Apple's Final Cut Pro update rumored to add iPad, Thunderbolt support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    My wish list:

I'd primarily like to see the iPad as a control surface for Color (which will hopefully get some much needed enhancements on filetypes it can use, multi-track control, stability, predictability when sending back to FCP, able to deal with FCP graphics files, straightforward saving, a more Apple like UI, and so on). It'd be really cool if it could bluetooth to your Mac in this mode so you can lean back and do your thing without a wire in the way.

Using iPad as some kind a magic trackpad for FCP with a zoom-able cloned display could potentially be cool, but it also seems potentially messy with shortcut keys and may actually slow you down. Maybe if you have a keyboard attached it'd be ok. A remote desktop version could be neat, but it's the same story there.

I want switching between Studio programs to feel more seamless. Sometimes when I do it I feel like I'm pulling a off a trick instead of following the workflow. Some sort of neat FCP is suspended, Color is Activated popup UI grid would be neat.

I'd like to see Apple pull of some ingenious way to get ahead of the constantly changing RED world, but I have no idea how they'd pull that off. I'd like to be able to just bring RED into FCP easily, using whatever compression options I want (even none) and then do my thing without using any third party programs at all.

Also, support for All RED Resolutions - 4K, 5K 128K, whatever they do.

Automatic Offline for RED/5D/7D footage - it'd be neat if you were able to import and start organizing and editing with this native footage, and somehow FCP were to cook up a ProRes version while you start working, and then it alerts you when its done and easily jumps your timeline over to the offline or ProRes version and back. Or to a third version if you create a high end online different than your original format.

Easier onlining and offlining. Like idiot proof, easy as 1,2,3. If there's issues, have an FCP online issue finder built in.

I'd also like to see a more streamlined Codec list when exporting. And if there's a way to make the computer or the user more workflow efficient when doing all this, that'd be great.

Native MXF support would be a dream. Easy collaboration between FCP and Avid Users. Don't want to kill Avid, just want life to be easier.

Codecs that play nice with other editing programs easily (looking at you HDV). I'd really like an easy way into and back from After Effects.

Sorry so long.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    iPad is a toy. What if I invented an iPad with a foldable internal screen and full size keyboard. What if we called this iPad that runs OS X full version the "MacBook." It does everything a real computer can do, but it's about the size of an iPad. Wow! It would be so great! FCP on an iPad sounds like a nightmare.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

In the not too distant past film was edited by touching it. So editing using a touch screen is really not all that strange. To many old school film editors it might seem more "normal" than just keystrokes, mice, and jog-wheels.

This line of reasoning would also encourage the arguments for touchscreen Macs which so far, just about every Mac person here seems to be against.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

My wish list:

I'd primarily like to see [...] with other editing programs easily (looking at you HDV). I'd really like an easy way into and back from After Effects.

Sorry so long.

You can use this feedback facilities here at feedback: FCP
  • Reply 25 of 66
    This is kind of ironic. My brother works in the video editing field and I was just talking about this only 5 minutes ago. He was lucky enough to "NAB" a ticket (pun fully intended) literally seconds before they sold out, and he'll be there for the presentation. He was telling me about this radical new overhaul for FCP, and I thought it was kind of weird that I hadn't seen any mention of it seeing as how I check Apple rumor blogs almost daily, so I logged onto appleinsider and sure enough, it was the first story listed.

I guess there's a lot of drama among the industry about Apple's refusal to release any kind of road map for FCP, not unlike their other products, and apparently a lot of people are starting to jump ship to Adobe's offerings. Everyone is pretty worried about this new overhaul because the guy who botched iMovie is the guy now in charge of FCP. I'm not into video editing, and I've never never used FCP or any product like it, but after hearing about all the drama and excitement surrounding this new overhaul I'm pretty stoked to see what happens.

My brother is a diehard Apple guy, but he, along with a lot of other people apparently, are basically giving Apple this final shot to fix a lot of FCP's limitations, or they're going to fully move over to Adobe's offering. (I can't remember the name of heir FCP equivalent, and I'm too lazy to look it up) Tuesday can't come soon enough!
  • Reply 26 of 66
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Is it my imagination or did Apple in times past buy a company that had an image editing program (like Photoshop) that Apple subsequently never did anything with?

Of course they won't, but wouldn't it be interesting if Apple came out with a creativity suite (like Adobe) which competed with After Effects, Photoshop, et al.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Marks comments did not AT ALL lead towards iPad connectivity. He was listing a series of general topics that were surely top of mind when Apple was working on the new FCP.

There "might" be some way to leverage the iPad as an input device, but it could equally or more likely be that he was referencing the iPad as a distribution platform.

The tea-leaf reading of the intentionally vague statements made by Mark and Larry Jordan are getting ridiculous.

I'm glad this is over soon.

If you watch all 4 videos you will find rhat several of the speakers discuss multitouch input/control for FCP.

