Apple profits soar 95% on 18.65M iPhones, 4.69M iPads and 3.76M Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Why are the results always declared at the end of the day?

They wait until the US stock market closes for the day. It's common practice.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    wowotoewowotoe Posts: 11member
    So we can pretty much guess Verizon's iPhone sales from all these numbers, right?

18.65 mils of iPhone sold last quarter. 41% of total sales profit from U.S. (assuming total Mac sales profit is lot smaller than total iPhone sales). 3.6 mils of iPhone activated by AT&T. So the math goes like (18.65 * 0.41) - 3.6 = 4.04 mils.

If its not over 4mils I do believe Vzw will have roughly the same iphone activation number comparing to AT&T
  • Reply 23 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    "According to a study by the International Data Corporation (IDC), the worldwide smartphone market is expected to grow by 49.2% in the year 2011. In 2010, venders shipped 303.4 million smartphones, and that number is expected to climb to over 450 million this year."

Extrapolating from the past two quarters, and assuming a launch of the new iPhone by Sept., I'd guess perhaps 90 million iPhones to be sold in calendar year 2011? If so that would be about 20% of the total volume predicted by IDC. Not bad for one company.

Then again we are talking about a projection
  • Reply 24 of 96
    I am no expert with tech companies but a 24.8 percent net profit margin looks pretty amazing. That's usually the EBITDA margin! Lol
  • Reply 25 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"According to a study by the International Data Corporation (IDC), the worldwide smartphone market is expected to grow by 49.2% in the year 2011. In 2010, venders shipped 303.4 million smartphones, and that number is expected to climb to over 450 million this year."

Extrapolating from the past two quarters, and assuming a launch of the new iPhone by Sept., I'd guess perhaps 90 million iPhones to be sold in calendar year 2011? If so that would be about 20% of the total volume predicted by IDC. Not bad for one company.

Then again we are talking about a projection

They could do much better than that . Assume 110% growth throughout the year and you get much higher. December would be 32 million alone. I would see 100-110 M. With cheaper models they would be much higher.
  • Reply 26 of 96
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Another amazing quarter.
  • Reply 27 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They could do much better than that . Assume 110% growth throughout the year and you get much higher. December would be 32 million alone. I would see 100-110 M. With cheaper models they would be much higher.

Yes they could. That was just my personal wild-ass estimate. Just feelin my oats from my pretty close guess on sales of various Apple product lines prior to today's announcement.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I guess in technical terms that is called "kicking a$$ and taking names...."
  • Reply 29 of 96
    Okay so $26.74 billion for quarter number one and $24.67 billion for quarter number two, what do you think we are looking at for the year...? Well over 100 Billion...?
  • Reply 30 of 96
    Ya think? They'd have to go backward not to hit $100B.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    All in all, amazing numbers. The odd one out is iPad. Or rather, how iPad sales and the comments by the executive gel with wait times for the product.

Ie lower than expected sales (not broken down iPad v iPad 2) v improved availability?

This is more puzzling given the supposed supply constraints out of Japan.

Two possibilities spring to mind.

1. Supply has amped up considerably despite supposed supply constraints.

2. Demand is not as strong as expected.

Perhaps the iPad as a general computing device may not be a two year refresh cycle for consumers?

Thoughts?
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

All in all, amazing numbers. The odd one out is iPad. Or rather, how iPad sales and the comments by the executive gel with wait times for the product.

Ie lower than expected sales (not broken down iPad v iPad 2) v improved availability?

This is more puzzling given the supposed supply constraints out of Japan.

Two possibilities spring to mind.

1. Supply has amped up considerably despite supposed supply constraints.

2. Demand is not as strong as expected.

Perhaps the iPad as a general computing device may not be a two year refresh cycle for consumers?

Thoughts?

They clearly said that demand ( as we know) exceeded supply. And that channel inventory was lower than they would hope.

I think the high estimates were off base - the iPad 1 is done, and out of inventory everywhere, but iPad 2 is not available everywhere. So comparing Q-Q growth: the US and the ten ( or so) countries where Apple were shipping the iPad2 would have to compete with the 100 or so where it was available in December Q.
  • Reply 33 of 96
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I hope the earnings are going to compensate for the security news that just drop on Apple today

http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/

this has the potential to crush apple, has a stock owner and iphone owner this is scaring me a lot.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I hope the earnings are going to compensate for the security news that just drop on Apple today

this has the potential to crush apple, has a stock owner and iphone owner this is scaring me a lot.

We have a thread on that.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Quote:

They clearly said that demand ( as we know) exceeded supply. And that channel inventory was lower than they would hope.

I think the high estimates were off base - the iPad 1 is done, and out of inventory everywhere, but iPad 2 is not available everywhere. So comparing Q-Q growth: the US and the ten ( or so) countries where Apple were shipping the iPad2 would have to compete with the 100 or so where it was available in December.

Which would jibe with my comment elsewhere that (I'm guessing) Apple pushed up the release of the ipad2 much sooner than originally planned to grab media attention away from scheduled press conferences by Motorola. Probably would have worked out OK except for an earthquake.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

You must be new. This is a non-issue.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

Okay so $26.74 billion for quarter number one and $24.67 billion for quarter number two, what do you think we are looking at for the year...? Well over 100 Billion...?

Apple will probably do over $100 billion for the year and some analyst(s) will find fault with the numbers.

It's incredible that the iPod is still selling just 9 million a quarter.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Exactly. I'm trying to work out how those statements match improved availability and the Japan externality (if that has any effect at all) and lower overall sales. Perhaps initial supply was not what it was thought to be. Youy probably have a point there.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    Their sell-through was 5.1 million. Since some of that was a reduction ( to zero) of iPad 1 channel inventory booked in the last quarter it doesn't count as sales. It indicates that all iPad 1's sold out and the iPad 2 is backlogged. As we would guess.

he said that Japan had no material effect.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

The street thinks $100.75B revenue and $23.03 EPS.

My guess is that revenue will be closer to $107B and $27.50 EPS.