Apple rethinks inventory management for iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    felmanfelman Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What are the silver balls?

They are the new display for the MacBook Air. They act as helium balloons carpet and in the middle of the display you have a MBA suspended by one other balloon, meaning it's super light.

The rest of the balloons are probably hooked to HPs...
  • Reply 62 of 91
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

WHA?!?!

I don't know about you but I don't sign anything when I buy an iPad. What terms are you thinking they are violating?

Not sure where you buy your iPad or whatever Apple product you buy but you do sign something with all the Terms of Agreement implied, as indicated in the Apple website. This is formalized further when you turn on the Apple product for the first time..

There is indeed a standing policy to limit two purchases per person at a time. There are ways around that though, like bringing a friend or family members.

The limit is there to minimize buyers who then send them abroad. However, even this has been circumvented by these professional buyers by using street and poor people to front for them. The latter has been documented, and Apple Stores in large cities, like NYC, have got into trouble (PR wise, as well as the NY Attorney General's Office) when they tried to "challenge" the credentials of the front buyers.

There were quite a lot of Asian buyers during the Friday launch of the iPad2, that is even much higher than the Asian population ratio of Metro Boston and also much higher than the normal racial mix that you would normally see during normal days. What is definite though is that there are more older people, and also Africian Americans buying the iPad2, aa well other Apple products. These are real though because you will find them in the One-to-One and tutorials, as well as the group seminars. And some among the group are becoming evangelizers of the iPad, among those who have not bought yet.

They are using the iPad and their Apple products (MacBook Pros and Air) to create electronic albums and videos from a lifetime of memories. One lady has about 10,000 photos, another brought really very old photos, and literally did not know much about iPhoto but was not hesitant to interrupt the "teacher" if she did not get what was being demoed. An older guy was doing the same thing, including sending those photoalbums to his ex-wife who he stated to still have good relations with. The Apple products have become a way to bond families and relived people's lives and share these experiences.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Only poor people and people who live in the ghetto use cash only, in my opinion.

Ridiculous statement.

In the US, this is very true. Even in stores, you seldom find people paying in cash. You will find people paying with food coupons plus cash -- an indication that they were among those with "federal subsidy".

CGC
  • Reply 63 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Ridiculous statement.

I liked your earlier comment, almost quoted it. Anyway, I think he doesn't get out much. He's on the computer pretty much all day, posting here 25 times per, or so.
  • Reply 64 of 91
    Speaking of inventory, did anyone order online in the first hours and has gotten any shipment notification yet?

3rd business day and nothing yet for me. I ordered a white 3G 64GB AT&T....
  • Reply 65 of 91
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Another reason America is being left behind the rest of the world.

Talk about a step backwards. There is no such move happening in the rest of the world. Debit Cards are used in preference to cash, with no charges and no debt created. It's a more responsible way of managing your money, rather than running up debts that you don't have the funds to cover.

If you are responsible in managing your money, then it doesn't matter whether it's debit or credit card that you use. You'll know you can cover the purchase before you made it. For truely responsible people, using credit card is always the preferred method because it gives you 1 month interest free loan (as responsible people pay off credit card in full each month), consolidate bill payment, potential rewards, and much, much better consumer protection features.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    Quote:

Yeah, I remember that news story. I still think that they should do it again. If somebody doesn't have a credit card in this day and age, then too bad for them. What's the point of even being on the internet if you don't have a credit card? Is that woman going to run to the news again because she wasn't able to order from Amazon with cash?

At the very least, they can have a credit card only policy for the first month or two.

I think your being enough of a jerk to people with less money than you(or poor credit rating) that I wish apple would just sell to the scalpers first.

Scalpers are taking advantage of the situation- unfair something must be done!

People with a poor credit score don't have a chance to buy an iPad- f@&k em.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I think your being enough of a jerk to people with less money than you(or poor credit rating) that I wish apple would just sell to the scalpers first.

