Mac OS X Lion iChat supports Yahoo Messenger video and voice chat

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I dislike that people have to know my AppleID to call me.

So you dislike them knowing your Apple id, but you want these same people to FaceTime you? To be fair if you don't want them to know your Apple id you are hardly going to FaceTime with them. FaceTime is for people you know personally, I think.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

I don't understand why Apple can't integrate Facetime into iChat. Seems like a no-brainer instead of having Facetime as a separate app.

It would probably make more sense.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

iChat is great piece of software.

Yes, it's super. It should support MSN though. MSN is huge in Europe.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I have found that the best solution for using MSN messenger is not to use MSN messenger. Most of my friends and family on MSN already have FaceTime and/or moved to GMail.

I've tried the same to use gmal more but only few of my suppliers out of 400 are using gmail and the rest all are on msn.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I suppose you could ask why Apple didn't integrate the App Store into iTunes. It didn't though, and the result is a less cluttered experience for both applications. I like when I open the App Store all I am dealing with is Mac applications.

Further, as others mentioned Face Time is different then iChat. Face Time actually operates when the application itself isn't open. Apple is also trying to promote it as a open platform (or at least it was going to do so).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

I don't understand why Apple can't integrate Facetime into iChat. Seems like a no-brainer instead of having Facetime as a separate app.

• Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I suppose you could ask why Apple didn't integrate the App Store into iTunes. It didn't though, and the result is a less cluttered experience for both applications. I like when I open the App Store all I am dealing with is Mac applications.

Further, as others mentioned Face Time is different then iChat. Face Time actually operates when the application itself isn't open. Apple is also trying to promote it as a open platform (or at least it was going to do so).

They didn't integrate the Mac App Store into iTunes because the purpose of iTunes is to manage your media collections and support your iDevices, which doesn't really have anything to do with buying software for your Mac.

I don't think it would be a big deal for them to integrate the ability to initiate FaceTime sessions in iChat, or even to make those sessions part of the iChat process tree. There aren't any insurmountable technical hurdles for that to happen, not even any particularly big ones.

I also don't think the idea hasn't occurred to them, it's a pretty obvious one, so I think this is simply one of those, "For reasons unknown to us..." situations.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you dislike them knowing your Apple id, but you want these same people to FaceTime you? To be fair if you don't want them to know your Apple id you are hardly going to FaceTime with them. FaceTime is for people you know personally, I think.

Perhaps he's referring to the the FaceTime sex chat services. I could see why you wouldn't want them to know your Apple ID.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Not to be snarky, but does anyone actually use Yahoo-whatever-this-service-is?
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Excellent - and now they only have to add MSN, Gtalk, Facebook, Skype and all the others to make it half as useful as Adium.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Excellent - and now they only have to add MSN, Gtalk, Facebook, Skype and all the others to make it half as useful as Adium.

Well, Google Talk and Facebook are already supported. I do agree for MSN. Does Adium support Skype?
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I dislike that people have to know my AppleID to call me.

In fact you can associate any of your e-mail addresses to your Facetime account: you don't really have to disclose your Apple ID.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They didn't integrate the Mac App Store into iTunes because the purpose of iTunes is to manage your media collections and support your iDevices, which doesn't really have anything to do with buying software for your Mac.

I don't think it would be a big deal for them to integrate the ability to initiate FaceTime sessions in iChat, or even to make those sessions part of the iChat process tree. There aren't any insurmountable technical hurdles for that to happen, not even any particularly big ones.

I also don't think the idea hasn't occurred to them, it's a pretty obvious one, so I think this is simply one of those, "For reasons unknown to us..." situations.

Agreed, they've obviously thought of merging the two. My guess is for now they want FaceTime to take on a life of it's own and existing separate from iChat makes that easier. As a standalone app, it's more visible and seen as video chat rather than IM (which is less sexy at the moment).

