Briefly: RIM defends PlayBook, It Gets Better employee video, white iPhone 4

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

It's probably not appropriate for Apple employees to be using the company's name for their own personal agenda's like this.

Apple as a brand should stay away from these kinds of politically charged issues and focus on computers.

Pretty much every company, including the one I work for, has a large diversity initiative. Imagine where Apple would be if they decided not to embrace these workers? If they felt oppressed, do you think they would have worked as hard to create the products all of us are using? Nope, not even close. I think its great that apple is taking the lead on this initiative.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    robotrobot Posts: 10member
    A beautifully moving video, bravo to those involved in it.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Good video! I hadn?t even heard of that program. Adobe?s is good too, but it?s kind of classy that the Apple employees? video never mention Apple or show Apple products (the Adobe video does, although not laid on super thick).

I think we can all take inspiration from this and not pick on Playbook users (if any).
  • Reply 44 of 60
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

It's probably not appropriate for Apple employees to be using the company's name for their own personal agenda's like this.

Apple as a brand should stay away from these kinds of politically charged issues and focus on computers.

So you imagine a bunch of Apple employees got together and filmed this, then released it on the net, all without Apple's knowledge or approval?

Apple is very progressive with social issues and I can guarantee you this video was done with the blessings of every top person in the company.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Good video! I hadn’t even heard of that program. Adobe’s is good too, but it’s kind of classy that the Apple employees’ video never mention Apple or show Apple products (the Adobe video does, although not laid on super thick).

I think we can all take inspiration from this and not pick on Playbook users (if any).

I can see where you're coming from. Just as gay people are born gay and shouldn't be mocked for it, PlayBook users are born idiots and shouldn't be teased for that either. It's just so hard not to...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    I would so love to see some real research numbers on tablet weight and arm fatigue.

RIM is right it, weighs less, but I think once you cross a certain threshold it doesn't matter, lite is lite enough, and I think iPad2 does/did this.

My arm would notice my v1 iPad after a bit, not at all with my v2.

So then you just have their claims to portability but it doesn't really fit in a pocket, etc.

So given that you just look at the screen and battery life and the choice is obvious.

If they fix the apps issues and make a 10" one, a year from now could be interesting.

With ipad2, TouchPad, and a 10" PB.... not sure why the avg user would choose an android tablet.

The target audience / avg user of a tablet wants total ease and integration, not the erector set geek it out that comes with the android tabs, IMO.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    My right arm is TOTALLY gay and doesn't mind the heft of the iPad. Nor does it use a Blackberry. So I'm fine with this article.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In recent years, Apple has been rated as the top "gay-friendly" tech company, according to one survey.

In 2008, the company made a rare political statement by donating $100,000 to the campaign opposing Proposition 8, a California measure that sought to ban gay marriage.

Apple is a GAY company that just came out 3 years ago when everyone else "came out."

That is why they are so secretive. Look at their products... they're so.... "happy"
  • Reply 49 of 60
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'll take your iMac if you find it obsolete.

LOL. Sorry, I'm an architect so I'm afraid it's not going anywhere. But the iPad2 makes it much easier to view plans than on my iPhone4.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robot View Post

A beautifully moving video, bravo to those involved in it.

Agreed. I hate to see someone in so much obvious pain....I like how it gets positive towards the end! Great video.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Apple is a GAY company that just came out 3 years ago when everyone else "came out."

Really? They have openly offered benefits to gay/lesbian "partners" for a long time, since 1993.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

You said "rim" and "bears" in the same sentence.

Was waiting to see when someone would catch that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steftheref View Post

"..offering a rare glimpse into the personal lives of employees of the notoriously secretive company."

I do not think Apple is notoriously secretive. 'Notorious' means famous for some bad quality or deed. When was it 'bad' for a company to want to keep its development plans confidential? 'Famously secretive' would be OK, though.

I think "notorious" does not mean "bad" just like "badass" means "good".
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think "notorious" does not mean "bad"

Sorry, you think wrong.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed. I hate to see someone in so much obvious pain....I like how it gets positive towards the end! Great video.

Yes! But...

WTF?!?! Now the video has been removed and replaced with this statement:

"This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy on the depiction of harmful activities."

What's up with that, Google?
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:

Yes! But...

WTF?!?! Now the video has been removed and replaced with this statement:

"This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy on the depiction of harmful activities."

What's up with that, Google?

Edit: Probably a "glitch" by our Google overlords. It's fine now.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    "...offering a rare glimpse into the personal lives of employees of the notoriously secretive company."

My problem with that statement isn't the use of "notoriously," but the implied connection between Apple's industrial secrecy and the personal lives of Apple employees. Those have nothing to do with each other. I would hope that every company, secretive or open about its business, is "secretive" about the personal lives of its employees.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Quote:

Edit: Probably a "glitch" by our Google overlords. It's fine now.

*Phew!*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gslusher View Post

"...offering a rare glimpse into the personal lives of employees of the notoriously secretive company."

My problem with that statement isn't the use of "notoriously," but the implied connection between Apple's industrial secrecy and the personal lives of Apple employees. Those have nothing to do with each other. I would hope that every company, secretive or open about its business, is "secretive" about the personal lives of its employees.

Wait, in this case a secretive company is not being secretive about its employees, and that's a good thing. Apple isn't "exposing" its employees in any way; I'm sure this was 100% voluntary.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:

Apple isn't "exposing" its employees in any way; I'm sure this was 100% voluntary.

LOL imagine if some other company wanted to do it for PR purposes... "Memo to all employees - if you are gay (and we will figure it out if you deny it) you must participate in our video."
  • Reply 59 of 60
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

LOL imagine if some other company wanted to do it for PR purposes... "Memo to all employees - if you are gay (and we will figure it out if you deny it) you must participate in our video."

As you enter the employee entrance, you must pass through our new security machine, the Gaydar 2000.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    dunnydunny Posts: 2member