Apple releases iTunes 10.2 for compatibility with iOS 4.3 devices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday issued iTunes 10.2, bringing the ability to sync with devices running iOS 4.3 ahead of the operating system update's release, and also adding new Home Sharing features for iOS 4.3.

iTunes 10.2 is now available for Mac OS X (75.61MB), Windows 32-bit (76.72MB) or Windows 64-bit (77.61MB). With it, users will be able to sync their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 4.3 when it is released next Friday.

The update to the media suite also offers improved Home Sharing, allowing users to browse and play from their iTunes library with any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 4.3

Apple on Wednesday highlighted some of the features of iOS 4.3 before its release, including the improved Home Sharing, which will allow users to access all of their remotely stored iTunes content directly over Wi-Fi.

In addition to new features, iTunes 10.2 also includes a number of security fixes related to ImageIO, libxml and WebKit. The security fixes for iTunes 10.2 apply to machines running Windows 7, Vista, and XP Service Pack 2 or later.

The last update for iTunes was version 10.1.2, released in late January. It included support for the CDMA-based Verizon iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The update was 32 megabytes for me.

Cue the "WHY ISN'T ITUNES 64-BIT AND COCOA YET?!" arguments.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Is it just me or did they put back color icons in the preferences? Or were they always color in version 10?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I've all but given up on this bloated cow and am now looking at other solutions such as VLC for my music and video library needs.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Is it just me or did they put back color icons in the preferences? Or were they always color in version 10?

Just came back here to post that. Hooray!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Clearly iTunes could use a MAJOR upgrade (11.x) on OS X as already noted.

In addition, when I sat down at my Mac to get the upgrade I wondered why it wasn't available in the Mac App Store yet. Guess I'm already getting trained to look for stuff there.

Also, as I read the article above the improvements to "Home Sharing" something in those words jumped out at me, both the improvements, and the fact that it is called "Home Sharing". I'm sure its a bit of wishful thinking on my part, but some of these improvements could lay the foundation for "Cloud Sharing" of your iTunes content to your devices. Do you have to be on the same WiFi network to share the content (probably)?

Just a thought.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    The bug preventing backup to disk is still in 10.2. Sure would be nice if they would fix that.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Any idea, why iTunes isn't able to cache album art? The browsing experience is no fun at all having to wait for the covers to load whenever I try to use e.g. the grip view.

This has been nagging me for years. What's so hard about providing a caching option?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    I hope iTunes 11:

1. employs Ping and the Genius as optional plugins

2. is finally a 64-bit cocoa app (if this will help the lag issues - my library is about 8000 songs, no videos and it takes about a minute at startup before it's responsive, and experiences frequent slowdowns when browsing. If Cocoa won't help that, then it doesn't really matter i guess)

3. supports FLAC

4. is no longer a laggy 150MB spreadsheet

5. arrives very soon!!!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    On the iOS platform, we can play a movie and let the audio play over external speakers. Any of you think we can expect this for playing movies in iTunes on the mac as well? I was happy to hear talk about enhancements to airplay in the keynote this week, but so far all updates seems to be exclusive to iOS devices.

I'm currently using third party software for this (airfoil). It works, but it's a little clumsy, and I'd love to be able to do this natively without the extra hassle.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echolalian View Post

On the iOS platform, we can play a movie and let the audio play over external speakers. Any of you think we can expect this for playing movies in iTunes on the mac as well? I was happy to hear talk about enhancements to airplay in the keynote this week, but so far all updates seems to be exclusive to iOS devices.

I'm currently using third party software for this (airfoil). It works, but it's a little clumsy, and I'd love to be able to do this natively without the extra hassle.

I think apple wants you to buy an airport express. It has audio out. Airport extreme base station doesn't, though. Just buy both of them. Or use a cable. Preferably a $40 one you buy from apple.com.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I hope iTunes 11:

2. is finally a 64-bit cocoa app (if this will help the lag issues - my library is about 8000 songs, no videos and it takes about a minute at startup before it's responsive, and experiences frequent slowdowns when browsing. If Cocoa won't help that, then it doesn't really matter i guess)

3. supports FLAC

5. arrives very soon!!!

6. Doesn't have a giant bar across the top of the Books section that says "Songs".
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

I hope iTunes 11:

They already are. You can turn them both off completely in preferences, and collapse the sidebar so that you never see it again. What more do you want?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

6. Doesn't have a giant bar across the top of the Books section that says "Songs".

I'm not seeing that. Elaborate?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm not seeing that. Elaborate?

I don't really know what's up with it, either. It's not part of the Grid View header; it's just there all the time.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

They already are. You can turn them both off completely in preferences, and collapse the sidebar so that you never see it again. What more do you want?

There's a big difference between getting something you don't want and having to send it back, and never getting it unless you ask for it. Anyways, it's a personal list, and I am really not a fan of either of them. Irritates me that they are like benign tumors sitting on my hard drive, just waiting for me to delete my iTunes preferences...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

???

I've got 20,000+ songs and my iTunes Library file is only 35MB. It would be nice if you don't hyperbolize. And if it's not a spreadsheet, how do you suggest it be organized?

I've got a Mac that's not fast by any measurement, and my iTunes absolutely never lags. Used to a little, with itunes 9 and 8, but iTunes 10 is much better.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

???

I've got 20,000+ songs and my iTunes Library file is only 35MB. It would be nice if you don't hyperbolize. And if it's not a spreadsheet, how do you suggest it be organized?

I've got a Mac that's not fast by any measurement, and my iTunes absolutely never lags. Used to a little, with itunes 9 and 8, but iTunes 10 is much better.

I wasn't talking about my Library file, I was talking about iTunes. And I do find it laggy.

iTunes the program itself is 156MB (at least on my computer) - not including album art or the iTunes library, and it's basically a spreadsheet linked to Quicktime with the iTunes store, Genius and Ping strapped to it.

By comparison, Microsoft Excel 2011 is less than 50MB and Quicktime is about 30MB. Just a little food for thought.

Anyways, I'm no design genius, but I truly believe iTunes is a turd.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't really know what's up with it, either. It's not part of the Grid View header; it's just there all the time.

I don't see that on mine. Seriously. I've tried every view. Maybe you should try reinstalling?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

I wasn't talking about my Library file, I was talking about iTunes. And I do find it laggy.

iTunes the program itself is 156MB (at least on my computer) - not including album art or the iTunes library, and it's basically a spreadsheet linked to Quicktime with the iTunes store, Genius and Ping strapped to it.

By comparison, Microsoft Excel 2011 is less than 50MB and Quicktime is about 30MB. Just a little food for thought.

Anyways, I'm no design genius, but I truly believe iTunes is a turd.

If you mean the application (in my mind, "spreadsheet" refers to the database file, not the application), then you do know you can just delete all the languages you don't use, right? And it cuts the application size into less than half?

Just because an application is huge, it doesn't mean the code that actually runs is inefficient.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

iTunes is already not a spreadsheet. It's a database. Sorry to be all technical, but a spreadsheet and a database really are two very different things.

As to the lagginess, I suspect it's because iTunes uses plists to store its data. With a plist, you have to rewrite the entire file back to disk every time you make a change to it, such as when the play count is incremented. And you know that iTunes database file can get pretty big.

I'm really hoping iTunes will be updated to use CoreData (Apple's framework for interacting with SQLite) to store its records. That way when you increment the play count, you only have to update that one record.