Briefly: RIM defends PlayBook, It Gets Better employee video, white iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Balsillie remained optimistic about projected sales of the PlayBook, which goes on sale in Canada and the U.S. on Apr. 19. ?I like our chances for a lot of share,? he said. ?We?re very excited about where we are.?

Eerily reminiscent of when Ballmer criticized the iPhone and said he liked Microsoft's mobile strategy a lot.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    So when I used to see Blackberries I imagined some guys sitting around a table and saying: "Let's see if we can make these little buttons any smaller?and think up an even goofier pattern to put them in". It turns out these were the guys? And now they're going to take on tablets? That should go well....
  • Reply 23 of 60
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I finally got my iPad 2 today and i love it. I'm sitting in front of my 27" iMac and typing all my emails on my iPad instead.

When I think that the playbook has less than half the screen of the iPad 2 it really makes me think, what's the point?

The only thing I wish is that more people would get with the program and get rid of flash already!

I'll take your iMac if you find it obsolete.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:

I finally got my iPad 2 today and i love it. I'm sitting in front of my 27" iMac and typing all my emails on my iPad instead.

When I think that the playbook has less than half the screen of the iPad 2 it really makes me think, what's the point?

The only thing I wish is that more people would get with the program and get rid of flash already!

I envy you, I'm still waiting for iPad 2 to officially come here..

Exactly, like every reviewers out there have said it: there's no good reason for users to choose PlayBook over the better choice: iPad 2.

I think Flash will survive another year or two because tablet makers (other than Apple) are touting it as an important 'feature' to compete with iPad, what else can they say that the iPad can't do. Even Adobe realize it, it's only a matter of time.. So in the mean time, we'll have to endure the pain of having Flash around..
  • Reply 25 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

iPad 2 is pretty awesome. Using it feels like this is what a tablet should be like. iPad 1 now seems laggy in comparison. iPad 2 is fluid, "snappy" and quite a lot of decent apps out now.

We're already in mid-April. 2011 is indeed the year of the iPad 2. It will take the competitors another half a year just to refine their "iPad killlers".

As for smartphones, well, meh I was never into phones that much anyway. I'm really hoping I don't get the iPhone 5, because my iPhone 4 is doing quite nicely and can take me into another year easily, I reckon! But knowing Apple...
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'll take your iMac if you find it obsolete.

Damn, I was about to say that..
  • Reply 27 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

I envy you, I'm still waiting for iPad 2 to officially come here..

Well, for us in South East Asia (I'm in Malaysia) it's always painful waiting for the official release. I didn't waste my time this time around. Got it from the grey market but from a source I trust (I got my iPad 1 from him, and he travels quite frequently to Australia so he can get warranty support plus Singapore is launching officially end of this month).

By the time the official launch happens here and you actually get your hands on one, just a several months later and a new model is out in the US, Europe and Australia. Then you're back to waiting for the models.

I got my iPad 2 about a month after the official US launch and I have no regrets so far, even though I paid quite a premium for just a 16GB WiFi only model. Plus, I might still be able to resell my iPad 1 for a reasonable amount because iPad 2 may not be launched in Malaysia for at least another month or two. Though I like having another iPad as a "backup".

If you love it, and won't have to live on the streets paying for it, find a trusted source and go for it.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, for us in South East Asia (I'm in Malaysia) it's always painful waiting for the official release. I didn't waste my time this time around. Got it from the grey market but from a source I trust (I got my iPad 1 from him, and he travels quite frequently to Australia so he can get warranty support plus Singapore is launching officially end of this month).

By the time the official launch happens here and you actually get your hands on one, just a several months later and a new model is out in the US, Europe and Australia. Then you're back to waiting for the models.

I got my iPad 2 about a month after the official US launch and I have no regrets so far, even though I paid quite a premium for just a 16GB WiFi only model. Plus, I might still be able to resell my iPad 1 for a reasonable amount because iPad 2 may not be launched in Malaysia for at least another month or two. Though I like having another iPad as a "backup".

If you love it, and won't have to live on the streets paying for it, find a trusted source and go for it.

That's what I did, same like you, for the iPad 1 I hold now in my hand.

But apparently, the iPad 2 is harder to get nowadays even in the grey market and even if I'm willing to pay a *highly* premium price for it. I guess I'm just unlucky enough to find a better source, but lucky enough to feel satisfied with my current iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    One of our clients moved from blackberry to iPhone and after a year of using iPhones are potentially looking to go back to blackberry. They had 2 main bugbears with the iPhone. One was the device kept resetting during calls and the second was having to use iTunes even though they did not sync music.

The first issue was solved in minutes, when they eventually told us they were having problems, we restored the iPhone 3GS and set it up as n new phone. Then after putting their email etc back it worked flawlessly.

After this iTunes became a mute point as they were only in iTunes so often because ther kept doing a restore when they tried to fix the resetting issue.

