Apple not yet aligning iPhone 5 part suppliers, handset may miss fiscal 2011

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

Question: If a the IRS is an unconstitutional entity (ncrepublic.org), and an unconstitutional act is not a law (Supreme Court case Norton v. Shelby County), then does a fiscal year really exist?

Since the IRS is a constitutional entity, the question doesn't apply.

That garbage you posted from those web sites is just that, garbage.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not impressed with so called LTE yet, and obviously, neither is Apple. Considering that Apple is still selling out of the iPhone 4, neither are most customers. If Apple could make more, they would sell more.

When you're told to turn off the latest technology because it suck your battery life out, it's not ready for prime time. When it is, Apple will have it.

Really? You mean like my iPod Touch now does, thanks to iOS 4.3 and is still there despite the 4.3.1 update and turning off Ping? Like others have also reported?

You're not impressed with LTE? Buahahahahahaha. First of all, the Thunderbolt has been out like a week and a half, which is the first and only Verizon LTE phone. Sure, some debuggin is in order, but that's the nature of being first to adopt. Second, you're not impressed because you don't have it. LTE is fast...very fast. The reason Apple "isn't impressed" is because they haven't had time to get out an iPhone with LTE technology. They had to get out a CDMA phone, first, because LTE wasn't available when Apple began working on the Verizon iPhone. It's coming, when Apple releases the iPhone 5. It has nothing to do with how "impressed" Apple is. Had the timing been better, the Verizon iPhone 4 might have been the first LTE device. Then would you have bashed it? Apple is and always has been a company that has been big in innovation, and that means leading edge technology. With it came some hiccups. I've been an Apple user since 1982. Believe me, I'm well aware of what Apple is and has been about.

Wow... It's stupid comments from fanboys like you that make an actual valid debate impossible. I'm actually a big Apple fan, but I'm not delirious like you. The competition isn't so bad. You just need to wake up and realize Steve Jobs isn't God. Maybe some deprogramming is in order?
  • Reply 63 of 83
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

Question: If a the IRS is an unconstitutional entity (ncrepublic.org), and an unconstitutional act is not a law (Supreme Court case Norton v. Shelby County), then does a fiscal year really exist?

Have you actually read the US Constitution? Section 8:

Quote:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States...

• Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Really? You mean like my iPod Touch now does, thanks to iOS 4.3 and is still there despite the 4.3.1 update and turning off Ping? Like others have also reported?

You're not impressed with LTE? Buahahahahahaha. First of all, the Thunderbolt has been out like a week and a half, which is the first and only Verizon LTE phone. Sure, some debuggin is in order, but that's the nature of being first to adopt. Second, you're not impressed because you don't have it. LTE is fast...very fast. The reason Apple "isn't impressed" is because they haven't had time to get out an iPhone with LTE technology. They had to get out a CDMA phone, first, because LTE wasn't available when Apple began working on the Verizon iPhone. It's coming, when Apple releases the iPhone 5. It has nothing to do with how "impressed" Apple is. Had the timing been better, the Verizon iPhone 4 might have been the first LTE device. Then would you have bashed it? Apple is and always has been a company that has been big in innovation, and that means leading edge technology. With it came some hiccups. I've been an Apple user since 1982. Believe me, I'm well aware of what Apple is and has been about.

Wow... It's stupid comments from fanboys like you that make an actual valid debate impossible. I'm actually a big Apple fan, but I'm not delirious like you. The competition isn't so bad. You just need to wake up and realize Steve Jobs isn't God. Maybe some deprogramming is in order?

I've just read some stupid comments from an Android fanboy. What else is new?
  • Reply 65 of 83
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

iPhone 4s/5 will be same design as current model with a few modifications (bigger screen).

iPhone 5/6 which will have complete redesign and May 2012 release.

You don't change a winning formula.

Interesting...

Bigger screen 4" (960x640), same physical size and design, reengineered antenna to remove all weak-spots, glass front and back like before, NFC, world-mode-phone.

But how to sell this device? No. I think they'll perhaps throw in a metal back and call it iPhone 5.

• Reply 66 of 83
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Gee, your own definition says "said, without proof, to have taken place". Is that not a pretty good synonym for "reportedly"

Just because it doesn't meet both possible definitions doesn't make it wrong.

