Apple rumored to unveil iOS 5, new MobileMe at media event in early April

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 109
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    I wish it were as simple as that. The past tells us otherwise and the 3Gs should become obsolete when the iPhone 5 hits the shelves.



    A good way of looking at this is with their Apple Care product. It only extends the warranty an extra year.



    Look mate. Let me be clear. If iOS can run on the iPhone 4 it can run on the 3Gs. and last year iOS 4 ran on the 3G. So you don't even have the past on your side, not that past behaviour is any predictor if future behaviour.
  • Reply 82 of 109
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I find it annoying because it very often starts dialing the wrong person. My old dumb Moto phone had pretty decent voice recognition and as I recall it would say back something like "calling Bob. Is this correct?" and waited for a yes.



    I have several numbers for my wife and it asks which one I want--very helpful.
  • Reply 83 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Look mate. Let me be clear. If iOS can run on the iPhone 4 it can run on the 3Gs. and last year iOS 4 ran on the 3G. So you don't even have the past on your side, not that past behaviour is any predictor if future behaviour.



    I agree with you, I just don't think it will happen that way. I believe 4.3 would run on THE ORIGINAL iPhone just fine. But Apple has billions in the bank for a reason, mostly because they MOVE ON to the latest greatest and don't look back.
  • Reply 84 of 109
    xamianxamian Posts: 37member
    I think there could be hope for the notifications system in iOS considering that last year Rich Dellinger left Palm to become Apple's Senior User Interface Designer. I'm currently a WebOS phone user, and would love to see a similar notifications system come to the iPhone by the time my contract is up. Of all smartphone OSes, WebOS has some of the most intuitive implementations I've come across - not only with notifications, but their Synergy system for contacts (dynamically adding them from my Gmail, facebook & other sources).
  • Reply 85 of 109
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    I agree with you, I just don't think it will happen that way. I believe 4.3 would run on THE ORIGINAL iPhone just fine. But Apple has billions in the bank for a reason, mostly because they MOVE ON to the latest greatest and don't look back.



    Yeah, but the original iPhone was also obsolete for being EDGE-only, so for the end user it would seem more acceptable for Apple to push them to a better radio that would give everyone at least some advantage, than to kill of 5.0 support for the 3GS... which would make no sense at all.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    sennensennen Posts: 1,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Look. Let's actually deal with the evidence. The 1G and the 3G ran at the sane speed. The 3GS was a speed update. Hence the S. The iPhone 4 was about different form factors and screen. Speed was not it's selling point.



    The evidence is that the iPhone 4 had a bump in both processor speed and RAM. "Selling point" does not necessarily have any relevance to what iOS the thing will run well and features it will be able to support.
  • Reply 87 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    I have several numbers for my wife and it asks which one I want--very helpful.



    I have a similar situation. I guess I should learn to be vague and let it ask for clarification. I might say call Cheri "work" and it mostly gets it right but sometimes it just responds with 'calling Ted' which I can't understand because even if I was drunk, the word Cheri sounds nothing like Ted. I say play Led Zeppelin - playing Steely Dan. Not even close. It may have something to do with background noise because if you launch VC and start typing the noise from the keyboard prompts the VC app to try to analyze the sound of the keys and keeps responding with nonsense like 'the time is 4:54 PM' or 'Nothing is playing'. It should at least be smart enough to understand that typing is not a voice command.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post


    Yeah, but the original iPhone was also obsolete for being EDGE-only, so for the end user it would seem more acceptable for Apple to push them to a better radio that would give everyone at least some advantage, than to kill of 5.0 support for the 3GS... which would make no sense at all.



    I think your hopes are too high.



    Why would apple support the 3Gs when there is a shiny new iPhone 5 out for people to buy?



    I KNOW iOS 5, 6 and maybe even 7 will be able to run on the 3Gs but will they? nah.