For now I think Apple's right. This visibility as a video calling tool should help FaceTime spread quickly. Hopefully once it's ubiquitous, and more stable, the feature gets rolled into iChat helping iChat to become more ubiquitous itself. At the moment, I don't really know anyone using iChat but I'd start if it supported FaceTime sessions since I know lots of people with iPhone4's.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Perhaps he's referring to the the FaceTime sex chat services. I could see why you wouldn't want them to know your Apple ID.

Holy crap you wouldn't.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    What I don't get is why Apple hasn't created a version of iChat for iOS. A good multiprotocol IM client built into iOS would be awesome; it could even be integrated into the current Messaging application.

But not, they don't seem to care about IM on iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not to be snarky, but does anyone actually use Yahoo-whatever-this-service-is?

Yeah, try not to think that whatever is in use where you are is common everywhere. I use Yahoo and MSN a lot, I don't know a single person using AOL (other than MobileMe subscribers). But then, I am in Europe.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is a difference between the two. iChat requires that you keep the app open to receive IMs, video, and voice call. On the other hand, FaceTime uses push notifications and there is no log in required (beyond the initial setup) and no buddy list to manage. Also FaceTime is not chat service.

Apple advertises FaceTime as a connection protocol. And there is a buddy list etc. It just happens to autofill from your Address Book.

So why not merge that protocol into one system. AND put the sameautofill into iChat and allow users the option for push in iChat. I love the idea that iChat could alert me to a 'buddy' being online or sending me a message even if I turned off the program. Or said forgot to turn it back on after a software update required redraft.

As for leaving the program on. This is a Lion (potential) feature so who knows what kind of efficiency will be built into the system to make it even less of a big deal to have programs on and in the background.

Heck, perhaps they could merge twitter functions into this as well. Really make it one stop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I suppose you could ask why Apple didn't integrate the App Store into iTunes.

Not really.

The App Store is for Mac exclusive items. Unlike iTunes and its stores. Everyone here likely gets the distinction and wouldn't ask the question.

Whereas iChat and FaceTime are both chat related items. So there is a potential connection
  • Reply 37 of 55
    I bet they had this same argument inside the halls & board rooms at Apple, whether or not to have Face Time within iChat. Since there is no audio-only or no typing with Face Time, it makes it different; exclusive of its own app.

iChat is a great app. But it does need many enhancements.

Adding MSN would be great.

A lot of the enhancements made by Chax should be built-in to iChat. This includes the log viewer, activity viewer, auto-accept features, and the plug-in's ability to automatically resize the contact list to fit.

Apple should also add some event features found in Adium, like the ability to have an alert when someone comes back from idle, for example.

Apple should change its "lights" for Available, Idle, and Away, especially for AIM. They need to show Idle Away — or if not changing the lights — display the amount of time the user has been idle while away. Like the AIM for Windows client, I'd like iChat to show when the user logged in, and how long they have been online.

Finally with respect to Google Talk, they need to make it so that when you go invisible on iChat with Google Talk, you're actually invisible. This doesn't work & you still show as Available.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

What I don't get is why Apple hasn't created a version of iChat for iOS. A good multiprotocol IM client built into iOS would be awesome; it could even be integrated into the current Messaging application.

But not, they don't seem to care about IM on iPhone and iPad.

I think the problem is with bonjour in general. They aren't prepared to offer bonjour services or afp because that would require opening up the filesystem for filesharing etc. If they open iOS to a built in AIM client, and they don't include bonjour services, then it isn't really iChat.

Adium says they want to start on an app for iOS, but they'll wait until they build a desktop version that doesn't support PowerPC macs, which will be simpler to port directly.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Yahoo Messenger is poorly maintained for Mac, so Y! iChat compatibility is a long-overdue and welcome addition! Now, iChat for iOS 5.0 please!!!
  • Reply 40 of 55
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

Integrate Facetime into iChat---that would turn iChat into a one stop solution for most people's chat needs. And it is simple. Why confuse people with two chat app? Simplicity my friends, simplicity

Agreed! And put an iChat app in iOS.

Apple is ecosystem is really starting to get too unstable over the long haul with all these items appearing and then languishing only to be replaced with something new. They really need to work on being more consistent.