Sony boss reportedly reveals Apple's plans for 8MP iPhone 5 camera - rumor

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

I hope not, 8mp would be terrible on a phone camera! Please increase the sensor size before increasing mega-pixels!

Exactly! I'd much rather have a larger sensor than a higher megapixel count.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Exactly! I'd much rather have a larger sensor than a higher megapixel count.

What's wrong with the concept that they would consider doing both, like other phone manufacturers have done?
  • Reply 63 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have to check back at the office. I am pretty sure it was for our Canon. We have both Nikon and Canon set ups at the office. We are slowly converting to Canon. We were having a bit of trouble getting the lighting and depth of field on some super small close-ups with our older Nikon macro so we ordered the the new lens. Not sure of the exact cost although I can PM you next week when I get into the office.

I'm just curious. I don't want you to have to hassle over it.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

If Apple's holding up the iPhone so that they can cram eight megapixels on to a phone sensor, maybe they're losing the plot a little. The camera in the iPhone 4 has been very good ? by a long margin the best camera I've seen on a phone. Refine it a little in terms of focus and low-light and you've got a legitimate replacement for any camera for up to about an 8x10 image. Why mess with a good thing like that and follow the crowd in the pursuit of wasting memory space on large picture files full of mush and noise and without any acuity?

It's not quite that simple. If Apple decided to use this sensor 6 or more months ago, which would be very likely, then they couldn't get enough of the older 5 MP sensors at this time anyway, because the manufacturer would never have time to ramp production up enough.

If Apple had stayed with the older sensor, and THAT factory was damaged, they would have the same problem. So it's not a matter of holding up production for an 8 MP sensor, it's a matter of holding up production for the sensor chosen, whatever it may be.

This happens to be a very good sensor. Too many people here are making comments based on nothing at all.