Wireless NFC e-wallet won't be a part of Apple's iPhone 5 - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has allegedly decided to abandon the inclusion of a wireless near-field communication e-wallet in its forthcoming iPhone 5, expected for release this summer.



Citing sources with "several" mobile operators in the U.K., The Independent reported Monday that Apple recently held meetings in which it disclosed it will not include NFC technology in the next iPhone. The inclusion of NFC technology like radio-frequency identification, or RFID, can allow mobile devices to serve as an electronic wallet, letting users authorize transactions without using their credit card.



In January, it was claimed that Apple was finalizing NFC technology for both the iPhone 5 and iPad 2. But the iPad 2 arrived last week without any support for NFC.



Apple allegedly told British mobile operators that it is concerned that there is a lack of a clear standard across the mobile industry for e-wallet payments. The report also indicated that Apple still hopes to include NFC technology in the supposed iPhone 6, expected to debut in Apple's annual summer timeframe in 2012.



While the iPhone 5 will reportedly not include NFC technology, Google's flagship Nexus S, released late last year, did include a NFC chip for short-range wireless data transmission. However, its use has failed to gain any mainstream traction.



As recently as this January, Apple has been looking to hire experts on RFID and mobile payments, adding to numerous rumors that Apple plans to add NFC support to the iPhone. But that interest is not new, as it was reported in 2009 that Apple was already testing RFID technology in a prototype handset.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    ktappektappe Posts: 759member
    Wouldn't Apple's inclusion of NFC helped make it a standard??
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I can see them not including support for it in software for a while, until people can agree more on a way to go about it, but there's no reason not to include the hardware chip for now, so that in the future it can be enabled.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple allegedly told British mobile operators that it is concerned that there is a lack of a clear standard across the mobile industry for e-wallet payments.



    Presumably if they introduce their own system using iTunes credits instead they make a commission on every transaction rather than give it to Visa/Mastercard/etc. Maybe this is what the new data centre is for.



    Maybe one day my iPhone will also replace my car/door keys. Now that would be cool.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    it was claimed that Apple was finalizing NFC technology for both the iPhone 5 and iPad 2.



    On the iPad? Waving your iPad in front of a payment terminal would be even more silly than holding it up to take a photo/video with the rear camera.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post


    I can see them not including support for it in software for a while, until people can agree more on a way to go about it, but there's no reason not to include the hardware chip for now, so that in the future it can be enabled.



    Apple almost never does things like that. They'll withhold the technology so you have a reason to upgrade to the iPhone 6 (or whatever) which includes the technology. Why sell you one future-proof product when they can get you to buy two as an incremental upgrade addiction.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    shogunshogun Posts: 360member
    If this isn't in the iPhone 5 what can they do to make me buy one? I'm perfectly satisfied with my 4 in every way, including size, weight, gb, and cameras. If it's a faster processor so I can use GarageBand on my phone I'll pass, and it would be the first time ever that I haven't upgraded to the new iPhone.



    What else could the iPhone 5 deliver that would be compelling?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post


    Presumably if they introduce their own system using iTunes credits instead they make a commission on every transaction rather than give it to Visa/Mastercard/etc. Maybe this is what the new data centre is for.



    Maybe one day my iPhone will also replace my car/door keys. Now that would be cool.



    Aren't there already an app for that? I remember seeing a Chevy Cruze commercial where a woman remotely started the car for her husband's amusement.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    neilmneilm Posts: 587member
    In further news, rumours said to be from an "informed source" suggest that the iPhone 5 will include neither a nose hair trimmer or a blender.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post


    If his isn't in the iPhone 5 what can they do to make me buy one? I'm perfectly satisfies with my 4 in every way, including size, weight, gb, and cameras. If it's a faster processor so I can use GarageBand on my phone I'll pass, and it would be the first time ever that I haven't upgraded to the new iPhone.



    What else could the iPhone 5 deliver that would be compelling?



    A lot of things. e.g. A5 chip, 1GB RAM, thinner/lighter design, LTE support, better screen (non-reflective, fingerprint resistant, etc).
  • Reply 9 of 22
    If there is no NFC this year. I will probably skip this years if its just slight hardware improvement. I hope this rumor is false.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple has allegedly decided to abandon the inclusion of a wireless near-field communication e-wallet in its forthcoming iPhone 5, expected for release this summer.



    Citing sources with "several" mobile operators in the U.K., The Independent reported Monday that Apple recently held meetings in which it disclosed it will not include NFC technology in the next iPhone. The inclusion of NFC technology like radio-frequency identification, or RFID, can allow mobile devices to serve as an electronic wallet, letting users authorize transactions without using their credit card.



    In January, it was claimed that Apple was finalizing NFC technology for both the iPhone 5 and iPad 2. But the iPad 2 arrived last week without any support for NFC.



    Apple allegedly told British mobile operators that it is concerned that there is a lack of a clear standard across the mobile industry for e-wallet payments. The report also indicated that Apple still hopes to include NFC technology in the supposed iPhone 6, expected to debut in Apple's annual summer timeframe in 2012.



    While the iPhone 5 will reportedly not include NFC technology, Google's flagship Nexus S, released late last year, did include a NFC chip for short-range wireless data transmission. However, its use has failed to gain any mainstream traction.



    As recently as this January, Apple has been looking to hire experts on RFID and mobile payments, adding to numerous rumors that Apple plans to add NFC support to the iPhone. But that interest is not new, as it was reported in 2009 that Apple was already testing RFID technology in a prototype handset.



