First-quarter Mac sales grow 9.6% in US as rest of market drops 10.7%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

Over 90% of market is still on Windows/Linux? If so, Apple still has a long way to go.

That should make people feel very good because it means that Apple can continue to grow share at reasonable rates for a long time.

On a side note with the acceptance of Apples hardware/software platform it is about time for them to increase the available model line ups. That is an XMac to start and just as importantly more laptop configurations.

In regards to the laptops Apple needs models with built in 3G GSM networking. Also the plastic Mac Book needs to see a lower price point.

Of course XMac results in a lot of noise on the forums but lets face it the Mac Pro is a dead and dying platform. It is way to big for most users, and is the wrong platform for somebody just needing modest internal expansion. Worst there is no corporate option, that is a platform where iMac isn't suitable.

In the end Apple does have a long way to go. They need more hardware to get there and frankly are slowly addressing that with very attractive machines. There is nothing but upside to these numbers. All they need to do is keep momentum going by keeping the Mac line up fresh.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    faxthatfaxthat Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

As an investor and developer it's clear the money to be made is on the fastest growing market.

iOS and OS X.

Hopefully, Mac OS penetration will eventually hit a point where Mac marginalization stops. It's still happening with Macs at 9%. But at what percentage is the Mac OS unavoidable?

Granted, Mac acceptance by web sites and vendors is better now that it was when Macs were at 5-6%. But wouldn't 15-20% make catering to the Mac OS unavoidable? I hope Apple uses some of their profits to achieve that goal.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In regards to the laptops Apple needs models with built in 3G GSM networking.

I think it better to keep that out of the machine. It locks the notebook to a subset of carriers and then Apple would have to deal with supporting multiple telco standards. I'm not a fan of plugging external stuff but a USB modem is still (imho) the best way to deal with this.

Quote:

Of course XMac results in a lot of noise on the forums but lets face it the Mac Pro is a dead and dying platform. It is way to big for most users, and is the wrong platform for somebody just needing modest internal expansion. Worst there is no corporate option, that is a platform where iMac isn't suitable.

The iMac is a totally capable machine for most users. The only thing I hate about it is the inability to change the hard drive without cracking open the entire unit, which could get ugly. I think this also is a deterrence for corporations too. The cost of the Mac Pro for hardcore users in the big picture is minimal considering the kind of work they do that requires heavy-duty horsepower.

However, if Apple incorporates SSD drives similar to the current MacBook Air and relocated the SSD cards to the bottom of the iMac and can be swapped out similarly to how the RAM modules are, and incorporate Thunderbolt ports, then as far as I'm concerned, there is no need to ever have to deal with opening up the machine, except maybe to blow compressed air into it every so often to prevent heating issues.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Hopefully, Mac OS penetration will eventually hit a point where Mac marginalization stops. It's still happening with Macs at 9%. But at what percentage is the Mac OS unavoidable?

Granted, Mac acceptance by web sites and vendors is better now that it was when Macs were at 5-6%. But wouldn't 15-20% make catering to the Mac OS unavoidable? I hope Apple uses some of their profits to achieve that goal.

I don?t get where you?re coming from at all. No one is saying that higher marketshare isn?t ?better? but you?re focusing on marketshare without any consideration for revenue or profits. As previously noted Acer has put itself in a bad position by only focusing on increased marketshare.

As wizard69 noted they can outgrow the market for a long time to come. This is good for them and investors. Based on the chart I posted and growth since calendar year 2009 Apple could be taking 40-50% of the PC market?s profits. That?s where companies need to focus if they want to succeed long term.

As for you r ?web sites and vendors? comment, where is there a void? Apple?s privately funded and open source WebKit is the most popular browser engine in use today.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think it better to keep that out of the machine. It locks the notebook to a subset of carriers and then Apple would have to deal with supporting multiple telco standards. I'm not a fan of plugging external stuff but a USB modem is still (imho) the best way to deal with this.

I think the best way is to use a mini-PCIe card Ã* la the AirPort cards used by previous Mac notebooks. You can buy it installed, install yourself or have a Genius do it the way they install Apple RAM.

This way, even after moving to a Â?full world modeÂ? option that is small and efficient the consumer can choose to have orr not have this card installed.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

On a side note with the acceptance of Apples hardware/software platform it is about time for them to increase the available model line ups. That is an XMac to start and just as importantly more laptop configurations.

I expect an iOS-based, HW RAIDed home server solution before I?d expect the elusive and equivocal xMac to appear.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Bought the 15" MacBook Pro last month and thouroughly enjoy it. Can't wait for Lion and the Windows Migrator and I can finally say good by to all things PC. I used to be a die hard PC, talking smack about Apple until the 13" MacBook that my wife bought me turned me into a fanboy and I haven't looked back.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post

Apple may have sold as many as 7-8 million iPad computers during this first quarter, so Apple actually grew a lot more than these people are reporting. A LOT more.

