Apple rethinks inventory management for iPad 2

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Buying as many as you want and can afford of something that is legally for sale is not gaming the system, buddy.

Yeah, scalpers are decent, upstanding people. I don't know if you already have an iPad2 or if you even plan on getting one. But if you don't have one already, then hopefully there are at least 100 of them in front of you on line if you go to get one, since you don't have any problem with them. And hopefully the Apple store only has 99 iPads to sell on that particular day.

And if Apple has a rule that says 2 per person, then violating that is indeed cheating and gaming the system at the expense of others.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

There is indeed a standing policy to limit two purchases per person at a time. There are ways around that though, like bringing a friend or family members.

That's my point. 10 people each buying 2, even if they are agents of a single other person, doesn't violate any policy. Nor should it.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

If you are so concerned about not racking up debt, iPad isn't something you should buy. It's really a WANT product, not a NEED product. So even if it's a nice product, you shouldn't be buying it, at least not at the initial stage where a purchase limit is warranted.

Jesus. This explains why the world is becoming so much less free. What's up with people who think they can tell other people what to do all the time?!?
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, scalpers are decent, upstanding people. I don't know if you already have an iPad2 or if you even plan on getting one. But if you don't have one already, then hopefully there are at least 100 of them in front of you on line if you go to get one, since you don't have any problem with them. And hopefully the Apple store only has 99 iPads to sell on that particular day.

And if Apple has a rule that says 2 per person, then violating that is indeed cheating and gaming the system at the expense of others.

The only reason scalpers aren't decent, upstanding people (often) is because the law made what they do illegal, so only people willing to break the law generally do it. But if you really think the concept of buying something valuable, for less than you know it's worth, and selling it later for more than you bought it for is a bad thing, then I guess you don't invest in the stock market, right?

I'm shocked anyone thinks that a ticket scalper is a criminal. I guess that's what happens when you don't understand elementary economics.

As far as violating the 2 per person rule - if anyone walks out of the store with 3, they are violating the rule. If 10 people walk out with 2 and give them to one person, that is in no way a violation of Apple's rule (which makes sense, because if it was, Apple would not allow those shoppers to buy).
  • Reply 85 of 91
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You're not serious - debit cards are becoming the de facto payment standard in the world (maybe except the US?) and do not have (and never will have) any transaction limit except for the balance of your account.) Those of us with money would rather not create debt unnecessarily.

I actually am serious. You can thank financial reform for that. Currently banks receive 44 cents on interchange fees for debit card purchases. Now with financial reform, they are now going to be capped at 12 cents. That will remove 16 billion in extra income for the banks, so they are going to limit their losses by capping debit card purchases. So far only two banks are heavily considering it, Chase and Bank of America. Now is this guaranteed to happen? No, but it's very possible:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/15/news...ying/index.htm
  • Reply 86 of 91
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It would work better than cash. It would be much harder for the organized, group buying of iPads, where a whole bunch of people are in line, buying up iPads with somebody else's cash and being directed by a sleazy ring leader.

THey could just not take cash or pre paid debit cards.

Despite any bad PR it is totally legal for Apple to restrict forms of payment. Hell it might be legal for them to require a photo ID and to record numbers in a system and cut you off after two. Even if it is grey area they might try.

In the end, I still maintain that they should switch to a no walk in system. From day one. Reservations only and send them out scaled to what the store can handle in a day. yeah it means that some folks will have to wait a few more days but really if you know when your day is and that for sure it will be there that seems like a way better move.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hot View Post

They tried this already... here's what happened: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ide&id=7447037

The only reason the woman got anything was cause of the PR issue. There were tons of folks that didn't go screaming to the press that didn't get to buy with cash or get a free case even.

And despite the station trying to make it sound like they got Apple to reverse the rule I suspect it was simply that the scalpers were either sated or the international roll out was kicking up so the big market was gone as was the need to be concerned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syracuse View Post

Just went to the Apple store in Santa Monica, 15mins after opening, and they sold all of their IPad 2s that they received last night. I asked for details, like how many they sold, what time did people get in line, would they have more in the next few days? I got the same answer for all my questions "We are SOLD OUT". It was a little cold, but it sounds like they have been instructed to say the same thing to every customer that wants one.

Of course that is what they have been told to do. You could be a reporter and they are not allowed to give you details (at the risk of their jobs). Or you could be a thief trying to find out when to be there to try to rob the trucks.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    Removed.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I had an employee at an apple store yesterday tell me that they know exactly how much of what model they are getting days ahead of time, but they dont share the information because they want lines every day and in his/her words, they are worried about robbery attempts on fedex trucks...

Hey Apple, SHIP INTERNET ORDERS IN LESS THAN A MONTH OR TWO and you wouldn't have these issues.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinaddy View Post

Many debit cards have spending limits. Mine has a $500/day cash limit and $1000K/day purchase limit and I have excellent credit. It's just the bank's policy.

Mine is $6000 f#$k the bank's "policy" it's my money and I asked them for access at a level that suits me.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    I got to the Apple store today at 5:30 AM. Don't laugh, I wanted an IPad. Okay?

I was sixth in line. At 8 AM a employee came out and said they only had black 16 Gb wireless and if you wanted something else you should leave. Some left and the line was down to fifty.

At 9 AM they started to invite customers inside to purchase. Again I was sixth in line and they sold out with the person in front of me.

If they only had seven or eight units why did they keep fifty people waining in line?

It is a total disregard for the customer and this kind of attitude will come back to bite.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    I have purchased several things from the Dallas Apple store with cash.

I did have one problem a couple of years ago when they wouldn't sell me a cable without providing personal information (i.e. name, address).

Cash has never been a problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

. The apple store in Dallas does not accept cash. I tried to pay with cash once and got turned away.