    Heres a thought, what is iOS 5.0 REQUIRES an A4 CPU or higher???? What then?



    it would sorta be like killing of the Power PC all over again!
  • Reply 89 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post


    Leaving your computer on 24/7 is NOT less wear and tear than shutting it down!



    Most computer components (including hard drives and fans, the only things in your computer to get wear and tear) are rated in hours between mean rate of failure. The act of starting up and shutting down (which is is designed to do) is so minimal that if you (technically) want to get the maximum number of years out of your computer you definitely want to shut it down at night.



    I disagree but not but not worth arguing over since Mac hardware outlasts their ability upgrade the OS anyway.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post


    Every time there's an Apple event, they say Apple's going to unveil the new MobileMe.



    I'll believe it when I see it.



    Mobile Me is the new Beatles announcement.
  • Reply 91 of 109
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post


    This is the tip of the month for me. Cool!



    It is a great tip. I didn't know you could hold your finger down on a symbol and return swiftly to the regular keyboard.



    But it's not enough. There is plenty of GUI room for the commonly used symbols to not have to toggle in the first place.



    And like someone else said, you should be able to customize your keyboard for what you're trying to accomplish. Programming, writing a novel, chatting, etc, all could be customized to increase efficiency.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,581member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post


    This exact thing has happened with each new iPhone release since the 3GS cam out.



    iPhone 2G is stuck at 3.1.3

    iPhone 3G is stuck at 4.2.1

    iPhone 3Gs WILL stop at 4.3.0-X

    I am willing to bet the iPhone 4 will stop at iOS 5.x right when 6.x is coming out, we will have this whole conversation again.



    Actually, based on the "trend" you "identify", the 3GS should be updated to at least 5.x.x, and the IP4 to 6.x.x, ...
  • Reply 93 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Actually, based on the "trend" you "identify", the 3GS should be updated to at least 5.x.x, and the IP4 to 6.x.x, ...



    He's trying to act like he's not trolling but then making FUD claims that Apple won't ever update the iPhone 3GS again after 4.3 without backing up with statement of "fact" is a classic troll tactic.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


    Why would those features be left off for 3Gs owners?



    The 3GS has as much RAM as an iPad so I don't expect any huge loss of functionality for iOS5. There may be some features, anything CPU/GPU intensive, that is either disabled on the 3GS or toned down. I think Apple probably learned their lesson with the 3G/iOS4 and will be less likely to force any updates on people that will reduce speed/usability.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I disagree but not but not worth arguing over since Mac hardware outlasts their ability upgrade the OS anyway.



    Used to, all drive manufacturers published the MTBF for a drive on their spec sheets. They don't do this anymore, my guess because it became almost meaningless. Now, the guestimate to replace MTBF is the number of "start stop cycles". I selected and looked up a drive at random, the Seagate Momentus, which has a start stop cycle duty of 600,000.



    So, you're right, it's not worth arguing over because the average computer will be replaced/upgraded long before the drive will likely go out, regardless of how you treat the computer (leave it on, or put it to sleep).



    Which ultimately proves the point-- leaving a computer on isn't "safer" nor will it magically extend its life. Regardless of where you fall on the environment issue (or whether you care or not), all you're doing is quite literally wasting electricity and costing yourself money. Let's say you have an iMac that uses roughly 90-watts; keeping it on 24/7 will run you at least $120/year doing nothing. You can reduce that by two-thirds by simply sleeping it at the end of an 8-hour day.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post


    Used to, all drive manufacturers published the MTBF for a drive on their spec sheets. They don't do this anymore, my guess because it became almost meaningless. Now, the guestimate to replace MTBF is the number of "start stop cycles". I selected and looked up a drive at random, the Seagate Momentus, which has a start stop cycle duty of 600,000.



    So, you're right, it's not worth arguing over because the average computer will be replaced/upgraded long before the drive will likely go out, regardless of how you treat the computer (leave it on, or put it to sleep).



