Dual core SGX543 dramatically boosts iPad 2 graphics

Comments

• Reply 81 of 163
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Don't forget the "ES" part of Open GL ES 1/2/3/4/whatever...!!!

But, like I said, we'll see the gaming gurus push this iPad 2 hardware to the max. We'll definitely be seeing some interesting stuff in the next 6 months. I'm surprised Steve didn't feature a top-tier game developer in his keynote as usual. But I'm sure things were quite tight up to that point.

Now why the iPhone 5 would need the GPU horsepower of the iPad 2 is quite beyond me. But then, I've never been a big phone or apps guy. Ah, whatevs. I'm running around in circles now trying to digest all the info.

BTW the 320M is brilliant compared to the 9400M, in case anyone is wondering, in my personal testing (picked up a price-dropped MBP 13" 2010 model a few weeks ago). Twice as good, at least, in Valve Source-driven games. So if you're into any kind of PC or Mac gaming, the new MacBook Pros (13") with Intel graphics that are sub-320M performance (plus other issues) is NOT YOUR OPTION.

But if you're talking raw CPU power then the new MBPs can't be beat.

The best MBP for those that actually would harness that power would be IMO the

$3,649.00

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

512GB Solid State Drive

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

But... we are now in a "post-PC" era

We'll always want faster stuff. It's in our genes. Maybe a hundred years from now they will have reached some sort of practical limit, but maybe not. Maybe it will be in two hundred years. At some point a limit will be reached, where going faster isn't possible, or will serve no purpose for personal devices. But until then, improvements come fast, and we can use the results.
  • Reply 82 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

You guys deal in the rumor business on a day-by-day basis but I'm going by my memory at the time that the Wall Street Journal was the one who went with that rumor at the time. The WSJ isn't known for publishing rumors unless they come from high end sources at companies. In Apple's case, they have been known to get tips straight from the top before when Apple wants them to know something. I still might be wrong, but how do you remember it?

I remember reading the rumors all over the place. I don't specifically remember the WSJ giving that price as something they were stating that Apple would be doing. I subscribe and didn't read that as far as I can remember. But the WSj does report on what others say, and plenty of others were saying that, and they did report on it.
  • Reply 83 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

[...]

BTW the 320M is brilliant compared to the 9400M, in case anyone is wondering, in my personal testing (picked up a price-dropped MBP 13" 2010 model a few weeks ago). Twice as good, at least, in Valve Source-driven games. So if you're into any kind of PC or Mac gaming, the new MacBook Pros (13") with Intel graphics that are sub-320M performance (plus other issues) is NOT YOUR OPTION.

But if you're talking raw CPU power then the new MBPs can't be beat.

[...]

First of all, ugh! Using my iPad 2 and repliying to multiple users. I had written quite a bit but then switched to a new Safari window to look something up. I thought about copying the text in the reply box but then remembered this is the iPad 2 with 2x the RAM. I No longer need to do that. I came back to the page about about 60 seconds with only 3 Safari pages in play a d it reloaded everything. So nit happy about that. Anyway...

AnandTech's review of the new MBPs showed some interesting results in gaming. With a lower resolution the Intel HD Graphics 3000 beat the Nvidia 320M, but with higher resolution the 320M clearly trounced the Intel HD. I'm not a gamer but that plus the increased CPU performance sound like a good tradeoff to me.
  • Reply 84 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I've checked the Galaxy Tab and can easily confirm that it's pure CRAP compared even to the original iPad. As for the Xoom, it's simply XOOMED in the light of the above benchmarks (not to mention screen quality et al). So let's face it, folks...ANDROID IS DEAD.

There is simply no competition against the iPad, quality-, design- and price-wise. Apple has achieved a unique market advantage here.

I read that the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 inch uses a Tegra 2 CPU -- not a Samsung CPU:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 official: Tegra 2, Honeycomb, dual cameras

Isn't it odd that Sammy would a competitive CPU rather than make its own -- Sammy makes the A4 for Apple and the Hummingbird for sale, and for its own phones and the Galaxy Tab 7".
  • Reply 85 of 163
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

You guys deal in the rumor business on a day-by-day basis but I'm going by my memory at the time that the Wall Street Journal was the one who went with that rumor at the time. The WSJ isn't known for publishing rumors unless they come from high end sources at companies. In Apple's case, they have been known to get tips straight from the top before when Apple wants them to know something. I still might be wrong, but how do you remember it?