These are older guys and although they were fine for a year and had only an issue recently I think that they would be better on a blackberry as it's features are limited. Now, when I look at them as blackberry users I can in no way imagine them being able to get to grips with a playbook let alone pair it with their blackberry.

New blackberry users are now older folks picking up free handsets on £10 per month contracts. It would seem unlikely that they would be interested in the playbook. I can see RIM having a hard sell on this, especially as many blackberry users are stuck in their ways an potentially technically inept.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

I find myself doing the same. I got the 32gb 3G iPad 2 and it's been great. On my desk I have my 27" quad core iMac, my 17" HP laptop my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4. I have barely used the iPhone for anything other than calls since getting the iPad 2 and the iMac pretty much just runs world of Warcraft these days while the HP is used for remote support connections. The iPad 2 is used for all my email and browsing.

I have no issues with flash, I have yet to find a site that I need to use which has flash on it. I run ad block and click to flash on the iMac and flash/ad blocker on the HP in firefox.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

That's a beautiful, moving video.

Yay to Apple and their employees.

Especially the sexy bears.

Seconded!
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Seconded!

Thirded

The It Gets Better Project is so inspiring and this contribution from Apple employees is very welcome and beautiful. Human beings can be so great and amidst all the mayhem out there it's good to be reminded of that.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    It's probably not appropriate for Apple employees to be using the company's name for their own personal agenda's like this.

Apple as a brand should stay away from these kinds of politically charged issues and focus on computers.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    xamianxamian Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

It's probably not appropriate for Apple employees to be using the company's name for their own personal agenda's like this.

Apple as a brand should stay away from these kinds of politically charged issues and focus on computers.

You mean politically charged issues, such as trying to reach out to young people in hopes of preventing suicides? Gotcha.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

yep.

They haven't really created a tablet but rather a tablet sized add on screen to a blackberry. chances are that few folks really want that particular tech, especially compared to those that would want a stand alone device

A 500-800$ accessory to the BlackBerry ( if you accidently happen to own one ). How cool is that?\
  • Reply 36 of 60
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

At RIM, PlayBears.

You said "rim" and "bears" in the same sentence.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davida View Post

One of the Apple employees in the video is Randy Ubillos, of Final Cut Pro fame. See http://rickandrandy.com/

And my friends tell me I overshare on Facebook! That's a cute site and they're a cute couple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Thirded

The It Gets Better Project is so inspiring and this contribution from Apple employees is very welcome and beautiful. Human beings can be so great and amidst all the mayhem out there it's good to be reminded of that.

Yes, it's good to see the human side of Apple. A video is much more personal than a tweet.

Quote:

I didn't know human rights were a "politically charged issue".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

You mean politically charged issues, such as trying to reach out to young people in hopes of preventing suicides? Gotcha.

Exactly. Great point, Xamian.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

I would have totally agreed with this statement if this case was really about something that could legitimately be considered 'politically charged', but equal rights for gay people seems so obvious that you'd have to be a real bigot if you are a politician and sincerely want to make this a 'politically charged issue'. It's in the same category as efforts against racism, or funding research for new medicine, it doesn't hurt anyone and it's good for society overall.

I know some people profoundly disagree with gay marriage, and that's their good right, but in this case I think these people should just accept the fact that the world will always be full of things they disagree with, and not make a politically charged issue out of it.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    "..offering a rare glimpse into the personal lives of employees of the notoriously secretive company."

I do not think Apple is notoriously secretive. 'Notorious' means famous for some bad quality or deed. When was it 'bad' for a company to want to keep its development plans confidential? 'Famously secretive' would be OK, though.

We can see how despite its best efforts, the opportunities for leaks during product development cycles are many and continuous, particularly from component suppliers. So instead of a sudden announcement that the iPhone now includes Near Field Communications (NFC) technology enabling electronic wallet transactions at retail tills (which would be a great product announcement) we get a dripfeed of speculation and rumour leading to media coverage which eventually starts to complain about what is taking Apple so long to get NFC, such that when it finally arrives, analysts lead off with "Apple has at long last caught up with NFC etc. etc."

I for one am glad Apple keeps its cards close to its chest because I can hardly contain myself thinking about how I must have the products that actually launch, let alone driving myself into an expectant frenzy about features that may never see the light of day!
  • Reply 39 of 60
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

...I think these people should just accept the fact that the world will always be full of things they disagree with, and not make a politically charged issue out of it.

This reminds me of a quote I heard or read, somewhere. "Saying you don't approve of gay people is like saying you don't approve of rain."

Another beautiful video. Nothing like coming into work and tearing up at your desk. At least it's Friday and hardly anyone is around.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

This reminds me of a quote I heard or read, somewhere. "Saying you don't approve of gay people is like saying you don't approve of rain."

Another beautiful video. Nothing like coming into work and tearing up at your desk. At least it's Friday and hardly anyone is around.

Aww, so cute.

---

I wonder if the video was edited in Final Cut Pro X? :-)