82% of future tablet buyers say they'll choose Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple has the first-movers advantage on their side, plus the momentum from iPhone behind them. Unstoppable.

It?s funny to think that Apple is a first mover here and in the modern smartphone business when both areas were created long before the iPhone and iPad were first on the drawing board.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

As consumers you lose because if there isn't competition in the market then there is no incentive for Apple to innovate and provide new features - just look at iPad 2 for evidence of that.

Yup, I mean we should be grateful of the 10 years of competition by the likes of Microsoft before Apple shipped the iPad to spur them on!

Hey, maybe that's what Motorola is doing with the Xoom - continuing the parade of mediocrity to force Apple to come in and clean up their mess?

Brilliant!
  • Reply 43 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shavex View Post

Quite honestly I think these reports are a joke. Of COURSE Apple has a majority of the market! Mainly two reasons so:

1) Made the first tablet that came with familiarity to an already popular device

2) Lucrative competition hasn't had time to respond to the market

Really? All those years that Nokia had the popular Symbian OS, RiM had the popular BB OS, MS had the popular WM6 OS. They each had a certain level of market dominance. They each could have made a tablet OS that was familiar.

They didn?t!

The only reason Apple has the dominance is because they thought about the future, not the past or present. They took the risk and invested into making a complete device before coming to market, even if that meant having to can the project later on down the road.

Jobs is looking past the next quarter, probably even past his own lifetime in making Apple successful. Can the other HW and OS vendors say that? I don?t think they can.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

What WE are really seeing is Apple taking advantage of ignorant people, which as from the numbers, 82% is a lot.

May I know who is part of the collective group "WE" that you claim to represent in this post?

Quote:

So I will PROUDLY not buy an iPad because it's not practical to being an efficient and effective tool, its a sit down and play a game toy which is good for children but those of you who consider yourselves working adults will need to grow up and get something more productive and mature and will have support for more than 3 years.

Wow, just wow!

Are you one of those who thinks:

I came a conclusion. It it the only right thing to do. I am right, everyone else who thinks otherwise is wrong. I have spoken. You must abide.

"..those of you who consider yourselves working adults will need to grow up..."

Is that a good synopsis?

Do you read much?

CGC

N.B. Capitalization and underscore of the "WE" in the quote was mine.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

So I will PROUDLY not buy an iPad because it's not practical to being an efficient and effective tool, its a sit down and play a game toy which is good for children but those of you who consider yourselves working adults will need to grow up and get something more productive and mature and will have support for more than 3 years.

So, what your saying is that these tablets are all toys and if your a grown-up you will get a laptop? Seriously, your a muppet, get over yourself.

OH, hold on! we have been trolled its DaHarder or teckstud??
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I can't possibly think of changing your mind about which device is best, and you are entitled to your opinion.

However, I don't understand why so many people here believe that someone has to be an "Apple Hater" to buy a non-Apple tablet. It's like saying I'm a Ford hater if I buy a Chevrolet.

The only people that stand to gain from iPad holding such a huge market share are Apple's shareholders. As consumers you lose because if there isn't competition in the market then there is no incentive for Apple to innovate and provide new features - just look at iPad 2 for evidence of that.

There are literally only a few reasons to buy something other than an iPad 2 RIGHT NOW (to emphasize that I am talking about the current market).

1) Form factor (this may be a reason to go for the Tab over the iPad 2, but not the Xoom).

2) Openness (You (a) have moral reasons to only buy open, or (b) think its a more successful model in the long run)

3) Flash (You cannot live without Flash)

4) You are an Apple hater (these exist. Just like quite a few mac buyers were MS haters, although they largely had better justifications)

5) You develop an Android app.

That is it. There is currently literally NO OTHER reason to buy a tablet other than the iPad.

Apple beats everyone else in almost everything else (I may be forgetting a couple of advantages of Honeycomb, but I don't think so).
  • Reply 47 of 80
    Quote:

Quite honestly I think these reports are a joke. Of COURSE Apple has a majority of the market! Mainly two reasons so:

1) Made the first tablet that came with familiarity to an already popular device

Really? Before the iPad came along, most tablets used an OS familiar to anybody who'd used a very popular device - the Windows PC!

Before the iPad, tablets were a running joke. Apple transformed the tablet from a niche product into something that's impregnated the consumer consciousness in a big way. They did that by realising that people don't want a tablet that's just a laptop with a touchscreen and no keyboard - they want something that's more intuitive and more interactive. It's that kind of thought leadership - together with clever marketing - which has given the iPad such a dominant market position.

