MacBook Pro rumor roundup: Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, flash memory & more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

As an amateur connoisseur of movies I can say that I notice no real enjoyable difference between Netflix and blu-ray. I guess if I wanted to stand 2 feet away and use 7.1 surround ...

I found out recently that only 6% of the movies that Netflix streams is in HD (720p). 1080p

streaming will not be available for a year.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yeah.. because all of us want a high resolution screens to watch movies on our laptops

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

What this has to do with what I wrote?!
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

why should it? It's a macbook pro it should have dedicated graphics for all models. If you want the optical drive then get an external.

t,fify.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Wake me up when Apple enters the 21st century and adds the option for a blu-ray drive.

As far as I can see, Apple is not going to add DRM on OS level any time soon.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What this has to do with what I wrote?!

I'm wondering the same thing.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

It's interesting to note that the displayport 1.2 standard actually supports data bit rate of 20Gbps according to wikipedia (if I understand the article correctly). So, thunderbolt may turn out to be a 20Gbps, not a 10Gbps one. That's lotsa data!!

LightPeak optical is 10Gbps in each direction.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    There has to be something wrong with the screen resolution data. Using a lower res screen than the Air doesn't make any sense. It should be exactly the same panel.

While a DisplayPort implementation of LightPeak sounds interesting I almost always work with an external display so I'll have to buy some sort of LightPeak hub to avoid blocking the port with my display cable. The USB shaped port I'd seen pictured seemed like a better idea having instant backward compatibility and ease of training newbies that they should use this port for "stuff".

I think the optical drive will survive 2011 and vanish in 2012 (perhaps living on for one revision of the 17" MBP like the ExpressCard slot did when most Macs moved to SD slots.

It's extremely disappointing to see Best Buy predicting a major price increase for the 17" MBP. Some of us just want a bigger screen.

BlueRay has a place in home theatres where screens are enormous, audio frequently 5.1 or better and lighting carefully controlled. Anyone who builds such a room isn't going to stand for compression artifacts, jaggies or flat sound.

In my mind, when the screen is only a foot wide, as in a notebook computer, the need for BlueRay just isn't there.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's extremely disappointing to see Best Buy predicting a major price increase for the 17" MBP. Some of us just want a bigger screen.

The price increase is relative... the base model will probably start with i7 and 8gigs of ram. So if that is what you mean by a price increase then you are correct. I would assume that configuration will be slightly less than it is today.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    I don't get it. There's all this talk about these MBP's supporting Sandy Bridge -- yet there's no support for Sandy Bridge in 10.6.6, nor, it seems, in any of the betas of 10.6.7.

So .. either 10.6.7 actually does include support for Sandy Bridge, or these MBP's won't be coming out for a while (10.6.8).
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Wilkie View Post

I'm so damn sick of this argument. I'm a pro. I run an ad agency. I work with clients, vendors, producers, printers, etc. all the time. None of them ? none ? are using optical discs to move files around. Printers all have web portals where you can upload your press-ready files directly to their production department. Video production houses all email me links to H264 video I can preview online. Audio production houses have been using aiff and MP3 for years. Magazines all use web-based ad-send applications.

What's the attachment, seriously? Because I'll tell you one thing: my clients sure as hell aren't asking for CDs. As a pro, I would take a second SSD or more battery life over an optical drive any day of the week.

Now here's the real rub: the slot-loading superdrive sucks. It's slow as dirt. If you're a one of these weird video pros in an Amish community that still uses tons of DVDs then you wouldn't be happy with the performance of the superdrive and you'd buy a speedy 3rd party external anyway.

I can understand your sentiment regarding the optical drive, but optical drives are STILL relevant in 2011. I would gladly have them be obsolete in 2-3 years' time, but I do not see it happening.

I often purchase video media from foreign countries on DVD (I have a regionless player and use VLC), and that media is NOT available digitally for US consumers to purchase. In the cases of some UK television shows like Doctor Who, which are wildly popular outside of the UK, you can purchase them digitally from Amazon.com because they are re-broadcasted/produced through BBC America. There are dozens of shows I cannot purchase from UK or Japan when they are released for streaming on the each respective nation's streaming websites for sale in the same way that I can popular shows. Should only popular shows that are picked up by American networks be accessible?

