Alleged MacBook Pro pictures reveal Apple's high-speed 'Thunderbolt' port

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    Seems it's still too early for USB 3.0. Cougar Point chipset doesn't incorporate it so Apple isn't likely to go out of its way to include it via another chip. Suppose someone could always make a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter.
  • Reply 62 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

NOT in the slightest does this alleviate the complaint regarding the lack of official wireless transfers! Many time I just want to transfer a picture or two, maybe three or four songs I bought on my iPad, or a single app...etc.

I still have to pull out a cable and connect the iPad for something SO trivial! The Zine had this feature years ago and it works perfectly. Is Apple refusing to add it because they are afraid of being seen as copying Apple? This makes no sense at all.

I see your point, but there are options (though not as smooth and simple as I?d like them to be) available.

The problem with your comment is completely discount the logistics and planning involved with allowing a certain size/type of wireless backup/sync/updates.

You can?t, for example, simply have a 64GB iPad sync over 802.11b network (assuming least common denominator because some older WiFi device is on the network). You have to figure out a way to choose what gets synced when and how. The most important stuff is already synced immediately with MobileMe and ActiveSync. Your calendar and contact data.

Wireless will come (Jobs even said so in an email) but you need to think it through and realize that it?s more complicated than you?re making it out to be. Personally, I think we?ll see some of this added to iOS 5.0.
  • Reply 63 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

If these specs are real, I'll be disappointed with 1280x800 and by the inclusion of an internal optical drive.

Yep, how can an 11.6" screen be higher resolution than a 13.3" one? How would that line up with the MBA being the "next generation of MacBooks"? I would also expected SSD technology to creep in somewhere.
  • Reply 64 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHiavelli92 View Post

I think you'll find that Harry Potter has (or had) a Thunderbolt.

It's got Harry Potter's broomstick model for a name and it's got the Harry Potter scar for an icon.

Maybe JK Rowling has bought into Apple shares and is now dictating things.

Actually, Harry Potter had a Firebolt not a Thunderbolt. That would have been a cooler name but since they already have FireWire they probably wouldn't want to confuse people.
  • Reply 65 of 151
    Wonder if Apple is using a version of Cougar Point with SATA 6Gbps. If they are, has it been limited in firmware. Remember they did that a while back? Limited a SATA 3Gbps system to 1.5Gbps and then later released a firmware update to remove the limitation. People might want to fit a 6Gbps SSD. I hope Apple's SSDs for these models have 6Gbps controllers.
  • Reply 66 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by primaltheory View Post

Actually, Harry Potter had a Firebolt not a Thunderbolt. That would have been a cooler name but since they already have FireWire they probably wouldn't want to confuse people.

Ahhhhhh thanks for putting me right on the name there. Doh!
  • Reply 67 of 151
    The name and logo are also very similar to HTC's latest phone.
  • Reply 68 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Will LIGHTPEAK allow us to connect 2 external monitors to a Macbook? Wouldn't that be cool?

Mini-DP will allow you to do that since it can be daisy chained. Apple hasn't added a displayport-out to the displays.
  • Reply 69 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Thunderbolt connector supporting High-Speed I/O and MiniDisplay-Port devices ...

Isn't anyone else concerned about them putting this into the mini-display port?

Where I work we've had multiple failures of mini-display ports. Even the ones that didn't just stop working one day often become "mushy" after just a few months of use, especially the ones on the MacBook pros.

In my experience the only connector that will basically fall out after too much use *more* than mini-display, is the old mini-DVI ones which are just ridiculous and rarely last as long as the laptop itself. Putting all your video and all your data through one tiny port with a dubious connector doesn't sound good to me. I'd rather see it in the magsafe.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    It will take some time to get used to "Thunderbolt", but I far prefer real names and words to stupid, geeky, non-descriptive acronyms like USB, HDMI, ADSL & whatnot.

And since Intel recently ditched the optical cable in favor of copper in the Light Peak project, it would actually make sense if they didn't call it Light Peak anymore.
  • Reply 71 of 151
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    I agree that the stats for the system are a bit odd, but if that is the low end model, I do like the fact that MBPs will all have either i5 or i7 processors. This lets them revamp the MBA to have i3 chips. Let i3 processors with HD3000 GPUs be the entry to laptops in the MBA line, then people can move up to i5 and i7 based MBPs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

And since Intel recently ditched the optical cable in favor of copper in the Light Peak project, it would actually make sense if they didn't call it Light Peak anymore.

Intel didn't ditch it, the first iteration of the cable has copper included as an intermediary step. Eventually it will transition to fully optical as copper will run out of bandwidth before the 100 Gb/s top speed is reached.
  • Reply 72 of 151
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Apple must like that Mac users have to pay more for accessories than non-Mac users. "Let's make this new port proprietary so we can collect license fees from hard drive manufacturers." Who will then pass the costs on to the users.

