Mac OS X Lion iChat supports Yahoo Messenger video and voice chat

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Why you want FaceTime and iChat merged together?!

There is a difference between the two. iChat requires that you keep the app open to receive IMs, video, and voice call. On the other hand, FaceTime uses push notifications and there is no log in required (beyond the initial setup) and no buddy list to manage. Also FaceTime is not chat service.

It seems that Apple wants to market FaceTime as a device service for Macs and iDevices and they want it to be built into Mac OS like they did with iOS (this is late for Snow Leopard though).

Why not roll them all into one? One app that you can make yourself available offline/online, according to your preferences. Merge your Buddy List and Contacts into one list. If someone has FaceTime, you click the video icon. If not, you start a text chat.

I see no reason why these shouldn't be merged. It totally fails the "what should I tell my mom" test. Well mom, if you want to get ahold of me on my phone, use FaceTime. Well, except if I'm at my computer, cuz actually it'll ring there too. But if you wanna IM me, check to see if I'm signed into AIM. But if it's short, just text me and I'll receive it on my phone.

Apple is renown for its integration, simplicity and parsing of extraneous things. This is an enormous exception to that ethos.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamescoulee View Post

In fact you can associate any of your e-mail addresses to your Facetime account: you don't really have to disclose your Apple ID.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you dislike them knowing your Apple id, but you want these same people to FaceTime you? To be fair if you don't want them to know your Apple id you are hardly going to FaceTime with them. FaceTime is for people you know personally, I think.

You've picked on the weakest point I made in my post but since you did... my wife and I share an AppleID and it's an email address I don't share widely, I use a lot of aliases to reduce spam.

Nice to know other addresses can be used too though - I haven't noticed this function, the app just told me to sign in with my AppleID.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Why not roll them all into one? One app that you can make yourself available offline/online, according to your preferences. Merge your Buddy List and Contacts into one list. If someone has FaceTime, you click the video icon. If not, you start a text chat.

I see no reason why these shouldn't be merged. It totally fails the "what should I tell my mom" test. Well mom, if you want to get ahold of me on my phone, use FaceTime. Well, except if I'm at my computer, cuz actually it'll ring there too. But if you wanna IM me, check to see if I'm signed into AIM. But if it's short, just text me and I'll receive it on my phone.

Apple is renown for its integration, simplicity and parsing of extraneous things. This is an enormous exception to that ethos.

You guys are trying to make sound like a disaster for FaceTime to be a separate app. It is set it and forget it app. You don't have to worry about it after the initial set up. How is that any better or worse that having it inside iChat from a user point of view?! It is not expected that everyone with a Mac uses iChat but I bet there will be more Mac users using FaceTime. Why shove iChat down their throats it they only want to use FaceTime?!

I don't know about you but I keep my iPhone on when I am using my computer. Also, FaceTime won't ring on your phone and Mac at the same time because on your iPhone it is tied to your phone number while on your Mac it is tied to an email account. If someone want to reach me they can decide how. My iPhone is always with me and I can receive IMs, SMS, FaceTime, and voice calls. It is not that complicated.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Quite. I like that iChat shows when I'm available to my contacts (buddies) and then gives the option of text, voice, video and data (file exchange or screen sharing) whichever device I'm signed in on. iChat does that well now on Macs, I'd far rather have seen this on iPhone than FT on Macs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You guys are trying to make sound like a disaster for FaceTime to be a separate app. It is set it and forget it app. You don't have to worry about it after the initial set up. How is that any better or worse that having it inside iChat from a user point of view?! It is not expected that everyone with a Mac uses iChat but I bet there will be more Mac users

So I'm delivering an important presentation to clients on my MBP. I flick my iPhone to vibrate, and iChat to Offline or Busy with two clicks in the menu bar. Then FT rings.

So actually I have to launch the FT application then go to Prefs and switch it off. Then I have to remember to switch it back on afterwards.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    IChat should message with iOS devices out of the box. If I can be sitting at my iMac and open iChat and send a message to the gf or my kiddo which arrives as a text on their iPhone/itouch/iPad....that'd be super useful and push along what apple wants anyway which is to blur the line between computer and phone.

As far as I know, this can't be done....or can it?
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Why is FaceTime a separate app?
  • Reply 47 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

For simplicity and marketing. It makes the idea of FaceTime easy to understand and sell. The average consumer likes that about Apple. Whereas most of us hate it.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleepy Dinosaur View Post

IChat should message with iOS devices out of the box. If I can be sitting at my iMac and open iChat and send a message to the gf or my kiddo which arrives as a text on their iPhone/itouch/iPad....that'd be super useful and push along what apple wants anyway which is to blur the line between computer and phone.

As far as I know, this can't be done....or can it?

Well, you can send emails to cell phones. If you do a search for how do I text <carrier> cell phone you will find the information you need to send the email. Character limits still apply though
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

As another comment already explained, because they're completely different in how they work.

Email, Twitter and IM are also separate apps, even though they all send messages in some way.

FaceTime is a point to point video call on demand service.

iChat AV is a sit online and advertise you're available to chat service.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

What I don't get is why Apple hasn't created a version of iChat for iOS. A good multiprotocol IM client built into iOS would be awesome; it could even be integrated into the current Messaging application.

But not, they don't seem to care about IM on iPhone and iPad.

I think the reason Apple does not include an iChat app for iOS devices is bc I think it would eat away at AT&T & Verizons SMS $$$. Many people would simply use iChat over SMS for other iPhone people.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Sure seems like Yahoo audio video chat is a non-starter on 10.7 iChat...
  • Reply 52 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Sure seems like Yahoo audio video chat is a non-starter on 10.7 iChat...

To be fair, no one cares about Yahoo! anymore, anyway.

And since we've had Microsoft Messenger for Mac (formerly MSN Messenger) support in Jabber forever, iChat's the single best chat aggregator out there.

No, it doesn't support Skype. Skype's a whore, anyway. And Microsoft will either combine Microsoft Messenger's stuff into that and deprecate the old or they'll kill off Skype for their own stuff, so it's a win-win either way.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    I just found a few AppleScripts to give iChat some of the lost Chax features

(like Growl and an Auto-Resizing buddy list).

I you find it may be interesting to you, you can reach them here:

http://tiagodovale.deviantart.com/ar...size-284084652

Cheers
  • Reply 54 of 55
    I do think iChat is a good software, cause i use it everyday.
  • Reply 55 of 55

Good to hear such message , the supporting of  it . But for new http://www.yagoloo.com/ generation the best one is yagoloo  where there will be less od bots.