I also have found that professional educational media has not gone digital.

I have purchased translation certification training books which come with audio CDs (A FEW have digital files online to enhance the physical book in the absence of a CD), and almost none of them offer online options.

I think if media and content providers globally allowed us to easily purchase from each other, I might do away with optical drives so easily. However, video content providers are not likely to do so due to the profits they earn in the DVD mark-up sales and each country's particular licensing fees.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

wtf are you talking about? 21st century? Most of us laugh at bluray laptops as the gimmick they are, and are waiting for optical drives to disappear entirely for the sake of size, weight, and/or SSDs.

PCs already have SSD drives. Did Apple fix its OS to handle the speeds or do they still have a limit?

This laptop seems to be doing great running Intel's example of Intel's ( NOT APPLE'S) light peak - last year.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/gallery/news/...ht-peak-laptop
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qoogirl View Post

I can understand your sentiment regarding the optical drive, but optical drives are STILL relevant in 2011. I would gladly have them be obsolete in 2-3 years' time, but I do not see it happening.

I often purchase video media from foreign countries on DVD (I have a regionless player and use VLC), and that media is NOT available digitally for US consumers to purchase. In the cases of some UK television shows like Doctor Who, which are wildly popular outside of the UK, you can purchase them digitally from Amazon.com because they are re-broadcasted/produced through BBC America. There are dozens of shows I cannot purchase from UK or Japan when they are released for streaming on the each respective nation's streaming websites for sale in the same way that I can popular shows. Should only popular shows that are picked up by American networks be accessible?

I have purchased translation certification training books which come with audio CDs (A FEW have digital files online to enhance the physical book in the absence of a CD), and almost none of them offer online options.

I think if media and content providers globally allowed us to easily purchase from each other, I might do away with optical drives so easily. However, video content providers are not likely to do so due to the profits they earn in the DVD mark-up sales and each country's particular licensing fees.

You can buy an external DVD drive

You can't buy thinness or and external GPU.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Wake me up when Apple enters the 21st century and adds the option for a blu-ray drive.

(Why are they giving high resolution screens with no source to provide media to play on them?)

Have you been sleeping? Blue-ray is dead. Optical discs are dead...it's STREAMING baby!
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabberwolf View Post

PCs already have SSD drives. Did Apple fix its OS to handle the speeds or do they still have a limit?

This laptop seems to be doing great running Intel's example of Intel's ( NOT APPLE'S) light peak - last year.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/gallery/news/...ht-peak-laptop

More sleeping whiners...

Apple is the largest consumer of flash memory (IN THE WORLD) and ships laptops and imacs with ssd pre-installed. More shipments than any other pc vendor.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qoogirl View Post

Most people are not watching foreign DVDs. Most people are not watching training DVDs. Most people are not using optical discs anymore. I'm sorry that you seem to be stuck using them, but you can't expect Apple to hold back innovation in the name of supporting legacy formats. It's contrary to everything the Mac platform is about.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

Have you been sleeping? Blue-ray is dead. Optical discs are dead...it's STREAMING baby!

Where can I stream something the quality of blu-ray?
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Apple, here is what I want: a gaming laptop. I spent nearly $3K on my 2009 17" MacBook Pro and I have to play it on medium settings at a low resolution. Please offer us a gaming video chipset this year!

Yes, I know, such performance cuts into battery life. That is why we can toggle between performance and energy saver in the power options on the Mac.

It would be nice to do CPU intensive tasks on my MacBook Pro while on the road for work related stuff, and gaming at home.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    'This is like listening to Siskel and Ebert and instead of reviewing the movie they tell you how it ends. Can't anybody just wait for the announcement from Apple. Patience is a lost virtue.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    so when are they being announced? Randomly taking down apple store sometime in the AM?