Improved antenna, 4-inch screen, NFC e-wallet rumored for Apple's iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

You went from not knowing any to backing up my point with a category example. Why does the percentage matter when we're talking about Apple's UI. This isn't Motorola. Can you really see Apple changing their display size and saying, "Meh, it's good enough. So why if some elements are off."? I certainly can't. It's ther UI they seem to put the most attention to detail so why would just not bother all of a sudden?

The rulers are in a few apps that do measurements, I have a couple, and it's not in the UI, but can be called up as a function. I don't know of any that rely on absolute sizing of the screen for the UI, though I suppose in the 360,000 apps out there, there could be a handful that do. Those that need it would update, as I mentioned before. That's certainly no reason why Apple wouldn't put a slightly larger screen in. I've got over 230 apps on my phone, and an additional 250 on my iPad. I get a dozen updates almost every day, and many more when Apple updates the OS. It's no excuse to use sizing to deny the possibility of Apple moving to a slightly bigger screen, with the benefits it would bring.

The only reasons why I could see Apple not doing this would be if they had to make the phone too much bigger and heavier, and it cut battery life down too much. If those aren't a problem, and Apple got a screen with the quality they want of they new type, at the price they need to pay, I can see them going for it.

With the iPad, we can see that the screen is everything they want us to notice. They even cut down slightly on the bezel this time, though I find it marginally harder to hold because of that. My thumb hits the screen slightly more often. So I can certainly see them going for a bigger screen for the iPhone and the Touch.

Another reason would be gaming. And here, companies might do some reworking of the UI, making the buttons smaller in pixels, so that they cover less screen area. That's a benefit that gamers, such as my daughter would be very happy about, as one of her biggest gripes is that the controls take up too much room.
  • Reply 62 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I don't believe the 4 inch rumor. Apple isn't going to change the height/width ratio of the screen. I think at most the display will change from a 2" x 3" to a 2 1/8" x 3 3/16". Update: making it a 3.831 inch screen, not a 4 inch screen.

Why on earth did you propose those particular punctilious measurements--are they derived from the DaVinci code or perhaps the precise length you're pulling our collective legs ?
  • Reply 63 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Any web apps that rely on CSS for sizing will also need to be rejiggered. BTW, let me just go on record as being very against web apps that lock you into a fixed UI and do not allow you to pinch zoom. I much prefer a well made standard web site that can be zoomed scrolled sideways etc to a purposefully made iPhone web app. The AI rev.2 is improved over the original iPhone version at least.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about any web apps. There are at least a dozen different screen sizes in use now, with a dozen different resolutions. Often those resolutions are higher on smaller screens, and lower on larger screens. Somehow, those apps seem to work with most of them.
  • Reply 64 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Apple surely researched this screen size as much as they research the iPad's screen size. Based on consumer response in both cases, their extensive research seems to have led them to the right design choices. Regarding the iPhone though, after so much time in the market with the same screen size, and absent consumer or developer outcry for a larger screen, I'm just understanding the timing of increasing the screen size now.

Plus, the iPhone just had a major design overhaul with the introduction of the iPhone 4. If Apple was going to increase the screen size to address documented consumer or developer, or even manufacturing, concerns, why wouldn't have such a change been introduced last summer?

Apple doesn't do arbitrary, as the Professor duly noted. Larger is fine (if that's really what Apple's doing), but I be curious to know Apple's rationale.

I'm sure Apple did their research. But what they did was tempered by what was available at the time. Why, after three models, did they go to a retina screen? Was it really needed in such a small device? Wasn't what they had good enough? After all, they did all that research in the beginning. Wasn't the fact that they had it for three models proof they wouldn't be changing it?

Of course not! They used the screen they did, because when it came out, it was one of the largest screens on a smartphone, except for some WinMobile models which really needed large, high Rez screen for that screwed up UI. It was also one of the highest Rez screens out there.

So the iPhone had one of the biggest, highest Rez displays at the time. Now, when other manufacturers began to have phones with higher Rez displays, what did Apple do? Did they sit back and say, well, you know, we did all that research, and it showed that all we need is a 480 x 320 screen. no, they didn't. They went ahead, and as soon as the retina display became available at the right price, and could be made in large enough numbers, they went for it. So now they can brag, as they do, that the iPhone has the highest screen Rez (except for one small Chinese company that also uses the same Rez screen).

Almost every review I read these days says that the iPhone screen seems small. So do people here really think that Apple will allow that to be an issue? I doubt it. I look at some Android phones some people have, and the screens are enormous in comparison. I can only imagine that Apple has all of these phones, and it looking at them too.

While we don't know if any of these pictures of new iPhone are real, and we don't know if Apple will be coming out with a bigger screen, I can't think of a single reasonable thing that would prevent them from doing it other than a lack of product, or price.
  • Reply 65 of 128
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My guess is that the screen will remain the same but that the phone will be marginally smaller. Thinner, narrower and possibly shorter. Same amazing screen but inside an even smaller phone!

This wouldn't surprise me...though I'm not certain how comfortable it would be for me. My hands are larger than average (I'm a tall guy). I owned a "Vapor" case for a week before getting my money back (it destroyed reception...pass the word). I absolutely loved how much more substantial the phone felt in my hand. I'll admit, however, that large hands don't necessarily mean a preference for a larger phone. My ideal size would be the Streak...but nothing really compares to the iphone.
  • Reply 66 of 128
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FroDoh View Post

Why on earth did you propose those particular punctilious measurements--are they derived from the DaVinci code or perhaps the precise length you're pulling our collective legs ?

I believe the answers you seek can be found here: 42
  • Reply 67 of 128
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    At risk of being a complete pedant I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out the glaringly obvious typo in the article headline:

A new report from a Far East newspaper reiterates rumors that Apple will sell a next-generation "iPhone 5" this summer with an improved antenna design, a larger 4-inch display, and integrated near-field communications ship for wireless e-wallet transactions.

Not wishing to needlessly derogate from the thrust of the article but I was just itching for a reason to make my first post after being a reader only for quite some time.

Onto other matters....I have never yet bought an iPhone but will probably get the iPhone 5 when it comes out. The only trouble is that I am currently living in Thailand and the release of Apple products here is typically months behind that of the US and the UK....although I was quite surprised that the latest MBP was available here pretty much a few days after the announcement a couple of weeks ago and already available in the town where I live (Hua Hin)..perhaps the proximity to China means they can be physically shipped and stocked on the shelves relatively quickly.

Anyway, nice to make my first post (admittedly after a few beers!) :-)

[MBP 13" 2010]
  • Reply 68 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm sure Apple did their research. But what they did was tempered by what was available at the time. Why, after three models, did they go to a retina screen? Was it really needed in such a small device? Wasn't what they had good enough? After all, they did all that research in the beginning. Wasn't the fact that they had it for three models proof they wouldn't be changing it? Of course not! They used the screen they did, because when it came out, it was one of the largest screens on a smartphone, except for some WinMobile models which really needed large, high Rez screen for that screwed up UI. It was also one of the highest Rez screens out there.

I wasn't implying that the designers at Apple should sit on their laurels and no one's suggesting that Apple has ever been a "good enough" company. Increasing screen rez is almost a given in nearly any situation (e.g., makes thing clearer, easier to see or read, etc.). But with screen size, bigger isn't automatically better. Your arguments for increasing it are solid, however; I'm not arguing with you there. I'd just like to hear something a little more concrete about the reasons for the change? IF it happens.
  • Reply 69 of 128
    Quote:

Fair enough. And a slightly larger screen, for those reasons, shouldn't be objectionable to most people. It's the Professor's reasoning that comes immediately to my mind as well, and gives me pause on this idea...

I think I agree. I'm not sure enough to say it definitely isn't happening but I don't see the reasoning, and I think it goes against what Apple typically seems to do.
  • Reply 70 of 128
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Finally, the report also indicated that the next iPhone will, as expected, include Apple's new dual-core, custom built A5 processor

lol you don't say ...
  • Reply 71 of 128
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

.....and no one I've ever met who uses iPhone 4 has ever even mentioned antenna problems to me, or dropping a call either.

Let me introduce myself.

I've had both the original iPhone and the 3GS. I could use these phones in every room, closet and corner of my house. I put off buying the 4 because of all the antenna hoopla, but by Christmas I figured maybe it wasn't all that so I bought one. As I was walking in my garage door coming from the mall, I got my first call on the 4. It dropped almost immediately. I've since learned that there are exactly two places in my house that I can use my iPhone 4 without dropping a call, upstairs in my loft and lying on my bed next to the window. I don't dare move from those two spots or the call drops.

I'm certain that it has to do with the lower signal that I get at my house since I don't think I've ever had a problem elsewhere, but the fact is that the iPhone 4's antenna doesn't perform as the original and 3GS did.
  • Reply 72 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I believe the answers you seek can be found here: 42

Is that you Marvin? Marvin?
  • Reply 73 of 128
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I've since learned that there are exactly two places in my house that I can use my iPhone 4 without dropping a call, upstairs in my loft and lying on my bed next to the window.

Sounds perfect
  • Reply 74 of 128
    Quote:

I wasn't implying that the designers at Apple should sit on their laurels and no one's suggesting that Apple has ever been a "good enough" company. Increasing screen rez is almost a given in nearly any situation (e.g., makes thing clearer, easier to see or read, etc.). But with screen size, bigger isn't automatically better. Your arguments for increasing it are solid, however; I'm not arguing with you there. I'd just like to hear something a little more concrete about the reasons for the change? IF it happens.

I do believe that larger is better when it comes to a small screen. One problem is that people make more mistakes typing, and do so more slowly. A slightly bigger screen will help that without a doubt. Even a very slightly larger screen will help. Same thing with reading some of the very small type I now get on my 4. It will be easier to tap a link in the browser, as it will be slightly larger and better spaced.

There are no negatives about larger screen sizes. The only problems are unrelated to it directly. Problems, should they exist, are battery usage from the slightly larger backlight. Weight, size. If Apple can solve those, there are no issues.
  • Reply 75 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think I agree. I'm not sure enough to say it definitely isn't happening but I don't see the reasoning, and I think it goes against what Apple typically seems to do.

You're not giving any good reasons though. All you're saying is that for some reason, it's not Apple, which makes no sense, and that YOU don't see why it should be done. Neither are real reasons.
  • Reply 76 of 128
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

The new design LCD that allows the screen to almost reach from edge to edge will help. ...

A possible downside to an edge-to-edge screen is more inadvertent touch events being generated. I'm not entirely convinced it's a good idea.
  • Reply 77 of 128
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I love Apple and their products, but Whiskey Foxtrot Tango can't they build a plant here in the USA and make products here? Think of all the jobs, stimulation to local economies, and shipping savings, for starters.

Anywho, if those specs are true, I'll sell my IP4 and get the 5.
  • Reply 78 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I love Apple and their products, but Whiskey Foxtrot Tango can't they build a plant here in the USA and make products here? Think of all the jobs, stimulation to local economies, and shipping savings, for starters.

Anywho, if those specs are true, I'll sell my IP4 and get the 5.

Who is going to buy these American made products? Surely not the people that have destroyed American manufacturing by choosing not to buy American. At least with Apple (and some other companies) the majority of the profit comes back to the US.

Have you considered how much extra it would cost to produce all this HW in the US? Have you considered how much you?d be willing to pay for these items? Have you considered that even if you are willing to spend 5, 10 or 15x more for a product that you are not the average buyer looking for a ?deal?? Have you considered that even if the actual production of the device occurs on US soil that there are many components built and/or designed from a dozen countries around the world that are all getting a piece of this American produced product?
  • Reply 79 of 128
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    3D works best when its an expansive experience filling your full field of vision. I think 3D on anything smaller than a 30 foot screen is pointless.

3D on a 3-4 inch screen is an absurd gimmick.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Imagine iPhone 5 3d bundled with some of Disney/Pixar 3d content?

Or watching Avatar in 3d.

Or recording/viewing 3d photos and videos?

Or facetime in 3d?

• Reply 80 of 128
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I doubt a couple of mm would make you run to another manufacturer.

A couple of mm is a lot. The iPhone 4 is as wide as I want it to be. A few mil wider would encourage me not to upgrade. Heck, it would stop me upgrading. Then again, I tend to be a particular kind of person. I know what I want.