Overwhelming iPad 2 demand continues, Apple's online orders now ship in 4-5 weeks

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

The silence is deafening....

I ordered on-line at 12:50 am. PST on day one and just now received in Sacramento. It went from Shenzhen CN to Lantau CN to Anchorage AK to Oakland CA to Sacramento CA in 4 days

Apple has a winner on their hands It is a great improvement from version 1. The slimmed down version is easy to hold.
  • Reply 82 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solongjoe View Post

I ordered on-line at 12:50 am. PST on day one and just now received in Sacramento. It went from Shenzhen CN to Lantau CN to Anchorage AK to Oakland CA to Sacramento CA in 4 days

Apple has a winner on their hands It is a great improvement from version 1. The slimmed down version is easy to hold.

Which model did you get? I ordered my 64GB Wifi+3G ten minutes earlier than you, but haven't even got a tracking number yet. Just the same old "Ships in 3-5 business days" message.
  • Reply 83 of 97
    When I spoke with the Apple rep over the phone, he said the 32 / 64 was being shipped faster because they had less of a demand....

I ordered the 16gb 3g at 412am est and my boss ordered her 32gb 3g at 430 est... mine is still waiting to be shipped while my boss should be getting her Ipad on Wednesday!
  • Reply 84 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nauticax88 View Post

When I spoke with the Apple rep over the phone, he said the 32 / 64 was being shipped faster because they had less of a demand....

I ordered the 16gb 3g at 412am est and my boss ordered her 32gb 3g at 430 est... mine is still waiting to be shipped while my boss should be getting her Ipad on Wednesday!

Well not me, Still waiting to ship my 64GB 3G and I ordered at 4:03 EST... I wonder if white is more of a wait at this point but my wife wanted white for when I hand it down to her
  • Reply 85 of 97
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post

Actually, your comments demonstrate how little you know about Apple's supply chain. Apple only get flash drives from Japan and the factory was unaffected by the the recent events. Congratulations, you just stumbled into letting everyone know what you don't know. Get catch phrases in your post though, but utter rubbish.

Well that is clearly bullshit and you demonstrate your own ignorance. Japan makes more than 40 percent of the world's electronic components. Some of the world's largest suppliers of key materials are based in the disaster zone. Shin-Etsu Chemical and Sumco Corporation supply most of the world?s silicon wafers, both ceased production at factories in the region, and there is no date when production will restart or if many workers will be able to return to work, given the sheer number of homeless.

Sony, Sanyo and Panasonic are the biggest battery cell suppliers. Panel prices may also climb. While these may be manufactured elsewhere, they still require Japanese-made components and adhesives for production.

So, while you were so quick to jump down my throat and demonstrate what a world class wanker you are, it's clear that the supply of many key components used in the manufacture of consumer electronics products, including Apple's, will be impacted for weeks if not months.
  • Reply 86 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kutjara View Post

Which model did you get? I ordered my 64GB Wifi+3G ten minutes earlier than you, but haven't even got a tracking number yet. Just the same old "Ships in 3-5 business days" message.

I ordered the basic black 16 gb wifi. I also ordered the blue poly cover but they tried to deliver to my office on Saturday then was supposed to redeliver today but no sign of it when I left! Tracking number for cover appeared by end of day Friday, then tracking number for iPad showed up on Saturday.
  • Reply 87 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Apple taking physical control of production would be the worst thing to happen for Apple. Apple has demonstrated through their success and failure that their core skill is in design and marketing, not actual manufacturing. Taking on production would seriously dull their focus and drag down their ROI to boot.

When has Apple ever assembled their own hardware to provide the success/failure evidence?

I'm not talking about taking sand and turning it into glass. As for focus, what of the unibody milling, the white paint. I'd say Apple is already heavily involved in developing the production methods (by altering existing tech they find). It is only the labour force they don't control and even Apple invests a lot of time in various training programs (as reported) for them.

I'm talking about hmm, automated assembly. I reckon in the space of a bedroom you could design a two stage reprogrammable build station for devices up to MacBook size, at least iPod, iPhone, iPad size. One "half" mills and recycles unibodies. The other half has hmm 4 robotic manipulators that assemble into the unibody.

You define a block size, say iPad but one iPad block is 9 iPhones/touch, 36 nanos and 54 shuffles. Better yet it is metal powder and it is similar to rapid prototyping, no waste and it can make all products.

Ultimately all CE devices will be printed in layers.