I've always viewed the WSJ as the "official leak" outlet for Apple. Without fail, just hours before any announcement they are spot on with the goods. Days or weeks before, it's usually just speculation. But whatever they put out just hours before is almost always right on the money. Hence my theory that they are the official "leak" outlet for Apple PR.
  • Reply 86 of 163
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

First of all, ugh! Using my iPad 2 and repliying to multiple users. I had written quite a bit but then switched to a new Safari window to look something up. I thought about copying the text in the reply box but then remembered this is the iPad 2 with 2x the RAM. I No longer need to do that. I came back to the page about about 60 seconds with only 3 Safari pages in play and it reloaded everything. So nit happy about that. Anyway...

AnandTech's review of the new MBPs showed some interesting results in gaming. With a lower resolution the Intel HD Graphics 3000 beat the Nvidia 320M, but with higher resolution the 320M clearly trounced the Intel HD. I'm not a gamer but that plus the increased CPU performance sound like a good tradeoff to me.

Atomic Web Browser. The only way to surf the web on an iPad. Trust me. I haven't used Safari for many months now.
  • Reply 87 of 163
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

The iPad 3 will definitely run what we consider PS3 and Xbox360 AAA "hardcore gamer" titles. There is very little reason for Apple NOT to release a gaming console with the A6.

Ponder this. Next year Apple doubles the res on the iPad3 and maintains similar speeds to the iPad2 w/no reduction in battery life. No huge jumps in benchmarks like the iPad2 had, but not moving backwards w/that kind of graphics increase will be great.

Now look at the iPhone 6 next summer. They put the A6 in there as well, drive their volume pricing. Then we get an update to the AppleTV and iPod Touch which also receive the A6. I expect something similar will occur this year with the A5 processor, but next year w/the A6 the graphics will be even more nuts and that would be the time to announce open development for the AppleTV as a gaming console. The 3 console makers aren't releasing new home units this year, but I expect they will next year. Imagine Sony and Microsoft trying to sell their new systems for $400-$600 while Apple announces a new $100 AppleTV w/graphics that are close enough to not matter. Saving at least $300 lets you spend a lot more money on games
  • Reply 88 of 163
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    iPad 2 xooms past the competition.
  • Reply 89 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I read that the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 inch uses a Tegra 2 CPU -- not a Samsung CPU:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 official: Tegra 2, Honeycomb, dual cameras

Isn't it odd that Sammy would a competitive CPU rather than make its own -- Sammy makes the A4 for Apple and the Hummingbird for sale, and for its own phones and the Galaxy Tab 7".

You know, I was wondering about that myself. Could it be that their production was too tight for them for this product? Or possibly they just don't have a product?
  • Reply 90 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

For some things it might work. But even for browsing, it would be slower. Remember that the gpu would have to render four times the pixels. That still requires more power. I'm noticing on my iPad2 that most things are faster. Browsing is faster, and so is quickly scrolling down a long page. Where before I would always get the checkerboard for a second or two, now I either don't get it at all, or I get it for a fraction of a second. That's due to faster hardware.

Put a four times the pixel display in there, and that will all slow down again.

My guess is another big factor for Apple when it comes to a higher res display is battery life.
  • Reply 91 of 163
    Quote:

Atomic Web Browser. The only way to surf the web on an iPad. Trust me. I haven't used Safari for many months now.

I had bought Atomic for the first iPad but never use it even though it resolved my issues with Safari on the iPad. Instead, I just never used it to reply via websites.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Ponder this. Next year Apple doubles the res on the iPad3 and maintains similar speeds to the iPad2 w/no reduction in battery life. No huge jumps in benchmarks like the iPad2 had, but not moving backwards w/that kind of graphics increase will be great.

