Survey says 70% of first iPad 2 buyers own original iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A small survey of customers waiting in line to buy the iPad 2 at the Apple Store in Palo Alto, Calif., on Friday revealed that 70 percent of those surveyed already own the first-generation iPad, while 20 percent of respondents planned to purchase the 3G model.

Mobile ad network Mobclix surveyed 50 of the 250 customers waiting in line at Apple's Palo Alto retail store. According to the survey, 70 percent of respondents were upgrading from the original iPad.

It should be noted, however, the results should be taken with a grain of salt, as Silicon Valley residents are likely skewed toward early adopters.

20 percent of those surveyed indicated they would purchase a 3G-capable iPad 2. Customers favored the AT&T network, with 68 percent planning to purchase the AT&T iPad 2 and 32 percent planning to buy the Verizon model.

The survey also found that the top three new features users are excited about are the device's cameras, faster speed and FaceTime video chat.

The Palo Alto Apple Store has historically been a busy site on product launch days, as it is located just 20 minutes from Apple's campus in Cupertino. Last April, Apple CEO Steve Jobs made an appearance at the store for the launch of the original iPad.

For its part, Apple is hoping for lightning to strike twice with the iPad. During the media event announcing the second-generation tablet, Apple declared 2010 the "Year of the iPad," before pronouncing 2011 the "Year of the iPad 2."

Jobs also highlighted the iPad as Apple's "third post-PC blockbuster product." Following the launch of the original iPad last year, Jobs hailed the tablet as the leader of an "uncomfortable" transition to the post-PC era.

Early indicators suggest Apple does have another hit on its hands. Checks to several Apple Stores by Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster revealed that lines were, on average, 104 percent longer than last year's launch, with over a thousand prospective buyers in line at the 5th Avenue Apple Store in New York.

Munster predicts that Apple could sell as many as 400,000-500,000 units of the iPad 2 in its first day of availability. According to one analyst, Apple could sell as many as 1 million units in the first weekend of iPad 2 sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Due to its proximity to the Apple headquarters as well as being in the CEO's hometown, the Palo Alto Apple Store is probably the worst place on the planet to conduct such a survey. And yes, I know the store well as I live in neighboring Mountain View.

I would completely discard anything from this statistically insignificant and probably heavily skewed sample. Hell, if you wanted a better sample, drive to the Hillsdale store in San Mateo.

Palo Alto is store #3 and tiny. While it's no flagship store, there is probably no other property that could be called "home" more than the Palo Alto Apple Store.

AI readers should summarily reject any and all conclusions from this study. It would be like surveying a handful of customers at the original Starbucks shop in Seattle.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Judging by talking to people waiting in line, the 3G versions were quite the popular choice. The Apple Store I went to only had 5 64GB ATT iPad 2's and those were gone in seconds
  • Reply 3 of 38
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    The only thing shocking about this article is that 30% of the Palo Alto, California residents waiting in line at an Apple store didn't already own iPads.

In other news, a survey of 50 New Yorkers waiting for the subway revealed that 100% had previously taken public transit.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The survey also found that the top three new features users are excited about are the device's cameras, faster speed and FaceTime video chat.

Seriously?... They would actually say that? What else is there?

I surveyed 250 people at a coffee shop this morning and found the top three features customers were excited about was coffee, in a cup, with a lid...
  • Reply 5 of 38
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    There is a disproportionate amount of Apple fanboys in a Apple product launch line. It's no surprise that 70% of the people in that line had bought the first iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKpro View Post

There is a disproportionate amount of Apple fanboys in a Apple product launch line. It's no surprise that 70% of the people in that line had bought the first iPad.

Rotfl! Good point!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Exactly.

But some mobile add firm I have never heard of is going to get some mileage out of this...
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Isn't this bad news? Apple should be aiming to grow user-base rather than just recycling users.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:

However the bigger point is that within 8 months I think that number will still hold true. Which means Apple will sell more and more iPads just like iPhones as customers get hooked in great products. Look at the macdailynews.com poll and it matches that. This poll also reflect prior polls related to original iPhone users and upgrades.

If 17 million iPad 1 were sold to date, I think they will sell 11 million to repeat customers and at least 20 more million to new customers in the next 8 months.

My only advice is sell your dog and mortgage your house and buy aapl stock ASAP. This stock will be 600 within 12 months. Not just because of millions of iPads, or iPhones, or Macs. But simply because a HALO affect has started that is only building beyond a tipping point for everything that has an Apple logo on it.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Isn't this bad news? Apple should be aiming to grow user-base rather than just recycling users.

not really. Even though most of the old iPads are being handed over or down to a family member, it is significantly increasing the the user base. For sure, none are hitting the trash bin.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

not really. Even though most of the old iPads are being handed over or down to a family member, it is significantly increasing the the user base. For sure, none are hitting the trash bin.

