Best Buy rumored to give Apple's iPad to all its sales associates

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new report claims that big-box electronics retailer Best Buy may be preparing to hand out iPads to each of the on-floor sales associates in its 1,100 US stores.

"A source with knowledge of corporate mobile device deployments" has told Forbes that one of the 10 largest retailers in the U.S. will soon distribute iPads to all its sales staff. The source noted that the retailer in question operates 1,100 U.S. stores, making Best Buy, which had 1093 U.S. stores as of September 2010, the most likely candidate.

The report also notes that Best Buy is a natural match because of its existing relationship with Apple. When the original iPad was released last year, Best Buy was one of Apple's few launch day retail partners. Best Buy has already begun advertising the recently announced iPad 2, which goes on sale on March 11.

Best Buy's rumored widespread rollout of the iPad to its employees could come as part of the company's Connected Store initiative. The retailer launched a pilot program in 27 stores last year that gave several mobile devices, such as iPads, iPod touches and Samsung Galaxy Tabs, to sales associates for the purpose of educating consumers and processing purchases. According to the report, Best Buy has acknowledged that the Connected Store pilot could be expanded in the future.

As of 2010, Best Buy had 180,000 employees, but it's not immediately clear what percentage of those serve as on-floor sales staff and would be eligible for an iPad.

One possible explanation for the rumor could be that Best Buy is preparing an iPad-based point-of-sale and inventory management system. Apple currently uses an iPod touch-based EasyPay checkout system in its retail stores. In December of last year, AppleInsider reported that other retailers have been looking into implementing POS systems on the iPad and iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Another possibility is they are clearing out their inventory of original iPads.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    But they ran out of inventory before Apple's iPad 2 announcement and even removed the part number from their sales database a week before. Apple's resellers probably don't carry more than a 30-day supply meaning they probably received their last shipment about 45 days ago which would be in line with a 60-day manufacturing ramp for the iPad 2.

Most likely, Best Buy will deploy the Connected Store initiative on the iPad 2. After all, that's what they will be selling. Rather than reply to a curious customer who asks if they can buy one, "Well this is actually the old model..." it is preferable to say, "Sure. How many and what size?"
  • Reply 3 of 28
    i "know somebody" that works in one of the connected store pilots. The ipads were not "given" to all sales associates-- about 15-20 ipads were available to be signed out by employees at the beginning of their shifts. The iPads had access to inventory lists to check availability as well as the bby.com website to check prices. Additionally, some associates used the iPads for logging calls throughout the day. Mostly they were used for facebook to make employees look busy.

Best Buy most definitely will not be giving iPads to all of their sales associates. In newer Best Buy stores--the ones that receive a full Connected Store layout--employee will most likely have access to a handful of iPads to distribute throughout the day. Sorry to any Best Buy employees reading this and hoping to receive a free iPad.. simply not the case.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    rcarltonrcarlton Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims that big-box electronics retailer Best Buy may be preparing to hand out iPads to each of the on-floor sales associates in its 1,100 US stores.

This would be ironic - seeing as how every time I've gone into a Best Buy looking for Apple product or software I get the "we don't carry it, Macs are lame, you should get a PC with Windows 7" shtick.

Multiple states and cities - same attitude.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

This would be ironic - seeing as how every time I've gone into a Best Buy looking for Apple product or software I get the "we don't carry it, Macs are lame, you should get a PC with Windows 7" shtick.

This doesn't surprise me. The typical teenager who works in the computer department at Best Buy is an enthusiast gamer, living with his parents, who spends all his money on the latest insane glowy tower computer to heat his bedroom and play Crysis. He doesn't care for Apple products, nor can he afford one after buying his insane gaming rig.

Thankfully they tend recover from this illness given enough time.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

But they ran out of inventory before Apple's iPad 2 announcement and even removed the part number from their sales database a week before. Apple's resellers probably don't carry more than a 30-day supply meaning they probably received their last shipment about 45 days ago which would be in line with a 60-day manufacturing ramp for the iPad 2.

Most likely, Best Buy will deploy the Connected Store initiative on the iPad 2. After all, that's what they will be selling. Rather than reply to a curious customer who asks if they can buy one, "Well this is actually the old model..." it is preferable to say, "Sure. How many and what size?"

where did you get all that from?