    Which ultimately proves the point-- leaving a computer on isn't "safer" nor will it magically extend its life. Regardless of where you fall on the environment issue (or whether you care or not), all you're doing is quite literally wasting electricity and costing yourself money. Let's say you have an iMac that uses roughly 90-watts; keeping it on 24/7 will run you at least $120/year doing nothing. You can reduce that by two-thirds by simply sleeping it at the end of an 8-hour day.



    They invented this thing called power management a long time ago. You should check out the iPad and MBAs, they can left in sleep mode for a month and still instantly come back to life to be used. You should check how modern and not so modern computers use power. You?re acting like all these Macs run Stuxnet at night to maximize power usage. Crazy!
  • Reply 97 of 109
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    They invented this thing called power management a long time ago. You should check out the iPad and MBAs, they can left in sleep mode for a month and still instantly come back to life to be used. You should check how modern and not so modern computers use power. You?re acting like all these Macs run Stuxnet at night to maximize power usage. Crazy!



    Um, heck, that's all I'm trying to get people to do; sleep their computers!



    You wouldn't believe the number of people I run across (typically Windows users, go figure) who literally never even set up a idle-sleep schedule on their computers. Both my father-in-law and my brother-in-law are guilty of this (and both Windows users), and that leaves me scratching my head. But, to each his own...
  • Reply 98 of 109
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post


    Um, heck, that's all I'm trying to get people to do; sleep their computers!



    You wouldn't believe the number of people I run across (typically Windows users, go figure) who literally never even set up a idle-sleep schedule on their computers. Both my father-in-law and my brother-in-law are guilty of this (and both Windows users), and that leaves me scratching my head. But, to each his own...



    I don't know about other people but Windows XP killed two of my HDDs (on two different machines) back in 2002 and 2003 when I used PCs because of putting the PC to sleep. After that I never let my Windows PCs go to sleep. It was a bug in XP that MS fixed years later.



    When I switched to Mac I was surprised how well sleep worked. My MBP go weeks without shutdowns or restarts.
  • Reply 99 of 109
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trondolsen View Post


    Letters with apostrophe and the @ is possible:

    1. Apostrophe over letters; á, ñ, ö, are possible if you hold your finger on the letter you want to have something added, and boom, there's all the different a's, n's, and so on.

    2. With the @, same procedure: hold your finger down from the symbols-key, and drag it all the way to the @, and release, when you release, you're back on the regular keyboard. Boom.



    Boom. Boom. (I know it's not the quickest way, but it's better than having five extra buttons. )



    That is a useful tip, but you are confusing accents and apostrophes. The little symbols above and below letters (ü, ç, etc) are called accents. Apostrophes are placeholders for skipped letters, (you're, it's) and modifiers for the possessive form of nouns (Bob's computer, Susan's dog).



    Currently iOS has some handy auto insertion rules for apostrophes, but for cases where you need to type them manually, you have to switch to another page on the keyboard which is a pain, even with the hold and drag shortcut.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    Originally Posted by trondolsen

    Letters with apostrophe and the @ is possible:

    1. Apostrophe over letters; á, ñ, ö, are possible if you hold your finger on the letter you want to have something added, and boom, there's all the different a's, n's, and so on.

    2. With the @, same procedure: hold your finger down from the symbols-key, and drag it all the way to the @, and release, when you release, you're back on the regular keyboard. Boom.



    Boom. Boom. (I know it's not the quickest way, but it's better than having five extra buttons. )







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post


    This is the tip of the month for me. Cool!



    Originally Posted by Dave K.

    \t1.\tDifferent sounds from texts from different people



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post


    As of iOS 4.2, it already does this!



    Go into contacts, edit a contact and select their text tone. Voila!





    Now in the 2nd case, Dave K may not be running iOS 4.2 but in the case of trondolsen, iOS has done this since the iPhone was released!



    I know Apple kit is easy to use, and iOS especially so, but who knows what wonders you may discover if you actually read the accompanying manual that Apple spent some time writing for just this reason ;-)
Sign In or Register to comment.