Verizon announces 2.2M activations of Apple's iPhone in Q1 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I know thats the subsidized price. The far majority of people are buying subsidized phones. An expectation of Apple to compete by offering a cheaper unsubsidized phone is something that no one else is doing.

Tim Cook said it would happen. FFS. Even in this conference call he said he is aware of the huge market for PAYG phones. If they want to compete in China, and elsewhere as the market becomes commodifed they will have to go cheaper unsubsidised.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

Well it's 2.2 M Verizon to 3.6 M AT&T, but there is no failure there when you consider this:

The quarter had 90 day and Verizon had the iPhone for 50 of those. Divide 50 by 90 and you have .555556. Multiply that by AT&Ts 3.6 Million to compare and you get 2M Phones at AT&T for same 50 days. So if Verizon had same sales all quarter they would be at around 3.96 to 4 M iPhones, beating AT&T.

So to me it looks like Apple just more than doubled there market in the US. That is a horrible fail.

Contrast that with more than a half M 4G phones (likely all Android) including the 260,000 HTC Thunderbolt handsets in two weeks (so 1/2 of the 1/2 Million were Thunderbolt). Thunderbolt numbers suggest a rollout of 1.7 M Thunderbolts a quarter if sale did not die down due demand tapering off or the next greatest Android phone to come out in XX days.

Thats an amazing statistic. It means that in a full quarter Apple will sell more in the US than the world last year.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

Well it's 2.2 M Verizon to 3.6 M AT&T, but there is no failure there when you consider this:

The quarter had 90 day and Verizon had the iPhone for 50 of those. Divide 50 by 90 and you have .555556. Multiply that by AT&Ts 3.6 Million to compare and you get 2M Phones at AT&T for same 50 days. So if Verizon had same sales all quarter they would be at around 3.96 to 4 M iPhones, beating AT&T.

So to me it looks like Apple just more than doubled there market in the US. That is a horrible fail.

Contrast that with more than a half M 4G phones (likely all Android) including the 260,000 HTC Thunderbolt handsets in two weeks (so 1/2 of the 1/2 Million were Thunderbolt). Thunderbolt numbers suggest a rollout of 1.7 M Thunderbolts a quarter if sale did not die down due demand tapering off or the next greatest Android phone to come out in XX days.

I am sure a big part of AT&Ts advantage in the quarter (besides time) is they can sell the 3GS for $49. It is absurd that people think selling 2.2 million phones in 7 weeks is some sort of failure. When you consider the phone has been on the market 7 months, it almost defies belief.

There has not been a phone released in the past 7 months that has attracted more demand then the iPhone. It is likely still the most in demand phone on the market today.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

My prediction is that counting each phone badged as "Android" will out grow the iPhone on Verizon.

Because all of the Android manufacturers are willing to introduce an "awesome new Android phone" every couple of weeks. No one phone will ever outsell the iPhone on Verizon.

My prediction is that if Android continues on its current path, Android as a congruent platform will collapse under its own weight. I think Google can see this and is the reason they are pulling back the reigns a bit.

I hope Google is successful. I actually do not believe Apple needs competition to innovate, but I do like having alternatives.

There is no alternative to the iPhone now.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This isn't smartphone share per se, so it's a bit off topic, but it shows you where Android is going in the future (nowhere).

iOS on iPads only, has already got more share in the US than Linux, (which was supposed to "conquer the desktop" for the last 10 years now).

With Mac OS-X now at 15% and growing at three times the rest of the market, and iOS growing even faster, Android doesn't really have a chance of being much more than a cheap smartphone alternative for the poor.

If these staggering growth rates continue, and if as many people think, iOS and Mac OS-X are going to merge five years or so, well ...

Linux isn't an OS. The numbers for it are suspect, seeing how it is used on more than just android.

Other than that, those are good numbers for verizon.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The Linux label is a generic for all of the various versions of desktop Linux.

Here is another market share graphic, it combines all iOS devices and basically says the exact same thing.

Net MarketShare

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Linux isn't an OS. The numbers for it are suspect, seeing how it is used on more than just android.

• Reply 47 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member
    For whatever reason either the Linux numbers are off or Android isn't shown at all.

With 350,000 Android mobile devices being registered each day (on average) or nearly 11 million every month for now, it's pretty obvious something is a bit off.