Not to sound like a hard ass, but I think people with poor enough credit to not have a credit card shouldn't really buy an iPad in the first place. For those people who deliberately CHOOSE to not have a credit card for some reason, most of them shouldn't really buy an iPad either because of the exact reason they choose to not have the credit card.
  • Reply 68 of 91
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

One stupid comment deserves another.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Not to sound like a hard ass, but I think people with poor enough credit to not have a credit card shouldn't really buy an iPad in the first place. For those people who deliberately CHOOSE to not have a credit card for some reason, most of them shouldn't really buy an iPad either because of the exact reason they choose to not have the credit card.

That's stupid. So now people who choose not to rack up mounds of consumer debt shouldn't be allowed to buy anything. I JUST CAN'T!

It doesn't even make sense from a business perspective for Apple. Credit cards are more expensive than debit cards for Apple. When people use debit cards the bank actually pays the fees on that transaction and not the vendor. Additionally, there is the issue of Apple could be screwed out of merchandise with a credit card transaction.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

That's stupid. So now people who choose not to rack up mounds of consumer debt shouldn't be allowed to buy anything. I JUST CAN'T!

If you are so concerned about not racking up debt, iPad isn't something you should buy. It's really a WANT product, not a NEED product. So even if it's a nice product, you shouldn't be buying it, at least not at the initial stage where a purchase limit is warranted.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:

If you are so concerned about not racking up debt, iPad isn't something you should buy. It's really a WANT product, not a NEED product. So even if it's a nice product, you shouldn't be buying it, at least not at the initial stage where a purchase limit is warranted.

Please if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be putting it on credit. The fact that you have to borrow to buy means you do not have the money. Who are you to tell someone what they need and don't need. If we were to go by that logic, I would argue laptops are a want product and that all most people really need is a decent tablet device. Just shut up now because you sound crazy.
  • Reply 72 of 91
    Quote:

One stupid comment deserves another.

Good call I have to say. I guess when I see people with what I see as a pretty sh!tty and self righteous attitude I sometimes can't resist doing the same.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    Quote:

Please if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be putting it on credit. The fact that you have to borrow to buy means you do not have the money. Who are you to tell someone what they need and don't need. If we were to go by that logic, I would argue laptops are a want product and that all most people really need is a decent tablet device. Just shut up now because you sound crazy.

Who said anything about borrowing to pay for the iPad? All I'm saying is the reason that cause you to not have a credit card is most likely a good reason you shouldn't get an iPad in the first place, at least not when the product is brand new, and people are staying in line to get it.

And by my logic, tablet device is a WANT product because pencile, eraser, and a paper pad can do 90% of what a tablet can do for you. The other 10% you could probably do it on a publically available computer in a library.

And you should learn to get some manner and reading skills.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Quote:

Who said anything about borrowing to pay for the iPad? All I'm saying is the reason that cause you to not have a credit card is most likely a good reason you shouldn't get an iPad in the first place, at least not when the product is brand new, and people are staying in line to get it.

And by my logic, tablet device is a WANT product because pencile, eraser, and a paper pad can do 90% of what a tablet can do for you. The other 10% you could probably do it on a publically available computer in a library.

And you should learn to get some manner and reading skills.

Go educate yourself and come back. I can't believe someone thinks that putting something on a credit card isn't borrowing money.
  • Reply 75 of 91
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Agreed. Given their druthers, Apple would undoubtedly prefer to receive cash payments, as the transaction costs are much lower. Don't forget that roughly between 2% and 3% of the CC sale goes to the processor. There's also the relatively small risk of credit card fraud as well. If someone buys an iPad on a stolen card, there's little Apple can do to prevent the loss if they didn't catch it at the point of sale.

I think there's a very significant chance Apple would prefer to never touch cash if they could help it. Unlike you or me, dealing with cash costs money. They have to pay a store manager to take it to the bank after hours, they have to worry about counterfeit bills, employee theft, etc. They have to have cash registers, instead of just those nifty little iPod touch sleds. Customers have to come to the front desk to pay rather than just handing their CC to a sales associate...