There is no reason not to innovate and lead the way. The shop becomes the plant. There are all sorts of unexplored cost effiencys. Take the aluminium. How many middlemen and transports occur from extraction to an iPad in store. On the scale of raw material Apple uses they could negotiate direct, skip all the intermediate steps and make as required. The in store unit turns a pallet of aluminum into whatever is required, in a launch phase it pumps out the hot item, otherwise it creates whatever devices is needed to restock, it would respond to what is selling in its store

Let alone starving future and existing competitors.
  • Reply 88 of 97
    I am in agreement with PixelDoc

At any rate many of Apple's "inventions" or "innovations" have been around manufacturing, materials, JIT etc. It keeps inventories low.

You don't make 50 million of something without being clued up on how it is done and you would constantly be working to optimize the process. Your contracted assembler isn't, they want more money not less through efficiency.

The only part I think would be currently difficult is chip and mainboard. Perhaps if you could take a huge step and take FPGA to the next level you could make a sort of future proof production. More likely ad I designed a decade plus ago you have a standard module, that module powers your phone product and up, all the same. If you scale to desktop and server you chain them.

That way everything you make is one thing just in different form factors/purposes. I think we will see this from Apple within 5 years.
  • Reply 89 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solongjoe View Post

I ordered the basic black 16 gb wifi. I also ordered the blue poly cover but they tried to deliver to my office on Saturday then was supposed to redeliver today but no sign of it when I left! Tracking number for cover appeared by end of day Friday, then tracking number for iPad showed up on Saturday.

Hmm. From my straw poll on a few other sites, it looks like the 16GB models may be shipping earlier than the rest. Purely anecdotal, though.

My cover and AV adapter have been sitting on Lantau Island for the past couple of days. I hope they get a chance to go see the giant buddha statue while they're in the area. It's very impressive.
  • Reply 90 of 97
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syracuse View Post

I was just talking to an Apple employee and he said in their pre-opening morning meeting, HQ said over 1MM IPad 2s have been sold so far. I'd expect an announcement by Apple today or would discount what that employee said.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this were the case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syracuse View Post

As far as the smart covers go, Red and Blue leather are selling out and Orange poly selling well. I wonder what the margins are in these covers?

I was wondering when someone would point that out. The margins on those smart covers must be huge, much more than on the iPad - that is the genius of it all.

I passed on the Apple case when I got my original iPad, opting for a much cheaper (but uglier) aftermarket one. When I upgrade to the iPad 2, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a smart cover, possibly in leather.
  • Reply 91 of 97
    [deleted by commenter]
  • Reply 92 of 97
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Browsing is absolutely blazing fast compared to the first iPad.

I'm not trying to put down the iPad 2, but I wonder how much of this is due to the improvements in iOS 4.3?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Quantitatively, it's not that much lighter, but it is enough of a difference to breach threshold...you will notice it immediately, and welcome it. It is also much, much more comfortable to hold.

That's great to hear. My only complaint about the original iPad was the weight/holding comfort. I'm glad to hear that the iPad 2 is improved in this regard, even if on paper it may not appear to be that much of an improvement.
  • Reply 93 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

found a Target in NYC in a not so good neighborhood.. walked out 5:45pm with a white 64gb wifi...had to pay cash.

You walk around with that much cash in a "not so good" neighborhood?
  • Reply 94 of 97
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post

Actually, your comments demonstrate how little you know about Apple's supply chain. Apple only get flash drives from Japan and the factory was unaffected by the the recent events. Congratulations, you just stumbled into letting everyone know what you don't know. Get catch phrases in your post though, but utter rubbish.

Funny how all these stories are now coming out about how Apple's supply chain is being disrupted by events in Japan. Mate, you clearly don't know your arse from a hole in the ground. You come on here, slag someone off and accuse them of being ignorant when they know a damn sight more than you do. Then you are proven wrong time and again.

Apple's lead times are increasing through a constraint on components from Japan. This is regardless of demand levels.
  • Reply 95 of 97
    elle55elle55 Posts: 1member
    Is it safe to pick up an iPad 2 on eBay or do you risk getting scammed?
  • Reply 96 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIA View Post

I'm not trying to put down the iPad 2, but I wonder how much of this is due to the improvements in iOS 4.3?

I think every conparison I've seen had both models on v4.3.
  • Reply 97 of 97
    I ordered two 32gb 3G models on Saturday. Confirmation email from Apple says April 28 for delivery.