Consumer Reports claims Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 suffers same antenna issue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I understand that the media is overhyping the attenuation factor, but I am still curious why the other phones they tested don't have the same amount of degradation.

It's just the software. Other phones don't report the signal the same way the iPhone does. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that squeezing your hand around the antenna is going to degrade its signal. Your body absorbs the signal.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Interesting that Consumer Reports cannot recommend this hottest, biggest selling smartphone in the history of smartphones. It looks like they want to be contrarians to appear relevant.

Yes. They're either so insulated that they've bought into their own flawed methodology, or they're intentionally full of crap. Probably both.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have two friends that have one. I can only make it drop one bar with the death grip.

I call bull on CI.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

That being said, I've experienced only a handful of drop calls with AT&T's iPhone and even fewer with Verizon's. And I don't use an external case.

I went to the Apple store to replace a user's ViPhone and the Genius plugged it in for diagnostics (ended up being a bad battery). While he went back to replace it, I opened his laptop program and looked at the diagnostics. Showed several dropped calls. I unplugged hers and plugged mine in for kicks and it showed zero dropped calls. Funny.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    I pre-ordered an AT&T iPhone 4 last June. While I was waiting for the iPhone 4 to come in, I started to read about antenna/signal/dropped call problems. I thought it was probably just a bunch of Apple haters who were blowing something way out of proportion. Since I had a 3GS (and a 3G before that & NEVER had a problem with either), I thought Apple could do no wrong. I was excited to get my new iPhone 4!

I got it and used it for 3 1/2 weeks. I had to take it back for a full refund, it was the worst phone I've ever had (for dropped calls). I loved everything about the iPhone 4, display, speed, etc. but it dropped almost every single call that came in or went out. It didn't matter whether I was holding it or it was sitting somewhere while I used my Bluetooth, it dropped almost every call. I expected it to be as good as or better than my 3GS & my 3G, did I expect too much? I couldn't wait to get rid of the iPhone 4 because above everything else, it failed miserably to function as a 'CELL PHONE?!

I was EXTREMELY disappointed in Apple. How could they let such a piece of shit 'CELL PHONE' get to market with their name on it?

So, I reactivated my 3GS and life is good. When I see someone with an AT&T iPhone 4, I ask them 'how they like it' (I never say anything about 'antenna/signal/dropped call problems'). Almost every response is........."It drops a lot of calls".
  • Reply 26 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

I pre-ordered an AT&T iPhone 4 last June. While I was waiting for the iPhone 4 to come in, I started to read about antenna/signal/dropped call problems. I thought it was probably just a bunch of Apple haters who were blowing something way out of proportion. Since I had a 3GS (and a 3G before that & NEVER had a problem with either), I thought Apple could do no wrong. I was excited to get my new iPhone 4!

I got it and used it for 3 1/2 weeks. I had to take it back for a full refund, it was the worst phone I've ever had (for dropped calls). I loved everything about the iPhone 4, display, speed, etc. but it dropped almost every single call that came in or went out. It didn't matter whether I was holding it or it was sitting somewhere while I used my Bluetooth, it dropped almost every call. I expected it to be as good as or better than my 3GS & my 3G, did I expect too much? I couldn't wait to get rid of the iPhone 4 because above everything else, it failed miserably to function as a 'CELL PHONE?!

I was EXTREMELY disappointed in Apple. How could they let such a piece of shit 'CELL PHONE' get to market with their name on it?

So, I reactivated my 3GS and life is good. When I see someone with an AT&T iPhone 4, I ask them 'how they like it' (I never say anything about 'antenna/signal/dropped call problems'). Almost every response is........."It drops a lot of calls".

Sucks to be your area, but perhaps the issue is on AT&T with having less than ideal coverage strength. Yes the 3GS doesn't drop calls as you say, but for me, my i4 has been even more reliable than the 3GS. As a cell phone, it works awesome for me.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

I've had an iPhone 4 since the day they came out. Almost never drops calls. And when I see some with an AT&T iPhone 4 and ask them "how they like it", they ALWAYS say, "I LOVE IT!". Fortunately, most of the world agrees with my assessment, not yours.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    The same people that think the iPhone 4 is a POS for the supposed antenna issue are the same people that think the Xoom with its high price, buggy OS, lack of real apps, missing blockbuster app (Adobe Flash), missing blockbuster technology (4G), and non-working SD card slot is totally awesome.