Quote:

The competition has had a whole year to respond - longer if you count the time when the iPad was known to be in development, and longer still if they'd had Apple's foresight and invested in filling a gap in the market. A year is a long time in this market.

Now the competition is about to deliver its response, in the form of the Xoom, Playbook, Galaxy Tab, etc. - and as the survey shows, the public will decisively reject it in favour of the iPad. It's not hard to see why. Considering the big names and big resources behind the above products, they're turning out to be not far short of an embarrassment. None of them have a respectable app ecosystem. None of them achieve the crucial combination of decent battery life, attractive aesthetics and competitive pricing. None of them are marketed at all well.

It's a shame, because the iPad is far from a perfect product, and it'd be nice to see some genuine competition in the tablet market to force Apple to truly innovate. But why should Apple bother, when it's watching one consumer-unfriendly farce after another unfold whilst laughing all the way to the bank? You could feel Apple's confidence throughout Jobs' iPad 2 presentation. Some would call it smugness. But few would deny that this is a company which knows it's got this market wrapped up for the time being.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If you don't like the iPad, that's fine, go buy an android tablet or a windows tablet or whatever and root it to your heart's desire, but don't come with BS. People who choose the iPad are the smart ones, the people who know what they're talking about and people who know quality when they see it. Some people laughed at the iPad and dismissed it when it first came out. Boy, those people look like real morons now.

Ignorant are the fools who like to spout off useless specs, like complaining that the iPad2 only has 512 mb Ram, even though it performs better than other tablets with 1 gig of Ram.

Ignorant are the fools who claim that the Xoom screen is better than the iPad screen because it has a higher resolution. The iPad screen is vastly superior to the Xoom display in every way, shape and form. It's brighter, the contrast is higher and it's sharper.

Ignorant are the fools who don't grasp and understand what a tablet is supposed to be and has prehistoric ideas where they still are stuck in their 1990's way of thinking about what a PC should be.

People collect Apple products and they always have a good resale value. The only people collecting those other tablets will be the garbage collectors, after the owners throw them in the trash bin a year from now.

Great post - it's really amusing to read the comments on sites like Engadget and feel the hate that blinds them against anything Apple. Spec whores with no understanding or appreciation on the bigger picture of design, OS, ecosystem, longevity and just the total package.

Just wish the UK was getting iPad 2 tomorrow.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Really? Before the iPad came along, most tablets used an OS familiar to anybody who'd used a very popular device - the Windows PC!

Before the iPad, tablets were a running joke. Apple transformed the tablet from a niche product into something that's impregnated the consumer consciousness in a big way. They did that by realising that people don't want a tablet that's just a laptop with a touchscreen and no keyboard - they want something that's more intuitive and more interactive. It's that kind of thought leadership - together with clever marketing - which has given the iPad such a dominant market position.

The competition has had a whole year to respond - longer if you count the time when the iPad was known to be in development, and longer still if they'd had Apple's foresight and invested in filling a gap in the market. A year is a long time in this market.

Now the competition is about to deliver its response, in the form of the Xoom, Playbook, Galaxy Tab, etc. - and as the survey shows, the public will decisively reject it in favour of the iPad. It's not hard to see why. Considering the big names and big resources behind the above products, they're turning out to be not far short of an embarrassment. None of them have a respectable app ecosystem. None of them achieve the crucial combination of decent battery life, attractive aesthetics and competitive pricing. None of them are marketed at all well.

It's a shame, because the iPad is far from a perfect product, and it'd be nice to see some genuine competition in the tablet market to force Apple to truly innovate. But why should Apple bother, when it's watching one consumer-unfriendly farce after another unfold whilst laughing all the way to the bank? You could feel Apple's confidence throughout Jobs' iPad 2 presentation. Some would call it smugness. But few would deny that this is a company which knows it's got this market wrapped up for the time being.

All good points Euphonious. I would suggest that Apple does not seem to be the normal company and does not rest on its laurels. Look at the constant improvement made to the iPod, even though Apple had 70%+ of the market and basically no competition. But I take your point, competition, even for Apple is a good thing. I think HP gets the idea that they have to be the manufacturer of the hardware and also the designer of the software, i.e., WebOS bought from Palm.

I think that Apple has proven the formula for success in consumer tech; high quality hardware mated with high quality software and then there is that Apple ecosystem, too. iLife, ATV, iPhones, iOS, OSX, iPads, iPods, Laptops, iMacs and on and on.

Best and enjoyed your comments!
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Really? All those years that Nokia had the popular Symbian OS, RiM had the popular BB OS, MS had the popular WM6 OS. They each had a certain level of market dominance. They each could have made a tablet OS that was familiar.

