'Unstable performance' of Android 3.0 seen as benefit to Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayGrantham View Post

I am so poor, that in the past 5 years I have purchased and Used various smart phone running Windows Mobile, Palm and Blackberry. I now am using an Android. My first real computer was a Macintosh and I spend 13 years from 1984 to 197 working with and for apple computer vendors. I understand the loyalty to the brand and I understand the problems inherent with evolving technologies.

After having my hands on an Android for the past 4 months and seeing the previews of the oncoming Android 3.0 Honeycomb, I can tell you that whatever "issues" they are having will eventually be worked out, but in the meanwhile it is by far the slickest most user friendly, OS I have ever had the delight to experience (yes including IOS as well).

I doubt that one technology can "own" the consumer market place for any length of time the way Microsoft has dominated the desktop market, but it seems obvious that Android will be the dominant smart phone platform for the foreseeable future.

I depend on my smart phone to perform time critical tasks that must be performed with no notice and finished on a web app within 30 seconds. My Android does the job, where Blackberry, Palm and Windows were generally only about 50% effective, in accomplishing the same tasks. As for the I-Phone, well I would never even consider it, I spent too many years buying the latest and greatest Apple equipment and in 97 when they released millions of defective computers with the 603e processor and wouldn't own up to it, I decided Apple's idea of brand loyalty is you buy from them at over inflated prices and when they do something wrong and you are paying for it you will be the last to know.

Google may not be any better when put to the test but just the fact that there is an alternative to Apple/IOS ought to be enough to convince million of abused Apple loyal to jump ship

I wouldn't call us abused. If anything, Apple pampers its customers.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wouldn't call us abused. If anything, Apple pampers its customers.

Maybe it's just me, but every new Apple basher I read (GrayGrantham), I just automatically assume it's Techstud in his latest disguise.
  • Reply 43 of 106
    sprockketssprockkets Posts: 796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That is just my highly educated guess, based on the fact that Android phones are being given away for free along with cheap data plans. This appeals to poor people.

No, I don't mean just like the iPhone, because I clicked on your UK links and the only iPhone being given away is when you choose the absolute top tier data plan for 2 years. That is not for poor people. £60 a month for service for 2 years?

Here's a link from one of your own UK sites, and every single Android phone on this page is FREE, along with the cheapest data plans. That appeals to poor people.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi..._androidphones

Not sure how a $500 unlocked phone appeals to "poor" people, but whatever.

It isn't rocket science that a 32GB iphone in the UK sells for $980 vs. the majority of everything else around $300-$500 why android phones are easier to get "free".
  • Reply 44 of 106
    Quote:

There will always be poor people. Poor people have existed throughout history. Most people who buy android phones are poor. The average android phone is not the high end phones, it's the cheap ones, and the ones that they give away for free.

Android users are also cheap, because they don't spend much on apps.

I don't know if "poor" is exactly the right word. Me, I'm not poor—exactly—but I've got the cheapest cellphone I can get, on the cheapest contract, and it wouldn't take much of a change in my work or family situation for me to take great pleasure in flushing it down the toilet. I hate cell phones, I hate the way the business is organized, I don't want to be on call 24/7...but unfortunately, it's a necessity right now. I'll bet there are millions more like me.

Technology has advanced. Smart phones are the new dumb phones. A lot of people the last year have run out their contracts on their old dumb phones and have been offered a "smart" phone (the quotes are because some of them aren't that smart) "buy one get one free", "buy one get five free" in one case, or outright free with a contract they were going to sign up for anyway. Why wouldn't they take it?

It's just a fact of life that right now 99.9999999% of those "free" "smart" phones run one of the hundreds of mutually incompatible OSs that Fandroids and ignorant people lump together as "Android". That's why Gartner's prediction of 49% for "Android" is quite believable—but who cares? The aforementioned Fandroids and ignorant people. (Sorry for repeating myself.)
  • Reply 45 of 106
    Why is a post about Android 3.0 turns into whether Android users are poor or cheap people? While I agree that Android is not nearly as polished as iOS, it's pretty sad when I see people often trying to stereotype others based on the things others are buying.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i find it hilarious when i hear comments like this, "apple has to keep evolving...".

since steve jobs took over the helm, apple has done nothing but innovate and evolve?without pressure from competitors.

the big difference (imo) between apple's philosophy and its competitors is that apple sees itself as it's only competitor. the others are too busy seeing what everyone else is doing and they're completely missing the boat.

we're already starting to see 'cracks' in the android bubble with developers having to deal with fragmentation of the ios.

And is it a bubble because hardware makers are betting their tablet future on an immature OS (and few native apps) from Google, who had a very short track record of selling operating systems. Talk about faith. You could almost accuse Motorola and Samsung of being Google fanboys.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

No, they don't buy them, they get them for free. The day activated my iPhone with 3, I cancelled my previous contract (tatty old sony ericsson phone) that I had had for years with them. I had to activate the phone on the shop, but cancel the contract over the phone. Man!, they begged me for hours trying to convince me to take the free android phone and keep an even cheaper contract. It didn't matter how many times I explained the guy on the phone in India that I had already an iPhone in a contract with them, still he insisted I should take the free android phone, because I was a valued customer!