Already explained.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Already explained.

Where?

"Right from the Mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality.""

This was clearly the former
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't really see iPhone or iPod Touch capabilities that require the dual dually CPU/GPU.

It maybe would speed up some things -- but the iP4 does things quite well, IMO -- I don't feel constrained by anything but the small screen.

Missed this. The A5, especially the improved graphics, mainly improves gaming capabilities. The A4 doesn't have enough firepower for 1080p video recording, either.

Quote:

Not impressed with so called LTE yet, and obviously, neither is Apple. Considering that Apple is still selling out of the iPhone 4, neither are most customers. If Apple could make more, they would sell more.

When you're told to turn off the latest technology because it suck your battery life out, it's not ready for prime time. When it is, Apple will have it.

While I'm generally an iPhone supporter, I realize that many people don't see what many iPhone supporters see. As long as their favorite apps are on both iOS and Android, they'll look to see what hardware and software is best for them. And I suspect that 4G will be a major deciding factor amongst the unwashed masses. If they don't believe the benefits of iOS outweigh the benefits of 4G speeds, then they'll get the Android 4G device. It's that simple.

Whatever iPhone is released this year will be available for the next two years, and will compete against a growing number of 4G Android phones. So will Apple:

1. Compromise on LTE and release a device for Verizon in late 2011 (and an HSPA+ 4G device for AT&T)

2. Release a 3G-only device for Verizon and AT&T

3. Release a 4G HSPA+ device for AT&T only; sell the iPhone 4 at Verizon for another year

My guess is they'll do No. 2, although I find avoiding 4G for another year to be a risky strategy. Perhaps Verizon will get a dual-mode iPhone with this strategy, although AT&T has many more iPhone accounts than VZ, and most international business travelers are with AT&T.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Do you truly believe all this drivel?
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Missed this. The A5, especially the improved graphics, mainly improves gaming capabilities. The A4 doesn't have enough firepower for 1080p video recording, either.

I wonder if that's true. We should be seeing a new version of Real Racer 2 with not only 1080p output while gaming, but with a controller display for the iPad 2 at the same time.

Quote:

While I'm generally an iPhone supporter, I realize that many people don't see what many iPhone supporters see. As long as their favorite apps are on both iOS and Android, they'll look to see what hardware and software is best for them. And I suspect that 4G will be a major deciding factor amongst the unwashed masses. If they don't believe the benefits of iOS outweigh the benefits of 4G speeds, then they'll get the Android 4G device. It's that simple.

Whatever iPhone is released this year will be available for the next two years, and will compete against a growing number of 4G Android phones. So will Apple:

1. Compromise on LTE and release a device for Verizon in late 2011 (and an HSPA+ 4G device for AT&T)

2. Release a 3G-only device for Verizon and AT&T

3. Release a 4G HSPA+ device for AT&T only; sell the iPhone 4 at Verizon for another year

My guess is they'll do No. 2, although I find avoiding 4G for another year to be a risky strategy. Perhaps Verizon will get a dual-mode iPhone with this strategy, although AT&T has many more iPhone accounts than VZ, and most international business travelers are with AT&T.

We don't know what's going on now. For all we know, this is a deliberate delay for the

Purpose of using LTE. But we have to remember that most areas of the country don't have LTE yet. Until sometime 2012 there won't be coverage over most of the country, and not until sometime 2013 will the entire country be covered. The same thing is true in most places.

This won't be a serious issue for some time. I don't know what all the fuss is all about. The two companies that have been pushing this the most are still bleeding subscribers. Phones with it have poor battery life unless it's turned off, as all reviews of these products recommend.

We've seen a lot of things that Apple "had to have" or sales would tank. Never happened. Apple still can't keep up with demand. If they don't have it by mid 2012, that could be a problem, but not now. Remember the big argument about AMOLED screens? That's a dead issue. The questions about c/paste, multitasking and others all went away after Apple came out with them. The same thing will happen here.

What about 3G, GPS, apps? Apple was said to have major problems because they didn't have them. But Apple came out with all these features when they were ready, on their schedule, not on the schedule of those who wouldn't be buying them anyway.

The tech heads are all jumping up and down over this, but most people, you know, the ones who really buy iPhones, are still buying them in record numbers. Where's the evidence that they aren't?
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Where?

