Last-minute iPad 2 mockup surfaces in China with flat back, larger speaker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Singh2s View Post

I am at the airport flying from Chicago to Detroit and just saw a iPad 2 prototype .. Being used by a couple who owns and trades apple stock (I know coz we talked puts and calls and I know what I am trading next...) for all the fellow apple geeks ... The feeling of being able to see a apple gadget prior to it's world launch is ecstatic !!!*

The iPad two is the same size as before feels and looks about the same size and has a front camera only ( no rare camera, no USB inlet ... No SD card slot ) ...*

Can't tell if the processor is faster but I can tell you that I am getting it !!!*

Oh, I didn't realize Apple was giving out advance hardware to shareholders now.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm still betting on carbon fibre, and at least three colours (black white and grey). Carbon fibre would solve the problem of the original iPad's weight without cutting back on battery (in fact it would allow them to use a bigger battery), and fix the problem of being unable to use it in cold environments as well.

Nope. Carbon fibre [fiber] is not likely. It would not save any weight as it would be thicker than aluminum to offer the same strength. There was already enough room for battery.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I'm a shareholder, and saw a lady using an iPad 2 at the laundromat yesterday.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Looks cheap and made of dollar store toy plastic.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Oh, I didn't realize Apple was giving out advance hardware to shareholders now.

I have to agree with you here. At the risk of sounding too negative, I find it very hard to believe this guy is telling the truth.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Risky business. You know that Apple gives out invalid mockups like candy and then watches for them to hit the net. Great way to plug leaks.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Singh2s View Post

I am at the airport flying from Chicago to Detroit and just saw a iPad 2 prototype .. Being used by a couple who owns and trades apple stock (I know coz we talked puts and calls and I know what I am trading next...) for all the fellow apple geeks ... The feeling of being able to see a apple gadget prior to it's world launch is ecstatic !!!*

The iPad two is the same size as before feels and looks about the same size and has a front camera only ( no rare camera, no USB inlet ... No SD card slot ) ...*

Can't tell if the processor is faster but I can tell you that I am getting it !!!*

Total BS. Good try though.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Nope. Carbon fibre [fiber] is not likely. It would not save any weight as it would be thicker than aluminum to offer the same strength. There was already enough room for battery.

I may be right and I may be wrong, but it's incorrect to say that carbon fibre is the same weight for thickness (or greater as you assert) as aluminium.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Risky business. You know that Apple gives out invalid mockups like candy and then watches for them to hit the net. Great way to plug leaks.

Yeah, because there are a lot of examples of that. I don't think they do. It's very rare anyway.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    I know this is only supposed to be a mockup to it may be nothing but...thats a male connector at the base of the iPad, not a female connector...

Like I say, maybe it's just cause it's a mockup. Still makes me suspicious though. Who cares, it's announced in 33 minutes!!

Oh, and I saw someone using an iPad2 in Gotham City last week...
  • Reply 31 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I may be right and I may be wrong, but it's incorrect to say that carbon fibre is the same weight for thickness (or greater as you assert) as aluminium.

Any, as in effectively impossible to notice without a gram scale. Carbon needs to be a minimum 3-4 millimeters thick before it has useful rigidity. That is why I believe it is an unsuitable material for this application. Aluminum, as demonstrated in the MacBook design can be milled to a fraction of a mm with great precision. That type of super thin engineering is not currently possible with carbon fiber.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    This screams cheap cheap cheap. Very un-Apple like.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    The pics weren't taken in an elevator, so I doubt their authenticity.

Less than 20 minutes to go...
  • Reply 34 of 44
    "Live from Verizon's iPhone event"
  • Reply 35 of 44
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

You win, Sir Nerdlington!

Rumors get old fast when there's an Ipad launch less than a day away.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Looks like one edge is raised up above the other, maybe a piece of cloth placed underneath to avoid damage? its almost time!
  • Reply 37 of 44
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I am betting fake, mainly because of the size of the speaker holes. On the Macbooks, the holes are very small, so small that water would not enter.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    If this truly is the new iPad. I'm a bit disappointed. The sharp edge is going to prove to be too much to hold for long periods of time. I was hoping they'd go for the look of the 3gs iPhone. To me, that's the last comfortable iP*d device Apple has produced. It may work on the iPod Touch because it fits in your palm, but to have to hold this thing with two hands and have the sharp edges dig into your palm for hours upon end, especially on a plane...back to the drawing board Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Uses a piece of Steve Jobs liver in it's battery chemistry.

How tactful of you.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    I certainly hope that's not the real thing. It's so ugly imo.

I like the thinness, but the tapered back is terrible. The design just don't look like an Apple product. It looks like a Chinese knockoffs.