Apple may introduce user interface overhaul in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The lion is the king of the jungle; there is nothing beyond a lion.

I wonder if perhaps it will be not only the biggest, baddest OS ever, but also the last computer OS from Apple.

"Computers are trucks."

Is Apple, who makes so much money in consumer electronics, going to continue to spend their wheels in the trucking business where they've garnered at most a 10% market share after 20 years of trying? Hard to say.

We saw what "Back to the Mac" meant. It didn't mean bringing the company's focus back to the Mac, it meant bringing iOS features to Mac.

Maybe the two will merge....

The mac is a profitable and growing business -- no need to walk away from that.

But I think you raise some good questions that I've also been wondering. If iOS and MacOS converge, I suspect it won't happen for at least another 5 years. And if it happens, it will involve iOS moving "up" just as much as Mac OS moving "down". iOS needs things like a file system while Mac OS needs things like greater simplicity / stability. And I don't mean "stability" in the "protected memory" sense -- I mean stability in the "resistance to user-induced entropy" sense. A user can accidentally "muck up" OSX to a degree that just isn't possible with iOS.

My guess is that the converged OS would seamlessly shift interface modes depending on context (is your iPad docked via Thunderbolt to a monitor/keyboard/mouse? ok then, shift interface out of touchy-mobility mode and into clicky-desktop mode). I'm guessing it would also hide the unix underpinnings much more deeply than the current Mac OS (ie, you don't even see a "System" or "Library" folder, unless perhaps you enter into some super advanced mode). It's entirely possible that access to the unix underpinning would be restricted to some kind of "developer" mode, the activation of which might require a sequence of obscure, non-obvious steps to keep consumers safe (like installing developer tools.... or maybe developers and power users would get their own "developer" version of the OS).
  • Reply 42 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

I'd expect nothing less. Why would you make a major release that looks the same as the last?

They did say "much-anticipated UI overhaul". None of the recent Mac OS X releases got a "UI overhaul". The closest to that being the slanted dock and stacks.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They did say "much-anticipated UI overhaul". None of the recent Mac OS X releases got a "UI overhaul". The closest to that being the slanted dock and stacks.

Killing off the pinstripes was a BIG improvement.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EsquireMac View Post

Can we all agree to stop saying that the Mac App Store is a feature of OS X Lion?

I don't get why people keep saying that.

It's like when Apple was calling iTunes an iLife app.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    I think they need to just make everything coherent again. When I first went to Mac, 10.4 was installed, and somehow everything seemed to look and feel a lot more whole.

Some of the stuff they have added since, whilst useful, don't seem to fit in with everything. Things like Stacks don't seem to look right. Time Machine doens't look like it's as integrated as it is. iTunes having the traffic lights vertical instead of horizontal is wierd.

Fundementally I like the UI, but it does look like it's time for a tidy up.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

My only question on the next version after lion, if it's an 11.0, would it still be OS X, or OS XI?

why? Why not just Mac OS 11? Max OS 2012 ...? why does the X or any roman numerals need to be there?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I doubt very much they would rebrand it since they understand very well the value of brands. Most likely it will just be Mac OS X v11.0. This will freak out the literalists who will insist that the X == Roman numeral for decimal 10 and it should be Mac OS XI v11.0, but at this point it's just part of a brand name so it doesn't really matter. Besides, the redundancy police would remain upset if it became OS XI v11.0. You can't make everyone happy.

Mac OS v11.0 is fine... just drop the X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Nope. Lion is 10.7. Apple still has 10.8 and 10.9 to play with.

and 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14, 10.15, 10.16, 10.17, 10.18 ..... 10.932982347872877834682873473 ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

High odds that 10.8 will be "Mountain Lion".

very likely, but I'd rather them do Lioness. Lion is mainly about UI changes, just like Lions are mainly about looks and show... 10.8 would be refinements under the hood, just like a Lioness actually does all the work.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

High odds that 10.8 will be "Mountain Lion".

or dandelion.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    My biggest complaint about the Mac OS 10 UI? The MenuBar. Specifically, the application menus in the MenuBar.

On any large screen, it's frustrating and a contextual switch. On a multi-monitor setup, my desk setup with a MBP 15 + 24" LCD, it's just plain bad. Apple should switch to contextual pop-up menus for Lion. MenuBar would still be there, just the application menus would disappear, to be replaced by pop-up menus.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Since they will "introduce the possibility for apps to run in full screen" there's gotta be something more to it than simply full screen. I mean, there is absolutely nothing stopping an app from running in full screen today. So perhaps they got some new nice and big interface jazz up their sleeves... kind'a like iPad meets Dashboard-ish or something. A nice way for UI elements to flow in and out of sight when needed.