"Right from the Mac dictionary, you will find that "allegedly" means "said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality.""

This was clearly the former

Yes, I know you'd like me to repeat myself four times at least, so you can waste as much of my time as possible, but you aren't going to get that pleasure. Sorry.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    mikemikebmikemikeb Posts: 113member
    Quote:

I wonder if that's true. We should be seeing a new version of Real Racer 2 with not only 1080p output while gaming, but with a controller display for the iPad 2 at the same time.

I don't know if the A5 is powerful enough to handle 1080p output of games, but who's going to demand 1080p outputting of a game meant to be viewed on a portable 960x480 screen, anyway? In the meantime, a better graphics processor can calculate more triangles per second, meaning more realistic images.

What really interests me is if the A5 is powerful enough to decode and output 1080p H.264 video. And if so, will it get to an AppleTV update late this year? But then again, is an AppleTV refresh needed anytime this year? Who uses 1080p streaming, anyway? Netflix is 720p, as is iTunes. Going to 1080p 2D or 720p 3D streaming requires 6-8 Mbps, which is a bit too much for most homes in the country. If the A4 can pass through 1080p AirPlay data from an iPad 2, then there's no need for an A5-based ATV upgrade, just to make that possible.

I don't know if it's as cheap for Apple to make an A4 as an A5, but if it is, then why update the AppleTV anytime soon? That can buy time for Apple to put an A6 into the next AppleTV, which might literally be a TV.

Quote:

We don't know what's going on now. For all we know, this is a deliberate delay for the

Purpose of using LTE. But we have to remember that most areas of the country don't have LTE yet. Until sometime 2012 there won't be coverage over most of the country, and not until sometime 2013 will the entire country be covered. The same thing is true in most places.

Something else to think about: While LTE will take a while in most places (especially with AT&T, which won't implement it at all 'til 2012), HSPA+ "4G" will get a much more aggressive rollout through AT&T and T-Mobile. So if Apple chooses not to put HSPA+ in their next iPhone, it'll be competing against numerous 4G HSPA+ Android phones that, unlike LTE, don't drag on battery life quite so bad. Additionally, 2012 will come with the release of phones that have more power-friendly LTE chips than the current ones; that will help with Verizon's 4G Android smartphones. So if you look now, sure, being 3G-only's not a big deal. 2012 could be a brand-new ballgame.

Oh, plenty of people are buying iPhones now. That's not the problem. It's what could happen in, say, April of 2012, when a lot of AT&T 4G Android devices will likely exist, and people might want 4G capability in their smartphones. I think you underestimate the public's desire for faster speeds, everywhere. It's different than features like GPS or some obscure app they download once and never use, again. Many features will be used once a day by the average user, but Internet speeds will be noticed by a smartphone user multiple times every day; it becomes a quality of life issue.

Sure, HSPA+ and LTE won't be coming to a lot of countries for years, but the American market is so important in determining what platforms appmakers develop for, since the money to be made in apps mainly comes from American customers. We both know the apps are ultimately what drive smartphone purchases above everything else, even 4G. But since most top apps are available on iOS and Android, that evens things out for customers. 4G might not.

Back when Apple was being chided for remaining 2G, smartphones were relatively rare devices which were purchased by techno-geeks who knew what they were buying. Plus, no one had Apple's kind of touchscreen OS, so where else would you go? Today, Android's damn close to iOS, to the point that a lot of people who don't know any better would say that an Android phone's just like an iPhone. They probably wouldn't compare iPhone and BlackBerry that way, today. Additionally, smartphones are being marketed to the masses, at lower prices, in ways that weren't imagined back in 2007.

Apple has a brand-new iPhone plant coming online this year, and at the same time, Apple's losing marketshare to Android. The added capacity will be needed to reverse the trend, but so will top-quality hardware that can match up well with Android in the eyes of the average American. For them, trading away the 4G speeds for iOS may not make sense, unless Steve can bring out some killer feature that buys Apple six months to a year's worth of 4G-like sales, until Google copies it to Android. Cloud functionality might be it, but Google has been into the cloud on the desktop, so Apple might not get six months.