They didn’t!

The only reason Apple has the dominance is because they thought about the future, not the past or present. They took the risk and invested into making a complete device before coming to market, even if that meant having to can the project later on down the road.

Jobs is looking past the next quarter, probably even past his own lifetime in making Apple successful. Can the other HW and OS vendors say that? I don’t think they can.

Great points. I think most CEO's that didn't start the company have more foreskin than foresight. Just look at Verizon passing on the original iPhone. Their entire executive management should be replaced.

90% of businesses go out of business once the business is passed from a "founder" to a CEO. Coke, Ford, etc., are the exception not the rule!
  • Reply 51 of 80
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

20% are gonna lay down cash for PlayBook/XOOM/TouchPad ?

20%?!?

Hardly ....

By iPad 3 -- you will hear nary a word from these -- or any other -- tablet producers.

And by the way -- Gruber is a moron.

The "iPad 3" he says is coming out in September isn't an iOS tablet.

It's a tablet running OS X -- that's why Lion looks the way it does.

You heard it here first.

That is quite strident for someone without a record. Gruber is almost certainly eccentric but he has good sources and interesting speculation. Are you going to man up when the next iPad is released with iOS rather than OS X or just change your login name?
  • Reply 52 of 80
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Quote:

2) Until I default to using the search everytime, I am looking at a cluster fuck of icons even if they are in folders! I think this picture appropriately reflects how I feel

I must congratulate you on an incredibly well made point.

And yet I recently came to understand why apple is relying on this ancient way of displaying and organizing apps -- it's what most "normal" people seem to want. A good friend of mine (who also happens to be a smoking hot girl) was showing me her recently purchased macbbok pro and much to my disgust I saw a desktop littered with the abomination of icons that you referenced. and she is not alone. I know other people, all of whom are very intelligent, who keep all their files in the root of any given directory -- they almost never make subfolders. To me this is incomprehensible, but they seem to prefer it this way.for me one of then biggest annoyances of iOS devices is the lack of a user-accessible hierarchical file system, but I think most people just dump all their files in the default folder for every app anyway, so most people don't even notice. Totally weird, but totally true.

Don't get me wrong -- I generally love the idevices but this is the one thing I don't love and I have come to accept that it may be a while before apple addresses the needs of people like me because we are simply a much smaller market.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Here's the main problem in your plan of annoying people by being obnoxious and possibly half witted. Digital communication allows for easily created and modified filters. Plonk!
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:

The truth is Apple has successfully poked holes in consumers wallets over and over, convincing them that they are spending less and resulting in them spending more. "Well an iPad 2 is cheaper than a Macbook I'll buy it!" (spend $500) ...1 year later... "O well I have to buy iPad 3!" (spend $500) Congratulations Apple you have successfully tricked the consumer into spending $1000 still. Another example is the App Store, "O my gosh I can buy a game for .99c, thats worth it" ... $100 later ... "there's an app for everything I love this!" ... next credit card bill "I SPENT HOW MUCH ON APPS?!?!" What we are really seeing is Apple taking advantage of ignorant people, which as from the numbers, 82% is a lot.

I personally am annoyed by several things the iOS does as a whole.

1) No UI customization (I would like this because as much as Apple thinks everyone will be happy with the same design, I am not, I would like my upcoming events on the lock screen and not have to open the damn calendar app after I unlock the device)

2) Until I default to using the search everytime, I am looking at a cluster fuck of icons even if they are in folders! I think this picture appropriately reflects how I feel

Its easy to criticize. But its not like you can come up with something better and sell it 15 million times in 9 months.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

These Apple-haters are dumb a'holes. They'd rather buy a buggy, 2nd rate Android craplet with NO apps, poor battery life that crashes every minute than buy an iPad.

They probably only use them while their PCs are updating the virus databases anyway ...
  • Reply 56 of 80
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

There are literally only a few reasons to buy something other than an iPad 2 RIGHT NOW (to emphasize that I am talking about the current market).

1) Form factor (this may be a reason to go for the Tab over the iPad 2, but not the Xoom).

2) Openness (You (a) have moral reasons to only buy open, or (b) think its a more successful model in the long run)

3) Flash (You cannot live without Flash)

4) You are an Apple hater (these exist. Just like quite a few mac buyers were MS haters, although they largely had better justifications)

5) You develop an Android app.

That is it. There is currently literally NO OTHER reason to buy a tablet other than the iPad.

