Japan disaster hasn't 'meaningfully impacted' Apple's iPad 2 supply

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Should my new iPad 2 be glowing after I turn it off?

I would have to say 'no', but then some of the components are made in Japan and could be radioactive....

(sorry....tasteless joke.....if I worked for Aflac I'd be fired....)
  • Reply 22 of 47
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

25,000 killed or missing. Radioactivity in the water at 10,000x's normal levels. But Apple's bottom line is unscathed - that put pep in my step for the day.

It's obvious from the replies that you struck a nerve on this forum. But you are absolutely right.

We may feel for the Japanese, but the bottom line for most people is money. It's truly disgusting that the people are complaining about lack of iPads or boasting how their stock climbed.

Some day the youthful members of this community will grow up and realize one simple fact: You can't take it with you.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

But you are absolutely right.

No he's not. I laugh at and ridicule any holier than thou comments exhibited by sanctimonious blowhards who presume to know and judge others on an online forum.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No he's not. I laugh at and ridicule any holier than thou comments exhibited by sanctimonious blowhards who presume to know and judge others on an online forum.

The great thing is that they play both sides. If every story is about the tragedy in Japan, then it's a "media feeding frenzy" or it's "the media is trying to exploit this story for ratings". But then if a story is posted that is related to anything about this event other than the tragedy of it, then it's heartless and insensitive.

I don't deny that there are heartless and insensitive people out there, or that there are tasteless stories about the tragedy in Japan. In some forums, I've actually seen people say that they think the Japanese deserved it, or they're happy about it, etc. I think that's disgusting and evil. But to come down on Munster or AI for not ritualistically flagellating themselves every time they mention Japan is either self-righteous or morally confused.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Should my new iPad 2 be glowing after I turn it off?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I would have to say 'no', but then some of the components are made in Japan and could be radioactive....

(sorry....tasteless joke.....if I worked for Aflac I'd be fired....)

That was the joke he was originally making! lol
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Some day the youthful members of this community will grow up and realize one simple fact: You can't take it with you.

Yes, I would like one pyramid please! Instead of hieroglyphics, just make it Apple logos.

But yeah, I've heard someone actually say "Stupid earthquake. I was hoping to get the new iPad today." Then again, this is the same place where my husband and I were talking about the quake and no one chimed in. As soon as he said something about a certain crazy actor, then 5 people around us jumped in on the conversation. \
  • Reply 27 of 47
    This is not a surprising report. (The earlier analyst's report on this - which seemed to contribute to a significant dowward movement in Apple stock price -- was just canard.)

Any half-way decent company makes contingency plans around such disaster scenarios.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And yet another nerve has been struck. You laugh alone sir.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Really??! That's what you got from his reply?

How about the idea that any impact from the earthquake would have been in the form of factory shutdowns that would have caused parts shortages for various electronics manufacturers... and therefore a minimal impact to Apple most likely means that those factories are still able to continue running... therefore keeping $$$ flowing and jobs in place.

Exactly, well said. Would these people prefer Japan's economy was damaged worse so they can feel more sympathy?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Moderators ... this thread is a waste of everyone's time ... I'm sure it does not reflect the quality that is desired here.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Kind of ironic that iPad2 parts are coming from Japan despite the earthquake, but they won't be able to buy iPad2's.....because of the earthquake.

Not really that ironic. We got semiconductor technology from those crashed alien saucers in 1947, but you don't see an Apple Store opening on Zeta Reticuli.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

Moderators ... this thread is a waste of everyone's time ... I'm sure it does not reflect the quality that is desired here.

The desired quality is ad click throughs. It has nothing to do with wasting everyone's time.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The desired quality is ad click throughs. It has nothing to do with wasting everyone's time.

... and here I thought forums were here specifically to waste one's time...
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

25,000 killed or missing. Radioactivity in the water at 10,000x's normal levels. But Apple's bottom line is unscathed - that put pep in my step for the day.

That's the spirit! You're always looking for that silver lining in every storm cloud!
  • Reply 35 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

Because posting on a forum in general is a very productive use of time, right? It's right up there with staring at wallpaper, in terms of productivity.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and here I thought forums were here specifically to waste one's time...

Not to mention Facebook. If "wastes of time' are no longer allowed on the Internet, several large companies are going to be totally wiped out.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Not to mention Facebook. If "wastes of time' are no longer allowed on the Internet, several large companies are going to be totally wiped out.

ZING!

I like it....
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

I'm not going to weigh in on the nasty little moral battle everyone is having, but for the record ... almost everything you've heard about the reactors in Japan, the threat of meltdown, the presence of radiation and the level of danger is absolute nonsense.

Even the reports from Reuters and CNN or any "serious" news agency you want to name are more on the level of tabloid news than informative factual journalism. The explosions you've heard about for instance were a result of purposeful action on the part of those cooling down the reactor, not "accidents" and most of the deadly radiation you keep hearing about has a half life of about 8 days.

I'm not saying it isn't serious stuff, but unless you live right next door to the reactor in question this is nothing even close to a Chernobyl type deal or even that serious. Seriously. Smoking cigarettes puts you in far greater danger of imminent death or cancer than living right up the street from this reactor.

People are focussing on the nuclear reactor because it frightens them when they should be focussing on the tsunami damage which is appalling and caused 10's of thousands of deaths and more problems besides.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not going to weigh in on the nasty little moral battle everyone is having, but for the record ... almost everything you've heard about the reactors in Japan, the threat of meltdown, the presence of radiation and the level of danger is absolute nonsense.

Even the reports from Reuters and CNN or any "serious" news agency you want to name are more on the level of tabloid news than informative factual journalism. The explosions you've heard about for instance were a result of purposeful action on the part of those cooling down the reactor, not "accidents" and most of the deadly radiation you keep hearing about has a half life of about 8 days.

I'm not saying it isn't serious stuff, but unless you live right next door to the reactor in question this is nothing even close to a Chernobyl type deal or even that serious. Seriously. Smoking cigarettes puts you in far greater danger of imminent death or cancer than living right up the street from this reactor.

Iodine 131 decays with a half-life of 8 days but it has been shown to cause cancer by mutating the cells of the thyroid. Radioactive particles if ingested concentrate in the thyroid. Just because the half life is eight days doesn't address the fact that people are being exposed all day, everyday and the effects can multiply over time. In case you haven't heard cancer can be deadly.

I suppose the 30+ engineers that died in the explosions didn't get the memo that the purposeful explosions were being triggered.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

It's obvious from the replies that you struck a nerve on this forum. But you are absolutely right.

We may feel for the Japanese, but the bottom line for most people is money. It's truly disgusting that the people are complaining about lack of iPads or boasting how their stock climbed.

I'm inclined to agree. Sure, it would be great to hear that Japan's economy is recovering from the disaster. Something along the lines of "Toshiba factory is back to full capacity." What seems insensitive is to couch it in terms of, "Well, you won't have to worry about being able to buy an iPad." It's all about what's being emphasized. Is the focus on Japan, or is it on "us, us, us"?