So to me, remaining 3G-only is a risk, as is going to LTE on Verizon before mid-2012. Getting a hefty 4G exclusivity subsidiary from AT&T, keeping the iPhone 4 available on Verizon, all while keeping competitive with Android, looks pretty safe on both the front end and the back end.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    A cheaper iPhone able to run on all carriers in China is far more important than LTE. Unimportant outside the US. Not very important within it.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

I don't know if the A5 is powerful enough to handle 1080p output of games, but who's going to demand 1080p outputting of a game meant to be viewed on a portable 960x480 screen, anyway? In the meantime, a better graphics processor can calculate more triangles per second, meaning more realistic images.

Perhaps you didn't quite get it. But I said that it outputs 1080p, while still having the game controller on the iPad. That should have told you that the output was going to your monitor or Tv. That's far more strenuous that merely outputting 1080p video, which we know the SoC will easily handle. The only reason why Apple isn't officially supporting 1080p output is because the camera only shoots 720p. Apple has a habit with their small mobile devices of limiting official output to what it can directly input. I don't know why, but that's the reason. I happen to think it's a bad reason, but that's what it is.

Quote:

What really interests me is if the A5 is powerful enough to decode and output 1080p H.264 video. And if so, will it get to an AppleTV update late this year? But then again, is an AppleTV refresh needed anytime this year? Who uses 1080p streaming, anyway? Netflix is 720p, as is iTunes. Going to 1080p 2D or 720p 3D streaming requires 6-8 Mbps, which is a bit too much for most homes in the country. If the A4 can pass through 1080p AirPlay data from an iPad 2, then there's no need for an A5-based ATV upgrade, just to make that possible.

Return to my first part of this post. The answer is the same. Yes, it can. Right now, to output 1080p from an iPad2 you need Apple's adapter, and an HDMI cable. You can't do it over the air. The iPad2 can deliver 1080p at up to 20 Mbs. It isn't official, as I've said, but it can do it. I doubt the aTv can receive that signal. Perhaps with an upgrade to the new SoC, if it isn't too expensive for the $99 device.

Quote:

I don't know if it's as cheap for Apple to make an A4 as an A5, but if it is, then why update the AppleTV anytime soon? That can buy time for Apple to put an A6 into the next AppleTV, which might literally be a TV.

I imagine you mean if the A5 is as cheap to make as the a4. If it is as cheap, then why not upgrade it? That would equalize all the lines later this year, as everything would be on the same chip. Touch, iPhone, and iPad. That would make it easier for Apple to integrate everything. And, if they should decide to officially support 1080p, everything could handle it. But I would also think that the entire SoC would be required. I don't see Apple using the A5 without the rest of it, ESP the Imagnation dual core GPU.

Quote:

Something else to think about: While LTE will take a while in most places (especially with AT&T, which won't implement it at all 'til 2012), HSPA+ "4G" will get a much more aggressive rollout through AT&T and T-Mobile. So if Apple chooses not to put HSPA+ in their next iPhone, it'll be competing against numerous 4G HSPA+ Android phones that, unlike LTE, don't drag on battery life quite so bad. Additionally, 2012 will come with the release of phones that have more power-friendly LTE chips than the current ones; that will help with Verizon's 4G Android smartphones. So if you look now, sure, being 3G-only's not a big deal. 2012 could be a brand-new ballgame.

This is why I said that if they don't have it by mid 2012, it could be a problem. I don't see it as a problem during the rest of 2011, or the first half of 2012.

Quote:

Oh, plenty of people are buying iPhones now. That's not the problem. It's what could happen in, say, April of 2012, when a lot of AT&T 4G Android devices will likely exist, and people might want 4G capability in their smartphones. I think you underestimate the public's desire for faster speeds, everywhere. It's different than features like GPS or some obscure app they download once and never use, again. Many features will be used once a day by the average user, but Internet speeds will be noticed by a smartphone user multiple times every day; it becomes a quality of life issue.

Sure, HSPA+ and LTE won't be coming to a lot of countries for years, but the American market is so important in determining what platforms appmakers develop for, since the money to be made in apps mainly comes from American customers. We both know the apps are ultimately what drive smartphone purchases above everything else, even 4G. But since most top apps are available on iOS and Android, that evens things out for customers. 4G might not.