Now look at the iPhone 6 next summer. They put the A6 in there as well, drive their volume pricing. Then we get an update to the AppleTV and iPod Touch which also receive the A6. I expect something similar will occur this year with the A5 processor, but next year w/the A6 the graphics will be even more nuts and that would be the time to announce open development for the AppleTV as a gaming console. The 3 console makers aren't releasing new home units this year, but I expect they will next year. Imagine Sony and Microsoft trying to sell their new systems for $400-$600 while Apple announces a new $100 AppleTV w/graphics that are close enough to not matter. Saving at least $300 lets you spend a lot more money on games

This begs the question, will there be a new AppleTV each year?

Also, will it get an SDK and App Store this year? Will the next version get 1080p output or will Apple wait for the iTunes Store to start offering 1080p content before moving the HW to offer 1080p output?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

My guess is another big factor for Apple when it comes to a higher res display is battery life.

According to Wikipedia there are some new IPS technologies that will offer more of everything with less power needs. If that page is even remotely accurate then I think we can assume Apple is working to get that technology mass produceable, even if it means heavily investing in the tech for exclusive rights.
  • Reply 92 of 163
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Yea, the same WSJ that kept predicting the Verizon iPhone over and over again.
  • Reply 93 of 163
    Quote:

They don't.

Who is they? Anand is an actual person. Read the review.
  • Reply 94 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

they |ðā|

pronoun [third person plural]

1) used to refer to two or more people.

Quote:

The Windows Phone 7 Review

by Anand Lal Shimpi & Brian Klug

In fact, Brian Klug has written more about WP7 on AnandTech than Anand, but you would know that if you actually "read the review."
  • Reply 95 of 163
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 471member
    Quote:

I remember reading the rumors all over the place. I don't specifically remember the WSJ giving that price as something they were stating that Apple would be doing. I subscribe and didn't read that as far as I can remember. But the WSj does report on what others say, and plenty of others were saying that, and they did report on it.

OK Mel, I went back to see if I could find the original WSJ article and here it is from Jan. 5, 2010:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

I don't subscribe so I can't read past the first two paragraphs which don't mention the price. But I can read the comments section and many on the first page react to the thought of paying $1000 for it. Since you subscribe, can you confirm the contents of the article?
  • Reply 96 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, I mean 25 FPS, because I was just quoting what some super genius wrote on that forum.

As for what I believe the best frame rate to be, the answer is obviously, the higher, the better!

For gaming, I don't mind 100 FPS and above. Try it out for yourself (if you have a hefty graphics card), and you'll see that there's a huge difference.

24 FPS is used in movies, AFAIK, and the real "human eye can't see the difference beyond taht" number is 60 FPS.

And no, I don't have a hefty graphics card on my 13" MBP... it's not even dedicated

Actually, graphics card options seem to be one of the top "features" of the mythical xMac... probably because few people can afford a Mac Pro for for gaming
  • Reply 97 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

they |ðā|

pronoun [third person plural]

1) used to refer to two or more people.

In fact, Brian Klug has written more about WP7 on AnandTech than Anand, but you would know that if you actually "read the review."

The article itself has "I" in the review, not "we". It's obvious that Brian helped but isn't the one talking there. Brian Klug did the reviews of the later phones.

Or do you think me, a reader of that site for the past 12 years can't tell when Anand writes or not?
  • Reply 98 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That's another good point. Next year, things will be even more efficient.

It's why Apple isn't going to the power sucking so called 4G chips yet.
  • Reply 99 of 163
    Quote:

I know Anand, so I know he's a real person. They like some things about WP7, but if you actually read the site, as I do, you'll see they don't like it more.
  • Reply 100 of 163
    Quote:

The article itself has "I" in the review, not "we". It's obvious that Brian helped but isn't the one talking there. Brian Klug did the reviews of the later phones.

Or do you think me, a reader of that site for the past 12 years can't tell when Anand writes or not?

I?ll repeat this again, just for you.

Brian Klug did more WP7 articles by himself than with Anand, yet you claimed there is only Anand writing the reviews.

The big WP7 review has "Anand Lal Shimpi & Brian Klug" as the writers. That is two people doing the review, hence the used of ?they?.

& is a logogram known as an ampersand. It means ?and?. It comes the Latin et, which is a ligature derived from a capital ?E' and lowercase ?t' when written in cursive.