Despite Apple suit, Amazon Appstore for Android debuts with free Angry Birds

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    rar745rar745 Posts: 3member
    There must be a justifiable reason why Apple didn't include anything like Test Drive in the App Store. It sure hasn't hurt sales any. But, yeah, the idea seems pretty useful.

So, here is the Amazon TEST DRIVE info... http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...1840#testdrive

( amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?&nodeId=200551840#testdrive )

And a quote from that webpage: "You can try many apps available in the Amazon Appstore for free on your computer." ... So not ALL apps will have Test Drive. And/or Test Drive may COST for other apps.

Another quote from that webpage: "The test drive feature requires Flash." ... Flash! Ho HO. Amazon is gesturing rudely to Apple as the Appstore tries to pass the App Store in the opposing lane.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Google? Google does nothing on this case

Ha ha Freudian slip ...
  • Reply 43 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rar745 View Post

Another quote from that webpage: "The test drive feature requires Flash."

*Flash! Ho HO. Amazon is gesturing rudely to Apple as the Appstore tries to pass the App Store in the opposing lane.*

Wow so I guess that means they didn't develop an Android simulator like Apple's Dev tool.

It looks like it would probably be up to the developer to also program a Flash demo of their app.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

I guess ":-)" went right over your head.

A joke is so not funny when it has to be explained....

You are right, rhyde. I can be a little thick at times. I'm glad someone else sees the App(le) thing. Though I read the thingi about other's associating it, I always see the App in Apple. I'll pay more attention to your wording from now on. Keep up the good fight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

. . .

Now that's one cool phrase, acknowledged it, like it, want to copy it..

Please do so, Killdude. But do correct the spelling. It is this damn poorly made MacBook that jsut won't type the way I want it to. Must get me a Windoz thingi. (Play with phrases bud, it's fun and only proud AppFans have the originals to do it well.)

caliminius said: When has "app" ever been actually used as a shortening of "apple?" Anywhere? By anyone?

Hey caliminius, It is actually quite a common phenomenon. It is pretty close and I have read it noted, so keep your eyes pealed when browsing Apple Forums. There are so many, eh? And they have so many intelligent AppleFans with brains to share.

And eXoom is kinda cool, eh? I was confused as to how a company could name it's product after some dead thing exhumed from where ever dead products are buried. So confusion over the sound of X (sounds like its letter I should thunk), no confusion over oo (oo you make me quiver) and m (easy enough, me name starts with that consonant) I figured for clarity (Apple is all about clarity), I'd spell it how it should be pronounced. eXoom like iMac, the second letter is capitalised. I haven't tried it on the eXoom Forums yet. You see, when I visit the neighbours, I'm polite; something you Envyboys haven't figured out yet. I blame your mothers. Lack of breast feeding is my figuring.

I like your name caliminius. If Caliminius married Calamity, they'd ride off in the dark looking for sanity. I also write poetry. I Posted my Ode to the iPad 2 on this forum somewheres. I still can't read it with a full bladder.

AppFans (short for AppleFans for the confused) keep up the good fight. Join a droid fan group and enjoy their whining and complaining and songs of despair. But show some couth. Be polite. Angry gets you nowhere.

Namste,

mhikl
  • Reply 45 of 59
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    General question: Has Apple ever formally tried to trademark the slogan "There's an app for that."?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

This is a free country. It's alright to be copy cats.

Want to meet a lawyer? Bring out a cartoon character called "Mickie Mouse" or "Darnold Duck" and the legal profession will beat a path to your door. (More on this below.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

I agree they shouldnt be allowed to call it an appstore. Apple wouldnt be allowed to sell their operating system as Apple windows X

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And only an idiot thinks "app" is short for "apple." The term "app" was generic in the IT field long before Apple used the term. Here's a few web page titles using it:

Apps Turn Your Computer Into a Powerful DVR - PCWorld 6/22/2006

Quantum Computer Running Another App singularity- You Tube 2/1313/2007

And here's a good one:

App Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia

Xerox used "windows" to describe open application objects in their Star System long before they were a glimmer in Bill Gates' eyes. I don't know that MS ever compensated them for that (or that Xerox ever asserted a copyright in the first place), yet they trademarked the common pre-existing word referring to other things in the universe called "windows" for a few thousand years). This practice has long remained a grey area in the copyright world. Many businesses not sued by Apple have used the world Apple in their names, slogans, etc. It's generally only when the areas of equivalent products or services enter the picture that subpoenas start flying. And they certainly do in this case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OmicronTurtle View Post

Appstore =/= App Store

Amazon is using one (made up) word, Apple is using one made up word and a real word.

Side point: Not so sure "app" - referring to a computer program - made it into many (if any) pre-1990 general dictionaries (your 2011 link says "decades" in the "IT community") but that's only my speculation. In any case and FTR it's a newish usage.

That aside, Time-Warner would take issue with the notion that "Bugsbunny" would not be considered an infringement on "Bugs Bunny." And even where businesses appropriate common terms for proprietary purposes, remember the whole Apple Records/Apple Computer contretemps that went on. And on. And on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OmicronTurtle View Post

Reminds me of Microsofts bullying against a child (Mike Rowe) who registered the domain name mikerowesoft.com

See my first comment above. Companies are afraid to give an inch on a TM for fear precedent will allow others to take a mile. They get ridiculous at times, but not entirely without reason.

