Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 109
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post


    They could make MobileMe free and use iAds as a way to monetize MobileMe the way Google & MS use ads to monetize their web services. Nothing wrong with that.



    Nothing wrong with that if you like watching ads.



    I don't think I'm alone in saying I would rather keep paying if this is the case.
  • Reply 62 of 109
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
    1. Different sounds from texts from different people




    As of iOS 4.2, it already does this!



    Go into contacts, edit a contact and select their text tone. Voila!
  • Reply 63 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    Its already happening, though not the same way it happens with android. Androids have devices that come out tomorrow that wont get the update that came out last week or the one that will come out next month. They get the one that comes out in two months that is approved by the carrier and has the little configurations put in by the manufacture.



    This exact thing has happened with each new iPhone release since the 3GS cam out.



    iPhone 2G is stuck at 3.1.3

    iPhone 3G is stuck at 4.2.1

    iPhone 3Gs WILL stop at 4.3.0-X

    I am willing to bet the iPhone 4 will stop at iOS 5.x right when 6.x is coming out, we will have this whole conversation again.



    They kill off two year old products. Just watch wait and see.



    Two years is a eons compared to the rest of the smartphone industry. But not that you don?t have clue about 2 years, you only know that the iPhone 3G is no longer getting updates, something it was having issues with on some units from the start of iOS 4.0. Some will try to say it was a conspiracy, but then why even update it at all? Oh yeah, to make your phone run so slowly that you have to buy an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post


    As of iOS 4.2, it already does this!



    Go into contacts, edit a contact and select their text tone. Voila!



    I am behind the times... Thanks!
  • Reply 65 of 109
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'd like to see user profiles implemented. Ultimately it could be defaulted to "off" in preferences so that it could only be set up as desired. It may not make the most sense on a phone or ipod, but an iPad is often shared and allowing different users to set up certain things would be nice. It would make sharing an iPad a much more pleasant experience for families.
  • Reply 66 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post


    You expect Apple to stand still? They do not cut old phones out unless they can't keep up with the new OS features. Since Apple recently came out with one of the most performance-demanding OS-wide features (multitasking) and since the iPhone 4 is a real powerhouse, I wouldn't be surprised if they supported it up to iOS 7.x



    Having no idea of how the 3GS behaves under 4.3.x, I can't state if it will or not make the jump, but unless they add something that will require more processing across the entire OS (new notifications may OR NOT do that) which would make iOS 5.0 unacceptable on the 3GS, I doubt Apple will kill it.



    In fact, I think Apple might have purposefully left multitasking out of 3.0 to avoid making the 3G instantly obsolete when the 3GS came out.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    Two years is a eons compared to the rest of the smartphone industry. But not that you don’t have clue about 2 years, you only know that the iPhone 3G is no longer getting updates, something it was having issues with on some units from the start of iOS 4.0. Some will try to say it was a conspiracy, but then why even update it at all? Oh yeah, to make your phone run so slowly that you have to buy an iPhone 4.







    I don't expect them to stand still. I was explaining to someone else that Apple likes to make stuff "obsolete" to push new product.



    My point is made here: iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G had exactly the same hardware except the 3G radio. There is no reason the iPhone 2G could not have had iOS 4 except for the reason Apple wanted to push people to the new phone.



    This will continue with iOS 5.0 for the 3Gs, it wont happen.



    UNLESS:



    Apple feels the need to help out all those users who just bought all thos $49 3Gs in the past few months, but I doubt that will happen.
  • Reply 67 of 109
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    At night there is really minimal electrical grid demand. Leaving the computer on 24/7 is less wear and tear on the machine than shutting down and rebooting all the time so your computer will last longer. As others have said, in the sleep mode it is not consuming very much at all. Do you unplug your alarm clock when you are not using it? It is probably using more energy than a sleeping notebook.



    Leaving your computer on 24/7 is NOT less wear and tear than shutting it down!



    Most computer components (including hard drives and fans, the only things in your computer to get wear and tear) are rated in hours between mean rate of failure. The act of starting up and shutting down (which is is designed to do) is so minimal that if you (technically) want to get the maximum number of years out of your computer you definitely want to shut it down at night.



    Think about a light bulb that's rated for 2000 hours; a light bulb left 'on' 24/7 will have far fewer useful days than a bulb that's turned on for only 3 or 4 hours in the evening. In other words, you can count on needing to replace it in 3 or 4 months versus about a year and a half if it's on for just 4 hours a day.
  • Reply 68 of 109
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post


    As of iOS 4.2, it already does this!



    Go into contacts, edit a contact and select their text tone. Voila!



    Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about that.
  • Reply 69 of 109
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    This exact thing has happened with each new iPhone release since the 3GS cam out.



    iPhone 2G is stuck at 3.1.3

    iPhone 3G is stuck at 4.2.1

    iPhone 3Gs WILL stop at 4.3.0-X

    I am willing to bet the iPhone 4 will stop at iOS 5.x right when 6.x is coming out, we will have this whole conversation again.



    They kill off two year old products. Just watch wait and see.



    "Kill off"? Do they suddenly stop working?



    As someone who still has a 3GS, I think it's an unreasonable expectation that 2+ year old hardware will run everything in iOS 5 or that Apple should continue to include updates for old hardware 2 years down the track.



    Considering that my old Nokia phones would be falling apart by now (20 months after purchase), and that 3GS' will keep running perfectly well on 4.2 (and 4.3, presumably, and possibly 5.0), I don't see that there's much to complain about.
  • Reply 70 of 109
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    I don't expect them to stand still. I was explaining to someone else that Apple likes to make stuff "obsolete" to push new product.