If you add 7 million iPads to Apple's numbers it looks roughly like this:

Apple 36%

HP 19%

Dell 16%

Toshiba 7%

Acer 6%

Other 16%

Not bad.

EDIT: Duh. Stupidly added international iPad figures to US sales. Disregard.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Personally I never understood why "Netbook" became a category by itself. To me it was just a shit laptop!

To many of us, the terms were synonymous.

But like many things on the net, the shorter, single word won out.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

If you add 7 million iPads to Apple's numbers it looks roughly like this:

Apple 36%

HP 19%

Dell 16%

Toshiba 7%

Acer 6%

Other 16%

Not bad.

Yay! Real numbers! Thank you!
  • Reply 31 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'm certain most readers noted that the figures highlighted first in the AI article were US market only.

Full press release: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Swaths-Growth

As noted by more than one poster, Apple still appears to garner a much healthier net profit as a percentage of revenue, of course proving market share may be good for bragging rights but no assurance of a healthy bottom line.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    was going to post looking for global figures, but as i was asking, Gatorguy was posting a link...
  • Reply 33 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

this is great news for Apple - now i'm wondering what the global figures are...

anyone have a link?

See the previous post to yours for the link.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,298member
    It's been a lot of fun over the last year to watch the Apple-haters squirm in the face of the iPad. Paul Thurott is the poster child for this. He started off the iPad year pleading with his readers not to buy an iPad. He later insisted that the iPad's sales were trivial and having no effect on PC sales. I can't wait to hear his explanation for Acer...
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

I've got to agree . . . I work in a school district that is all pc. I use my personal macbook at work, but the tech department wants nothing to do with Macs. If I have any tech issues they just blow me off. I hope some day apple will gain enough market share that they will be supported in more environments.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    urrently, it has to do with the Nasdaq readjusting Apple's shares. Apple used to account for something like 21 percent of the Nasdaq. By the end of the month, Apple shares will account for something like 12 percent.

So all the money managers at mutual funds in the world that track the Nasdaq have to sell roughly eight percent of their Apple holdings regardless of how Apple is doing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Seeing this chart, you'd have to wonder why Apple's share price is continually dropping. If Apple is pretty much outperforming the rest of the computer industry and not even counting the iPad 2, most would think that Apple is doing rather well on the revenue front. Already there are analysts trying to take Apple shares down further by mentioning "weak" guidance. If Apple is being said to have "weak" guidance then what are the rest of those computer companies guiding. Apple, the company, has continued to perform very well in this economy and there's no reason why it shouldn't continue to perform. So, what's with the "weak" guidance. Will Apple be the only computer company affected by the Japan disaster? I honestly do not understand Apple's recent share performance at all.

• Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarvis8484 View Post

I've got to agree . . . I work in a school district that is all pc. I use my personal macbook at work, but the tech department wants nothing to do with Macs. If I have any tech issues they just blow me off. I hope some day apple will gain enough market share that they will be supported in more environments.

I?m not sure why marketshare gets so much play around here. Would your iT department support HP notebooks over Thinkpads simply because they have more marketshare or would they support the HW they are trained and paid to support, likely from the PCs they lease. I?d think it?s the latter.

Apple won?t have a high marketshare in business because of their business model. Companies that only used Mac OS X can only use Macs and therefore are at the mercy of Apple for all their purchases. There are no big discounts. There are no roadmaps. There is no letting PC vendors undercut each other to get your business.

This is Apple?s choice and I don?t see them changing it anytime soon. It works great for their profits but it limits their ability to monopolize.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Over 90% of market is still on Windows/Linux? If so, Apple still has a long way to go.

Why do you say Windows/Linux. Their respective numbers aren't close to being the same. Windows share is what? Linux share is what? Lumping them them together makes Linux appear more relevant than it is.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

urrently, it has to do with the Nasdaq readjusting Apple's shares. Apple used to account for something like 21 percent of the Nasdaq. By the end of the month, Apple shares will account for something like 12 percent.

So all the money managers at mutual funds in the world that track the Nasdaq have to sell roughly eight percent of their Apple holdings regardless of how Apple is doing.

Technically correct but also very flawed and misleading.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I used to have an Acer notebook, back in the day... I remember that the logo was painted on and would start to run when I cleaned the lid. Quality: Acer hasn't it.

Acer is bottom end by their own admission. A few years ago Acer said they were going to lower prices until they took over certain market areas, such as Netbooks. \