Gawd I hope this rumor about it being a proprietary port is not true. If/when Lightpeak is on Macs, it had better use an industry standard connector. The only thing good about such a unified connector is if they plan on having docking stations (or a monitor) which will breakout the new data connection into standard USB, Firewire, and Ethernet ports. And if USB & Firewire aren't also on the laptop itself, it's a no-sale for me.
  • Reply 73 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what LightPeak is. It would be fast enough to handle just about every single external connection at the same time with no slowdown. I could be wrong, though, I haven't been keeping up on LightPeak recently.

Actually didn't Intel just announce that the optics were dropped from lightpeak & that they would be able to achieve the same speeds via a copper connection, even eventually up to 100GB/s.

I don't buy any of this for a second, this is all so easily photoshopped & lightpeak spec isn't even finished yet. When Apple released MiniDP there was already a DP spec finalized & they had their port design added to the standard. You can't combine DP which has 1 standard & lightpeak which is a completely different standard. Sorry but if this is true and Apple has released a product utilizing a technology that wasn't even supposed to be finalized until 2012 & only recently changed timeline to be within 2011 for release then it is a stupid move.

What I might believe is that Apple released their own additional overhead to MiniDP to allow it to also be used for dock purposes & multi-monitor. That maybe I would believe since DP is already theoretically capable of 20GB/s but then I'm still hard pressed to believe this report.
  • Reply 74 of 151
    Thunderbolt and Light Peak, very very frightening, me! Galieleo!
  • Reply 75 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

If you think value for money = a completely redesigned shell, then apple products aren't for you. If build quality, stability, resale value and user experience are important and worth making an investment for, then make the jump.

Sure all those things are good, but weren't there some implications when the new Air came out that this was the design direction for all new notebooks? So I would expect a redesigned case this time around.
  • Reply 76 of 151
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Firewire (yeah the real one) has made inroads in most camera applications for pros, so task accomplished for apple, no need to make on every pc as well, why should apple care?). Firewire was established where it should have been, and the stupid, unavoidable, and less advanced usb is used for the rest since it's a standard.

Technology comes and goes. The video pros are using compact flash now, not firewire. The tape is dead.
  • Reply 77 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It?s not unusual when you consider the image looks just like the previous model in thickness and design, that this also contains an optical drive, and that it?s the entry level 13? notebook.

The fact that it looks exactly like the current 13" model and has the exact same dimensions and weight makes these shots even less believable in my opinion. I simply can't imagine Apple not changing a single thing to the new MBP line that would change it's shape and weight, like a different battery, design cues from the Air (tapered, slimmer design), an edge-to-edge display with a higher resolution, a larger glass trackpad or a different logic board. All of these could remove or add weight, or size, and 2.04 kg is a figure accurate up to 10 grams, which is nothing.

I simply can't imagine that we're going to see an MBP that only has an i5 instead of a C2D, and a new port that is shared with the existing mini DisplayPort, but have all the same components otherwise. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I find it more plausible that someone (maybe even Apple themselves) deliberately had boxes with these specs made and photographed to already get everyone worked up on a possible lackluster upgrade, only to surprise the whole world with a brand new case design and better specs than on this box. Apple has been known for deliberate and sometimes false or incomplete leaks.
  • Reply 78 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tommyt12 View Post

Look at the left edge of the profile screen shot. What is that color change that occurs in the middle of the Magsafe port and continues up the screen? It looks far to dark and defined to be a shadow and it is perfectly straight down the middle of the port.

It's either a photoshopped picture, or there might be some LiquidMetal involved?

I can guarantee you that that weird color change is wrapping plastic, the non-sticky -static-free stuff they put around all new ipods and macbooks, etc.
  • Reply 79 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

The fact that it looks exactly like the current 13" model and has the exact same dimensions and weight makes these shots even less believable in my opinion. I simply can't imagine Apple not changing a single thing to the new MBP line that would change it's shape and weight, like a different battery, design cues from the Air (tapered, slimmer design), an edge-to-edge display with a higher resolution, a larger glass trackpad or a different logic board. All of these could remove or add weight, or size, and 2.04 kg is a figure accurate up to 10 grams, which is nothing.

I simply can't imagine that we're going to see an MBP that only has an i5 instead of a C2D, and a new port that is shared with the existing mini DisplayPort, but have all the same components otherwise. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I find it more plausible that someone (maybe even Apple themselves) deliberately had boxes with these specs made and photographed to already get everyone worked up on a possible lackluster upgrade, only to surprise the whole world with a brand new case design and better specs than on this box. Apple has been known for deliberate and sometimes false or incomplete leaks.

So you think by keeping a single, low-end model with the previous dimensions and weight means that the entire line will also keep the previous dimensions and weight despite the longstanding precedence of Apple keeping an older style build with some simple internal and simple external changes?
  • Reply 80 of 151
    Why not just call it LightPeak? The second makes me think of fiber optics more than the first.