I don't think it would be importatnt to know where these old ipads are headed. They went out apple's door, out of warranty, apple could care less. I know, being recycled would expand user base.

As long as they keep buying new ipads, the new number will be as spectacular as the last. The indicator still says they are doing good. Maintaining exisitng customers needs even more hard works than getting new customers. The ideas the old holds would be spread out like hot cakes.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

That also means, according to the data, that 30% of the people waiting for hours in line to get an iPad 2 on the day it launches were never iPad 1 owners.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    mlayermlayer Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Due to its proximity to the Apple headquarters as well as being in the CEO's hometown, the Palo Alto Apple Store is probably the worst place on the planet to conduct such a survey. And yes, I know the store well as I live in neighboring Mountain View.

I would completely discard anything from this statistically insignificant and probably heavily skewed sample. Hell, if you wanted a better sample, drive to the Hillsdale store in San Mateo.

Palo Alto is store #3 and tiny. While it's no flagship store, there is probably no other property that could be called "home" more than the Palo Alto Apple Store.

AI readers should summarily reject any and all conclusions from this study. It would be like surveying a handful of customers at the original Starbucks shop in Seattle.

Agreed. It's Steve's backyard store, although unlike last year he didn't show - not that he was supposed to. If there ever was an Apple fanboy Mecca, the Paly store might be it. I even saw a 9-year-old kid in a MacFan t-shirt get interviewed by a Chinese television network about the iPad. After I got my fill I went to local bar to meet some friends. Several regulars were going back and forth between the bar and the Apple Store to see if the lines got shorter.

Since I was only browsing on this trip, I got in shortly after the first purchasers did. I brought along my original iPad with the black rubber case. If you have that combo as well, I suggest doing a side-by-side comparison between the old one with the case and the new one with the smart cover sitting flat on a table. The old one looks twice as thick. This one's going to Gazelle in a day or two, and I'll buy the new one soon assuming they're in stock.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

On the contrary! iPad 2 owners will gift their iPad 1 to their relatives. It is the ideal ripple effect to expand the user base of the iPad …
  • Reply 15 of 38
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Munster predicts that Apple could sell as many as 400,000-500,000 units of the iPad 2 in its first day of availability. According to one analyst, Apple could sell as many as 1 million units in the first weekend of iPad 2 sales.

Well either your "analyst" is reading AI, or you're quoting my optimistic and thoroughly realistic predictions from yesterday.

No need to give credit, "... but don't you EVER call me an "Anal-cyst" (in my best Kevin Klein impersonation)
  • Reply 16 of 38
    scroatscroat Posts: 9member
    Quote:

I think this is great news. Shows brand loyalty. Also the first time buyers mostly will avoid long line ups. They have waited this long to buy a tablet I guess they can wait a few more days. Plus everyone who buys the iPad will show it off to others. Those are the best salesman for apple IMO
  • Reply 17 of 38
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Apple fanboys completely skew predicted figures. The only time you knew there was a problem with sales was when there wasn't a queue on the launch day as was the case with the Verizon iPhone (and neither Verizon nor Apple will ever admit that as being the case).
  • Reply 18 of 38
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

That also means, according to the data, that 30% of the people waiting for hours in line to get an iPad 2 on the day it launches were never iPad 1 owners.

You are forgetting the fanboys that never buy a 1st generation model, but will be first in line for the second generation. These are exactly the people that this model is targeted at. For me, iPad3 will be the one to get.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    This may not be the case, in at least the diversity in the one that showed up between 5-8 pm period at the Boylston Apple Store in Boston. I got a sebse that there were more diversities in ethnicisties I saw more elderly. as well as Asians and families.

Just consider the following:

50/250? How lazy can they get? It is not as if, it will take hours to ask a question in an essentially non-moving line.

And Palo Alto? This is worse than even using the Bolyston Apple Store in Boston which is a college town a and biotech cener. but also a very diverse and enttrenced ethnic group communities.

Plus, if this 70% will hold true, even this weekend, then the actual sales would be well below 500k

CGC
  • Reply 20 of 38
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    That's just pathetic. Not just the waiting in line all day, but waiting in line with an iPad, to buy an iPad 2.

To each his own, but I stayed home quite comfortably, playing with my iPad and my infant son, and was quite happy to be no where near an Apple store.