iPad eating up use of PC, TV, radio, book reading

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The impact of Apple's iPad is already being seen in the slowing PC consumer market, but a new survey by Google's AdMob indicates iPad use is taking the place of a wide variety of other activities.

The survey of 1,400 tablet users was conducted by Google's AdMob subsidiary, which consistently referred to those interviewed as being "tablet users" rather than iPad users.

"Tablets are growing in popularity and changing the way that we consume content," the report noted. "People are spending considerable time with tablet devices and using them to play games, browse the web and search for information. Growth in the tablet market is only accelerating with companies releasing new products, and media companies and developers creating content specifically for these new devices."

The report did not note that more than 65,000 unique titles are available for Apple's iPad, while around two dozen are available for Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablet platform. The report also did not break down if any of the 1,400 users surveyed were using a tablet other than an iPad.

The survey did report that 68 percent spent at least an hour on their tablets each day, and that 82 percent said they primarily used them at home.

Only 28 percent said their tablet was their primary computer, but 77 percent said that their desktop or laptop usage decreased after they started using a tablet.

More than half said they spend more time on their tablet than listening to the radio or reading books, while more than a quarter said they spent more time on it than their computer, and a third said they now use their tablet more than they watch TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I've only had one for five days now, but I definitely use it way more than anything else. I'm sure over time I'll relax and prolly use it a hair less than my phone, but it's definitely the most fun of any of the electronics I've owned (iPhone, mbp, ds, 360, wii, ps3, etc.)
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I use it instead of paper books... But I read a LOT of books on my iPad.

I use it instead of a television... But I watch television shows and movies on the iPad.

So it hasn't really decreased the amount of time I spend reading (probably increased it), but would that time be counted as "playing with the iPad" or as "reading"?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    It's only a matter of time before tablets are the number one device people use. It will be a few years before everybody will get to experience one. In three years tablets will be the number one device used. It might be even less time.

People can get their new tablets and not upgrade their older desktop or laptop computers. They won't really need to upgrade them. The old computers can be used for the more difficult tasks when they are needed. The remainder of the time people will be using their tablets on the go.

If you aren't a movie editor or an engineer do you really need to upgrade computers very often to ensure compatibility with newer hardware? The only really new things coming out are Thunderbolt and SSDs. Those aren't needed to run older programs, so people can keep their old hardware and just get newer tablets as their latest and greatest things. The old computers will last for six or more years, maybe more since they won't be getting used as often as the tablets.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Can anybody tell me an App that he or she recommends to get rid of Admob adds? My iPhone is jailbroken.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I use it instead of a television... But I watch television shows and movies on the iPad.

So it hasn't really decreased the amount of time I spend reading (probably increased it), but would that time be counted as "playing with the iPad" or as "reading"?

You are probably typical of those saying it has replaced TV time. It's sad because Networks don't get it, they see dwindling ratings & think they need to pull back their digital content & lock things down more. It doesn't move people back from using their Tablet to watching TV again, just causes them to do other things on their tablets & then Networks loose out even more than if they just embraced the digital revolution. Sad that these people make more money than me, just a crying shame.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Tablet respectability has come a long way since the iHaters swore that the iPad would be a huge friggin' flop and no consumers would consider partially replacing their everyday computer usage with a tablet. How the hell did Microsoft and partners miss such a large audience for nearly nine whole years? Is Microsoft stupid or just too damn lazy to find out what consumers wanted. And what is even harder to believe is that Microsoft is going to do it again the same way as before. Windows X on a freakin' tablet.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:

If you are at home, why would you want to watch TV on an iPad instead of on a giant screen with surround sound. I must be missing something because I can't see how that could be an improvement.

And if you are not at home, you should be doing what you went out to do... not watch tv.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

If you are at home, why would you want to watch TV on an iPad instead of on a giant screen with surround sound. I must be missing something because I can't see how that could be an improvement.

And if you are not at home, you should be doing what you went out to do... not watch tv.

My job requires travel. Lots of travel. I spend a LOT of time in airports (and on airplanes); a dozen or so nights a month in different hotels where I often don't understand the language on the TV.

No, I don't "watch" the iPad at home.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

It's only a matter of time before tablets are the number one device people use. It will be a few years before everybody will get to experience one. In three years tablets will be the number one device used. It might be even less time.

People can get their new tablets and not upgrade their older desktop or laptop computers. They won't really need to upgrade them. The old computers can be used for the more difficult tasks when they are needed. The remainder of the time people will be using their tablets on the go.

If you aren't a movie editor or an engineer do you really need to upgrade computers very often to ensure compatibility with newer hardware? The only really new things coming out are Thunderbolt and SSDs. Those aren't needed to run older programs, so people can keep their old hardware and just get newer tablets as their latest and greatest things. The old computers will last for six or more years, maybe more since they won't be getting used as often as the tablets.

