Intel details Thunderbolt, says Apple has full year head start

Comments

• Reply 41 of 133
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Will I be able to plug in a hub? If displays can only be last in the chain, it would be awkward trying to connect something in between that does not need to be connected all the time. If there was a hub you could plug the screen in one port, and other devices in another.
  • Reply 42 of 133
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Far superior to USB1/2. Given a choice in I/O I always go with IEEE1394.

Me too, Firewire is far better than USB 2.

Specs sometimes lie. Even though USB 2.0 is supposed to be rated at 480 and the original Firewire is rated at a lower 400, the Firewire beats the USB 2.0 in real life usage, such as when using external drives. Firewire (400) has better sustained throughput and is faster than USB 2.0.
  • Reply 43 of 133
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Australian bushranger (outlaw) Captain Thunderbolt

I was thinking of updating my MacBook.
  • Reply 44 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Amazing that some posters think this is bad news for Apple! Oh, that's right; we get lots of PC fanatics that post here....

\

Indeed, that's the only explanation. To anyone who actually has their head on straight, it's clear that this is a big, big win for Apple. Between this and the upcoming new Final Cut, it's clear they are targeting their core video graphics market. (Which is a statement no one's made about Apple in a while, so it's nice to see them revisit their roots.) They'll be the only vendor offering this kind of throughput for a whole year.

As far as "USB catching up", as one clown suggested, take a look at Apple's comparison speed graph. USB isn't even CLOSE, and won't be any time soon. (Certainly not for the next year!)

And re questions about "where's the fiber", that technology is simply not yet ready, but it is in the pipeline.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

According to the CNET article, it's not that Apple has an exclusive. Intel just thinks that PC manufacturers will probably wait until their next design cycles to implement.

Right, Intel's not doing this out of the goodness of their little corporate hearts. They figure Apple would be first to adopt the new technology anyway, and thus create a demand. (And Apple's video editor users are the ones who need this stuff the most.) The PC industry will eventually copy Apple, as TB becomes 'standard' equipment, like USB, and PC buyers expect it.

It's also remotely possible that Intel couldn't roll out the chipsets acorss the entire PC industry all at once anyway. (Though I don't know this for a fact.)
  • Reply 45 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Me too, Firewire is far better than USB 2.

Specs sometimes lie. Even though USB 2.0 is supposed to be rated at 480 and the original Firewire is rated at a lower 400, the Firewire beats the USB 2.0 in real life usage, such as when using external drives. Firewire (400) has better sustained throughput and is faster than USB 2.0.

Indeed. USB 2 is burst (whatever that means. I've never had anywhere near it with USB) to 480Mbps. FireWire 400 is sustained 400Mbps, with 800 following suit.

Across computers with the same USB-SD adapter and SDHC card, I've had anywhere from 4Kbps to 4Mbps. It just depends on which computer.
  • Reply 46 of 133
    I'm getting worried that Apple may not release a PCI Express card for Mac Pros to add this to their current lineup.

But if they do then I'm sure they will come out with Boot Camp drivers which would possibly allow the device to be used on Windows computers.

Guess I will cross my fingers and pray to Steve that they release a Mac Pro card.
  • Reply 47 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

I didn't see any other companies join Intel in developing this technology. Apple has every right to first dibs on Thunderbolt.

And device makers have every right to say no thank you to thunderbolt until it isn't exclusive or to sell them at a much higher price tag. Limiting this to Apple hurts its chances at adoption.
  • Reply 48 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And device makers have every right to say no thank you to thunderbolt until it isn't exclusive or to sell them at a much higher price tag. Limiting this to Apple hurts its chances at adoption.

You forgot to add IYHO....
  • Reply 49 of 133
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

That is very very *BAD*

I was going wow the minidisplay port is going to get popular, then boom, exclusivity until 2012. WTF they want to make sure it doesnt work or what?

Apple "control-freak" attitude is going to kill the company some day.

If the first developer kits go out in the spring (say April first, heh), companies working on systems using it should be shipping about nine months later, which would be the first of 2012.

Peripherals are already showing up, but they're a *lot* easier to develop.

I seriously doubt that this is going to have much effect at all on total uptake in the industry.
  • Reply 50 of 133
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fiber's 100Gbps and no power.

Copper's 10Gbps and power.

They'll both have their uses.

Intel's been looking into implementing the fiber version with a coaxial power conductor, although it appears to have been a late starter for some reason.
  • Reply 51 of 133
    Got a Lacie USB 3.0 PCIe card for my Mac Pro, will only work with Lacie stuff. USB 3.0 on the Mac not so good. Thunderbolt is supported by Apple & will work with any manufacturers stuff.
  • Reply 52 of 133
    Quote:

That's fine by me. With LaCie and WD already onboard, Caldigit and G-Technology probably aren't far behind. Why didn't others invest in Thunderbolt? Apple did, so Apple gets it first, others can take a number and have a seat until next spring.
  • Reply 53 of 133
    Quote:

This is not limited to apple. Apple has a HEAD start because it helped develop the tech but its not limited to apple. I am thinking Intel Just now released the tech out into the wild today.

That is why apple will have it a year before everybody else because other companies can just get it starting today so it will probably take a year for other companies to get it into products.

question is it possible for say ati to use thunderbolt as the outputs on a video card? replace the dvi and displayports with the minidisplayport thunderbolt connectors and have the thunderbolt processor onboard the graphicscard? This way combining thunderbolt with a gpu so that you can have full thunderbolt speed if you have one pcie x16 slot?
  • Reply 54 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed. Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and the rest will actually have to add the code to utilize it, whereas Apple has it out-of-the-box, today.

Awesome! Now what can I plug it into, today?

Sometimes Steve skates a little too far ahead of the puck.
  • Reply 55 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why replace, just add the TB cable? You need to keep the Cat6 for Windows or Linux machines.

Yes, I'm sure you want thuderbolt with it's wonderful 10s of meter's length vs. the current 100 meters limit of ethernet, on copper.

Underwhelmed. The home PC is dead. No one even needs USB3.0 either. The current trend is smaller and non expandable computers.

Oh, it's for professionals? How many of them are there?
  • Reply 56 of 133
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

25% of the consumer computer market (the "top" expensive 25%), is not "a tiny percentile of computer users."

???

Last time I have checked, Apple had around 10% in US and less than 5% world wide..? 5% of market as a base for pushing new technology is not really that much... \
  • Reply 57 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Yes, I'm sure you want thuderbolt with it's wonderful 10s of meter's length vs. the current 100 meters limit of ethernet, on copper.

Underwhelmed. The home PC is dead. No one even needs USB3.0 either. The current trend is smaller and non expandable computers.

Oh, it's for professionals? How many of them are there?

This allows one port for EVERYTHING. Devices connected to it look to the pc as if they are connected to pcie or as a display port. You can plug in a usb device to it with the right cord even an ethernet adapter.

This is the exact kind of things laptops and netbooks needed.
  • Reply 58 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Not sure why "Apple fanatics" shouldn't be mourning Firewire's demise. Far superior to USB1/2. Given a choice in I/O I always go with IEEE1394.

And it failed because it didn't manage to spread through the rest of the market - non-Apple part.

I don't know if and how much better this Thunderbolt is compared to USB3... but it is missing one thing USB has, and that is backward compatibility with USB2. Moving to USB3 is no brainer for manufacturers - everything will work.
  • Reply 59 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I didn't know that any professionals used windows.

In my business (pro audio), I hardly know anybody who doesn't use Macs.

You don't know many professionals, eh?
  • Reply 60 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

You forgot to add IYHO....

I haven't seen anyone adding that, but I always take it as given.