iPad 2 sells out in many locations after stoking hours-long lines

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    Apple planned and facilitated the long lines by purposefully not having pre-orders and in-store reservations and limiting initial availability. They wanted the news to report the "long lines" and "sell-outs" for publicity purposes. It takes a coordinated effort between Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, Phil Schiller and the operations and marketing teams at Apple to set up and execute properly. Make no mistake - they know exactly what they're doing. Many companies in the world are envious of their extraordinary ability in these areas of business.

This makes the product seem more desirable to certain types of people and is a well-planned marketing ploy to boost sales numbers in the long term. It also nets Apple a lot of media attention at ZERO cost to the company. It's damn near business genius.
  • Reply 82 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

Apple planned and facilitated the long lines by purposefully not having pre-orders and in-store reservations and limiting initial availability. They wanted the news to report the "long lines" and "sell-outs" for publicity purposes. It takes a coordinated effort between Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, Phil Schiller and the operations and marketing teams at Apple to set up and execute properly. Make no mistake - they know exactly what they're doing. Many companies in the world are envious of their extraordinary ability in these areas of business.

This makes the product seem more desirable to certain types of people and is a well-planned marketing ploy to boost sales numbers in the long term. It also nets Apple a lot of media attention at ZERO cost to the company. It's damn near business genius.

Exactly. And you could see it being set up that way. If I saw a long line in front of me I would assume there was a chance I would not get the model that I wanted (if anything at all). And if I want to avoid that, I would just drop by the Apple store in a couple of weeks for the usual pleasant buying experience.

But it never fails to amaze me how good the Company is from a marketing standpoint (coupled with great interactive products). They have hit on a great formula and its like printing $$ these days. I tip my hat.
  • Reply 83 of 112
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    "It planed to remain open". You mean "planned".
  • Reply 84 of 112
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    People do not seem to understand. Apple does not choose to have little stock on hand. They choose a release date trying to get them out in some balance of quantity on hand and timeliness. (Not to mention strategic considerations.) But there are only so many that can be manufactured in the time frame. This is simply a law of physics, conservation of matter. You cannot make more than you have components for and people to assemble.

My guess is that they will have sold 1.5 million before the weekend is over, and who would have thought that this was not sufficient for demand?

Sorry for those who waited five hours. Surely you knew the risk?
  • Reply 85 of 112
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

There's some truth to that point. But the long lines are primarily a result of having a good product.

If this isn't acknowledge, it comes off as saying that the long lines are a result of the long lines. Good products are creating the hype, not the other way around.
  • Reply 86 of 112
    grillagrilla Posts: 12member
    By quickly I mean that not many customers were served. The lines are moving horribly slow. How long does it take to say here is my credit card I want the X model sign here and go? And this BS about the store not knowing how many they have in stock is absurd. Last but not least until the pipeline has been filled limit the iPad to one per customer. Craigslist is buried with iPads bought yesterday. Nothing illegal or immoral I agree. Just my suggestion.
  • Reply 87 of 112
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:

How does not having sufficient stock lengthen the queues? Not allowing preorders could do have that effect, but how would people arriving early to buy one know there is insufficient stock? Launch hype can't do more than cause an initial blip in sales if the product doesn't have wider appeal. Thousands allegedly queued up to buy Zune 2.0, but that wasn't a lasting effect, so wait until next week.

I decided not to get an iPad 1.0 because Apple was bound to find issues with the first design in the wild that could be corrected easily. I'm not sure I would be the first to buy 2.0, but many others who made the same calculation would be keen to get one.

I'm sure that Apple would not deliberately constrain the supply to the extent being reported here. Some people are going to be pretty annoyed that they waited for hours and bought nothing.
  • Reply 88 of 112
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Anyone seen these performance benchmarks??? Insane. Absolutely wipes the floor with the Xoom, contrary to everything we're led to believe.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/a...p2-benchmarked
  • Reply 89 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Anyone seen these performance benchmarks??? Insane. Absolutely wipes the floor with the Xoom, contrary to everything we're led to believe.

Wow.
  • Reply 90 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Incredible! Can't wait for the full review.
  • Reply 91 of 112
    I live in southern Utah, about an hour away from Vegas in a smallish city called St. George and I had to drive up to Salt Lake City yesterday so i had both cities to possibly tap for iPad 2 supplies. As I was about to leave at about noon I called every store, which consists of 2 "Super" Wal Marts, 1 Target, 1 Best Buy, 1 Verizon Store, and 1 AT&T store because I gave a friend money to buy one for me in case there was less demand down there, and every single one said there was no way I'd get anything if I "was just getting in line". I started calling around a few hours after I got to Salt Lake (about 8pm) and after checking the stock of half a dozen sold out Best Buys, 3 ransacked Wal Marts, and 3 emptied Targets, I gave up. I'm literally on my way back from Salt Lake as I write this and I'm planning on calling around St. George when I get back but I have very low hopes of finding anything.