    Erm, perhaps because a 2+ year old electronic device is in fact obsolete? In July there will already be 2 newer models than the 3GS.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    I don't expect them to stand still. I was explaining to someone else that Apple likes to make stuff "obsolete" to push new product.



    My point is made here: iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G had exactly the same hardware except the 3G radio. There is no reason the iPhone 2G could not have had iOS 4 except for the reason Apple wanted to push people to the new phone.



    This will continue with iOS 5.0 for the 3Gs, it wont happen.



    UNLESS:



    Apple feels the need to help out all those users who just bought all thos $49 3Gs in the past few months, but I doubt that will happen.



    But it's patently false. Apple has the longest update cycle for mobile devices. There is even plenty of anecdotal evidence that shows Macs last longer running at usable speeds mih longer than from vendors selling Windows PCs.



    For your comments to be correct you'd hav to how some proof that Apple is purposely hobbling each and every device or wells after a given timeframe. But you can't because that just isn't good business. In fact, the only reason Apple can offer iPhone updates longer than Android is due to their small product numbers which make it considerably cheaper for them to offer a 2-3 year update cycle.
  • Reply 72 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    Two years is a eons compared to the rest of the smartphone industry. But not that you don?t have clue about 2 years, you only know that the iPhone 3G is no longer getting updates, something it was having issues with on some units from the start of iOS 4.0. Some will try to say it was a conspiracy, but then why even update it at all? Oh yeah, to make your phone run so slowly that you have to buy an iPhone 4.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    But it's patently false. Apple has the longest update cycle for mobile devices. There is even plenty of anecdotal evidence that shows Macs last longer running at usable speeds mih longer than from vendors selling Windows PCs.



    For your comments to be correct you'd hav to how some proof that Apple is purposely hobbling each and every device or wells after a given timeframe. But you can't because that just isn't good business. In fact, the only reason Apple can offer iPhone updates longer than Android is due to their small product numbers which make it considerably cheaper for them to offer a 2-3 year update cycle.



    I don't have a problem with them NOT updating old devices.



    Apple is NOT "KILLING THEM OFF" or "HOBBLING", they are just flat out NOT updating old devices.
  • Reply 73 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post


    So will the iP4 sell for $49 come June?



    I think it will start at $100, maybe hit $49 just after Christmas.
  • Reply 74 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    Erm, perhaps because a 2+ year old electronic device is in fact obsolete? In July there will already be 2 newer models than the 3GS.



    Thats a good point.



    Im on a two year cycle myself. I had a 3G and now have a 4. I'll get a 5 because my wife wants my 4.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    Its already happening, though not the same way it happens with android. Androids have devices that come out tomorrow that wont get the update that came out last week or the one that will come out next month. They get the one that comes out in two months that is approved by the carrier and has the little configurations put in by the manufacture.







    This exact thing has happened with each new iPhone release since the 3GS cam out.



    iPhone 2G is stuck at 3.1.3

    iPhone 3G is stuck at 4.2.1

    iPhone 3Gs WILL stop at 4.3.0-X

    I am willing to bet the iPhone 4 will stop at iOS 5.x right when 6.x is coming out, we will have this whole conversation again.



    They kill off two year old products. Just watch wait and see.



    The 3GS can handle what an IP 4 can handle, more or less. Apple are going to have a cheap phone this year - why not the 3GS.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    Erm, perhaps because a 2+ year old electronic device is in fact obsolete? In July there will already be 2 newer models than the 3GS.



    Since its not much slower than the iPhone 4 it can't be hobbled. The 3G was the same as the 1G except for the radio.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post


    FRAGMENTATION! Tens of millions of iOS devices that cant update to the latest OS, my gosh it sounds a lot like ANDROID!



    It'd be better if the new OS ran molasses-slow on the older hardware?



    Anyway I guarantee older hardware will NOT brick itself because it doesn't run the latest OS. I'd actually be surprised if iOS supports hardware back as far as rumored.
  • Reply 78 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    My guess



    1) notifications

    2) swipe to change apps ( as in fullscreen Lion)

    3) some kind of mission control

    4) widgets.

    5) integration with the cloud. If you own a song you can play it over Apple's servers. Upload the song ( or rather a checksum) and then play it from Apple. This does not violate fair use.



    6) lots more. Except for 5) that stuff is easy.
  • Reply 79 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    The 3GS can handle what an IP 4 can handle, more or less. Apple are going to have a cheap phone this year - why not the 3GS.



    I wish it were as simple as that. The past tells us otherwise and the 3Gs should become obsolete when the iPhone 5 hits the shelves.



    A good way of looking at this is with their Apple Care product. It only extends the warranty an extra year.



    The Models section makes it really easy to see what will happen next too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
  • Reply 80 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post


    It'd be better if the new OS ran molasses-slow on the older hardware?



    Anyway I guarantee older hardware will NOT brick itself because it doesn't run the latest OS. I'd actually be surprised if iOS supports hardware back as far as rumored.



    Look. Let's actually deal with the evidence. The 1G and the 3G ran at the sane speed. The 3GS was a speed update. Hence the S. The iPhone 4 was about different form factors and screen. Speed was not it's selling point.



    If iOS 5 runs on the iPhone 4 it runs on the 3GS.



    In fact a 3GS can be their cheap phone going forward.
Sign In or Register to comment.