Your chart only shows computer OS's, which included iPads. And Linux computers. But not iPhones. Nor Android phones.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For whatever reason either the Linux numbers are off or Android isn't shown at all.

Quote:

Your chart only shows computer OS's, which included iPads. And Linux computers. But not iPhones. Nor Android phones.

Genius!

Quote:

it's pretty obvious something is a bit off

Yep!
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Genius!Yep!

Well thank you!
  • Reply 50 of 83
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Well thank you!

You're Welcome.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...code=financial

"Best-ever first-quarter increase in total wireless subscribers, up 2.0 million to reach 97.5 million subscribers in service, with gains in every category "

More to the point, the number of new iPhone activations from AT&T easily dwarfed Verizon and with the iPhone comes heavy data usage that brings higher rates of revenues, per user back to AT&T.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can’t wait to see the growth rate of the iPhone on Verizon compared to Android on Verizon. Maybe when I can show the iPhone on Verizon having stealing marketshare from Android or at least stalling it those who think marketshare is everything when talking about Android will finally realize that metric is pointless in and of itself.

You won't really see those numbers until July (give or take) as contracts start coming due. It will also be a bit hard to judge how it goes unless we can get accurate % break down based on OS, AND overall number of users using smartphones.

There are a lot of people who only considered getting a smartphone if it was an iphone (for whatever reason) and a ton of people coming due for new phones now where the previous "Top" phone for verizon was a Blackberry storm. The number of smartphone users overall is going to skyrocket in the next few years, which will help everyone's numbers.

It's one of the problems of going off of analysts or PR reports. It's really hard to get the data you need.

Quote:

Are we taking units in channel or activations? Note the pre-order sales starting back on February 06th also part of this two week number.

I think the 260k number is activations. Since it came from a report that Verizon had 500,000 LTE Subscribers.

Also, best buy was the only major company accepting pre-orders that earlier, and they pissed a lot of those customers off because they promised the phone by a certain date when they didn't have any official word.

Quote:

What happened with the next 2 weeks of sales? Note the iPhone has 3 years running of selling more units after the holiday quarter than in it despite being at the lower half of its suspected refresh cycle.

The iphone also has three years of consistent, well done advertising that Verizon customers watched and now finally have the chance to purchase the phone. Also, most customers have no idea what a refresh cycle is. You'd be surprised how many are honestly surprised when Apple comes out with a new phone in the summer, like it was unexpected.

Quote:

Also note this is Verizon’s flagship Android phone so the sales should be higher for this device over other Android-based devices IMO. But the question is the longevity. Is that number sustainable each month? Will HTC be able to make a profit before they have to come out with a “new hotness” again? How will the iPhone on Verizon affect the results of mobile OSes used on Verizon’s network?

(Just questions I have, Freshmaker, not so much directed at you as just being put on the table).

It's Verizon's flagship, but it's also $50 more than other high end phones. And that's high enough to price it out of the "Justified" range for a lot of customers. Remember, the majority of customers want the most "expensive" phone they can get for the cheapest on contract. A customer WILL go with a phone they don't like as much if it is $10 cheaper, let alone $50. Customers are addicted to the "phones should be free on contract" so once they accept there is a cost associated with them, they still look for the cheapest they can get.

This is how Carriers, like Verizon. Can get away with selling a Higher end phone (like the Incredible) at only $100 without having to worry about killing off the sale of their lower end phones (like the Vortex)

It's too early to know how this will pan out for Verizon or HTC. HTC's only had ONE other high end android phone on verizon (the Incredible) and one entry (The Eris). I don't know what their specific sell through is with Verizon, but they're doing rather well when it comes to sales AND profits as a whole.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

More to the point, the number of new iPhone activations from AT&T easily dwarfed Verizon and with the iPhone comes heavy data usage that brings higher rates of revenues, per user back to AT&T.

Not really. Heavy data usage=More costs. Carriers want you to get the devices and then use them on someone elses network (wifi) for most data, so they can keep a greater portion of your data payment as profit.

Also, the iPhone will net a carrier less money than another smartphone. (Higher Subsidy, less control over product, etc) but potentially gives them more customers willing to pay for a data plan who wouldn't otherwise so they hope to make up for the lower profit per device in volume.