I know that fraud, interchange fees, etc. make accepting CC payments non-free, but accepting cash isn't free either. It may, in fact, be more expensive than CC payments.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

This is just plain false. The only law in the US is that the store must accept payment in US dollars, but doesn't specify whether the payment must be in bills, change, credit, debit, etc.

Don't you love it when people make things up?

I wonder what the OP would make of the credit-only tolls that are on all the new toll roads?
  • Reply 77 of 91
    Quote:

Maybe, Apple doesn't seem to care too much about it apparently.

It seems like you are trying to defend people who are gaming the system.

Let's say I won the lotto and I'm filthy rich by the time the iPad3 comes out, I should hire 1000 people to stand in line for days and buy out the entire stock of a few Apple stores, and then go on to make a nice profit from that. That would be no different than what the current scalpers are doing, and I assume that you would be defending my actions then right?

Buying as many as you want and can afford of something that is legally for sale is not gaming the system, buddy.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

I think there's a very significant chance Apple would prefer to never touch cash if they could help it. Unlike you or me, dealing with cash costs money. They have to pay a store manager to take it to the bank after hours, they have to worry about counterfeit bills, employee theft, etc. They have to have cash registers, instead of just those nifty little iPod touch sleds. Customers have to come to the front desk to pay rather than just handing their CC to a sales associate...

I know that fraud, exchange fees, etc. make accepting CC payments non-free, but accepting cash isn't free either. It may, in fact, be more expensive than CC payments.

Debit cards are the cheapest solution for a vendor. That's why I use the debit card option whenever I can because the bank pays the debit card fees if you use the debit card option on your debit card and not the vendor. The apple store in Dallas does not accept cash. I tried to pay with cash once and got turned away.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Quote:

Go educate yourself and come back. I can't believe someone thinks that putting something on a credit card isn't borrowing money.

go get an education yourself. Or better yet, learn how to manage money. Plenty of people, people who know how to manage money, put purchase on credit card. No, they are not racking up debts, because they are smart enough to pay it off at end of the month. Thereby getting a free 1 month loan, plus getting the consumer protection features that your debit card and cash doesn't have.

And you still missed the point I was making. Nowhere did I say anything about whether it was financially prudent to buy an iPad on Credit card, that's not the point. The point was, if you think requiring a credit card as condition for buying iPad is unnecessarily restrictive because some people don't have a credit card, then you really shouldn't, because the reason those people don't have a credit card is probably also a good reason they shouldn't buy an iPad at this time anyway. E.g. People with poor credit score who can't get a credit card shouldn't buy an expensive nonessential item. People who don't want to incurr debt shouldn't buy expensive nonessential item at full retail while standing in the line. People who are paranoid about using credit card shouldn't buy something that can let government track you. etc. etc.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

How about being able to purchase via iTunes? It would be offered on a country by country basis to sync with the planned launch.

Also, prioritize sale according to how long a user has been in the iTunes ecosystem. To prevent possible privacy violation, it would only be based on months, not individual users. Older users get priority, but only if they act fast, otherwise, the next in queue gets a shot until inventory runs out.

This would be in addition to online and retail offerings.

The current system shafts the legitimate user base big time.

What makes a long time iTunes user more of a legitimate user than a new one?

Look at that from Apple's perspective. Let's see - we have on the one hand someone who had bought Apple products for years and will most likely wait as long as it takes to get an iPad. On the other hand, we have a few Apple user who, if he can't get an iPad, may very well buy a Xoom instead. Which one should we help buy an iPad quickly?

Watch what you wish for when you start asking that businesses discriminate against potential buyers. You might just find that you're not one of their highest priorities. Then you'll howl bloody murder, and especially at the fact that you took the whole day off to wait in line only to be told that all the iPads have been sold to more important customers.

First come, first served. One sale per human customer. No person counts as only 3/5ths of a person. PERIOD.