Despite Apple suit, Amazon Appstore for Android debuts with free Angry Birds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Wrong Wrong!

It is an Android app store. Apple cant lose one sale to that as Apple doesnt sell a device that runs Android apps.

FYI: I agree they shouldnt be allowed to call it an appstore. Apple wouldnt be allowed to sell their operating system as Apple windows X

or someone label their drink "The Amazon Coke-a-Cola, the other softdrink"

But Amazon sells everything under the sun... Macs, PC's, Zunes, iPods, etc. It's so PC Mac intertwined... So if some former PC user buys an iPod Touch from Amazon and then goes to their App Store... It's bound to happen with someone!
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amazon has pushed forward to launch its Amazon store in the face of a new lawsuit from Apple. Filed last week, the complaint accuses Amazon of violating the "App Store" trademark for which Apple has applied.

It's like the saying goes; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh poor Google, they want so much to be just like Apple.

I take it that you don't really read the whole news, it is Amazon, not Google..
  • Reply 24 of 59
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I hope Apple wins. Amazon was awarded that obvious patent for a one click purchasing button. Apple licensed it when it could have fought and probably won.

I do not recall the use of app store being used by anybody for commercial purposes prior to Apple. In any event, Apple made the term famous. Apple will win if Apple can show when people her the term they think of Apple. That seems easy to prove to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Apple doesn't have THE App Store. They have AN App Store.

I hope the lawsuit gets shot down.

• Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

But aside from that, they should be left alone. They're store that sell 'apps'. They're app stores, all of them.

That is exactly what Apple don't want to happen, if Apple let this 'Amazon Appstore' slide away without a fight, then the term 'app store' (no matter how they write it) will become a generic description. Just like the Apple Insider news up there has said..

You said you understand Apple's POV, then you should know Apple have to file a complaint and fight back.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Behave Amazon... else apple will bring out an e-ink eBook and do it properly.

I just laugh hard, funny because it's actually true..
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

And who used app before Apple. It seems that everything from product to software to naming is copied from those who have no imagination or time to invest in originality.

Agree, no one ever think it's cool enough for commercial use, not until Apple made it popular. But now everyone want to name it that way.

Quote:

Most people see a link between App and Apple, App seemingly short for Apple. Now how cool is that.

So cool, that everyone want to name theirs like that too.

Wait, is this mean they want to be like Apple..?

Quote:

The complains and pleas for assistance with a product that is so third rate it brings tears to the eyes and speed to the feet that are returning them.

Now that's one cool phrase, acknowledged it, like it, want to copy it..
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Quote:

[B]Meanwhile, the eXoom is still incomplete and buggy. Check out the eXoom and Android sights. The complains and pleas for assistance with a product that is so third rate it brings tears to the eyes and speed to the feet that are returning them.

As the great philosopher Nelson say, ha ha!

For someone complaining about people actually READING the article, maybe you could explain your childish rant about the Xoom. I don't recall any mention of it in the article. It seems more like silly "my prick is bigger than your prick" fanboi/girl nonsense to me. (I'm guessing "eXoom" was your attempt at some clever word play.)

And only an idiot thinks "app" is short for "apple." The term "app" was generic in the IT field long before Apple used the term. Here's a few web page titles using it:

Apps Turn Your Computer Into a Powerful DVR - PCWorld 6/22/2006

Quantum Computer Running Another App singularity- You Tube 2/1313/2007

And here's a good one:

App Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia
  • Reply 29 of 59
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Let's see.

"App Store" is trademarked by Apple. Good. No one else should be allowed to use it. Let them come up with their own word.

Since "app" is shorthand for "application", I suggest Amazon do something similar and use the name "Appl Store" for their marketplace :-).

App is also a shortening of Apple, which is how many people view it.

How about Prog Market? Nobody would want that so Amazon would have it all to itself. Or, how about Amazon Market. Catchy. or Zonian Market? It would take some time and money to get it to be part of the vernacular, but could work.

How about Win Store for M$. Again, M$ would have it all to itself?

And how about Droid Closet or Droid Store or GoodWill Droid. More descriptive of what Android is all about?

And how about Google Stores or Google Market or Google 4 U or Google Vendor?

Thinking outside the box is Apple's game and that the others seem incapable of emulating.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Why do people say "App Store" is a generic term?

They who want to name their applications store that way, for example Microsoft and now Amazon.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    jmorjmor Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric Nanneman View Post

Is it me, or is the Test Drive feature NOWHERE to be found on the main page nor on any of the app pages. If this is such an amazing feature, why is it so hard to find?

Its not just you I can't find anything related to Test Drive. Can someone please point out the obvious
  • Reply 32 of 59
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

I guess ":-)" went right over your head.

A joke is so not funny when it has to be explained....
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:

When has "app" ever been actually used as a shortening of "apple?" Anywhere? By anyone?

Hey is that an App computer you've got?

Be sure to grab some Granny Smith apps while you're at the store.

Hey this sour app Jolly Rancher is really good!

App just held a press conference for the iPad 2.

nonsense...
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

However, with Mac App Store Apple said that trial versions were to be left on the developer?s website I have to think they have no inclination to include this option anytime soon.

I wonder what's Apple's reason to do so..?
  • Reply 35 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

And when those poor confused souls try to purchase and download the Amazon Appstore app only to discover it won't run on their iPhone, will there be a return / refund policy?
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Appstore =/= App Store

Amazon is using one (made up) word, Apple is using one made up word and a real word.

Reminds me of Microsofts bullying against a child (Mike Rowe) who registered the domain name mikerowesoft.com
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And when those poor confused souls try to purchase and download the Amazon Appstore app only to discover it won't run on their iPhone, will there be a return / refund policy?

The question is, where can one find all these 'poor confused souls'? Who in the right mind would actually go to Amazon's store, whether it's called "appstore" or not, to look for iOS apps?

As I've mentioned before, Apple should be able to keep the trademark "App Store", but to say that "Amazon appstore" is similar to Apple's "App Store" to the eyes of iOS users is a huge stretch. Amazon is a well known brand and I don't see any iOS user would confuse that with the iTunes App Store.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This has been my number one request for the App Store since day one. They already have the mechanism in place with movie and TV show rentals within the FairPlay DRM. All they have to do is allow the developer set whether they want to allow trial versions, and perhaps allow select duration time periods.

However, with Mac App Store Apple said that trial versions were to be left on the developer?s website I have to think they have no inclination to include this option anytime soon. I hope that isn?t the case.

I wonder if the extra download costs are a factor? When you listen to a sample of music, it's not actually downloading that much to you, and I assume the same with movie rentals (do they show you a clip), whereas a time limited app would involve downloading the whole thing.

Not sure if it's a big deal.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wrong. It will cost them all the sales of those confused enough to go to the Amazon app store instead of the Apple app store.

Err, how can they loose any sales. You buy the phone before you buy the app. If you have an iPhone you can only shop in the iTunes App Store, and if you have an android phone you can't.

Aside from the App Store argument, having a flick through the Amazon Appstore is actually a nice way to find apps and kind of highlights a lot of things Apple could have done with iTunes to make it better.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    sblifesblife Posts: 11member
    As a developer of 'gadget apps' (cheap apps with a few giggles) I can see where letting people test drive all day long would cause people to develop a 'drive by' mentality when assessing apps. Some apps have value that is not made apparent in a cursory glance. Others are just a quick bit of fun - Maybe some of us would like to think it over - read 200 reviews - download a test drive - download other test drives . . . dithering with some more reviews - Think some more . . . All before buying my .99¢ app -