iPad 2 sells out in many locations after stoking hours-long lines

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    rnb2rnb2 Posts: 61member
    I drove by my local Best Buy (North Haven, CT) at about 4pm, and there was a substantial line, so I drove down the block to Target. Turned out they had 15 units total - 6 64GB Wifi Black, 6 64GB Wifi White, and 3 16GB Wifi Black. Since I was looking for a 32GB Wifi Black, I didn't spend much time there. Since the closest Apple Store is about 30 miles away, I decided that Best Buy was probably the best bet.

I got in line behind about 50 people, and the store GM came down the line and explained the procedure, as others have already described - each of us got a sheet of paper with the model we wanted checked off, and they had pre-printed one form for each individual unit that they had received. I was able to get the model I wanted without any issue, but the line did move slowly once we got into the store, and I didn't get out until almost 6:30. I believe the store said that they got a total of 70 units, of all types, and the 16GB Wifi units sold out first.

Given what a number of people went through, waiting many hours and not getting anything, I feel pretty lucky. Compared to people in Japan, I feel much, much luckier. I've been keeping up on events there via the free NHK News app on my iPhone - highly recommended, as much of the coverage is in English.

I was actually awake when first word of the quake came via BreakingNews on Twitter, and turned on CNN to see the now-familiar footage of the tsunami washing over everything in its path - unbelievable. Hoping that they are able to keep the nuclear facilities cooled. Please send anything you can to the Red Cross.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They xoomed along!

Well not as fast as the xoom line but was pretty quick...lol. Not having to activate the device makes the line less painful.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Maybe instead of drooling over the iPad like a shallow idiot, you should have been doing something more productive like starting a relief fund to help those you claim to sympathize for.

I do wish some people would park their piety here. It is possible to carry on with one's life and still have concern for others. This is largely just an excuse to apple bash under the guise of moral superiority. Give it a rest.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    I'm glad you have the financial means to write a check and buy your gadget. My point was really more about how people waste their time waiting in line for a product that they can get delivered to their home.

I waste my time here

http://www.laworks.com/
  • Reply 65 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They xoomed along!

At Arden Fair in Sacramento, CA, I got there at 11:30 am and was the 90th person in line. I was able to get the 32 GB white Wi-Fi model I wanted. Except for the weird scene with the Apple Store sales people running around like crazy people just before sales started and the fact the store once I got in was noisier than a Chinese dim sum restaurant on weekends, things went smoothly for me.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I guess they wanted the publicity of long lines after the Verizon iPhone 4 launch.

Yeah, like most people, I went home empty handed... \

People keep saying this. Apple wants the excitement, and they want the sales, yeah. I don't think they were trying to have lines just to have lines, though. It seems to me that what they really wanted was to maximize the chance that people who showed up got a device.

That's why they didn't do the pre-order thing they did last year. Tons of people purchased theirs online, constraining the supply available for stores. I think they regretted that. They also got some iPad2's out to places like Target and Wal-Mart and Best Buy (which they wouldn't have done if all they wanted was lines at Apple stores). Like I say, they want to sell a ton of product.

But with such a hotly anticipated device, it's possible for more people might show up than you have inventory for. I bet you a nickel that Apple started sales of iPad 2 with a bigger inventory stockpile than they did with iPad 1.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be disappointed. But more units will ship. I ordered mine online that first night. It's shipping already, but it won't get to me before Thursday. Any modestly persistent person will be able to get one from a brick & mortar store before that. (My recommendation for anybody wanting to buy it from a store in person would have been to wait 4-5 days. The lines will come down. You call around, see who's got supply and rush in and grab one)
  • Reply 67 of 112
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post

I'm glad you have the financial means to write a check and buy your gadget. My point was really more about how people waste their time waiting in line for a product that they can get delivered to their home.