Apple makes a KILLING on per device sales, while HTC/Motorola/Samsung have to aim for volume instead. For carriers, the profits of those two groups is reversed.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:

Can?t wait to see the growth rate of the iPhone on Verizon compared to Android on Verizon. Maybe when I can show the iPhone on Verizon having stealing marketshare from Android or at least stalling it those who think marketshare is everything when talking about Android will finally realize that metric is pointless in and of itself.

Are we taking units in channel or activations? Note the pre-order sales starting back on February 06th also part of this two week number.

What happened with the next 2 weeks of sales? Note the iPhone has 3 years running of selling more units after the holiday quarter than in it despite being at the lower half of its suspected refresh cycle.

Also note this is Verizon?s flagship Android phone so the sales should be higher for this device over other Android-based devices IMO. But the question is the longevity. Is that number sustainable each month? Will HTC be able to make a profit before they have to come out with a ?new hotness? again? How will the iPhone on Verizon affect the results of mobile OSes used on Verizon?s network?

(Just questions I have, Freshmaker, not so much directed at you as just being put on the table).

Those are actual sales numbers. It has been selling well overall, primarily I would assume because it is the only LTE phone currently available. HTC phones are generally pretty good/reliable, obviously nowhere near the experience of an iPhone. In the long term I don't know how the longevity of it would look. Until there are more competitors in the LTE space it is hard to say. The speed boost is significant, and that is very important for some folks. Everyone I know with one is getting ~24Mbs up and down.

I think right now some folks are in a holding pattern. They would really like a Verizon iPhone, but are waiting on the annual refresh. The fact that the iP4 sold over 2M CDMA units in 8 weeks or whatever, with customers assuming at the time there would be a June refresh, is incredible.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Those are actual sales numbers. It has been selling well overall, primarily I would assume because it is the only LTE phone currently available. HTC phones are generally pretty good/reliable, obviously nowhere near the experience of an iPhone. In the long term I don't know how the longevity of it would look. Until there are more competitors in the LTE space it is hard to say. The speed boost is significant, and that is very important for some folks. Everyone I know with one is getting ~24Mbs up and down.

I think right now some folks are in a holding pattern. They would really like a Verizon iPhone, but are waiting on the annual refresh. The fact that the iP4 sold over 2M CDMA units in 8 weeks or whatever, with customers assuming at the time there would be a June refresh, is incredible.

Thunderbolt sales may have dropped off.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

We have another Samab on our hands. Geez........

The ironic thing is that most of you DON'T care about market share. So what if Nokia sells 10x more phones than Apple, Apple makes the most money. So what if brand x sells more PC's than Apple, Apple makes more money.

Somehow Verizon Wireless doesn't care about getting cheap Tracfone prepaid MVNO customers and $2 a month ARPU kindle customers --- and you have a problem with that?

Verizon concentrating on the top of the cream postpaid customers is the same as Apple concentrating on the top of the cream smartphone customers.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Quote:

I think that's just the typical limited time Amazon sale. Expires in a few days I believe.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    That was the whole point of the chart. Was to show how the iPad is fairing against desktop OS. Android nor the iPhone have anything to do with that comparison.

Quote:

• Reply 59 of 83
    In those comparisons while Apple has a small market share - Apple is making a lot more money per computer sold than every other computer manufacturer. While Android has a growing market share - Apple is making a lot more money than every other phone manufacturer.

Is Verizon making a lot more money than AT&T?

You with this Tracfone thing again. AT&T has no relationship or affiliation to Tracfone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The ironic thing is that most of you DON'T care about market share. So what if Nokia sells 10x more phones than Apple, Apple makes the most money. So what if brand x sells more PC's than Apple, Apple makes more money.

Somehow Verizon Wireless doesn't care about getting cheap Tracfone prepaid MVNO customers and $2 a month ARPU kindle customers --- and you have a problem with that?

Verizon concentrating on the top of the cream postpaid customers is the same as Apple concentrating on the top of the cream smartphone customers.

• Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:

Or more than likely Amazon feels like they can get away with violating the MAP'd price for the device.

Companies like Amazon have a fraction of the costs associated with selling cellphones that traditional brick and mortar stores do. This is why they can sell the phones for a LOT cheaper than stores and still turn a profit (plus their volume will put them in higher commission tier)

If Apple would let them get away with it, they'd be selling the iphone for a lower price as well. Not because it isn't selling well, but because it would increase their sales volume. But Apple (smartly) tells companies "If you violate the pricing we set up, we'll pull all our products from your store."