Safari 5.0.5, Xcode 4.0.2, Mac OS X security updates released by Apple

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released a number of security and maintenance updates for its software, including Safari 5.0.5, Xcode 4.0.2, and Security Update 2011-002 for Mac OS X.

Safari 5.0.5 is available via Software Update or direct from Apple. It includes the latest security updates for the browser, which runs on Mac OS X 10.6.5, Mac OS X 10.5.8, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

A number of security updates for Snow Leopard and Leopard are also available. They are recommended for all users, and links to them are included below:

Snow Leopard Security Update 2011-002

Leopard - Client Security Update 2011-002

Leopard - Server Security Update 2011-002

Finally, along with the newly released iOS 4.3.2, which also arrived on Thursday, Apple has also issued an update for its Xcode development software. Users can download Xcode 4.0.2 through the Mac App Store, where it sells for $4.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Less than 35MB for Safari and Security Update. I wish they would do that for iOS, too.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    The doc detailing security patch is not yet available on Apple's website.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Less than 35MB for Safari and Security Update. I wish they would do that for iOS, too.

Yes! What is it with those ios updates that require a full system download and re-install? With backups the whole process takes an eon.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

I would *love* if they did that for Xcode. 4.0.1 was 4.5 GB, same size as original. Don't know about 4.0.2 yet, likely the same size.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes! What is it with those ios updates that require a full system download and re-install? With backups the whole process takes an eon.

I wish they would do that for Xcode. The 4.0.1 upgrade was a full 4.3gb download. 4.0.2 hasn't shown up on the App Store yet, but I suspect it will be an equally hefty download...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I would *love* if they did that for Xcode. 4.0.1 was 4.5 GB, same size as original. Don't know about 4.0.2 yet, likely the same size.

Doh!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I?m going to ignore the Xcode update for that very reason.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I wish they would do that for Xcode. The 4.0.1 upgrade was a full 4.3gb download. 4.0.2 hasn't shown up on the App Store yet, but I suspect it will be an equally hefty download...

Great minds... and all that. Or do you guys sit next to each other?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The good is new software! Yippie.

The bad is 5GB of data to download.

I don't mind the iOS update as that is viable and avoids issues that have plaques other OSes over the years. But 4.5 GB fir every XCode update is crap.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Is it an indication of how secure Mac OS is that the security update is only 4MB!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Great minds... and all that. Or do you guys sit next to each other?

They were both posted by me on two different machines simultaneously
  • Reply 12 of 23
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Is it an indication of how secure Mac OS is that the security update is only 4MB!

"A fault in the Certificates Trust Policy?"

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...&subj=MacFixIt
  • Reply 13 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Maybe it only gets tiny bugs
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

They were both posted by me on two different machines simultaneously

Cool. Its Ambidextrousman! Do it again!
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    It looks like we will have to wait for a 5.5 or 6.0 before the official release of a Safari that is HTML 5 Parser complete.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

I'm so tired of people bitching about "the size" of iOS updates.

They do it that way cause:

- it's easier

- it's less likely to go wrong

- it gives everyone the exact same OS

- it doesn't take that much longer

Seriously, it only takes ten minutes tops.

Most of that time is taken up by the same sort of processes that would have to run even if it was a smaller make-package. So it's like ten minutes versus 7 or 8 minutes, and the upside is huge both for Apple and for the users in general. Changing the process by making it more complicated and more error prone, just so a few antsy types won't get upset (and lets face it they will get upset anyway), would be foolish.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not everybody has a super fast internet connection. It takes me six hours to download the iOS update and three days to download the Xcode update. As "green" as Apple likes to be, you would think they would try to minimize download sizes to save on the carbon footprint their network traffic generates. It isn't very hard to offer incremental updates.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I?m going to ignore the Xcode update for that very reason.

It's getting ridiculous. A small point update keeps on requiring a 4GB download. Bandwidth doesn't grow on trees.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They do it that way cause:

- it's easier

- it's less likely to go wrong

- it gives everyone the exact same OS

- it doesn't take that much longer

Seriously, it only takes ten minutes tops.

Most of that time is taken up by the same sort of processes that would have to run even if it was a smaller make-package. So it's like ten minutes versus 7 or 8 minutes, and the upside is huge both for Apple and for the users in general. Changing the process by making it more complicated and more error prone, just so a few antsy types won't get upset (and lets face it they will get upset anyway), would be foolish.

iOS updates I can handle, I understand that. Xcode updates, now that's harder to swallow.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Updated. Except for bloody Xcode.