MacBook Pro rumor roundup: Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, flash memory & more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therakker View Post

so when are they being announced? Randomly taking down apple store sometime in the AM?

Sounds about right. Or Tuesday. Whenever. 6AM PST, regardless.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    pretty weird considering they like to explain new technologies. I would think thunderbolt would qualify.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Where can I stream something the quality of blu-ray?

You can't. And what the "blu-ray is dead" chanters refuse to acknowledge is that you won't be able to for at least a decade.

When I can purchase a 40GB 1080p film digitally for $10-$20 and have it streamed to any of my devices from the cloud without ever having to store the movie anywhere, then blu-ray will be dead.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therakker View Post

pretty weird considering they like to explain new technologies. I would think thunderbolt would qualify.

Intel is having some kind of press event to talk about Light Peak. I think Apple is leaving it to them to provide the basics. I doubt Apple's implementation strays much Intel - maybe just the connector.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:

Great, where do I sign up for 10Gbps broadband?

And it would still look like shit against blu-ray.

I don't understand why people keep coming back to this 1080p bullshit.

I can take any picture and make it 1920x1080 pixels.

1080p alone MEANS NOTHING.

Until broadband can deliver acceptable bitrates to stream real HD content with HD audio, there is no replacement for blu-ray.

Then again, I could just let myself believe all of the marketing BS, and lower my standards to a lower quality media for the sake of some on this message board.

There is ZERO competition that comes close to the quality of blu-ray and there wont be for the foreseeable future.

Keep preaching it! I do not necessarily want blu-ray as an internal option, but would like the built in support for external drives. I don't understand how a company like Dell is able to sell a $500 computer with a Blu-ray, but it is still a "bag-of-hurt" for Apple.

I also don't understand how people think that streaming is any sort of quality in comparison to Blu-ray. You're right, until we see crazy fast Gbps internet speeds, streaming Blu-ray will be a pipe dream.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vjo,npd View Post

3) I see the 13" still has a HDD at 5400 RMP, if the MBP has the same thing I will be very disappointed 7200 should be standard.

5400 rpm drives are part of how the current 13" MBP gets 10 hours on a charge.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vjo,npd View Post

I think what you meant to say is "Apples" power consumption levels, there are plenty of laptops that have quad cores with dual threads from Intel. Now they do only get a few hours on a battery but I would take a quad core and 8 hours vs. 10 which is what we are hearing they will be.

You aren't going to get 8 hours on a quad core. Maybe 3+ hours, 4 hours if you're lucky...
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

Keep preaching it! I do not necessarily want blu-ray as an internal option, but would like the built in support for external drives. I don't understand how a company like Dell is able to sell a $500 computer with a Blu-ray, but it is still a "bag-of-hurt" for Apple.

You?re only considering the type of product, not the product being used. For Apple to include Blu-ray for a 9.5mm slot-loading drive it would be $500 JUST FOR THE DRIVE. But would you even think this is an option when they still haven?t added AACS support in 2011 and they are clearly moving away from internal optical drives altogether?

Quote:

I also don't understand how people think that streaming is any sort of quality in comparison to Blu-ray. You're right, until we see crazy fast Gbps internet speeds, streaming Blu-ray will be a pipe dream.

Blu-ray is great for systems that show Blu-ray in its true glory. That system is not a $500 notebook with crappy TN panel from Dell. That also isn?t on any consumer focused notebook even if it can do 1080p resolution.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Can't anybody just wait for the announcement from Apple. Patience is a lost virtue.

Well this is an Apple rumors site!
  • Reply 49 of 68
    Quote:

Where can I stream something the quality of blu-ray?

No need to get 1080p

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20015427-1.html

Another reason is that very few laptop have a 1080p monitor so it makes no sense.

Soon enough this will happen though and blue-ray will be dead. The trend now is to remove the DVD player in the laptop, not upgrade it. I removed mine years ago in favor of a second hard drive and I rip all my movies or watch the streaming 720p you can get already.

So, if you haven't heard Steve say enough times already. Blue-ray is not happening (neither is USB3 for that matter).
  • Reply 50 of 68
    of NVidia graphics on Apple machines? The only ones left are the IG on mini's and airs, and the optional Quadro for a Pro tower. Presumably at some point, the minis and airs will leave C2D behind too together with the IG on those models.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

As an amateur connoisseur of movies I can say that I notice no real enjoyable difference between Netflix and blu-ray. I guess if I wanted to stand 2 feet away and use 7.1 surround ...

Any television over 40 inches benefits greatly from blu-ray quality.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Honestly I am really looking forward to these new laptops despite the disappointment displayed by others. I have the 2.33ghz MBP from about 4 years ago and I only get an hour and 15 minutes of battery at the most. I have the X1600 graphics crap card as well. So this should be a pretty big upgrade.