Great post Smallwheels! I have an original intel iMac and although I covet the new 27" iMacs and MBA's (sold my original intel MacBook). I think I'm going to keep the iMac tucked away on my desk in my den. Order the new iPad and an ATV (sold the old one) and along with my iP4 am good to go.

PS. You should copy this post and just paste it in for about every AI article on this subject for the next year or two!

Best
  • Reply 10 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's the device most of us have been waiting our entire adult lives for (as some of our extended childhoods), no wonder we're enchanted with the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

My job requires travel. Lots of travel. I spend a LOT of time in airports (and on airplanes); a dozen or so nights a month in different hotels where I often don't understand the language on the TV.

No, I don't "watch" the iPad at home.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

You are probably typical of those saying it has replaced TV time. It's sad because Networks don't get it, they see dwindling ratings & think they need to pull back their digital content & lock things down more. It doesn't move people back from using their Tablet to watching TV again, just causes them to do other things on their tablets & then Networks loose out even more than if they just embraced the digital revolution. Sad that these people make more money than me, just a crying shame.

It turns out that he is not typical. Now back to what you were saying...

If the networks want people to watch TV again, they need to provide content that is more intersting than playing on the tablet.

I don't see how putting the same TV content on the tablet will make someone watch that TV content more, unless they happen to be nowhere near a tv (and we have the DVR and HULU for that).

You weren't watching TV because you were doing that "other more interesting thing" on the tablet. Why would you stop doing that "other more intersting thing" on the tablet to watch TV on the tablet if it less interesting than that "other more intersting thing"?

And if the show you were going to watch is more interesting than that "other thing" on the tablet, go watch it on a big screen with a good sound system; not a freaking tablet.

• Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

And if the show you were going to watch is more interesting than that "other thing" on the tablet, go watch it on a big screen with a good sound system; not a freaking tablet.

To play devil's advocate though...

The iPad in my lap is larger in my field of view than the 46" LCD on the wall. I could plug in even Apple's cheesy headphones and it would sound just as good as the "home theater".

(But then, my ears have spent an awful lot of time sitting on top of a pair of fairly loud turbines... There may be a bit of hearing loss going on )
  • Reply 13 of 24
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Can anybody tell me an App that he or she recommends to get rid of Admob adds? My iPhone is jailbroken.

I just use a DNS cache poisoning script on my Tomato-based router. That covers everything on my network.

Naturally, this doesn't help be outside of my house, but it's the most benefit with the least work. The script updates the list of blocked sites several times a day automatically.

Frankly, if you're not blocking ads on your home network in 2011, you're effing nuts.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20000898-245.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20016517-83.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20040367-245.html
  • Reply 14 of 24
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I just use a DNS cache poisoning script on my Tomato-based router. That covers everything on my network.

Naturally, this doesn't help be outside of my house, but it's the most benefit with the least work. The script updates the list of blocked sites several times a day automatically.

Frankly, if you're not blocking ads on your home network in 2011, you're effing nuts.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20000898-245.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20016517-83.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20040367-245.html

Interesting links. How would one set that up on an Airport Extreme? Google was not much help searchng for this....
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

To play devil's advocate though...

The iPad in my lap is larger in my field of view than the 46" LCD on the wall. I could plug in even Apple's cheesy headphones and it would sound just as good as the "home theater".

(But then, my ears have spent an awful lot of time sitting on top of a pair of fairly loud turbines... There may be a bit of hearing loss going on )

One would think so, but for me at least, it's not the same. It doesn't seem like the brain is easilly tricked by the appearance of bigness.

A 65" tv is big... but it still not a movie theatre.

Maybe it's like putting your face close to a Boeing 747 model. Sure it makes it look big, but it's not like standing next to one.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I once made a battery out of a tomato for science class, but a tomato-based router is well beyond my abilities.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Tablet respectability has come a long way since the iHaters swore that the iPad would be a huge friggin' flop and no consumers would consider partially replacing their everyday computer usage with a tablet. How the hell did Microsoft and partners miss such a large audience for nearly nine whole years? Is Microsoft stupid or just too damn lazy to find out what consumers wanted. And what is even harder to believe is that Microsoft is going to do it again the same way as before. Windows X on a freakin' tablet.

The funny thing is that Bill Gates predicted that tablets would be commonly carried around by people along with pocket computers.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    grubgrub Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Buy Firewall-IP from Cydia, it's only a few bucks.

It's one of my main reasons for jailbreaking.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    This survey was completed by the firm of Captain Obvious & Associates.

I realize this type of data is important to some people, but it's like hiring a consultant to tell you what you already know.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Because, if my wife or kids are watching something I don't care for, I can entertain myself and still spend time with the rest of the family.