Brands have tremendous value.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sblife View Post

As a developer of 'gadget apps' (cheap apps with a few giggles) I can see where letting people test drive all day long would cause people to develop a 'drive by' mentality when assessing apps. . . . All before buying my .99¢ app -

Exactly. How many Apps for sale also supply a less developed freeby. That's how I've come to purchase a number of Apps. The freeby version was my trial run.

I think the Droid crowd a wee bit challenged so we patiently explain how the world works, with kindness and care.

Namaste,

mhikl
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

General question: Has Apple ever formally tried to trademark the slogan "There's an app for that."?.

Bigpics, you are a dude and a gentleman. Your cool is admirable and there is no greater heights to aspire. You make your mother proud.

Namaste,

mhikl
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

Yes, it does. Has anyone tried it out yet? I find this the most frustrating thing about Apple's App Store. Not being able to try an app is a step backwards when compared to demo software for desktop machines, even if the majority of iphone apps are cheap and might be viewed as throw away. The cost of cheap apps mounts up if you are trying to find one that best suits your own personal requirements. It has to make sense for a buyer to be able to try the goods to see if they are suitable. A few screen grabs and often dodgy reviews just don't cut it for me.

What Apple does is leave it up to the developer, that way they aren't to blame if people hack the trials to make them unlimited. A simple fix might be to require that developers offer a lite/trial version of their app alongside the real thing. I also wish Apple provided a way to post videos for apps instead of just still images but then a developer can advertise on their own site.

Honestly the apple app store is so stinking simple I don't understand why people complain about it. The only complaint I really have is that they don't have better categories & don't have a way to list things by release date.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I didn't see it here but in an interesting bit of irony, AT&T doesn't allow purchase of apps from outside the Android market and thus they cannot use the Amazon Appstore.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh poor Google, they want so much to be just like Apple.

LOL. Not just Google.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    So, on a whim I visited the Amazon Angry Birds link and started reading the "reviews".

For any of you delusional people who think there isn't a fragmentation or lack of consistency issue with Android, I want you to head over to the Amazon Angry Bird page, read through the "reviews" and then point me to similar reviews for iOS apps.

Good gawd, I knew Android was going to be a train wreck, but the hoops some people are going through just to get a free game and free app store installed is just silly!

And people are still puzzled by Apples success... simply boggling....
  • Reply 52 of 59
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And only an idiot thinks "app" is short for "apple." The term "app" was generic in the IT field long before Apple used the term. Here's a few web page titles using it:

Actually, if you start way back in the 80's and work your way forwards, you will see Apple has always predominantly used "Application" and Microsoft has predominantly used "Program".

It's not "Add or Remove Applications"...

Apple was the first with App Store - I think they will have a hard time defending it, but will prevail in the long run.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Regardless of the history of the word app, "App Store" has become synonymous with Apple. It is in common useage. Apple has also submitted a trademark for this. Amazon will lose this case, as it is purposefully attempted to use a known descriptor of an Apple product to confuse the public in order to generate sales.

And for anyone that feels that Apple shouldn't be able to trademark "App Store", I give you "Windows".
  • Reply 54 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Xerox used "windows" to describe open application objects in their Star System long before they were a glimmer in Bill Gates' eyes. I don't know that MS ever compensated them for that (or that Xerox ever asserted a copyright in the first place), yet they trademarked the common pre-existing word referring to other things in the universe called "windows" for a few thousand years). This practice has long remained a grey area in the copyright world. Many businesses not sued by Apple have used the world Apple in their names, slogans, etc. It's generally only when the areas of equivalent products or services enter the picture that subpoenas start flying. And they certainly do in this case.

The term "windows" wasn't used as an OS name though. I could create an OS and name it Scroll Bar and that would be fine even though scroll bar is a common IT term.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Hey caliminius, It is actually quite a common phenomenon. It is pretty close and I have read it noted, so keep your eyes pealed when browsing Apple Forums.

I'd love a slice of app pie, a la mode of course. Just need to make a quick call on my Goo And phone, then I can go play the eXylophone. Too bad I don't own an iP-hone...
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

What Apple does is leave it up to the developer, that way they aren't to blame if people hack the trials to make them unlimited. A simple fix might be to require that developers offer a lite/trial version of their app alongside the real thing. I also wish Apple provided a way to post videos for apps instead of just still images but then a developer can advertise on their own site.

Honestly the apple app store is so stinking simple I don't understand why people complain about it. The only complaint I really have is that they don't have better categories & don't have a way to list things by release date.

Not to mention it's a great way to increase the number of apps in your app store as any developer that wan't to offer a trial version is effectively submitting 2 apps for each real app.

I get why people compain about the app store. 2 minuets looking at the amazon appstore and you start wondering why Apple hasn't added the same features like price filters, new releases from last 30/60 days, video reviews. Does iTunes have the "customer who bought this also bought" feature, it been a while since I used it?
  • Reply 57 of 59
    I copyrighted the word 'the' and will sue anyone who uses it!
  • Reply 58 of 59
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    What I think is interesting is that Amazon (Google Books) has every reason not to like Google yet they still made an App Store for Google's Android platform.
  • Reply 59 of 59