But, I really just want to see some better graphics in the 15 inch MBP. I play games that probably make the graphics card blow up and that is really what I want to see an upgrade of. Also I do a lot of professional photo and video editing and everything relating to speed is a PLUS. How much of an upgrade do you think this upcoming MBP will be compared to the one I have now? (2.33ghz core 2 duo, 3gb ram, ati x1600 graphics)
  • Reply 53 of 68
    so, today when i was checking about the only other tech company that i follow Lenovo (because they actually make computers that don't break every year)

I saw something being a MAJOR challenge to MBP battery life. the new Thinkpad 14' (16:10) can get up to 10 hours of battery life (6 cell battery) 15 hours (9 cell battery) and a whole 30 hours (9 cell battery + 9 cell splice battery)

Even though this is probably with almost nothing running, you can expect 20 hours interrupted by that (depending on what you are doing ofc!!!)

My other though on this (possible advantage of intel shitteron IGU's) is how will affect the battery life?

this might make some people rage and say troll... but i would like to see at least these 2 manufactures** compete for battery life "records"

**to date every Dell/HP/Sony/Toshiba laptop i have seen have had horrid keyboard VS Lenovo, and horrid builds compared to both Apple and Lenovo (by this i mean quality, Apple beats Lenovo in stylish any day )
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Any television over 40 inches benefits greatly from blu-ray quality.

You can?t say that. You haven?t stated a resolution, panel type, the sound system or even the average distance the viewer is from the TV.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

so, today when i was checking about the only other tech company that i follow Lenovo (because they actually make computers that don't break every year)

I saw something being a MAJOR challenge to MBP battery life. the new Thinkpad 14' (16:10) can get up to 10 hours of battery life (6 cell battery) 15 hours (9 cell battery) and a whole 30 hours (9 cell battery + 9 cell splice battery)

Even though this is probably with almost nothing running, you can expect 20 hours interrupted by that (depending on what you are doing ofc!!!)

My other though on this (possible advantage of intel shitteron IGU's) is how will affect the battery life?

this might make some people rage and say troll... but i would like to see at least these 2 manufactures** compete for battery life "records"

**to date every Dell/HP/Sony/Toshiba laptop i have seen have had horrid keyboard VS Lenovo, and horrid builds compared to both Apple and Lenovo (by this i mean quality, Apple beats Lenovo in stylish any day )

Only Sony and Apple have been using median averages for battery usage under a normal workload, whereas the other vendors are using the maximum time they can pull from the device.

Jobs said in the last event that they have made their battery life claims even more stringent for future products. That tells me that the advancements in Sandy Bridge are going to allow Apple to push even further ahead in battery life than their competition.

Mac OS X has the advantage that Windows does not and Lenovo can?t do anything about that, so for the same capacity battery on the same base HW Apple?s notebooks will use power more efficiently.

PS: How many mAh is that 9-cell battery? I wish they?d use more standard ways to measure.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Only Sony and Apple have been using median averages for battery usage under a normal workload, whereas the other vendors are using the maximum time they can pull from the device.

Jobs said in the last event that they have made their battery life claims even more stringent for future products. That tells me that the advancements in Sandy Bridge are going to allow Apple to push even further ahead in battery life than their competition.

Mac OS X has the advantage that Windows does not and Lenovo can?t do anything about that, so for the same capacity battery on the same base HW Apple?s notebooks will use power more efficiently.

PS: How many mAh is that 9-cell battery? I wish they?d use more standard ways to measure.

i don't know, this link is here

but even if it is (and it probably is) with nothing running, it still can get 15-20 hours doing stuff easily.... probably more (not to mention this is the first laptop to get a gold rating... (from what ever it says in video/webpage) here and here

as a note, the old thinkpad that i have (9 cell battery) says starting with 84.24 WHR... from the google search the 9 cell battery have 7800 mAh... i also tried to find Apples (on its site) and couldn't

i just hope for competition = better batteries
  • Reply 57 of 68
    apple forgot flash, apple learned thunderbolt!
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

as a note, the old thinkpad that i have (9 cell battery) says starting with 84.24 WHR... from the google search the 9 cell battery have 7800 mAh... i also tried to find Apples (on its site) and couldn't

85Wh: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Like I said, there is little in the way of HW that a company can do to make a battery better for a given device type. There are more efficient and denser battery technologies but they have short lives with recharges. The best we can do is probably still lithium polymer. There are some ways they can boost that with supporting HW and SW, but unless it?s designed in-house it?s likely available to everyone willing to pay for the advantage, which i think puts Lenovo and Apple in the running. Again, the changes we?re seeing here are likely only from Sandy Bridge?s power advantages at idle.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

I don't understand how a company like Dell is able to sell a $500 computer with a Blu-ray, but it is still a "bag-of-hurt" for Apple.

It's not that hard to understand. Apple wants you to buy movies from iTunes, not Wallmart.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Apple, here is what I want: a gaming laptop... Yes, I know, such performance cuts into battery life.

Both nVidia and AMD offer the option of switching between the integrated Intel GPU (for normal usage) and the discreet GPU (for gaming).

The theory is there is no battery performance hit when using the notebook under non-gaming conditions.

I haven't seen the AMD version of this in action yet though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You aren't going to get 8 hours on a quad core. Maybe 3+ hours, 4 hours if you're lucky..

Only if all cores are being used. Sandy Bridge essentially switches the extra cores off when not in use. Anandtech