First-quarter Mac sales grow 9.6% in US as rest of market drops 10.7%

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

iPad tore it a new one.

I'd say the new Macbook Air combined with the iPad is pretty much squeezing the remaining blood from the Netbook corpse ... Microsoft and Intel conspired to (and succeeded in) kill the netbook back in '08 with the graphics-incompetent Atom and Windows Starter.

The Macbook Air 11" is what the netbook should have been. It's really fast on commonplace use-cases due to the SSD, feather-light, and unlike netbooks, the input devices are top-notch. Not to mention it's dead-sexy.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I expect an iOS-based, HW RAIDed home server solution before I?d expect the elusive and equivocal xMac to appear.

I as well. I'm still wavering on a NAS setup for this purpose... whether to go Synology or QNAP... or use a MacMini with FW storage. I've been hoping that Apple would/will recognize this huge market for a couple of years now.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    From 7% marketshare 1stQ 2010 to 8.5% 1st Q 2011 is a 21.5% increase
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:

Using the holiday numbers for the iPad we have 7.33 million units we get 8.705 million units. That?s 4.36 million more than HP would now now be at position #2. It?s also about 700% growth YoY.

Huh? Maybe it's the fumes from the paint job I'm in the middle of but the above makes no sense to me whatsoever, and from Soli, I have believe it's the fumes.

I'll check back later when my head clears...
  • Reply 45 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Huh? Maybe it's the fumes from the paint job I'm in the middle of but the above makes no sense to me whatsoever, and from Soli, I have believe it's the fumes.

I'll check back later when my head clears...

I could have been more clear.

If we include iPads in the PC numbers we get 8.7 million making Apple the largest vendor of ?PCs?. I added last quarter?s iPad numbers with these estimates for Mac unit sales to get an estimation of how far ahead Apple will be over the competition if tablets were considered ?PCs?.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is an XMac to start...

Of course XMac results in a lot of noise on the forums but lets face it the Mac Pro is a dead and dying platform.

I tried a google search on the term Apple Xmac and got nowhere. What is the xmac and where is there speculation and rumor about it?

Just curious...
  • Reply 47 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I tried a google search on the term Apple Xmac and got nowhere. What is the xmac and where is there speculation and rumor about it?

Just curious...

Nothing big. It’s just using the same iMac notation to refer to a Mac with an unknown variable, hence xMac. Though it commonly envisioned as a desktop tower with removable components that is considerably smaller and cheaper than the Mac Pro. Usually a single processor and something more consumer orientated.

If they are going to use mathamtic notation to refer to a Mac then iMac would be most apropos as it’s an imaginary unit.

edit: • http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits/2005/10/1676.ars
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:

If they are going to use mathematic notation to refer to a Mac then iMac would be most apropos as it?s an imaginary unit.

Soli, I hold you responsible for the splatter of coffee now dripping from my monitor! That's the best math joke I've read in a long time. And I've seen some pretty irrational ones lately.

Cheers!
  • Reply 49 of 50
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Okay, so I know that this is an Apple blog, but shouldn't the headline be more along the lines of, "Apple, Toshiba defy Market"?

They both have similar market share and they both grew when others went down. The headline is a little deceiving, no?

Just saying...
  • Reply 50 of 50
    i just got my first mac computer. after having loved my iphone after trying android first. and then deciding to get an ipad and loving that. i felt comfortable making the leap from pc to mac. And just like the previous two apple products i love my imac, it's great. easy to use, quiet. and the screen is awesome.

i switched because i am tired of the pc quality. i like windows 7, it's a great os. i bought an acer computer a few years back, and it only lasted a year. ill never get another acer, if all it could manage was a year. that was terrible. so i tried a dell computer, and that one started crashing after a couple years. and giving blue screen errors telling me that one of the cores on the processor failed. so it kept crashing. so finally i decided enough was enough, and went to best buy and got a 27 inch imac. i figure i will have better hardware luck since apple had to design all the main boards in the imac. the only thing i am worried about is dust clogging it up.