Let me guess someone posted claiming that? Many of my local stores in the bay area have almost every version of the 1st gen. You can still find the item on their website. Now obviously they won't get any more once they sell what they have left but they are still being sold and likely be sold unless best buy decides to use for other purposes.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

I'll confirm that. I'm going to see what happens come the 11th at my local BB but I probably ought to just shop the online Apple Store. Unfortunately I'm in a area where there are no retail Apple Stores for hours around.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Best Buy makes a lot of sense. When you go to a Best Buy store, and ask pretty much any question they run around the corner and use a PC to look up the answer using a web browser. It would be a lot easier to use a camera and look up the answer on the spot.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

where did you get all that from?

Let me guess someone posted claiming that? Many of my local stores in the bay area have almost every version of the 1st gen. You can still find the item on their website. Now obviously they won't get any more once they sell what they have left but they are still being sold and likely be sold unless best buy decides to use for other purposes.

Well, right here.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nch_looms.html

If the information is wrong, bring it up with the people who run this site.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    recrec Posts: 217member
    So assume average 20 salespeople per store.

1100 stores * 20 per store * $500 average price per iPad = $11 mill cost (tops) to Apple.

Probably some of the best $11 mill they could spend evangelizing the product.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:

What year are you posting from? I have been regularly shopping at 5 BB stores in the Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex for the last 6 years and have NEVER heard that once. Many have a big Apple store-in-a-store visible directly upon entry into the store.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Yes and no.

The Best Buy sales staff is legendary for its uselessness. I don't see even the iPad helping them.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Yes and no.

The Best Buy sales staff is legendary for its uselessness. I don't see even the iPad helping them.

I agree with you and the previous posters who said that this may be just a "while you are on the clock" type of thing. Perhaps they will be able to do price lookups (with the camera?) and so forth (in addition to best buy website look ups).
  • Reply 14 of 28
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

1100 stores * 20 per store * $500 average price per iPad = $11 mill cost (tops) to Apple.

What makes you think Apple is going to give those to Best Buy for free? I doubt that very much. Back in the early days of Apple, publishers and developers were able to purchase Apple computers for half of list price and they frequently seeded equipment for free (they once sent me a free Mac and Laser Printer), but now the discounts are very minimal - equivalent to the educational discount.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I agree, the teenage sales associates at Best Buy are pretty much worthless. I also doubt an Apple iPad would help them at all.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Nope. Other articles on the subject have had replies by actual staff who say that thet are not being given iPads for personal use, but rather as info connections so they can stick by the product and still check stock, request items from the back etc
  • Reply 17 of 28
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Cheap advertising......

"What is that you are using to look up my new TV?"
  • Reply 18 of 28
    rcarltonrcarlton Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

What year are you posting from? I have been regularly shopping at 5 BB stores in the Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex for the last 6 years and have NEVER heard that once. Many have a big Apple store-in-a-store visible directly upon entry into the store.

That's great for you - could be that the district manager in the Metroplex sets the tone for the stores in their area. But - just because you have a Christmas morning experience every time you walk into a DFW Best Buy doesn't mean at all that your experience is representative of everyone else's.

And, just because there may be a store-within-a-store at a location doesn't mean at all the store staff is remotely interested in dealing with it.

The BestBuys that I have tried buying Apple product in (usually while on business trips) - after which I finally gave up.

San Francisco (both Geary & Harrison)

Austin - South Lamar

Bastrop

Las Vegas (Maryland Parkway)
  • Reply 19 of 28
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Perhaps they're being assigned iPads to help look up inventory or quick checkouts? Just a guess.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Likely, seeing why salespersons need to have two cameras for work-related iPad plus, cheaper to use the old ones like you said, can be use to clear their inventory as well. They could also have some sort of preferential deal from Apple on the refurb stocks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

I agree, the teenage sales associates at Best Buy are pretty much worthless. I also doubt an Apple iPad would help them at all.

Correction, their use of iPad is exactly to eliminate that providing management load up all the info on their iPad in the first place (and them knowing how to use one )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Perhaps they're being assigned iPads to help look up inventory or quick checkouts? Just a guess.

Nobody said it is for personal use. Definitely work related and will be handed in at the end of store business hours just like others. Inventory checking, description, form filling and check-outs.