This could be:

1) existing iPad

2) new iPad -- say, with TB and Retina

3) new multitouch device altogether

Consider:

CintiQ.21UX

If the FC UI support for multitouch is compelling -- a $2,000 device is a nit!
  • Reply 28 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Consider:

CintiQ.21UX

If the FC UI support for multitouch is compelling -- a $2,000 device is a nit!

I have absolutely no use for nor would know how to use, but I want it.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

This line of reasoning would also encourage the arguments for touchscreen Macs which so far, just about every Mac person here seems to be against.

No, this line of reasoning encourages having something with a touchscreen (e.g. an iPad as a remote control unit), not necessarily the computer itself. It's not like in the past we all touched the screen.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utahnguy View Post

This is kind of ironic. My brother works in the video editing field and I was just talking about this only 5 minutes ago. He was lucky enough to "NAB" a ticket (pun fully intended) literally seconds before they sold out, and he'll be there for the presentation. He was telling me about this radical new overhaul for FCP, and I thought it was kind of weird that I hadn't seen any mention of it seeing as how I check Apple rumor blogs almost daily, so I logged onto appleinsider and sure enough, it was the first story listed.

I guess there's a lot of drama among the industry about Apple's refusal to release any kind of road map for FCP, not unlike their other products, and apparently a lot of people are starting to jump ship to Adobe's offerings. Everyone is pretty worried about this new overhaul because the guy who botched iMovie is the guy now in charge of FCP. I'm not into video editing, and I've never never used FCP or any product like it, but after hearing about all the drama and excitement surrounding this new overhaul I'm pretty stoked to see what happens.

My brother is a diehard Apple guy, but he, along with a lot of other people apparently, are basically giving Apple this final shot to fix a lot of FCP's limitations, or they're going to fully move over to Adobe's offering. (I can't remember the name of heir FCP equivalent, and I'm too lazy to look it up) Tuesday can't come soon enough!

"the guy who botched iMovie is the guy now in charge of FCP"

That guy is Randy Ubillos who wrote FCP.

Final Cut Pro

... what goes around -- comes around... then goes around some more.

There is a long, but interesting, blog discussion at:

Final Cut Studio - Upgrade Predictions and Ideas!
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have absolutely no use for nor would know how to use, but I want it.

Me first, Me first.. where can I preorder?
  • Reply 32 of 66
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I literally get cramps from repetitive mouse movements in FCPro. I for one would love to have touch interface.

Why are you using a mouse? Get a tablet dude, they eliminate cramps and carpal tunnel.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    SOT

The 3D guy in the preNab video mentioned a new type of dynamic, personalized content that was shown in a demo -- truly a disruptive technology.

It is all done in HTML5, but requires a Chrome browser.

The site is here:

The Wilderness Downtown

It is certainly worth a view.

It is related to this thread, in that some feel the whole industry of video content creation and post processing is going through dramatic change.

One interesting thought I had was: This dynamic content generation is done with HTML5 -- I don't know how you'd even approach doing this with Flash.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Well, the hockey puck could be the trend in computing, and it seems the iPad is where it will be going, so using an iPad as a controller-input device would be really cool. It would also make a nice little monitor out in the field.The future iPads are only going to be more powerful and Apple seems to have a nice edge in tablet graphics. I bet it could be pretty interesting in the next few years. What if the iPad's gyro could be used for controlling viewing angles in a CGI environment. I admit, I have no idea how FCP works, but I can only imagine some cool possibilities. I'd bet that until recently, it was not feasible for the "screen" to actually be used to "move the camera." It may not even be possible yet, but likely very possible in a few years.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    does this mean we will get new Mac Pros?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Way to use the two most over-used business/life/technology quotes ever uttered.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Good chance of IMAC getting an annoucement of a refresh at the Final cut Pro event. After all what better machine to go along with the Final Pro update and how appropriate it would be. Lastly how many Apple customers would be enthused that the wait is over.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think we will see FCP on iPad, we have iMovie which is enough. What I do think would be pretty useful is that FCP on the desktop could access the movies in the iPhone or iPad directly as capture source. Say you are working in the field with a news crew and someone was able to capture some great footage on their iOS, it would be nice to be able to grab that footage without having to email it or upload it to iDisk. Just plug it into the USB (or eventually TB) port, say allow access to FCP and import into your FCP project.

This is more what I’d expect from FCP for iPad. Not a replacement or standalone app, but more of an accessory app for certain tasks. Will Lion have native AirPlay access?
    Adobe is updating Photoshop CS5 with a new architecture that will allow it to speak to iOS, Android and Blackberry tablets wirelessly. Called Photoshop CS5 Extended, the free update has plugs that allow third-party applications to communicate directly with it in real time.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

But being able to use the iPad as a tool to work with video editing software on your main computer would be interesting.

Looking forward to new Final Cut Pro tools. It's about time they get a decent update.

Exactly. If anything, they'll use the iPad as a control surface. It eliminates clumsy key commands and allows gestural input.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utahnguy View Post

I doubt Apple wants to go after the Adobe Premiere users. If they serious about the Pro market, they're chasing after Avid users.