First Look: Apple's new iPad 2 Smart Cover ships in smart packaging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    I'm vacationing in Japan now (keep positive hopes and thoughts for the people here) and saw this on a Japanese website. Seems Apple may have gotten the idea for the iPad cover from a popular Japanese bath cover:

• Reply 22 of 57
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Does it work, stick to iPad 1 ?

Why don't you read the article? Maybe the answer lies within.

Try starting with the very last sentence.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’m waiting for iFixit to do a teardown of the Smart Cover packaging and for iSuppi to list its BoM.

I'm waiting for Apple to put up a high production value video of the making of the packaging for the Smart Cover, complete with earnest testimonials from the design team regarding the deeper human values in play.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

The new cover doesn't protect the back or the sides. There's going to be damage unless you drop it right on the cover...and the glass could break easily if dropped on its side.

It's not meant to be heavy duty protection. More of a prop/stand than anything else. I suspect a lot of people who buy the Smart Cover will opt to also use some type of sleeve case as well.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I picked up the Cream leather cover on Friday and it already has some finger prints on it. I tried a leather cleaner and it didn't seem to do much good. I checked both the Apple store and their website and nothing about cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The cover works great (has three positions: rolled on the side so you can grab it and hold the iPad2 with one hand, rolled across that top (button on left) so that the iPad lays flatter for typing, and rolled at the bottom so that the iPad2 stands nearly vertically for displaying pictures (button on right)).

It doesn't provide much protection for the back, but I am assuming that it will only be a matter of weeks before someone develops half shell case with magnets that will just slip on the back yet still allow the Apple cover to be used. I stopped by a stationary store today and purchases one of those sliver mylar bubble sleeves for toting it around until something better comes along. Its big enough that it will also hold some adaptors and cables.

Check out the Alibaba.com website for dozens of Chinese designed cases waiting for large orders before going into production.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I haven't handled any of these yet, but I find that I prefer the color selections of the leather Smart Cover. Does anyone who has handled both find a preference in function?
  • Reply 27 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I haven't handled any of these yet, but I find that I prefer the color selections of the leather Smart Cover. Does anyone who has handled both find a preference in function?

I prefer the leather cover colors and feel.

I?m not sure what you mean by "preference in function" unless you are referring to the old and new Apple-made case/cover accessory. I can see why some would want the extra protection, but I?m glad Apple went the other way with the Smart Cover. I suppose it just depends on your needs and interest. Personally, I?m okay with getting scratches on my iPad so long as it?s not on the glass.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm waiting for Apple to put up a high production value video of the making of the packaging for the Smart Cover, complete with earnest testimonials from the design team regarding the deeper human values in play.

Jon Ive: ?We start with 100% recycled paper?"
  • Reply 29 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Jon Ive: “We start with 100% recycled paper…"

Jon: "...When you can reatedly take out and put back a product in its retail packaging without damaging the packaging, it truly becomes magical..."
  • Reply 30 of 57
    This is a fun thread.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I'm vacationing in Japan now (keep positive hopes and thoughts for the people here) and saw this on a Japanese website. Seems Apple may have gotten the idea for the iPad cover from a popular Japanese bath cover:

They could have gotten the idea from a '60s movie for a pool clover, as well.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Seems Apple may have gotten the idea for the iPad cover from a popular Japanese bath cover:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

They could have gotten the idea from a '60s movie for a pool clover, as well.

Show me a pool cover photo that has almost the identical color, folds - pleats, and style of the Japanese bath cover and I'll concede.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

While the Smart Cover is probably the most clever invention of the last several decades, I would personally prefer the old case. The new one appears to lack a "open and hold in your hands, but don't detach the cover" mode.

Hate the dumb cover. Love the original case. Using paper hole punch for the rear camera, Xacto Knife to cut speaker rectangle and mic hole in top. Save $39 and get further use out of the original iPad case for another year.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I prefer the leather cover colors and feel.

I?m not sure what you mean by "preference in function" unless you are referring to the old and new Apple-made case/cover accessory. I can see why some would want the extra protection, but I?m glad Apple went the other way with the Smart Cover. I suppose it just depends on your needs and interest. Personally, I?m okay with getting scratches on my iPad so long as it?s not on the glass.