  • Reply 10 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    Apple almost never does things like that. They'll withhold the technology so you have a reason to upgrade to the iPhone 6 (or whatever) which includes the technology. Why sell you one future-proof product when they can get you to buy two as an incremental upgrade addiction.



    Apple should include every possible technology on every product release. Sure, they'd cost and weigh twice as much with half the battery life, but unless my next iPhone has every conceivable innovation, including those that may or may not have any real purpose, I'll know they're just sandbagging me in order to sell me a new machine later.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Ah Apple preping their "One more thing" moment.



    I think this is one of those false controlled leaks. Nothing more.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I don't see, globally, this NFC stuff being big enough of a deal for Apple to put it in the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    shogunshogun Posts: 360member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post


    A lot of things. e.g. A5 chip, 1GB RAM, thinner/lighter design, LTE support, better screen (non-reflective, fingerprint resistant, etc).



    None of that is compelling to me, though. It all sounds nice, but I don't sense I have a need for faster, thinner, etc. I badly wanted an iPhone 4 because retina was huge, hd video was huge. I had high hopes for NFC, especially since the other day when I went through the mcdonalds drivethrough and ordered ice cream for ge whole family and then had forgotten my wallet at home. I had my phone right in my pocket, though. I can't tell you how strong my impulse was to wave my phone over their credit card reader. Instead I drove home with nothing.



    I'm wondering what would be *compelling* in iPhone 5 if not NFC?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post


    A lot of things. e.g. A5 chip, 1GB RAM, thinner/lighter design, LTE support, better screen (non-reflective, fingerprint resistant, etc).



    Is this a typo? My wife's iPhone 4 is very fingerprint resistant. After a full day usage I didn't notice any fingerprints, only powder lol.



    I think this is one of controlled leak to give misinformation.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    On the iPad? Waving your iPad in front of a payment terminal would be even more silly than holding it up to take a photo/video with the rear camera.



    The iPad would be the POST (Point Of Sale Terminal) -- the other side of the transaction.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post


    A lot of things. e.g. A5 chip, 1GB RAM, thinner/lighter design, LTE support, better screen (non-reflective, fingerprint resistant, etc).



    LTE is even less likely than NFC and the person you were replying to already discounted speed improvements as being worthwhile. It's also unlikely to be any different in form factor.



    I'd echo the first poster's remarks. I don't (yet) see a good reason to upgrade to an iPhone 5 based on what we know will be in it and it might be my first time not upgrading also.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Apple should include every possible technology on every product release. Sure, they'd cost and weigh twice as much with half the battery life, but unless my next iPhone has every conceivable innovation, including those that may or may not have any real purpose, I'll know they're just sandbagging me in order to sell me a new machine later.



    Oh cut the bullshit. This is just something that many people want to become a standard, and I don't see the Nexus 2 weight doubled for having it. You simply have to take the most defensive position for Apple that you can and you sound like SUUUCH a douche.



    You've NEVER thought to yourself while paying for gas or groceries it would be nice to just quickly use that phone in your pocket to pay for everything? It's not like this is some far out off the wall feature that only geeks want.



    It would help tremendously to make it a standard if Apple adopted it, but if this rumor is true, it COULD mean Apple might be coming up with their own standard (which would honestly be typical of Apple.)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Booooo. Come on Apple, we're already 5+ years behind Japan/Korea with this stuff, let's get the ball rolling. Those keychain cards (ie for gas) are a joke.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    NFC is something that is a bit dangerous (because you're broadcasting your credit card number) but it will allow us all to have free smart phones. AT&T and Verizon want us to have this feature because every time we use it at the point of sale they will get a percentage of the purchase. To entice everybody to use this feature they will be giving away smart phones when you sign your contract with them just the way they do now with non-smart phones.



    Maybe in two years iPhones will be free with your contract or perhaps there will be a fee for getting an iPhone with more memory. NFC is a great profit center for cell phone companies and eventually it will take off. Maybe it will be another two years but it will happen.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post


    In further news, rumours said to be from an "informed source" suggest that the iPhone 5 will include neither a nose hair trimmer or a blender.



    I was thinking the same thing. It was a rumor that they were even thinking of including it now we have a rumor they aren't. Now when it is included they will claim that the issues were worked out or Apple went with some kind of modified version. Something more like the Starbucks app, which works off a debit system. Frankly I kind of wish they would do that. I carry a phone and a metro tap card. I would love it if my phone could just be my tap card. And my gift card at the Starbucks, etc.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post


    AT&T and Verizon want us to have this feature because every time we use it at the point of sale they will get a percentage of the purchase.



    There is zero reason for the carriers to get a cut because it is not using anything they have a part in. Just because something is part of a phone it doesn't mean the carrier is involved. If anyone was getting a fee it would be the hardware maker, which is Apple. And it is unlikely even then. More like they paid a fee to license the tech.



    Smart phones won't be free to consumers until the retail price is under $400 or the carriers have the balls to pay $600-700 and get legal clearance to charge that in an ETF. Which I should already think they should be allowed to do. I think the laws should be rewritten to make service fees and device costs two different line items. Contracts can run 1, 2, or 3 years at the users choice with the carrier being able to offer a subsidy of 1/3, 2/3, or the full cost based in the length. Each month the user 1/thenumberofmonthsinthecontract back as noted in the contract and spelled out on the bill and the ETF is simply the amount left. If you go to the end of your contract and don't upgrade, your bill goes down. You want to pay extra on your device, you can. And so on
Sign In or Register to comment.