Come to think of it, perhaps a reason for waiting with the iWorks update is a true fullscreen mode.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

[Well I would hope so: never understood the LaunchPad option: it displays all the Application icons on your desktop while they're also available in the Dock. I mean; this creates two places to launch an app from within a singel view. Different, but similar to Windows QuickLaunch Toolbar

Personally, I think it's a great idea. It would allow me to clean up my dock to the bare essentials. If I want more apps, they're a quick swipe away. They're easily sortable, with large icons, and they disappear when I don't want to look at them. I only wonder if I'll be able to drag a file onto a Launchpad app...
  • Reply 51 of 82
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I'd like a user interface that actually allows you to find out what the app can do.

Apple like to clean up the interface by hiding features behind adhoc pointer/keyboard combinations, so it's guesswork as to what features are there, or even which parts of the canvas are active. If you hide the controls, great, but there must be a method, standard to every screen, that lets you systematically discover all the features. Apple are *terrible* at this.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

@elmsley

Yes, because as we all know, the essense of an OS release is HOW IT LOOKS.

Hey, that's a huge part of the attraction. When you visit the website to learn about it, watch a demo video, or turn on your own computer, the GUI is essential to the user's impression and feel about an OS.

Can you imagine if OS X used a green and blue taskbar? Bleh
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

...How about we stop prejudging and criticising software we've yet to see in the wild and making negative comments based on supposition and guesswork....

Um, because it's called past experience...
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The lion is the king of the jungle; there is nothing beyond a lion.

I wonder if perhaps it will be not only the biggest, baddest OS ever, but also the last computer OS from Apple.

"Computers are trucks."

Is Apple, who makes so much money in consumer electronics, going to continue to spend their wheels in the trucking business where they've garnered at most a 10% market share after 20 years of trying? Hard to say.

We saw what "Back to the Mac" meant. It didn't mean bringing the company's focus back to the Mac, it meant bringing iOS features to Mac.

Maybe the two will merge....

Macs are still extremely profitable for Apple. The success of the iPhone/iPod/iPad lines is aided by its existence and Apple's entire ideology is based around having a complete IT structure where users don't have to turn to Windows or the like. I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would consider dropping the Mac line. It will not happen.

However good Lion turns out to be, there will still be advancements in the future that will require updates to the OS. 10.7 will not be the last version of OSX.

It may well be that as mobile devices get more powerful they will use a more and more similar version of OSX to the desktop/notebook line and the device will simply use the front end best suited to its form factor. I'd expect that, but I do not see a world without Notebooks and Desktops. However good your iPad gets, the contemporary notebook or desktop will always be faster, with a larger screen and that 'base of operations' feeling that users like.

I think Apple's current lineup of products is nearly final. They will get better, but I think the current classes will be here for the foreseeable future. MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros may well merge in time though. It all depends on battery technology advancements I'd say.

Apple has the feeling of being a juggernaut at the moment. Nobody else can offer the totality of device classes that they can. It'll be interesting to see what HP can do with WebOS and what others try to do to survive in the long term against Apple. Microsoft is a crumbling empire, the sick man of Redmond. Its harlots will have to find their own ways to survive!

That got deep...sorry guys!!
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

And how would this be different from his normal condition?\

Ok, I don't know about depression or pills in Ballmer's life, but hygiene... that man breaks into a sweat just breathing.

and dancing and yelling and clapping
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is nonsense.

For starters, the male Lion is basically "second in command" of the pride, so Lioness's beat Lions hands down. The Lionesses do all the hunting, and they are the ones that hand out the kill to the pride. The big scary male Lion's often have to wait until they are told to eat.

The Lion being the "King of Beasts" or the "King of the Jungle" is just an old British meme that came about because the Lion was the animal figurehead of the British Empire. The obvious clue is that Lion's don't even live in a jungle, but rather on the savanah.

Lions are prey to other Lions, young males are kicked out of the pride by the current big males so they don't have competition for the females, a group of those kicked out young males will gang together and when strong enough, attack a pride, once the cubs have been killed and the male older lions killed or forced out the females accept the new males as in charge.

The reason male lions stay behind is because taking out an exotic deer is not challenging, fighting a whole group of young male lions is.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah, they could start in on the primates. That would be interesting. Even skipping over a few like marmosets and lemurs there would still be plenty of names. In a couple million years they might reach Mac OS Hominid.

Once Apple makes an OS that I can talk to very fast without errors, and ask real deep meaningul question like on Star Trek then I'll get excited, but while I still have to type into a keyboard to enter text and navigate using my fingers forget it.

I'd also like them to create hollow deck characters I can inteact with and have sex with Cmd Riker!

Computer!
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Killing off the pinstripes was a BIG improvement.

Hardly an "overhaul".
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Macs are still extremely profitable for Apple.

Not to mention that they do A LOT OF THINGS iPads cannot do, and won't be able to do FOR YEARS.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not to mention that they do A LOT OF THINGS iPads cannot do, and won't be able to do FOR YEARS.

Or ever. Even if we include an eventual iOS evolution to something akin to the Motorola Atrix, but actually usable, we are still looking at an iDevice that is acting like a Mac (I.e., a desktop computer).