I waste my time here

Glad you are doing something. I work for a non-profit hospital. When I was standing in line I had already put my 50 hours in for the week. I was able to bust out early from my job because I had worked into the night Tuesday making sure a UNIX system nurses use to buy their supplies had a critical software patch installed. What people do with their free time is their business, in my opinion. For me waiting in line was a lot of fun. Of the two people in line I interacted with the most one was getting it for his daughter's birthday to surprise her this weekend. The other was buying it so he would have it in time for a trip to Portugal.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Lines at the 14th street store again today. I believe they closed at 9 or 10 last night and they still had Ipads left over. People were begging for the AT&T 3g models.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

I waste my time here

Waste? I don't waste my time at all. How do you know what people are doing on other days when there isn't an Ipad launch? Get off your high horse. People should be doing something good because it's the right thing to do and do not to throw it up in other people's faces making judgements about how others spend their time. I'd rather you spend your time not helping out the community if it means you are going to be passing judgement on how others spend their time.
  • Reply 70 of 112
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:

I waste my time here

You were melodramatic. And judgmental about the trifle of waiting in line.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    I was #18 at my local Apple Store (Mall of LA). Easily 4-500+ in line by 5:00p.

They didn't have what I originally wanted (White 32gb ATT), so I upped it to 64gb. But the odd thing is-- they really had NONE of the model that I wanted. Being #1 wouldn't have mattered.

BTW, 64gb is pretty awesome. And the SmartCover works pretty well, at least until a bookbook gets released (:
  • Reply 72 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Many must have heard they had Flash-equipped Xooms......

Xoom doesn't ship with flash, so their battery performance at launch won't be so bad, and so people on a xoom can't read xoom's flash-based homepage that promises flash...

Pathetic...
  • Reply 73 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

Put your money where your mouth is

http://american.redcross.org/site/Pa...s_src=F8HWA002

This line stander just did.

Please join me in showing this person just how wrong he/she is.

Done, and thanks for the link.
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

I just hope apple dont push bac the international dates, we here in Canada cant wait for the IP2

I wouldn't be surprised considering there was limited stock for the US launch. But cross your fingers anyhow.

There was an article on this site not too long talking about iPad 2 production issues. Could be that article was right.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._2_supply.html
  • Reply 75 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you line up for this stuff you're crazy. If people had more patience they could go back a week or two later to the same store and get their iPad/iPhone right away.

Excellent point.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Well my local Apple Store had major regional flooding (not the store itself). The mall shut down at 4 EST Friday afternoon. I checked today and it was still closed \. However, when it opens (hopefully in the next couple of days) I am assuming there was be a nice untouched inventory just sitting there and hopefully not a lot of launch day type crowds looking to buy one. We'll see.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    Just FYI

I stopped by Lenox Square (ATL) this morning (Sat) and there really weren't many people there.

Lenox is a very popular location.

Not sure if this means anything about sales but I was surprised there wasn't more of a rush just to see them on Saturday.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    haha it's funny to hear all these clueless fuckers who complained about the long lines or going home empty handed or what they think is a "poor launch". What the hell did you expect. The lines are part of the hype, the experience, the success, and whether or not you got one, this still stands to be the biggest launch yet. The fact that people waited all night and didn't get one says it all, and you know you'll be back as soon as you can get your hands on one. You love it.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petertemplar View Post

Just FYI

I stopped by Lenox Square (ATL) this morning (Sat) and there really weren't many people there.

Lenox is a very popular location.

Not sure if this means anything about sales but I was surprised there wasn't more of a rush just to see them on Saturday.

I got mine at the Mall of Georgia last night and after the sold out they told everyone don't bother even checking back until Tuesday when they get their next shipment. My guess is if Buford gets a shipment on Tuesday so will Lenox.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    I ordered mine yesterday at about 7:30 am and got a ship date of 4/1... Just as a piece of personal research, I went this afternoon to 2 Wal-Marts. 2-Targets. 1 Best-Buy, 1 AT&T store and finally to the Apple store here in SOUTH Southern Orange county (CA).. between noon and 1:30 pm pacific time... NOTHING...ALL GONE...NADA... And some VERY irritated folks everywhere...