Remember how lack of cut and paste in the original iOS was a huge deal to these people? Gotta love double standards.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm more inclined to trust millions of customers than Consumer Reports. I consider Apple and Verizon to be reputable companies, too.

Whenever anyone asks me about Consumer Reports' position, I recommend to them that they also check the JD Powers consumer satisfaction surveys. Most people seem to be quite happy with their iPhones.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

There are a lot of fanboy responses here ripping on Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports is a reputable organization. Their product reviews are typically very well researched, and carry weight among buyers who like to find out more about products before they buy. I'd bet that most Apple product users are early adopters, so it's no surprise that they don't understand this segment of the market.

So we've got an ongoing antenna issue with Apple iPhones, they report it, so you conclude that the website is irrelevant. Awesome stuff.

No, most people who bought Apple products did so from word of mouth. People trust friends & family to give them an honest assement versus some 3rd-party report. iPhone & iPad have stunning satisfaction ratings and users recommend to others. Consumer reports may be valuable for researching some types of product.

Spokesperson from Verizon said there hasn't been any dropped call issues with iPhone, only .05% which leads the industry. So, who do you trust? Data maniulated in a lab ? Or actual, real-world data from million plus users?

Sure, the iPhone antenna may behave unfavorably handled in specific ways, but does it impact user experience? iPhone is dropping less calls than other phones in real use, who cares how it performs in a lab.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gettysburg11s View Post

The antenna issue is a testament to how much people love Apple. Consumer Reports are being pretty hard nosed about it, but they are essentially correct. Despite what Apple says, I can attest to the fact that the problem does exist in low coverage areas, while competing smart phones don't have an issue. Apple should have swallowed its pride and fixed the issue immediately, instead of what they did: issue bumpers and then sell another phone with the same issue. We can only hope that Apple fixes the issue once and for all with the iPhone 5.

I sold my iPhone 4 and got a new HTC Inspire 4G, which I love. It has a much larger screen and Android is way more configurable. Maybe I should have kept my iPhone 3GS. Overall, it was a better phone than the iPhone 4, despite having a lower quality screen.

Glad you love your HTC. So why are you bothering to follow and/or reply to this article if not to slam Apple and then go on to say "We can only hope that Apple fixes the issue once and for all with the iPhone 5." as if you really care?
  • Reply 32 of 104
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why bother reporting on the garbage that comes from that irrelevant site?

You're an Australian, living in Australia, they are commenting on a product that is only available in the USA, what does it matter to you?
  • Reply 33 of 104
    I wonder who at or what Apple did to receive such scorn from CR?
  • Reply 34 of 104
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    I thought we had stablished the fact that all phones suffer from this if you hold them in a certain way that blocks the antenna.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Surprising for CR to not acknowledge that most smart phoned have the same problem. This has been rehashed numerous times in many threads For those that have an iPhone few will acknowledge that the antenna is a problem. I've personally not had any problem and I hold by iPhone any old way. Enough said on this topic
  • Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You're an Australian, living in Australia, they are commenting on a product that is only available in the USA, what does it matter to you?

So the rule is you can only post about products that are available for you to buy? You may want to stop posting on this site then since it specializes in news and rumors about products none of us can buy yet.
  • Reply 37 of 104
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    No other phone is affected by how you hold it? Hmmm... it?s a complex issue. So let?s see that expert testing procedure...

My iPhone 4 is caseless and problem-free, I?m happy to say.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

I thought we had stablished the fact that all phones suffer from this if you hold them in a certain way that blocks the antenna.

I though we established the fact that Consumer Reports doesn't actually have a state-of-the-art testing facility for testing cell phones and their reception!

I hardly call their glass box filled with testing and measuring equipment inside a lab filled with more equipment state-of-the-art.

Consumer Reports acting like the understand cell phone reception is like the Government acting like they understand budgeting.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Now which CR test person gets to do the iPhone? Is it the guy who just did a jet ski review, or the one that reported on bad tomatoes in Heinz ketchup?
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Usually when seeing this kind of a vendetta, and I say vendetta because I do not believe that CR has given all other phones the same testing, it is about money.

Apple is probably not slipping CR any backdoor money or some other quid pro quo. Who knows it may be as simple as not supplying them with samples to study or buying their staff phones and contracts.

Unfortunately that's the way the business world can work.

I used to be a CR fan but often found that their reviewed products were not models that I could find anywhere in the real world.