Digest the brand-new "Star Trek: Nemesis " trailer. Provide opinions.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    It was like a Homer(ic?) Epic- starts off in the middle of the action and goes from there. Only about a 2000+ year old plot device. But who actually reads Homer?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    ShawnPatrickJoyce,

You're thinking of in medias res and First Contact is NOT that at all. In medias res is where you're dropped in the middle of the story and are then told the preceding events that led up to where you started. FC just gets off to a rushed start; that's all.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    No, lol, that's really how Homer's stories were like. They started in the middle of the action and went from there without explaining what happened before.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    I've read the Nemesis script, and I can say that both the teaser trailer and full trailer are quite good. I do think that both trailers give a LOT away, but there are so many major plot points with major characters that it would be hard to create a decent trailer to get people into the theater without showing some of it.

I think many Trek fans will be surprised about the finality of some major character plot points, even though the ending leaves everything somewhat open for another.

One spoiler, the movie opens with the marriage of Troi and Riker, which is quite enjoyable and funny. The scene on the planet with the Jeep reads perfectly and should be great entertainment. And the character of Shinzon could be just as good as Khan.

Data's storyline is risky and surprising. I know most people think that is Lore in the trailer, but it isn't. Good stuff.

Anyway, you're probably already annoyed with my analysis by now. I can't wait to see it!!

--------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 25 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>No, lol, that's really how Homer's stories were like.</strong><hr></blockquote>I'm not sure what other stories by Homer you are referring to, but both The Iliad and The Odyssey were told in media res.

But enough of this off-topic banter. Want to argue about poetry? Take it to AO or FC.

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 26
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Trek is dead, has been for at least 3 years and the morons at Paramount still haven't worked out that their wonderful cash-cow won't actually support their continued efforts to keep it going: with Enterprise they've been busily stamping on the entire fan-based culture that brought it back from cancellation the first time around.

The minute Voyager started recycling original TV series plots was when I got suspicious, and it went badly downhill from there...

A real shame: at its height, Star Trek was the best science fiction on TV, and a great many of the folks who work (or have worked) on it are really great people.

Oh well...