Sorry, I knew my "preferences in function" question was unfinished. I actually didn't mean to post it, I was going to drop it but I got distracted...

What I was trying to get at is: I assume that the leather feels better (being leather and all) but I wondered if there was a difference in the way the covers hold to the back when open--does one type offer a little more grip/friction with the back of the iPad or in the hand? Is there a difference in flexability/stiffness when bending at the folds? That sort of thing.

I agree with your scratches sentiment. I've never been one to worry to much about scratches on the backs of things (iPods, iPhones, laptops)--I love the battle scars my old TiBook has! Sure, when they are new I hold my electronics like children for a day or two, but who wants to live like that?
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I'm sorry, but I don't like the new iPad 2 cover. While it covers the display, it doesn't really protect it from breakage. The old iPad cover was very protective. Enough so that you could kind of toss it around. I dropped it several times without even thinking that it could've broken.

The new cover doesn't protect the back or the sides. There's going to be damage unless you drop it right on the cover...and the glass could break easily if dropped on its side.

I also find that the cover doesn't feel comfortable when fully folded back. As a result, I'm constantly taking it off, which I'm imagining will ultimately lead to scratching.

Speaking of scratching, since it doesn't do anything for the back, it will get scratches simply by having it slide around on hard surfaces.

While I like the use of magnets and the auto-wake/sleep, the cover doesn't work as a lazy-bed stand. You can't lay on your back with the iPad 2 on your chest propped up with the cover like you could before, making it completely unfappable for dualies.

I haven't seen any 3rd parties actually shipping that are any good or take advantage of the magnets, anyone else?

I agree 100% with this mini-review! I actually bought an iPad last Friday and a smart cover, but had to return them due to light leaks and a yellowy screen on one side. I've decided to wait a while in the meantime, since there weren't any replacement units and because I wasn't very excited about the smart cover -- I want to see what third-party cases come out. I currently have an iPad 1 with the Apple case, and that case is just about perfect, for the reasons mentioned above. I really wish Apple would release an iPad 2 version of that case!!
  • Reply 36 of 57
    My biggest issue with it is that it leaves lines on the screen that just happen to correspond to the pattern of the case... Great idea.. but add together finger oils, lint & dust, and a pattern and you get a screen that needs cleaning more often that it does without the cover. I think its ALMOST brilliant. It has a coolness factor, but it is far from perfect.

As soon as Otterbox brings out a case for the iPad 2, I'll have a magnetic cover for sale...
  • Reply 37 of 57
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Wow. I just spat tea on my computer.

He was probably being sarcastic (like my first sentence)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

wow. i just spat coffee all over my monitor (luckily it missed my macbook).

neat and cute sure. but probably a few inventions of the last several decades that i'd put ahead of it.

eg PCs, cellphones, the internet, the iPhone...

• Reply 38 of 57
    Am I the only one who is bugged by the "Fast forward" look of some of the iPad 2 videos? You can see it in the Smart Cover demo, or the clip showing the teacher using the HDMI out dongle.

It's like they just took their footage and pushed the fast-forward button. Or artificially increased the frame rate. Grr! OK, I know no one else cares. It just gives this super cheap look to their videos, which are usually top notch.

Anyway, my iPad made it to Alaska from China! Halfway there, buddy!
  • Reply 39 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Jon: "...When you can reatedly take out and put back a product in its retail packaging without damaging the packaging, it truly becomes magical..."

"There's a sensation of discovery, almost as if the product were being created anew each time it's returned to its packaging. It's a profound felling of rebirth, of imagining the possible and then going beyond even that."

• Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

As a backup, when I'm writing long replies on message boards, I do a quick "select-all, copy" every so often. That way if something goes awry with the browser, I've still got my hard work "saved" on the clipboard.

I do that on every forum, whether using my regular computer or my iPhone. Every so often a quick CMD-C on the computer or a Copy on the iPhone, and then for sure one at the end just before I hit Send.

I do NOT like it when the web site does not accept my Reply and I have to rewrite it.

I know people who write a dozen paragraphs without ever doing a CMD-C and then complain for another half dozen paragraphs about how they lost their Reply!

And don't get me started about people who don't do a CMD-S as soon as they start a document and then every couple of minutes afterward.

Oh, and I think the SmartCover is cool, and if you want to protect the back more, get something like a GelaSkin. (Back on topic!)