ongoing health issues, although has been sighted all around Silicon Valley at various places. In addition, Jobs sat right next to President Barack Obama at a high-profile meet-the-tech-moguls dinner in the area last week.

In other words: Let the media frenzy begin
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:

Someone had to step in for melgross, or this forum would be nothing more then a bunch of parasites agreeing that Apple is perfect, everything they do is perfect, they are incapable of not being perfect, all competition is flawed, all competition will be DOA, all competition is run by morons. - then have the gull to call out anyone who disagrees a 'troll'.

Sorry, but someone has to interrupt the 'feel good affirmation' of the shareholders standing around congratulating each other like they had something to do with Apple's success - and inject a tiny bit of common sense into the cult... or we would have no fun at all.

If anything, I'm saving the forum from being undeniably called the dreaded F.B. term. In fact, I might even be considered a hero for my clever and well spoken insight.

Yes, this forum needs a martyr from time to time.

... and for those of you who read this far and STILL don't 'get it', well, you probably never will.

apple is not perfect, but it's not doing to bad either, and everything you said about apple's competitors are true, particularly in RIM's case. go ahead and take your self-righteous nonsense somewhere else. i'm sure your hard work is really appreciated, but it's not needed.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Not just Apple.

I have 54 stocks up on screen for monitoring, These include several energy, internet, Housing, Automotive, pharmaceutical and tech stocks, and only ONE is up, ONLY ONE (Chesapeake Energy).

Skip

Well I own Chevron and Exxon and both are up today. Looks like you need to re-balancce your portfolio to ride out these swings better

btw I think there's profit taking on Apple. It's a "coiled-spring" stock it will bounce so - a buying opportunity though I think it will drop to 320 first
  • Reply 37 of 56
    My best guess:

1. Apple won't have a special event for the MacBook Pro refreshes. They'll just appear on the website one day.

2. The special event will be for iPad 2 with significant enhancements. The kicker: They'll be available immediately.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

There is a game pad being tested that is around 5 or 6 inch and may be 3DS. Stop linking it to ipod or ipad its neither of them, its a gaming device build specifically for games. It may have build-in physical game controllers that slide from behind the screen. They could call it iPlay

I got the feeling the rumours for the ipad 3 in fall is leaks of the gaming pad that is confused for a new ipad model

Why would Apple -- which has iPhone, iPod touch and iPad that all run iOS and all do many things, including playing games -- come out with a 5- or 6-inch pad that only plays games?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

Perhaps if every one of your posts were not of the same negative ilk .... your "satire" would not be so "invisible" .

I will agree with that. 'Rain' is getting a little long in the tooth.

Everyone seems to like and agree with my other handle here thou.

Maybe it is time to slay the troll and let the parasites win. Then the big love-in can get on without any interruption and real world perspective.

After 30+ years, I'm starting to consider a computing life outside of Apple anyways. This new round of giving consultants the middle finger, insatiable greed, and just pure arrogance has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes, some of us have been in Apple's court for a very very long time. There is a changing of the guard going on and not everyone is happy with the direction. The company is making 1984 exactly like 1984 in some kind of twisted irony.

Yah yah, 'don't let the door hit you on the way out... blah blah blah'.

Just remember one thing.

Apple didn't get to where they are today because of their technology, their innovation, their industrial design, their concepts or their leadership. They got there because of people. People who contributed not for money - but for an ideal.

Today, that mojo is all but gone. They no longer care about the ideal - just getting 30% of whatever it may be.

Maybe it's that kind of greed that makes big business successful.

Maybe it's that kind of greed that makes big business fall.

I will say this - if you don't think about these things and are only concerned about the little numbers in the top right... then you are truly blind and will reap the results you deserve.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    what are the odds of it having a single core processer? because that would really suck