iPad 2 line wraps around the block in downtown San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

His comment was ridiculous, false, offensive and I see that it's now been deleted. And don't presume to know anything about other people's empathy. I actually know quite a few people who live in Japan.

And no, I'm not on line yet. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I have plenty of time to make up mind. I have the whole night ahead of me.

Good, thanks for the latest update on what's going on with YOU. How many posts today on that subject, 15?
  • Reply 42 of 78
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:

What kind of comment is that?

Yeah, we all know that there was an earthquake that happened in Japan.

And we all know that the iPad won't be available in Japan for another couple of weeks, so your comment makes no sense at all.

I think the poster meant that a bunch of sad losers queuing to buy the latest electronic toy is not newsworthy. There are more important things in life.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheeles View Post

I think the poster meant that a bunch of sad losers queuing to buy the latest electronic toy is not newsworthy. There are more important things in life.

Yes, I knew precisely what that loser was hinting at with his ridiculous, false comment, and that's why I called him out on it. Just because somebody buys an iPad, that doesn't mean that they don't care about an earthquake in Japan. People should keep their sick morals to themselves.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

I'm #35 in line at the Corte Madera, CA Apole store and there are approximately 70 folks in line with 2 hours 25 minutes to go. Sunny and mode is festive.

Do you want a medal or something?
  • Reply 45 of 78
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

That's the nicest ping pong paddle I've ever seen!
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Quote:

Yes, I knew precisely what that loser was hinting at with his ridiculous, false comment, and that's why I called him out on it.

You called him out on it? I think you are missing the point. A country suffered a serious natural disaster today, and people are more concerned about what place they are in a queue to buy the latest electronic gizmo.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Quote:

You called him out on it? I think you are missing the point. A country suffered a serious natural disaster today, and people are more concerned about what place they are in a queue to buy the latest electronic gizmo.

People are capable of multitasking. It is in fact possible to both be concerned about what's going on in the world and to be excited about getting a new iPad at the same time. The world doesn't stop functioning, just because of natural disaster someplace.

If he or she is so concerned about it, then they should go rent an aircraft carrier and donate their services. They shouldn't come here and lecture people.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    simpalsimpal Posts: 1member
    does anyone how many units were available in the SF downtown store?
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Good, thanks for the latest update on what's going on with YOU. How many posts today on that subject, 15?

Well, if I'm not completely mistaken, it was YOU who was inquiring if I was waiting in line and I was kind enough to take a minute out of my precious time to supply you with an answer.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    From today onwards, Xoom and the rest of them will be forgotten contrary to what the bloggers say.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    At the Apple Store at the Fayette Mall in Lexington KY all models of the iPad2 are sold out and they do not know when more will be available. I don't know about other local retailers but there is a Best Buy, an ATT store and a Wal-Mart within a mile of the Apple Store and I don't imagine their stock held out any better.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Just got mine Man this is nice.

Went to local Verizon store. No lines but I got the last one 32G3g @ 5:10

The sales rep said he got a call from his brother that the target down the street had line of about 30 people

BTW Dirty verizon dogs made me sign up for the data plan. They said everyone had to do at least a month... Dirty dogs.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Something else to note about the big box stores if you're thinking about trying to get an iPad 2 there:

Apple is only giving each of these locations 10 units, and the 10 units they get are all 64GB (probably all 3g models at that). So if you're expecting choice, forget it. You will need to either go to an Apple store or order online.

It's possible that the Best Buys will have slightly more choice, like having both black and white models, but Target and Walmart do not.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

From today onwards, Xoom and the rest of them will be forgotten contrary to what the bloggers say.

I think that we probably shouldn't even bother mentioning the word "Xoom" anymore.

It's not even a competitor to the iPad, and it doesn't even register a blip on the radar screen. All of those other tablets should be worried about competing amongst themselves, let alone trying to go up against the king of the hill, which is the iPad of course.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Yes, but watching morons wait in line when I simply purchased my movie tickets in advance, with no extra fees, and pick them up at an automated kiosk thus saving me 30+ minutes of my time is not much different.

At least it didn't look like they camped out there a week in advance.

They didn't right?

I mean, can that guy with the iphone, macbook air and whatever else keep himself away from anything apple or electronic for 5 bleeping minutes?

Putting these people down improving your self-image, is it?
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Quote:

Evidently so are you - well at at least you're concerned about writing about people being concerned - or you would be writing a cheque, praying or volunteering somewhere. Don't be a hypocrite.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    recrec Posts: 217member
    It would seem that, at least in the Plano/Dallas TX area, Apple has completely sold through its entire alotment of iPad2's Friday night. At this point their ability to sell iPads now seems to only be constrained by supply.

When I was at the Apple store here, the lines were way too long for something that was just a product refresh. Do people want a camera on their Apple tablet this badly? I would have to say yes. If the iPad 1 was the teaser, the iPad 2 would appear to be the payoff.

Another thing that struck me about the lines I saw: no clear demographic of customer. Its a bit crazy because looking at one person to the next you just can't see a pattern. It's almost like looking at the line at the DMV, a true random sample of people. All age groups, all types. Obviously the one thing they have in common is they have at least $500 in their pocket, or at least on a credit card. Either way, it was a bit staggering to see.

This is not the same company from even 5 years ago. If anyone was doubting their status as a juggernaut in the industry, all they have to do is look at what's going on tonight as evidence of that.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:

I think that we probably shouldn't even bother mentioning the word "Xoom" anymore.

It's not even a competitor to the iPad, and it doesn't even register a blip on the radar screen. All of those other tablets should be worried about competing amongst themselves, let alone trying to go up against the king of the hill, which is the iPad of course.

Is Xoom on sale yet!?
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is Xoom on sale yet!?

• Reply 60 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is Xoom on sale yet!?

Does it matter if it is?

Even if it was reduced to $299 and buy 1 get 1 free, I wouldn't want it.