Back when Apple was being chided for remaining 2G, smartphones were relatively rare devices which were purchased by techno-geeks who knew what they were buying. Plus, no one had Apple's kind of touchscreen OS, so where else would you go? Today, Android's damn close to iOS, to the point that a lot of people who don't know any better would say that an Android phone's just like an iPhone. They probably wouldn't compare iPhone and BlackBerry that way, today. Additionally, smartphones are being marketed to the masses, at lower prices, in ways that weren't imagined back in 2007.

Apple has a brand-new iPhone plant coming online this year, and at the same time, Apple's losing marketshare to Android. The added capacity will be needed to reverse the trend, but so will top-quality hardware that can match up well with Android in the eyes of the average American. For them, trading away the 4G speeds for iOS may not make sense, unless Steve can bring out some killer feature that buys Apple six months to a year's worth of 4G-like sales, until Google copies it to Android. Cloud functionality might be it, but Google has been into the cloud on the desktop, so Apple might not get six months.

So to me, remaining 3G-only is a risk, as is going to LTE on Verizon before mid-2012. Getting a hefty 4G exclusivity subsidiary from AT&T, keeping the iPhone 4 available on Verizon, all while keeping competitive with Android, looks pretty safe on both the front end and the back end.

truthfully, despite some dire warnings from techno geeks, I'm not seeing much call for so called 4G or LTE, neither of which are the real thing, as we should all know by now. Yes, it's USUALLY faster, but not always. As is always true, it's more an Individual network thing than the standard itself. How many phones actually get close to what they can, in theory, do now? Not a single one! In fact, I've seen a number of reviews that have shown the iPhone 4 getting better download speeds than some 4G phones in the same place, at the same time.

I strongly believe that Apple has until mid 2012 to come out with a 4G/LTE model. If it happens earlier, then fine, I won't argue about it. I just don't see it as a real issue now.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Let's look at a market that has no credible 4G yet, China. Apple's products are very popular there, but are just beginning to get good distribution. Apple's sales there last year were up some 600%. Think about that. The largest market with still fairly small sales that grew by 600% in one year, after having grown over 250% the year before. Apple,s phone is very desirable there, and this will weigh heavily in Apple's future sales, a fact that many analysts aren't figuring on when they give future predictions.

Here an interesting article with a couple of nice charts:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/...ains-in-china/

It's why I think some of the concern is overblown.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    muncywebmuncyweb Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Have you actually read the US Constitution? Section 8:

Yep, I have a copy of it right in front of me. Have you ever noticed the contradiction between Section 9, paragraph 4 and the 16th Amendment? They say two completely different things. Constitutional taxes were originally in proportion to the census or enumeration of the states. This was a check-and-balance so that states received equal representation. We all paid the same amount. The fruits of our labor was not taxed. We were not punished for our success or wealth.

Did you also know that 100% of the income tax pays only for the national debt rather than the services which the American people expect? These are stats from YOUR very own government.

Did you also know that Reconstruction, along with the opposing object and outcome of the Civil War was also unconstitutional? Did you know that Reconstruction was the overthrow of state governments by the 39th congress and that the 14th Amendment makes us all U.S. national citizens, subject to Washington, rather than state citizens subject to local self-government as the founders intended?

Did you know that coercion does not create a legal obligation?

Did you know that there is currently a $10,000 reward (in gold and silver coin) being offered (americasremedy.com) to anyone able to prove that the current state of North Carolina was created lawfully? Or what about the $136,878+ reward (proveitsreal.com) being offered to anyone able to prove that the 14th Amendment was properly ratified in accordance to the requirements set forth by the Constitution?
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

Since the IRS is a constitutional entity, the question doesn't apply.

That garbage you posted from those web sites is just that, garbage.

Oh yeah, they are a constitutional entity. Sure. They are really helping Americans and doing us all a great service, rather than looting and plundering us all, stealing our property, and taking any fake, paper money that we have left..lol. You my friend are in denial about your own surroundings. You do nothing without permission. Kneel down and lick the hands of those who feed you.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Did you know that a parallel universe exists, where everything you know is wrong?
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Did you know that a parallel universe exists, where everything you know is wrong?

Did you know that it is easier to criticize and poke fun at something different than it is to rebut arguments with actual fact?
  • Reply 80 of 83
    I'll let you know when I see some actual facts to rebut.