I'm looking for a 32-64 GB 3G Verizon model preferably in black and I'm really worried that if I call every single store and find out there's 1 16 GB WiFi model somewhere I'm going to uncontrollably purchase it. Haha..

I hate how their running out, I'm hoping for a million+ launch weekend but that's not gonna happen if so many people are turned away. Can you imagine how many would have been sold if they had more than enough for every single person that was interested in one? I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 2 million+.
  • Reply 92 of 112
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

RAM deficiency? I've had one since day one and haven't had any of your so-called "RAM deficiencies."

Trolls have come out from their stony (stoned?) hideouts.

Yep indeed, the ipad 1 low ram "stat" only looks bad on paper and only to spec freaks because in Real life usage i never had any performance problems and i am playing some of the most graphic intensive ipad games
  • Reply 93 of 112
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Yep indeed, the Apple II low ram "stat" only looks bad on paper and only to spec freaks because in Real life usage i never had any performance problems and i am playing some of the most graphic intensive Apple II games

There fixed for you. ( just messing). Of course specs matter if only about how future proof it will. I for one don't care to buy new (fill in the blank) every year, or even every other year if possible due to being obsolete. Plus IMHO iPad 1 was a bit pokey. Have ipad2 now, it's very snappy. Hope to get many 'years' of use.
  • Reply 94 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryb View Post

You were melodramatic. And judgmental about the trifle of waiting in line.

" A partial meltdown was likely under way at a second nuclear reactor." "The official count of the dead was 763, but the government said the figure could far exceed 1,000. Media reports said some 10,000 people were missing or unaccounted for. But hey on a lighter note thousands wait in line for the latest Apple offering.
  • Reply 95 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post

" A partial meltdown was likely under way at a second nuclear reactor." "The official count of the dead was 763, but the government said the figure could far exceed 1,000. Media reports said some 10,000 people were missing or unaccounted for. But hey on a lighter note thousands wait in line for the latest Apple offering.

Do you feel better about yourself now...
  • Reply 96 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Do you feel better about yourself now...

I do feel good knowing that I wasn't used in Apple's Marketing ploy to sell "Life changing" gadgets. "Thank you sir, may I have another"
  • Reply 97 of 112
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I wish people would stop saying it's an incremental update. The iPhone 3GS was an incremental update. The iPad 2 has a new body, a new CPU, a new GPU, a new battery and the addition of cameras, a gyroscope and CDMA support. This is a device that doesn't have many parts, so I fail to see how updating the majority of them is 'incremental.' The only part that wasn't updated was the screen and the only reason people expected that to be updated was the "Retina Display" rumour. It was a major hardware update (albeit a minor software update).

Actually the 3GS update is quite analogous to the iPad 2 update. The 3GS was the first to have a graphics coprocessor so 3D graphics was vastly improved. The iPad 2 does not introduce accelerated graphics but its graphics processor is supposed to be a huge improvement over what was shipping in iOS devices before. So we can expect games and graphics heavy apps to to markedly improve. It's OpenGL ES 2.0 for the win.
  • Reply 98 of 112
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post

.... (crickets chirping) ....
  • Reply 99 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryb View Post

.... (crickets chirping) ....

*crickets chirping*

Neuromancer*Jan 21, 2004 @ 8:32 AM (PST)

*Sound of crickets chirping*

dave.leigh@...*Apr 12, 2006 @ 4:43 AM (PDT)

In a number of political websites and blogs, I see the phrase "Crickets Chirping" often set off in parenthesis, brackets or quotes. Sometimes it will be phrased as "The Sound of Crickets Chirping" again with parenthesis, brackets or quotes.

Wow, now that's original you got me there.
  • Reply 100 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

But it wasn't shallow of you to go to the store "just to satisfy your curiosity." You weren't out helping these Japanese people that you mention, were you? No, you were at the Apple Store.

I think the idiot, shallow person is you for saying that YOU are somehow better than those who wanted to get the iPad 2 on the first day, and who might possibly enjoy the experience of camping out for it.

I was there yesterday, brought my folding camp chair, which was quite comfortable; I listened to an audiobook, chatted with people in line, looked at all the attractive women, drank good coffee, and had a great time. By quarter after I was in my car headed home, with my new 64GB iPad 2 3G.

But feel free to hold onto your superior (but misguided) attitude.

I saw you on YouTube sitting on your folding chair. I'd say your time would have been better spent working out that way you might actually have a chance to go out with attractive women than just giving them the Steven Tyler creepy look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhc1g...e_gdata_player