Best Buy rumored to give Apple's iPad to all its sales associates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    eberghebergh Posts: 27member
    Regardless of why or how Best Buy puts iPads into the hands of their employees, it has got to have a positive impact on their ability to answer questions and sell the iPad. Even if they are just being sent out onto the floor with one to do inventory for an hour or two a day, they will learn how easy it is to use and will be able to share that knowledge with customers. Gotta be a plus.

Gotta be better than what's happening over at Walmart... we have gone into three different stores so far... in each one the iPad "display" has amounted to one iPad on a shelf in a small locked glass case with no advertising material, placed there haphazardly, with bits of packing material on other shelves, looking like it was something that had been forgotten when the cabinet was being cleaned out. No one around to answer questions either. If you didn't know what it was, you would have no clue looking at it sitting there. I can't believe those stores were moving very many! Why is Apple wasting time with them? Surely some other retailer could do better. It reflects badly upon Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

This doesn't surprise me. The typical teenager who works in the computer department at Best Buy is an enthusiast gamer, living with his parents, who spends all his money on the latest insane glowy tower computer to heat his bedroom and play Crysis. He doesn't care for Apple products, nor can he afford one after buying his insane gaming rig.

Thankfully they tend recover from this illness given enough time.

And then they get on this site and spout off on how great their androids are and how easy they are to customize.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    One more small nail in Android's coffin.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

This doesn't surprise me. The typical teenager who works in the computer department at Best Buy is an enthusiast gamer, living with his parents, who spends all his money on the latest insane glowy tower computer to heat his bedroom and play Crysis. He doesn't care for Apple products, nor can he afford one after buying his insane gaming rig.

Thankfully they tend recover from this illness given enough time.

Hey now, I like my glowing space heater. >:[ lol

Trust me, if we're going by this argument, I wouldn't let people buy anything in our store either because everything's cheaper on newegg and we never carry enough hardware to actually build anything interesting; software's available on Steam, usually cheaper; and you can find better gaming mice and keyboards online as well.

However, since I like my job, selling a pricey Apple desktop is a job well done.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    I would think the iPad would be well linked to BB's product sales and the cash register, credit cards etc.

What a splendid way to advertise the usability in the commercial world. I doubt it would be first generation iPad they get. Apple would prob give a good discount.

Remember thinking Applefans!

1. Answering an envyboy only encourages response.

2. Ignore and it gets bored.

3. Envy is their torment.

Just smile every time you see their rant 'n spiel or give a good ol' Nelson ha ha.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    hlfnlsnhlfnlsn Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

This would be ironic - seeing as how every time I've gone into a Best Buy looking for Apple product or software I get the "we don't carry it, Macs are lame, you should get a PC with Windows 7" shtick.

Multiple states and cities - same attitude.

I am sorry you have had that kind of experience. When I approach my customers every one is asked whether or not they have considered a Mac. I had one couple that called me over, and while pointing to a $350 compaq that was on sale, said "we would like to get this computer, do you have any more in stock?" About an hour or so after I asked them what they were going to be using their computer for, they were walking out of the store with a brand new $1200 iMac. Another couple I approached while roaming the PC area, put their hand up the moment I mentioned Mac and said that their son was a high level Micro$oft executive so they were committed to a PC. Those people left with 15" MacBook Pro. The vast majority of my fellow coworkers in blue, use and recommend Macs whenever possible, at least at the store I work at. As much as I would enjoy working directly for Apple, I do like the opportunity I have to take customers who have never even entertained the idea of considering Apple as an option. I would say that about 75% of the Macs I sell are to people that came in strictly looking for a PC.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheenzone View Post

i "know somebody" that works in one of the connected store pilots. The ipads were not "given" to all sales associates-- about 15-20 ipads were available to be signed out by employees at the beginning of their shifts. The iPads had access to inventory lists to check availability as well as the bby.com website to check prices. Additionally, some associates used the iPads for logging calls throughout the day. Mostly they were used for facebook to make employees look busy.

Best Buy most definitely will not be giving iPads to all of their sales associates. In newer Best Buy stores--the ones that receive a full Connected Store layout--employee will most likely have access to a handful of iPads to distribute throughout the day. Sorry to any Best Buy employees reading this and hoping to receive a free iPad.. simply not the case.

This seems like the post everyone should be paying attention to.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted