Improved antenna, 4-inch screen, NFC e-wallet rumored for Apple's iPhone 5

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What if your credit card is lost or stolen? Or the number, as happened to me just the other day in England? Same problem.

I don't think new ways of doing things should be assumed based on the old ways of doing things. You've seen how these things play out. We thought it was secure except under an unforeseen circumstance where its not.

There should be clear and definite answers to these questions for people to feel comfortable in adopting them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

People seem to overlook these simple and common ways to access your account. At least with NFC in a smartphone there are ways to protect (E.g.: passcode), track (E.g.: GPS/Find My iPhone), and erase (E.g.: Find My iPhone) your account info in ways that make it inherently more secure than handing a plastic card with a magnetic strip and emboldened numbers to a person making near minimum wage with little to lose.

We've been using plastic cards with magnetic strips for decades now. Its a well known system.

Sending a wireless signal from my phone with direct access to my bank account is a new paradigm. While I do see the advantages of it. I'm not of a mind to assume its automatically "better" or "secure" simply because its new.
  • Reply 122 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't think new ways of doing things should be assumed based on the old ways of doing things. You've seen how these things play out. We thought it was secure except under an unforeseen circumstance where its not.

There should be clear and definite answers to these questions for people to feel comfortable in adopting them.

We've been using plastic cards with magnetic strips for decades now. Its a well known system.

Sending a wireless signal from my phone with direct access to my bank account is a new paradigm. While I do see the advantages of it. I'm not of a mind to assume its automatically "better" or "secure" simply because its new.

I understand your position, but this isn’t a “it’s new, I want it, everything else sucks” interest in NFC. It’s been tested and used a while and the technology is well known.

To put it briefly, NFC uses a very short range closed loop system to handshake and send data. It’s not like sending WiFi or Bluetooth. When I say very short range, I’m talking less than 8”. This inherent security feature makes it very difficult to steal your data, though not impossible as no security is foolproof.

edit:
    Quote:

How does NFC work?

Near Field Communication is a short-range high frequency wireless communication technology that enables the exchange of data between devices up to 20 centimeters apart. The technology combines the functionality of intelligent keys and NFC readers, enabling easy access to various services. NFC-enabled devices may support both active and passive modes:

Active – Both the target and the initiator can communicate with one another by alternate signal transmission

Passive – The initiator is powered by the target's electromagnetic field, therefore does not need any power supply

NFC operates at 13.56 MHz and transfers data at up to 424 Kbits/second. Devices that support NFC are unable to simultaneously send and receive data.

Now imagine that you have to enter your phone’s optional passcode number to access the app and then an optional passcode to allow the phone to initiate the NFC-based transaction. That is more secure than a plastic card could ever be.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I understand your position, but this isn?t a ?it?s new, I want it, everything else sucks? interest in NFC. It?s been tested and used a while and the technology is well known.

I mean it would be new to the US. It would be new to our cultural practices. Its difficult to predict all of the variables. Its difficult to know for sure how it will change things. Difficult to know how creative any criminal element that may want to take advantage of it will respond.

Its not my intention to dismiss the technology outright. I think its a great idea. I would like to use it. I'm just being the voice of caution.

Quote:

Now imagine that you have to enter your phone?s optional passcode number to access the app and then an optional passcode to allow the phone to initiate the NFC-based transaction. That is more secure than a plastic card could ever be.

I agree......
  • Reply 124 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I would think that a lot of work is being put into this. As we see with credit cards, we're not responsible for money spent on the card if it's stolen. I can't imagine this wouldn't be implemented the same way.

Quote:

That's true. But I wouldn't assume it's any less secure either. After all, we use out credit cards over the Internet, and we let waiters and other people take them out of our sight.
  • Reply 125 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's true. But I wouldn't assume it's any less secure either. After all, we use out credit cards over the Internet, and we let waiters and other people take them out of our sight.

We really aren?t that secure with our cards. I have one CC that gives me points and only has a $500 limit on it. I use this specifically to pay for things on the internet and when traveling. I pay it off constantly, sometimes daily, by sending a money transfer from my bank to the card. It affords me a little extra security in the case that the card is stolen but it?s not really necessary as a phone call would get the card canceled and my funds returned immediately.
  • Reply 126 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hugh Jarse View Post

I am skipping the upgrade of my iPad to an iPad 2 to fund an iPhone 5, so am hoping it will be worth it

Well, I will definitely be skipping the upgrade of my iPad to iPad 2 (guess I am still petty about how quickly my newish toy gotten obsolete). Definitely planning to upgrade my iPhone 3 \ to the iPhone 5 when it's launched! Many times I feel very "cheated" for being so "prompt" with my apple purchases - am I the only one?
  • Reply 127 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wanting View Post

Well, I will definitely be skipping the upgrade of my iPad to iPad 2 (guess I am still petty about how quickly my newish toy gotten obsolete). Definitely planning to upgrade my iPhone 3 \ to the iPhone 5 when it's launched! Many times I feel very "cheated" for being so "prompt" with my apple purchases - am I the only one?

Well, we know that these devices will be upgraded every year. I don't understand how you could feel petty about it. Feel worse about other companies devices. We're already reading that the Xoom may be discontinued in June, in favor of a newer model that's being rushed out.

Actually, Apple has been criticized for not updating their phones, and now the iPad, more frequently than once a year.
  • Reply 128 of 128
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

I think the last US mounted cavalry unit ceased operation in the late 20's. Better things came years before, although it took some time for the more rigid thinkers to accept them.

The EU generally stopped using magstripe cards years ago. NFC security is borrowed from smartcard security. There are different options, one of which involves a form a public key encryption. Nothing is infallible, but that is about as secure as you can hope to achieve. The usage model of NFC is basically identical to smartcard, just contactless. Not a big deal -- if credit companies start issuing contact or contactless smartcards, people aren't stupid and will figure it out quickly. But no-one wants to do anything new unless it is required. The thing is, the credit companies should have been issuing smartcards long ago, but US government policies make it easy for them to write-off fraud expenses.