Apple beats everyone else in almost everything else (I may be forgetting a couple of advantages of Honeycomb, but I don't think so).

iOS is the main reason I won't be buying an iPad 2. I know its cliche, but the iPad IS a giant iPod touch/iPhone to me, and that is not what I'm looking for in a tablet.

The way I see it is if I'm going to buy a device that has similar dimensions to a netbook or a thin and light laptop, it better damn well have similar capabilities to those as well; the iPad just doesn't.

so if I had to buy a tablet RIGHT NOW, the Xoom is my top choice mainly because honeycomb, despite all the hate its getting here, is actually the first tablet OS with capabilities and experience similar to a netbook/laptop. Its not perfect by any means, but given the choice, I will much rather live with imperfections than artificial limitations anyday.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

iOS is the main reason I won't be buying an iPad 2. I know its cliche, but the iPad IS a giant iPod touch/iPhone to me, and that is not what I'm looking for in a tablet.

The way I see it is if I'm going to buy a device that has similar dimensions to a netbook or a thin and light laptop, it better damn well have similar capabilities to those as well; the iPad just doesn't.

so if I had to buy a tablet RIGHT NOW, the Xoom is my top choice mainly because honeycomb, despite all the hate its getting here, is actually the first tablet OS capabilities and experience similar to a netbook/laptop. Its not perfect by any means, but given the choice, I will much rather live with imperfections than artificial limitations anyday.

You?re certainly entitled to your preference and choice, but what you wrote isn?t even close to accurate and certainly doesn?t make any sense. iOS for the iPad was COMPLETELY rewritten to take advantage of the iPad?s I/O. That?s where you?re wrong.

The part doesn?t make sense is that you claim that Honeycomb is the first to do this (as pointed out to be wrong) and yet you also claim you want a 10? screen to function like a desktop OS (as noted by your netbook/laptop comment). There have been 2 decades of failed tablets trying to do that, not to mention the ModBook running Mac OS X. Honeycomb is just following Apple?s lead in trying to make a mobile OS interface for that I/O.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by That'sMyQ View Post

Its easy to criticize. But its not like you can come up with something better and sell it 15 million times in 9 months.

I?m curious how he wants the icons placed if they aren?t next to each other. Does he want them overlapping so you can?t see them, like in WIndows 7? Does he not want icons at all, just text or a command line? I?m perfectly okay with people not liking the way something is implemented but when they offer zero ideas as to how they think it could be better it just sounds like trolling. I think did well with the icon size and spacing on the iPad. They made them larger than on the iPhone and they gave them more space between them so they wouldn?t be as overwhelming to the eye, like in the picture to the left. I don?t see why he has such an issue with this but I?d love to read something besides, ?I?ve seen it before so I don?t like it? or ?Apple should make it look computers in sci-fi movies."
  • Reply 59 of 80
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

You?re certainly entitled to your preference and choice, but what you wrote isn?t even close to accurate and certainly doesn?t make any sense. iOS for the iPad was COMPLETELY rewritten to take advantage of the iPad?s I/O. That?s where you?re wrong.

The part doesn?t make sense is that you claim that Honeycomb is the first to do this (as pointed out to be wrong) and yet you also claim you want a 10? screen to function like a desktop OS (as noted by your netbook/laptop comment). There have been 2 decades of failed tablets trying to do that, not to mention the ModBook running Mac OS X. Honeycomb is just following Apple?s lead in trying to make a mobile OS interface for that I/O.

That's kind of my point. iOS was rewritten for the iPad, not redesigned.

There's just many things on iOS that don't translate well to tablets, notifications and multitasking for example.

and for what its worth, I used those so called 'failed tablets' extensively a few years back. Yes they were bulky and ugly, but they worked extremely well.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

That's kind of my point. iOS was rewritten for the iPad, not redesigned.

There's just many things on iOS that don't translate well to tablets, notifications and multitasking for example.

and for what its worth, I used those so called 'failed tablets' extensively a few years back. Yes they were bulky and ugly, but they worked extremely well.

No, it was rewritten for the display I/O. What you?re talking about is the notification system which was carried over with little change, but you?re first remark implied it was the same UI on both device types which is patently wrong. If you?re going to be a fool you might as well as that iOS and Mac OS are the same because they both use Darwin OS at the core.

Yeah, they were awesome with their pressure based stouchscreens, cheap plastic overlays giving a white hue to the bleeding colors, and their 5lbs of goodness with a 1.5 hour battery life. Asus is making one with Win7 so why don?t you go for that ?real? tablet since you clearly prefer 2 decades of failed efforts over the now popular and growing tablet market that Apple created.