Is this an HTC phone? HTC sells the phones to the carriers for around $300. This is $300 less than an iPhone. Therefore the carriers will be making $300 more if you accept it.

I think Motorola and Samsung are in similar situation.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Why is a post about Android 3.0 turns into whether Android users are poor or cheap people? While I agree that Android is not nearly as polished as iOS, it's pretty sad when I see people often trying to stereotype others based on the things others are buying.

Good question. I don't know. I guess because there aren't enough Android 3.0 users to talk about.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Is this an HTC phone? HTC sells the phones to the carriers for around $300. This is $300 less than an iPhone. Therefore the carriers will be making $300 more if you accept it.

I think Motorola and Samsung are in similar situation.

Are you sure about HTC selling for $300 to the carriers? They announced record profits yesterday (passed Nokia in market capitalization), and it doesn't seem like selling Android phones cheap could do that for them.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe it's just me, but every new Apple basher I read (GrayGrantham), I just automatically assume it's Techstud in his latest disguise.

I've no way to know. We ban by IP address, so if someone comes back it could be from anywhere.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Are you sure about HTC selling for $300 to the carriers? They announced record profits yesterday (passed Nokia in market capitalization), and it doesn't seem like selling Android phones cheap could do that for them.

It depends on how cheaply they can manufacture the phone. They refused to say just how many phones they sold, and that's interesting.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    Quote:

It depends on how cheaply they can manufacture the phone. They refused to say just how many phones they sold, and that's interesting.

I saw mention of them holding 19% of the smartphone market, but no idea if that meant units or revenue.
  • Reply 53 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I saw mention of them holding 19% of the smartphone market, but no idea if that meant units or revenue.

That would be smartphone unit marketshare. They reportedly sell between 3 and 4% of the world’s handsets yet make take in between 39% to over 50% of the world’s handset profits. That’s handsets and not limited just to smartphones.
    Note the CNN article refers to the first half of 2010 where the iPhone 3GS was more than halfway through it’s release cycle.

edit: I think you are referring to HTC as “them” in which case my post is moot.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

Most people who buy android phones are poor... Android users are also cheap

Thanks for not enforcing the Apple owner stereotype!

For the cherry on top you should have said "Android owners have no class".
  • Reply 55 of 106
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Yes, HTC news gave its revenue and the number of phones it sold. And don't forget Apple is known for making over 80% of the money of all the smartphones combined. It is not because Apple sold more iPhones than all the other phones combined.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

I am so poor, that in the past 5 years I have purchased and Used various smart phone running Windows Mobile, Palm and Blackberry. I now am using an Android. My first real computer was a Macintosh and I spend 13 years from 1984 to 197 working with and for apple computer vendors... snip

If you are so poor maybe you should ask whoever it is that pays you for astroturfing for a raise.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

edit: I think you are referring to HTC as ?them? in which case my post is moot.

Yes, "they" are HTC.

Still a good post tho.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Google may not be any better when put to the test but just the fact that there is an alternative to Apple/IOS ought to be enough to convince million of abused Apple loyal to jump ship

...'abused Apple loyal'?

Is that a joke? Microsoft treats their customers like straight-up criminals, by forcing them to prove they are innocent or they are assumed to be guilty. Nothing like having to worry if a product licensing glitch might lock you out of your computer. But that's fine...

...'abused Apple loyal'?

Again...is that a joke? Google invests in data mining start-ups with the CIA. That is a FACT.

"The investment arms of the CIA and Google are both backing a company that monitors the web in real time" - http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...ve-google-cia/

Google does some PROFOUNDLY shady shit. Anyone that reads any sort of tech-related website over the past 5 years has some inkling of that. But lets speculate a tad, shall we? Allow me to don my little tin-foil cap for a sec; consider for a moment; google wants to give out free internet in selected locations. That's only the beginning. They allow free ports of land-line numbers to google voice. They create a mobile operating system, and give it away for free. They've visually mapped huge areas, and tied it into their free services. If you are unable to speculate any sort of ulterior motives a company -that works with the CIA- might have, in knowing every single iota of information that flows out of you, be it internet, voice, location...then I dunno what to tell you. Google aims to have every bit of personal information funneled through their free services...for what purpose? To be nice? To show you some ads? Sure.

'abused apple loyal' my ass...
  • Reply 59 of 106
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I've no way to know. We ban by IP address, so if someone comes back it could be from anywhere.

Can't you use the MAC address?
  • Reply 60 of 106
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Can't you use the MAC address?

MACs address diffusion generally don't go beyond your subnet (with exemption of the DHCP server), that's so web sites can't rely on that info.